Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
One of the trademarks of the rampant mod is that the attacks don't stop so land mines won't be able to be refreshed like that.

Furthermore they are technologically further down the tree then flamethrower turrets and would be harder to get to, never mind the bots replacing them, before the base is overwhelmed.

Lastly, I really like gun turrets in general and would prefer to use them for this challenge, heck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

One of the trademarks of the rampant mod is that the attacks don't stop so land mines won't be able to be refreshed like that.

Furthermore they are technologically further down the tree then flamethrower turrets and would be harder to get to, never mind the bots replacing them, before the base is overwhelmed.

Lastly, I really like gun turrets in general and would prefer to use them for this challenge, heck!

I think the answer is some kind of modded catapult turret that launches spreads of land mines into the distance, re-seeding the mine field with regularity. Low tech cluster artillery.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Arrath posted:

I think the answer is some kind of modded catapult turret that launches spreads of land mines into the distance, re-seeding the mine field with regularity. Low tech cluster artillery.

I vaguely remember a mod that does exactly that, but no clue what it was called.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I think Renai Transportation can do that with the thrower inserters

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Hero Turrets could help? This will let turrets rank up based on the amount of kills they get. Every new rank week give a combination of damage, range or does upgrades. I've never used it with rampant but it might give the default turrets a better fighting chance

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
I would second hero turrets as a mod that probably fits close-enough to what you want functionally.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm too lazy to photoshop it, but imagine the spider-man comic where he's arguing with the geneticist/dinosaur with the text changed to "but I don't want to use landmine-launcher turrets" etc :cheeky:

Secondly, when I watch Factorio vids I see people add one of something to machines (coal/ammo etc) at a time. Ctrl-clicking sends half a stack, but how do you only send one item at a time?

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Evilreaver posted:

I'm too lazy to photoshop it, but imagine the spider-man comic where he's arguing with the geneticist/dinosaur with the text changed to "but I don't want to use landmine-launcher turrets" etc :cheeky:

Secondly, when I watch Factorio vids I see people add one of something to machines (coal/ammo etc) at a time. Ctrl-clicking sends half a stack, but how do you only send one item at a time?

Z i think?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

By default 'z' will drop one of whatever you are holding either onto the ground or into whatever is beneath your cursor. If you have a big bank of things you can hold Z and waggle your mouse back and forth over them and you'll drop one item every time your cursor moves to a new building.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
dang, 1900 hours in and still learning things. Though Z was just 'litter on the floor', thanks!

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20
Mod edit: removed crypto bullshit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 16, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arrath posted:

A train full of landmines, launched into the forever-horde.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Finished the game a year and change ago, noticed my save was around 110 hours worth of playtime, not bad. Went back with Krastorio and spent an extra 90 hours. I dropped it around AI Cores and took a break. Space Exploration so far has consumed me the most amount of time on account of how much of an expansion this is.

I decided to retry everything from scratch,one save playing Space Exploration, Krastorio 2, and Factorissimo. Kinda wished I played this a whole lot sooner instead of buying so many goddamn packs full of games i'm never playing.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i’m doing a space exploration game with 3 others and it’s a pretty drat fun experience if you’re looking for a 300 hour game. i would not play it without LTN though. space elevator splitting your production, space pipe hell and mining ores from other planets and getting them back with rockets / spaceships are pretty cool as far as puzzles go. circuits are mandatory though you can steal some from the subreddit probably. i do wish things were tweaked a little different, for example there’s no real need to go to other solar systems, matter comes way too late and isn’t very useful as raw k2, and you seem to be able to get to the end with just small mining outposts sending raw ores back - no need to actually build infra anywhere except your main planet and orbit of that main planet. except for maybe sometimes the first refining step (crushing) so the items stack better. there’s a lot gated behind end game packs that would be cool to have earlier and I think you can actually win the game without unlocking stuff like teleportation which is kinda a bummer.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Factorio's price is increasing from $30 to $35, allegedly due to inflation: https://twitter.com/factoriogame/status/1616388275169628162

I'm... not sure what I think about this? Is this a thing we're doing now?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I remember when they pushed it from $20 to $30 following a major update and that made sense to me. Lower price for an earlier buy-in (Early Access), believing in the project, increasing it as a fuller product was available. Raising it in response to inflation though, when the trend for older games is usually becoming cheaper, is probably gonna ruffle a lot of feathers.

I know they've been including free updates all this time, and doubtless there are people who'd be happy to give them more money in exchange for the weeks they've sunk into the game, but I feel like this will be seen as another barrier to entry for prospective players already leery of a $30 game that never goes on sale.

EDIT: To be clear, I am not one of those people who'd rag on them for never putting the game on sale; I am merely speculating the broader response. Most people I've run into who've heard of Factorio either bought it immediately (or after the demo) or are still sitting out, arms crossed, over price. If you already bought the game, this doesn't affect you in the slightest, and if you weren't going to buy it before you're still not going to buy it now, but if you're an undecided third party, "They keep raising the price" is a new addition to the conversation, which I imagine those protesting the price are going to latch onto.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 21, 2023

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
It's completely wild that anyone would think $35 (or $30) is too much for Factorio. Imagine liking the demo and wanting to play it but refusing to buy because it's half the price of a AAA game and won't let you have it for 10 bucks because it's lunar new year or whatever the gently caress.

I mean movie tickets go up in price whenever they feel like it but factorio can't charge 5 extra bucks because a dollar isn't worth as much as it was 6 years ago?

Also this:

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

If you already bought the game, this doesn't affect you in the slightest

But I kinda want the Switch version, eventually.. and its not in the budget to just rush and buy it right now. If I were determined to get it, it wouldn't be a big deal, but I was on the fence due to all the limitations of that version, so... idk.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Given the ridiculous amount of entertainment I've gotten out of this game (easily my number one by hours played) I don't see a problem with the price increase, but admittedly it also doesn't affect me since I bought the game back when it was $20. Crazy good value.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The five dollar increase makes sense to me. Since day 1 they've said the game is worth $X and will never go on sale, however with inflation $X is now essentially a sale price compared to what it used to be.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Canuckistan posted:

The five dollar increase makes sense to me. Since day 1 they've said the game is worth $X and will never go on sale, however with inflation $X is now essentially a sale price compared to what it used to be.

I think the logic there is "People will wait for a $50 game to go on sale, and you only get $30", so why ever have a sale? Just keep it at $30 all the time. Similarly, most AAA games get discounted over time because a lot of them aren't really great games, and most of their value is at Hype at launch time (COD etc) or seasonal value (FIFA/2K, etc). Factorio is as valuable and fun of a game now as it was at launch as it will be in another 5 years. So there is no reason to discount it. Its not like it has last gen graphics or some other discountable debuff.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There is a whole host of business development, some of which imaginary but all of which affecting your market somehow, that is required because people aren't perfect utility seeking robots. A $60 game bought for $30 sale is higher utility for a lot of people than the same game sold $30 every day of the year. An inflation adjusted $35-today-but-$30-in-2020 purchase is less utility than $30-in-2020 despite the transaction having the same relative impact on a person's wallet. You ignore emotional impacts on utility at your own risk.

Factorio has made enough money to let them be as stupid as they want though so its just armchair complaining either side of the fence on this news.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sales also trick your brain a little, like reading $5.99 on a price tag and saying, "It's only five bucks." You get people on the forums complaining it never goes on sale, but they complained back when it was $20 too. If it were $10 they'd probably still complain, because they've become so acclimated to getting a good deal.

Reminds me a little of achievement-purchasing. I'll see older games crop up, or ports of older games, and invariably someone complains if they don't have achievements and have no plans to add achievements. "Why should I buy a game if I'm not accomplishing something," is an actual opinion I've read in response to this.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Achievements is something that my dumb brain can't really click with for whatever reason. I have over 1600 hours in Factorio and still have half a dozen achievements that I've never gotten and probably never will unless it's by accident. Playing for an achievement in Steam just doesn't do anything at all for me.

