Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
In the Elvis movie from last year I thought it was a joke that Elvis’ shady personal doctor was called Dr. Nick, but it turns out that was the real guy the Simpsons character was named after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Dango Bango posted:

Went and going the video to post, mostly because of how amazing Sharpe's sweater is:
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1616653407015641089

The “they didn’t want this smoke” crowing after nothing happens is always so tiresome. Like, the first Grizz there is Steven Adams. I don’t care how many spin classes you do a day I’m pretty sure they’ll be cleaning you off the court with a mop if they let him get his hands on you.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I have faith in Sharpe to hold his own against the young guys, but Steven Adams is top ten motherfucker you don't want to meet in a dark alley across all sport.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

“You don’t mess with the Grizzlies this close to MLK Day” -Bill Simmons

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is that an actual quote? So insane but so believable. I really can't tell.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Dry January check in: my heart thanks me

Basically after dealing with a cold in the middle of the month (which caused that small spike), mixed with working out 4-5 times a week, my resting heart rate is going down a lot! I've already lost a good amount of weight too.

I kinda hate that alcohol is so intertwined with society, because yeah it's not really helping us.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Basically after dealing with a cold in the middle of the month (which caused that small spike), mixed with working out 4-5 times a week, my resting heart rate is going down a lot! I've already lost a good amount of weight too.

I kinda hate that alcohol is so intertwined with society, because yeah it's not really helping us.

congrats man, that's awesome!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is that an actual quote? So insane but so believable. I really can't tell.

It’s not, but he did tie Grizzlies fans’ playoff anxiety to the assassination of MLK years ago in a podcast.

Edit: I remember hearing it on my own, but it’s chronicled here

https://deadspin.com/bill-simmons-thinks-memphis-fans-get-tense-because-mlk-510443204

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 21, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Oh is that what’s going on with me?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

General Dog posted:

Oh is that what’s going on with me?

yes.

ever wake up after a hard night of drinking with a racing pulse, nightsweats? mild withdrawal symptoms.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

yes.

ever wake up after a hard night of drinking with a racing pulse, nightsweats? mild withdrawal symptoms.

Not really. I also started calorie counting again after Christmas and dropped 10 lbs so maybe that’s part of it too

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Covid sucks I’m so booorreeedd

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

T-Square posted:

I ended up spending hours listening to lo fi and reading my kindle when I had covid. Read three entire books in about 5 days.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Oh god I'm eating the Samyang 2x spicy buldak ramen and my entire world is fire. It tastes good!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Its Rinaldo posted:

Oh god I'm eating the Samyang 2x spicy buldak ramen and my entire world is fire. It tastes good!

six hours later....

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That's Future Rinaldo's problem. He's always a chump who has to take whatever I give him.

Unlike that dick Past Rinaldo, who always gives me the poo poo jobs.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

i'm always in withdrawal

withdrawal from no new king of the hill episode

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

What's a good place to start in Crusader Kings 3 if I've done 90% of Ireland about three times between CK2 and CK3? Understand most of the basics, but not ready for a crucible.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Blowjob Overtime posted:

What's a good place to start in Crusader Kings 3 if I've done 90% of Ireland about three times between CK2 and CK3? Understand most of the basics, but not ready for a crucible.

What kind for story do you want to tell? Do you want to start tribal and reform?

HAllstien is an easy start. You start as a single county Norse count and can raid and terror your way into forming Norman culture. I think only starting feudal norse

India and the Tibetan plateau are also fun if you want to get out of Europe. Doing a Siberia run is interesting cu you essentially spend 300 years getting ready for the mongols is fun (they still fuckdd me up)

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

EmbryoSteve posted:

What kind for story do you want to tell? Do you want to start tribal and reform?

HAllstien is an easy start. You start as a single county Norse count and can raid and terror your way into forming Norman culture. I think only starting feudal norse

India and the Tibetan plateau are also fun if you want to get out of Europe. Doing a Siberia run is interesting cu you essentially spend 300 years getting ready for the mongols is fun (they still fuckdd me up)

Haven't fired up the game in a while and forgot there were so many recommended starts. Trying Haesteinn.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

T-Square posted:

I caught covid in December in nyc and i was cleared to travel less than 4 days later (which i didn’t but lol).

How many more days ya got

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ornery and Hornery posted:

i'm always in withdrawal

withdrawal from no new king of the hill episode

I read this post moments after seeing this in the GDT:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

1066 Bohemia is pretty easy. You’re a vassal in the Holy Roman Empire, so you’re not too likely to get attacked. You start with house seniority succession, which is kind of weird, but you don’t have to deal with partition.

Haesstein in 867 is pretty good too, it’s a very flexible starting spot.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Is there an Asia expansion pack for Crusader Kings? I'd be interesting in playing if I can be like Song dynasty. On the other hand maybe I just want Harem Politcs: the Game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Is there an Asia expansion pack for Crusader Kings? I'd be interesting in playing if I can be like Song dynasty. On the other hand maybe I just want Harem Politcs: the Game.

they expanded the map out far enough that you can play as provinces on the far-west outer reaches of the Song dynasty, i think they're literally labeled as Expeditionary Provinces

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FizFashizzle posted:

meanwhile in Atlanta, a group of cops murdered someone protesting the construction of their bajillion acre cop academy and somehow none of their cameras were working

There weren’t wearing them. I didn’t know Tort personally, but he’s from my town and we were at a lot of protests together. The local activist community is really loving hurt.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

I caught covid in December in nyc and i was cleared to travel less than 4 days later (which i didn’t but lol).

How many more days ya got

Yeah I thought those guidelines were bullshit back when they changed them, but lmao now that I have it

I’m assuming I was positive by Tuesday based on symptoms, I first tested positive on Thursday and my test instantly went to a full and clear positive test, and I did another one today and the same thing happened. So five days so far, I’m assuming it’ll be at least seven days by the time I test negative lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Tulalip Tulips posted:

They go as far east as Mongolia, Central China, and down to Burma. That’s all in the base game. Politically though, they act essentially the same as Europe. CK3 is really lacking in political variety, everyone is either feudal, clan (which is treated very similar to feudal), and tribal.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I am playing Control and really regretting that I waited son long to play Control

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

T-Square posted:

I just slept a lot to get through it

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://twitter.com/mnateshyamalan/status/1616525841995034624?s=46&t=wDqC9JqmC1giMWLSlpWM9w

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Freaquency posted:

I am playing Control and really regretting that I waited son long to play Control

It owns real hard

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1617145496849596417

predominately asian area

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any good book recommendations? I’ve kind of hit a wall with what to read. I’m open to anything really

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Freaquency posted:

After you finish it, you should look up the speed run with commentary from the devs. It's pretty ridiculous.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Joey Freshwater posted:

Anyone have any good book recommendations? I’ve kind of hit a wall with what to read. I’m open to anything really

If you have any like of history and haven't read it, The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James Hornfischer about the Battle off Samar is amazing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

This is probably a boring overly recommended book that half the thread has read (possibly including you) but I'm finally getting around to Nixonland.

So far I'm having fun? (???) looking up all of the people and events that are randomly mentioned and moved away from that I knew a little but not a lot about [note: much of the further reading is not particularly fun]. There's just a lot there and it's a well documented period that's easy to look up further information online if you're a history dork.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Stephen King’s newest book Fairy Tale is pretty good too

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Breakfast of Champions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I recently chewed through the Rivers of London series (first book is named Midnight Riot in the US, or Rivers of London elsewhere), and liked it a lot, urban magic detective fiction but I enjoyed it way more than the Dresden Files. Or I’m about halfway through the Aubrey-Maturin books by Patrick O’Brien (the movie Master and Commander was derived from them), because I’m apparently an English boomer at heart, but they’re fun white noise reading even if I still can’t remember what half the sailing terms mean.