Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

leftist heap posted:

We're gonna get right on making streets safer any day now.

tired: vision-zero
wired: vision vision-zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

leftist heap posted:

We're gonna get right on making streets safer any day now.

Vision zero is loving bullshit anyway, you know the solution isn't going to be "cars are overwhelmingly what kill people so lets have a lot less cars and a lot more everything else" it will be "we need to make cars even safer (for the occupants) and spend a ton of money on road infrastructure while also strongly discouraging or preventing walking or cycling as those are inherently dangerous activities".

Also my partner and I were walking towards the local shopping area yesterday and she commented on how terrible it is to walk to. It's was probably built in the 80's or 90's and is the kind of place where the shops are surrounded on all sides by carpark with zero thought put towards how a pedestrian would get to the shops without having to mingle with all the cars.

The same place also has this absolute basket case of an intersection, no traffic lights or pedestrian crossing or anything, basically just good luck and hope that cars coming towards you are actually indicating correctly (lol we almost got hit by a tesla who was not indicating).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Some brain genius managed to flip a car in rush hour traffic downtown.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

good.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm impressed that the Tesla didn't explode during the whole debacle.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there has been some progress made here in the main two streets that go through what is called uptown, hennepin and lyndale avenue

lyndale had a 4 to 3 conversion

hennepin also has a major rework approved

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/Download/RCAV2/27339/Hennepin-Ave-S-Street-Reconstruction-Project-Layout.pdf

unfortunately our dumbass mayor vetoed having the bus only lanes be 24/7 but whatever, it's definitely an improvement

some dumbass "business owner/investor" wrote an op-ed bitching about the loss of street parking lol (his wealthy suburban customers demand being able to park right in front!)

for context

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 21:03 on Jan 20, 2023

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

BonHair posted:

Countdown to the constitutional amendment securing the unalienable right of every American to drive a car wherever and whenever they want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZITP93pqtdQ

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

always laugh at this vid

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's because it's funny especially taht gary johnson is literally less stupid than the average libertarian

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lib and let die posted:

I'm impressed that the Tesla didn't explode during the whole debacle.

How are Teslas still legal??

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Corrupt oligarchy

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

hennepin also has a major rework approved

Obligatory... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlI7vaxBm9o

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
so a few weeks ago some lady took her SUV off road and it made the local news.

https://westseattleblog.com/2023/01/1-injured-in-crash-near-west-end-of-west-seattle-bridge/

but what I just noticed is that she's the first comment on the story and here is what she goes with:

quote:

It was me! I miraculously walked away with only normal seatbelt injuries. I am concerned about that top section of the West Seattle bridge. I don’t know if anyone else has had this experience but it’s awfully slick as you come around that curve. I felt my Yukon truck do a small shimmy and next thing I knew I wasn’t a full hydroplane flying across both lanes into the pole. The electrical box that controls the signals flew up into the bushes a good 10 feet that’s a very large box to move that far. I think Estrom should take a closer look at the pavement irregularities around that slick spot same as is you’re coming up Roxbury heading towards white center. I’m just grateful no one else was in my vehicle, and no one else was injured. Take care West Seattle Peeps.

the way she typo'd "was in" as "wasn't" makes me think she uses voice to text a lot.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
albert burneko: car brain

https://defector.com/how-not-to-interrogate-the-ethics-of-teslas-busted-autopilot-technology

Some joker says that Tesla who put it into killer robot mode have made the informed choice to be Tesla's guinea pigs for autopilot.
Albert writes that, no, the guinea pigs are the other people walking and driving on the road have been made into unwilling test subjects for autopilot.

My carbrained brother, no road users other than drivers have made the informed, voluntary choice to die as red pulp on a front air dam--that's okay, I'll still keep cooking that chili recipe.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Greg12 posted:

albert burneko: car brain

https://defector.com/how-not-to-interrogate-the-ethics-of-teslas-busted-autopilot-technology

Some joker says that Tesla who put it into killer robot mode have made the informed choice to be Tesla's guinea pigs for autopilot.
Albert writes that, no, the guinea pigs are the other people walking and driving on the road have been made into unwilling test subjects for autopilot.

My carbrained brother, no road users other than drivers have made the informed, voluntary choice to die as red pulp on a front air dam--that's okay, I'll still keep cooking that chili recipe.

alberts right

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

lobster shirt posted:

alberts right

yes, and he's carbrained.

human-pilot cars kill over 40,000 people every year in america alone.

just like the people the autopilot kills did not give informed consent to be sacrificed to self-driving automobility,

the people who aren't in the cars did not give informed consent to be sacrificed to automobility.

his carbrain keeps him from seeing that.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lmao i wanna be a libertarian now :madmax:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
keep the nanny state OUT of my air fryer

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Blackhawk posted:

Vision zero is loving bullshit anyway, you know the solution isn't going to be "cars are overwhelmingly what kill people so lets have a lot less cars and a lot more everything else" it will be "we need to make cars even safer (for the occupants) and spend a ton of money on road infrastructure while also strongly discouraging or preventing walking or cycling as those are inherently dangerous activities".

This was sorta the plot to a short story I read once. Modern cars are replaces by these weird cars that keep the driver perfectly safe from collisions so naturally drivers start hunting down and hitting any old roadsters they see. It also inspired the Rush song Red Barchetta

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

so a few weeks ago some lady took her SUV off road and it made the local news.

https://westseattleblog.com/2023/01/1-injured-in-crash-near-west-end-of-west-seattle-bridge/

but what I just noticed is that she's the first comment on the story and here is what she goes with:

the way she typo'd "was in" as "wasn't" makes me think she uses voice to text a lot.
JFC, like 80% of the comments were people saying they’d shimmy there in the wet and there must be something wrong with the road, and like one guy saying “hey guys maybe you should drive appropriately for the conditions and slow down around curves.”

Never change, West Seattle.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

looks like this is where she crashed

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5701245,-122.3727633,3a,75y,226.99h,85.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seSTZZCXBg8mo4SZev00UPg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

interestingly it's an uphill curve, so to collect enough water to hydroplane there it would have to be raining pretty hard

definitely not a time and place to stomp on the gas on a 400hp truck

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dustcat posted:

looks like this is where she crashed

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5701245,-122.3727633,3a,75y,226.99h,85.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seSTZZCXBg8mo4SZev00UPg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

interestingly it's an uphill curve, so to collect enough water to hydroplane there it would have to be raining pretty hard

definitely not a time and place to stomp on the gas on a 400hp truck

But the commercial shows a Yukon doing 70mph in the snow

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I had to drive today and burned with self hatred and misanthropy. Then I saw a guy riding a bicycle with trailer out in the suburbs and that cheered me up a bit, but I had a smile on my face seeing a dude riding a horse through the suburbs.

Destroy all cars. More bikes and horses.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I had to drive today and burned with self hatred and misanthropy. Then I saw a guy riding a bicycle with trailer out in the suburbs and that cheered me up a bit, but I had a smile on my face seeing a dude riding a horse through the suburbs.

Destroy all cars. More bikes and horses.

Say neigh to cars.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Greg12 posted:

yes, and he's carbrained.

human-pilot cars kill over 40,000 people every year in america alone.

just like the people the autopilot kills did not give informed consent to be sacrificed to self-driving automobility,

the people who aren't in the cars did not give informed consent to be sacrificed to automobility.

his carbrain keeps him from seeing that.

your reporting here is confusing, because in your own summary you say he described them as unwilling test subjects. we would typically not expect consent from the unwilling.

e: ok i think i see what you are getting at, in that the self-driving part is not very important relative to the car part and you wish to focus on the broader issue. or at least this is my best guess.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Good news, everyone! Fiat are equipping their newest performance EV with an external subwoofer to finally solve the worst problem with electric cars :toot:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

an actual frog posted:

Good news, everyone! Fiat are equipping their newest performance EV with an external subwoofer to finally solve the worst problem with electric cars :toot:

I cannot express how much this pisses me off. I've been supportive of the whole "hey if you have to buy a new car, at leasst an ev is nice because it makes the road quieter/nicer for pedestrians and cyclists noise wise" but the noise generator poo poo is INFURIATING.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

engines arent even that loud, its tire noise thats defeaning. a problem that will not be solved by a heavier vehicle.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

lobster shirt posted:

engines arent even that loud, its tire noise thats defeaning. a problem that will not be solved by a heavier vehicle.

Tires do have a baseline road noise however engines are loud as all gently caress. I walk at least a few miles a day and envitably multiple stupid fucks who tune their engines as loud as they possibly can roll by and its like my god drat ears bleed.

I live on a semi busy 4 lane in the city and I get woken up almost every night at least once by someone BRBRRRTRBRBTBTBBRBRBBTBTBTBRBBTBTTing as loud as possible

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

silicone thrills posted:

I live on a semi busy 4 lane in the city and I get woken up almost every night at least once by someone BRBRRRTRBRBTBTBBRBRBBTBTBTBRBBTBTTing as loud as possible
Yup :(

Some unrelated good news. In London at least, it seems that closing some residential streets to through-traffic doesn't shove all the traffic onto other routes but can actually lead to a reduction in overall car journeys? :monocle: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/19/low-traffic-neighbourhoods-boundary-roads-london

quote:

Low-traffic neighbourhoods significantly reduce the number of motor vehicles within their boundaries without appearing to push traffic on to roads around their edges, the most comprehensive study yet of such schemes in the UK has concluded.