On the other hand, in many games (RPG's in particular) playing is all about 'make number go up', or 'achieve next level for x'... But Steam achievements have no impact of any kind whatsoever on the actual gameplay, so they are basically meaningless to me and I don't understand people working to get them.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I got all the achievements in Factorio before installing a single mod.
My final achievement was getting hit by a train

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I don't care for achievements either, but I have a slightly different problem. My brain reads them as signifers of completion, so the closer I get to having all of them (whether by chance or by design), the more the remaining ones gnaw away at me. For something like, say, Age of Empires II with 191 achievements, whatever, I was never going to get all of those, but then I load up Stardew Valley with 40 achievements and I've got 38 and it kinda bugs me but those last two are for the stupid Smash TV minigame which I dislike but I mean maybe this time...you get it.

I know I'm being manipulated and I've tried not caring, but I keep finding myself circling the drain. They flicked a switch in my brain I can't quite turn off, and I know it doesn't matter, but aaaaAAAAAA it's like an itch you just can't scratch.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't care for achievements either, but I have a slightly different problem. My brain reads them as signifers of completion, so the closer I get to having all of them (whether by chance or by design), the more the remaining ones gnaw away at me. For something like, say, Age of Empires II with 191 achievements, whatever, I was never going to get all of those, but then I load up Stardew Valley with 40 achievements and I've got 38 and it kinda bugs me but those last two are for the stupid Smash TV minigame which I dislike but I mean maybe this time...you get it.

I know I'm being manipulated and I've tried not caring, but I keep finding myself circling the drain. They flicked a switch in my brain I can't quite turn off, and I know it doesn't matter, but aaaaAAAAAA it's like an itch you just can't scratch.

A little off-topic, but the achievements in Night in the Woods for winning all the weird minigames bugged me because I am not talented enough to do them. :(

Tamba, I'm envious that your final achievement was what it was. :) That's really cool.

I'm looking forward to the expansion pack for Factorio, and I'll gladly pay the full price of admission when it arrives.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tamba posted:

I got all the achievements in Factorio before installing a single mod.
My final achievement was getting hit by a train

I call bullshit. No one makes it that far

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Could have just been a boring person who never used trains that crisscross through the base at random.

I hear some crazy folk even do organization.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 22, 2023

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It was slightly cheapened by the fact that I did most of it after the Spidertron was added to the game. When you start thinking about serious train networks, you also have access to it, so you just won't get hit anymore.

And before that point, I accidentally solved it with base design.
If all the trains drop their stuff off at one edge of the base and come from some are past that point roughly in the same direction, you never need to walk across the tracks.

So basically:

Rynoto posted:

Could have just been a boring person who never used trains that crisscross through the base at random.

I hear some crazy folk even do organization.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Factorio is up there with dwarf fortress and spelunky and XCOM as game of the decade of 2010s to me so like, I think it is worth 35 dollars. I bought it when it was 20 though.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Why is it no one is demanding Ferrari reduce the prices of their cars, but many people demand games reduce their cost?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

because u can only make so many ferraris in a year given how they make it and sourced parts, but by reducing the price of a digital good that has no real volume limits, such as a video game, it increases sales as more people are willing to toss $20 at it than $35

also because ferrari build consumer vehicles to fund their racing team and not the other way around

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Because you wouldn't download a car, would you?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Charles 1998 posted:

Why is it no one is demanding Ferrari reduce the prices of their cars, but many people demand games reduce their cost?

I mean that taps into another dumb mindset, where reducing the price would be perceived as reducing the exclusivity and tank the value of ownership well past any possible gains that would be made in increased unit sales.

Solumin posted:

I'm... not sure what I think about this? Is this a thing we're doing now?

It's only weird because rather than say the price on the game is going up as a function of ongoing support costs (or whatever) they specifically said inflation. If you have a PS5 those games are $70 because shut up they're $70.

Dressed to Kill
Jul 23, 2007
It's a cash grab. Supporting a long finished game costs pennies compared to the years of development that initial price is supposed to represent.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
The five dollar cash grab

Dressed to Kill
Jul 23, 2007
Nearly 17%

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Five

Five dollar

Five dollar price increase matching inflation to a game that’s half the price of a typical AAA game but supports infinite replayabilityyyyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
DSP is currently on sale for 13.5 and a better game :v: