Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

And that's kind of the problem with "do your own research"

You are overthinking it.

When these people say "your own research", they mean "watch youtube videos".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Antigravitas posted:

You are overthinking it.

When these people say "your own research", they mean "watch youtube videos".

Well yeah, that's the problem, they don't know what research is. It's worse than a cargo cult. At least cargo cultists are going through the motions without understanding.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've come to the realization that I'm woefully unqualified to research things outside a very narrow range of personal expertise.

I've got a good number of heuristics to sniff out an obvious scam, so I'm not helpless, but how the hell am I going to figure out which microwave I should buy? I actually know how those work on a theoretical level, but that's not going to help one bit when it comes to reliability and quality of cooking.

I can get some info out of reviews, but that only goes so far.

Ultimately, I decided to shell out for a subscription to Consumer Reports. All my friends and coworkers know I have it, so I get to be the go-to guy when someone needs a new fridge.

If I were to try and replicate their process, which honestly is probably lacking, I'd have to spend an absurd amount of money.

And that's kind of the problem with "do your own research"

As an aside, in basically all of the English speaking world, the actual microwave oven part of a microwave unit that you'd buy from just about every retailer comes from the same Midea factory. So if you're trying to pick a microwave, you just need to focus on the soft features and build quality for the outer shell.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

Biden offhandedly calling someone flatlander woman checks out.

but Ana Navarro is still alive??

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

CuddleCryptid posted:

If someone worked in management at a fast food place they can correct me but my understanding was that it was what percentage of the total revenue for the hour went to labor. It was constantly tracked because if things were slow and it crept up then someone had to leave. However there were definitely fixed costs and some total averages associated with it because you could have a completely dead hour and labor wouldn't be 100%. The "ideal" was 10-12% for a sustainable hour so that means one dollar of revenue for every ten went to workers.

But it's not for nothing that it was an hourly metric and a handful of orders would cover even a doubling of wages, because it wouldn't change any of the other fixed costs associated in that metric.

I worked a lot of years and McDonald's, most of them management, but in Sweden. Might be slight differences.

Labor percentage/hour was only counted against sales. 1 worker earning 10 bucks/h, 100 bucks in sales for that hour. Labor cost is 10%. Did not include rent, electricity, other utilities, food cost or even the tax on labor that went directly to the government, at least I don't think so. (in Sweden, if you make 100 sek you pay maybe 25 sek tax, but your employer pays 33 sek in taxes before you see that 100 sek. That tax is for your pension and some other stuff)

Labor cost is not the biggest cost, but the easiest to manage and control, for every hour. You gotta squeeze labor cost during rush hour, so you don't get chewed out by your boss when it's like 400% at night when you are cleaning the kitchen.

It is also deceptive, as 400% labor cost on 50 bucks is far, far less than rush hour where its maybe 11% on 1500 bucks.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

nagel posted:

It is also deceptive, as 400% labor cost on 50 bucks is far, far less than rush hour where its maybe 11% on 1500 bucks.

Unless I'm doing this wrong, 200>165?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

nagel posted:

I worked a lot of years and McDonald's, most of them management, but in Sweden. Might be slight differences.

Labor percentage/hour was only counted against sales. 1 worker earning 10 bucks/h, 100 bucks in sales for that hour. Labor cost is 10%. Did not include rent, electricity, other utilities, food cost or even the tax on labor that went directly to the government, at least I don't think so. (in Sweden, if you make 100 sek you pay maybe 25 sek tax, but your employer pays 33 sek in taxes before you see that 100 sek. That tax is for your pension and some other stuff)

Labor cost is not the biggest cost, but the easiest to manage and control, for every hour. You gotta squeeze labor cost during rush hour, so you don't get chewed out by your boss when it's like 400% at night when you are cleaning the kitchen.

Thank you for the clarification, I was only seeing it from the other side so I wasn't sure. I would imagine that the math works the same everywhere within the same corporation, so I don't see why it would change between Sweden and USA.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I feel like I'm at risk of underestimating the approach that's used in food service for labor costs, but it seems like it's a very simplified set of maxims/rules-of-thumb to make it accessible to people who would be overwhelmed by a more sophisticated approach.

