Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah but if I'm in my base I'm not really expecting to fight stuff / want it to be a safe spot to spawn back in. It sounds like you can kind of trick deathsquitos flying over base walls with the right sort of wall design?

As far as I am aware if you drop lots of workbenches/wards/whatever stops things spawning, they shouldn't spawn in your base. And I would recommend building your plains base on a peninsula.

As soon as I get enough iron for a stone worker I use the stockpile of stone from earlier stages to build a plains fort on a peninsula. The fulings are manageable with good defences and a high tier finewood bow, and with a good island/peninsula setup stuff barely spawns in a position to attack you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oxyclean posted:

How do bases in the plains work? Is silver/mountain tier armor good enough that you don't have to be on constant alert for deathsquitos? Do you have to do all you farming with food buffs? Or will some workbenches keep deathsquito spawns far enough away that you don't have to be worried about being outside?

Thats how the base sort of ended up on my server - a friend found a nice piece of land in the meadows slightly detached from the mainland. '

The initial downside is we had to raise the house up a bit so that the ocean swells wouldn't clip into the house or lift us off our feet, but it probably made the base look much cooler in the long run.

You can shrug off 3-4 deathsquito hits with just Fenris armor.

Unless you're planning on eating nothing??

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If I death spiral it's almost always because I tried to get away with not eating top tier food.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

You can shrug off 3-4 deathsquito hits with just Fenris armor.

Unless you're planning on eating nothing??

I'm just more thinking the situation where you want a plains base you can chill in. But if plains bases are more "eat up, go through the portal from your main base to your plains base, get some farming done, go home" then yeah.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The problem with squitos is that by the time you hear them coming they will hit you if you dont spot them early. It would be nice if wisps acted like a repellant against them sort of how fire works on greydwarfs.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i was wrong we're somehow on day 328. i've been playing this game waaaaay too much

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

I'm just more thinking the situation where you want a plains base you can chill in. But if plains bases are more "eat up, go through the portal from your main base to your plains base, get some farming done, go home" then yeah.

I've had multiple totally chill plains bases, it's quite nice once it's secure. I despise walls so I don't use them.

There's a category of structure called 'Player Base Structures' that suppress spawns like workbenches. They all have the same suppression radius so I typically use benches to cover the whole area carefully (so I can see the radius) then replace them with whatever option on the list looks nicest. In most cases that's a fireplace since it'll burn out and be less noticeable.

There's a small chance fulings will wander in at night so you do have to pay a little bit of attention.

To do this right you have to cover a pretty large area so it's a decent amount of work, but once it's done you can just stop and listen to the grass rustling in the wind without fearing the 'squito buzz.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

No they can absolutely be a place to chill in.

Here's the plains base from my last playthrough I was working on before I got bored, there's enough workbenches/campfires/crafting stations/torches scattered around (some hidden under stone floors, in bushes, etc.) that nothing spawns within the built up area, and nothing will attack the outside (beyond the little half bridge) because it's embedded in the terrain.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 20, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I despise walls so I don't use them.

what is a house besides a bunch of walls :colbert:

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I intended to build a Wizard style tower in the mistlands, but it turned out to be so laborious even with a portal that I gave up. And aesthetically, I don't feel like the black marble stuff meshes well with stone and wood, but maybe I haven't played with it enough.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Glass of Milk posted:

I intended to build a Wizard style tower in the mistlands, but it turned out to be so laborious even with a portal that I gave up. And aesthetically, I don't feel like the black marble stuff meshes well with stone and wood, but maybe I haven't played with it enough.

I think you can get a pretty nice balance that looks good.

We just started retrofitting our servers Great Hall with black marble and Im pretty pleased with how it mixes in with wood and stone so far. Shaping it with those new pieces is a bit weird though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is it not uncommon to get a bunch of mountains with no silver? My friend said they went through at least 3 with the wishbone getting no pings. Think they finally found one but it's a good travel away.

Feels like a real bummer having a decent sized mountain near home...only for it to have no silver. Particularly when there's 4-5 of us playing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Oxyclean posted:

Is it not uncommon to get a bunch of mountains with no silver? My friend said they went through at least 3 with the wishbone getting no pings. Think they finally found one but it's a good travel away.

Feels like a real bummer having a decent sized mountain near home...only for it to have no silver. Particularly when there's 4-5 of us playing.

No; silver and obsidian only spawn above a certain height, so you can quite easily have quite large mountains with none of either.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bleh, one of the mountains seems to be tall enough for the obsidian and drakes, but no silver. I want a refund on this mountain.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Mistlands makes a great home once you're in padded+good weapons, porcupine etc. The dverger towers make a great home, especially if you find one with a big basement. There's enough that you can make a network of them with portals in each. The giant weapons and armor make it really easy.

I added the Tar Valley Chicken Hut out at Tar Valley farms (Taste the Tar difference!) And along with seeker steak and bread living in the Mistlands is becoming really do able.

Now i just need to find more black marble

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

built a rotunda today, not sure what im going to put in it yet. maybe a bunch of portals in a big circle

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JosephSkunk posted:

Mistlands makes a great home once you're in padded+good weapons, porcupine etc. The dverger towers make a great home, especially if you find one with a big basement. There's enough that you can make a network of them with portals in each. The giant weapons and armor make it really easy.