The research, which was based on traffic count data before and after the installation of 46 so-called LTNs in London, found a reduction in motor traffic within the zones of 32.7% when measured as the median, and a 46.9% drop when calculated as the mean.

quote:

Prof Rachel Aldred, the director of the ATA and co-author of the study, said: “The research indicates there has been overall ‘traffic evaporation’ as a result of these schemes, as the mean average reduction in motor traffic on internal roads is around 10 times higher than the mean average increase on boundary roads, adjusting for background trends.

“This suggests that not only do LTNs have substantial benefits inside their boundaries, but they can also contribute to wider traffic reduction goals.”

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In Omaha, a Streetcar Named Undesirable by Warren Buffett:

quote:

For 60 years, I have been interested in the transit industry. In three cities — Dallas, Buffalo and New Bedford — I was a modest-sized owner for many years and in other large cities I have been a creditor of transit operators. I have seen projections and listened to proposals, some by the well-intentioned and some by profit-seeking promotors and advisors. Disappointments almost invariably have followed. The mistakes became imbedded and the costs rolled on.

Public transit, it should be emphasized, makes sense as a matter of social equity. It requires subsidies, but it helps many.

Streetcars, however, are expensive and have very limited utility. The population actually served is small and routes are inflexible. Residents can be far better served by extended or more intensive service by the bus system. As population, commerce and desired destinations shift, a bus system can be re-engineered. Streetcars keep mindlessly rolling on, fueled by large public subsidies. Mistakes are literally cast in cement.

Omaha has good leadership and a great future. I like to brag about it as my hometown. Our citizens deserve a vote on this huge commitment.

If granted, I will vote “no.”

Shut the gently caress up, Warren Buffett.

quote:

In the Midtown neighborhood near downtown, Rebecca Boylan, whose frame shop has been on Farnam Street for 27 years, said she had mixed feelings about the streetcar plans.

She likes the idea of modernizing downtown and luring more tourists there. But she is concerned that her taxes will go up, since her store is situated right on the streetcar line. The pictures of streetcar designs she had seen looked a little goofy, she thought, like the pseudo-futuristic pods in “Sleeper,” the Woody Allen film from 1973.

Shut the gently caress up, Rebecca Boylan. You probably drive a Pontiac Aztek and park it in front of your store.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Here's my new favorite sub-genre of car activity: using cars as weapons to take stuff you want to have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrQPQDcnAss

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lol, she is literally worried that the value of her store's location will go up, because that will increase the taxes? She does realize that the value of a store location is basically a function of how many potential customers come by it, right? And that having public transport means more people at her shop? I know it's the wrong colour sort of people

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

BonHair posted:

Lol, she is literally worried that the value of her store's location will go up, because that will increase the taxes? She does realize that the value of a store location is basically a function of how many potential customers come by it, right? And that having public transport means more people at her shop? I know it's the wrong colour sort of people

well...she's kinda right? on top of paying more property tax (rent?) she will make more money from more customers, putting her into a higher tax bracket and costing her even more in personal income taxes. Someone has to take a minute and think this crazy plan through.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

“Things can’t get better for young people because a boomer is upset about streetcars looking like they came out of an irrelevant fifty year old movie” sounds about right

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Boomers are uniquely bad at judging situations involving multiple factors.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

silicone thrills posted:

Tires do have a baseline road noise however engines are loud as all gently caress. I walk at least a few miles a day and envitably multiple stupid fucks who tune their engines as loud as they possibly can roll by and its like my god drat ears bleed.

It's not the engine. They changed their exhaust to be louder. It's like sticking a whistle on an exhaust pipe to whistle all the time.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Here's my new favorite sub-genre of car activity: using cars as weapons to take stuff you want to have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrQPQDcnAss

Ironically a bike store near me was robbed 3 times like this.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

It's not the engine. They changed their exhaust to be louder. It's like sticking a whistle on an exhaust pipe to whistle all the time.

:rolleyes:

neato. Thank you for that moment of car pedantry.

No loving poo poo sherlock

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ironically a bike store near me was robbed 3 times like this.

The price of bikes is too drat high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

if we're gonna be pedantic, you're talking about something else entirely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXow3d3-b0