I remember talking to someone who used to work in that stuff and he was really stuck on the idea that labor costs should be a certain percentage, rather than just being a variable expense like rent, materials, insurance, etc.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Every single manager, business owner, CEO, etc is obsessed with the idea that labor costs too much. Every single one of them. No exceptions. They will pay crazy markups on all sorts of things, allow endless inefficiencies, but labor, labor they always fixate on. Every single person with more than $50 in their wallet wants to own slaves.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Every single manager, business owner, CEO, etc is obsessed with the idea that labor costs too much. Every single one of them. No exceptions. They will pay crazy markups on all sorts of things, allow endless inefficiencies, but labor, labor they always fixate on. Every single person with more than $50 in their wallet wants to own slaves.
Funny how their own compensation never factors into this huh.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Of course -- they aren't "labor", they're management. As far as they're concerned, the entire business would crumble without them

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
It's infuriating in my work. Every one of my employees is responsible for about 5x their salary (minimum) in revenue. I could add 10 new employees and they'd each more than pay for themselves.

But no, numbers aren't where they want so upper management not only won't let us hire more, but won't let us backfill an employee that left.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
One common argument is that the minimum wage should be low so small business owners have fewer barriers to breaking even. But they don't make those arguments for other business expenses. Shouldn't real estate agencies and landlords give small business owners a discount on their rentals and purchases of commercial buildings? Shouldn't wholesalers supply small businesses at a lower cost? Shouldn't ad buys be cheaper for small businesses? It would be so much easier for these mom and pop operations if every expense involved in running a business was discounted for them! So why is labor singled out as the one unjust expense?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Hell, universal health care would be HUGE for small businesses. One of the big things that gives multinationals a competitive advantage in hiring is that they can give their employees better insurance packages. They also have the resources to have an HR department to handle these things, where a small business owner has to navigate the market themselves.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pththya-lyi posted:

One common argument is that the minimum wage should be low so small business owners have fewer barriers to breaking even. But they don't make those arguments for other business expenses. Shouldn't real estate agencies and landlords give small business owners a discount on their rentals and purchases of commercial buildings? Shouldn't wholesalers supply small businesses at a lower cost? Shouldn't ad buys be cheaper for small businesses? It would be so much easier for these mom and pop operations if every expense involved in running a business was discounted for them! So why is labor singled out as the one unjust expense?
They do tho.

It's just not a big deal because who cares

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Pththya-lyi posted:

I don't often encounter arguments against minimum wage but am stealing these questions to ask the next person who tries to make them :cheers:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah so you mean like how the wild west told people to disarm at town entrances or bars?

oh and that real cow boys were farm hands that did daily farm work and not some traveling yahoo that kept traveling all over the country for "reasons" , oh and also maybe a white minority occupation.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PhazonLink posted:

ah so you mean like how the wild west told people to disarm at town entrances or bars?

oh and that real cow boys were farm hands that did daily farm work and not some traveling yahoo that kept traveling all over the country for "reasons" , oh and also maybe a white minority occupation.

And also that they hosed each other a lot.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I hate it because it just has the itsy bitsy enough of a truth to it, but in the complete wrong direction.

Let's talk about it! Let's talk about how the US Govt. disarmed native tribes before backpedaling on treaties, which was one of the leading causes of the Lakota rebellion that led to Wounded Knee.

Let's talk about how the Black Panthers were at a level of social acceptance through community action and self-policing that Ronnie Reagan signed anti-gun laws to disarm them so they could be abused by police.

We can talk about how most of the mass disarmament movements actually used in history were against vulnerable populations in service to right-wing authoritarians. We know exactly what kind of control this poster would support if you showed him gun clubs providing security outside of a drag show and the fact that he wants to 'educate' is insulting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
MAH SECOND AMENDMENT types should really get it through their heads that their favourite leader didn't disarm the population, he heavily encouraged everyone to learn shooting from a young age except for specific bits of the population

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I hope people tap this sign when chuds complain about drag queen Story hour.
https://twitter.com/TeriBull2/status/1614576150126239751?t=I4W3QzrPPv6f03FMDSFCkw&s=19

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/TeriBull2/status/1614576150126239751?t=I4W3QzrPPv6f03FMDSFCkw&s=19

Yeah that's been the rule for a while, that's how the missed trigger gambit works.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Panfilo posted:

Why?
There's always an exception to that when THEY'RE the upset ones.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

the_steve posted:

Why?
There's always an exception to that when THEY'RE the upset ones.

2nd amendment has a way of making their triggers your problem.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

You know, like black union veterans in the reconstruction south.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Proust Malone posted:

You know, like black union veterans in the reconstruction south.

Those don't count. And don't look too hard at most of those other cited incidents

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

quote:

George Phillips, an elderly man from Walled Lake, Michigan, was going up to bed, when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door to go turnoff the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked "Is someone in your house?" He said "No," but some people are breaking into my garden shed and stealing from me ." Then the police dispatcher said "All patrols are busy, you should lock your doors and an officer will be along when one is available"

George said, "Okay." He hung up the phone and counted to 30. Then he phoned the police again.

"Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now because I just shot and killed them both; the dogs are eating them right now," and he hung up.

Within five minutes, six police cars, a SWAT team, a helicopter, two fire trucks, a paramedic and an ambulance showed up at the Phillips' residence, and caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the policemen said to George, "I thought you said that you'd shot them!"
George said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"

(True Story)

Don't mess with old people

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i know I'm arguing with a "true story", but yes, theft of property should be a far less an urgent concern then dead/dying people

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

World Famous W posted:

i know I'm arguing with a "true story", but yes, theft of property should be a far less an urgent concern then dead/dying people
Ah, you say that, but you are forgetting that the thieves were young and brown, and trying to steal the white boomer’s precious law equipment.

edit: autocorrect caused a shameful error

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 21, 2023

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I was doubtful of that post until I saw (True story), why would that be there if it wasn’t true?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Red Oktober posted:

I was doubtful of that post until I saw (True story), why would that be there if it wasn’t true?

They actually got it backwards, it's story = true. They also missed a semicolon. Very sloppy coding.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Ah, you say that, but you are forgetting that the thief’s were young and brown, and trying to steal the white boomer’s precious law equipment.

He didn't actually shoot them.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I used to work on the emergency line for the police in the UK. There were a couple of times that people said exactly this to try and get a quicker response.

Only it would massively backfire, because now instead of getting the regular unit on the way, we now had to arrange the firearms unit to go instead, which would mean it would take longer.

Also it could mean the prison making the call would get arrested for making a false report to the police.

When explaining the above to the caller, they would go back on what they had just said.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

PerniciousKnid posted:

He didn't actually shoot them.
I didn’t say he did, I was commenting on the perceived importance.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tsietisin posted:

When explaining the above to the caller, they would go back on what they had just said.

That's way funnier

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
This one has been around for more than twenty years:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tired-of-waiting-for-you/

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
so what we have proven is that bigger budgets don't improve response time, ergo police don't need more money.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I love that Walled Lake, MI is where this is set because I can guarantee the writer lives there since absolutely no one knows or gives a poo poo about it unless they live there.

It's like three random suburban blocks in the middle of metro detroit that contain two overpriced dispensaries and a bunch of million dollar houses facing part of a lake with the rest of the "city" being just 70's single story homes. Who cares. You only know it even exists if you live or work there. I only know it because I went to one of those misbegotten dispensaries once. Self insert much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I love that Walled Lake, MI is where this is set because I can guarantee the writer lives there since absolutely no one knows or gives a poo poo about it unless they live there.

It's like three random suburban blocks in the middle of metro detroit that contain two overpriced dispensaries and a bunch of million dollar houses facing part of a lake with the rest of the "city" being just 70's single story homes. Who cares. You only know it even exists if you live or work there. I only know it because I went to one of those misbegotten dispensaries once. Self insert much?

I canvassed Walled Lake during the last midterm and it loving sucked.