I added the Tar Valley Chicken Hut out at Tar Valley farms (Taste the Tar difference!) And along with seeker steak and bread living in the Mistlands is becoming really do able.

Now i just need to find more black marble

If you have surplus dwarf towers or infested mines you can bring along a stonecutter and just rip them down. There's several hundred marble in each one. It does leave a hideous scar on the landscape so don't do it anywhere you go often.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I was gathering my third boatload of swamp iron and had my first troll raid. Unfortunately, my swamp-adjacent base was still a log cabin (and didn’t have very good walls), so one of the trolls took a solid third of the building out in one swing, including my bed. Not even sure what happens if I die in that state — get sent back to the starting spawn, I assume. Fortunately, I successfully fended off the trolls without dying, then spent the next hour rebuilding in stone.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If you have surplus dwarf towers or infested mines you can bring along a stonecutter and just rip them down. There's several hundred marble in each one. It does leave a hideous scar on the landscape so don't do it anywhere you go often.

Yeah this is what my playgroup did to fund our overly ambitious build. We enacted Operation Locust where we just rolled as a crew dropping stonecutters and workbenches and torn down an entire continent and a half worth of Dvergr structures. Many thousands of black marble.

Tear that poo poo down like you’re a British man who needs fencing for your sheep and all you’ve got is highly pillagable Roman ruins.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rjmccall posted:

I was gathering my third boatload of swamp iron and had my first troll raid. Unfortunately, my swamp-adjacent base was still a log cabin (and didn’t have very good walls), so one of the trolls took a solid third of the building out in one swing, including my bed. Not even sure what happens if I die in that state — get sent back to the starting spawn, I assume. Fortunately, I successfully fended off the trolls without dying, then spent the next hour rebuilding in stone.

More durable than stone is either ditches or earth walls. Start getting those motte and bailey castles going!

And yeah without an active bed you respawn at the stones.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, this base is in an unfortunate location for earth barriers — a hill spur leading way out into the ocean. I’ve cut a (jumpable) ravine through the spur and put my house on the highland, but the enemies just swim around, so I’ll actually need to extend the highland as earth walls way out into the sea if I want to keep them out permanently.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

rjmccall posted:

[a troll smashed] my bed. Not even sure what happens if I die in that state — get sent back to the starting spawn, I assume

That is indeed what happens

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
If you're at all elevated above the water, then you can use the hoe to raise the land around your place and make the walls more sheer so they'll stop your enemies without you needing to build walls. If that helps in your scenario vOv

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Why in the world do Fenrings and Ulvs only drop wolf fangs and not Fenris Hair? Was really hoping for another troll armor situation.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Are you suggesting that Ulv's should drop useful useful Fenris Hair instead of Ulv Trophies which can be used for <checks wiki> nothing at all??

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The drop rates for that armor set are weird anyway since after 5 mountains I have enough fenris hair to make multiple fully upgraded armor sets, yet no cultist trophy to make a base hood for the set.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I find myself in the same place, finally got two in one cave, then remembered the helmet is pretty bad anyway, since it's better to have a silver helmet on for higher armor without a movement penalty.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I find myself in the same place, finally got two in one cave, then remembered the helmet is pretty bad anyway, since it's better to have a silver helmet on for higher armor without a movement penalty.

It has a movement bonus, though. I prefer the bow, so I'll take as much movement speed as I can get.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yes, but most significantly, the drake helm doesn't look that good with the rest of the Fenris set and the hood does. (Also the hood technically still gives 3% more move speed)

I haven't gotten to plains just yet (sort of, im building there because its close to a great location with plains, mistlands, and moder in the mountain there, i just havent killed moder yet) with my current game, but the first thing I plan on trying is seeing how the padded helm looks with the fenris set.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 23, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The answer is "quite good"

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I got the staff of embers and it's pretty cool. I was gonna attempt the queen solo with it, but I didn't know if I should also have the staff of protection. All of the eitr foods don't seem to give a ton of health, so a little extra protection seems like it would be a good idea.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Just started playing this, you all have some beautiful creations. My poo poo looks ghetto af

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Just started playing this, you all have some beautiful creations. My poo poo looks ghetto af

:same:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Rome wasn't built in a day and my Viking castle/palace/rustic cottages weren't my first rodeo.

My first house was probably as poo poo as yours, you just gotta keep at it if you want to create something good.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
My first house killed me with smoke and I destroyed the second by dropping a tree on it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I love how quickly you can die of smoke, motherfucker can run across a whole swamp and then stick a sword in a fire imp’s eye but can’t hold their breath for five seconds

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
The only reason I didn’t kill myself with smoke is because for some reason I could put a campfire down in my bedroom. So I plopped the campfire directly under my nearly floating shanty. I deserve to have been cooked in my sleep.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

rjmccall posted:

I love how quickly you can die of smoke, motherfucker can run across a whole swamp and then stick a sword in a fire imp’s eye but can’t hold their breath for five seconds

Surtr is really quite strong

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Mine started out loving awful and are approaching nice with the stone and iron stuff unlocked. Soooo many hours building and chopping and building and chopping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it's kind of a kick in the dick that stone construction only becomes available at Iron tier. Should be bronze, if not earlier imo. Or maybe with some fancier pieces with higher metal tier upgrades on the stone cutter or something.

And god help anyone who starts building before discovering core wood like we did the first time through :v: