Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

I'm building a cloud chamber and I'd love to have a radioactive source that I can hold up near it to observe the particles it emits. Will a smoke detector work for this? If not, is there anything a civilian can get that will do that?
AFAIK various science supply stores sell radioactive sources. You can probably even just order from Amazon but I don’t want to confuse the algorithm by checking. As far as smoke detectors, I think only some will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dawncloack posted:

^^^ The ones that are online with pretty GUIs, yes.

I want to use the code directly on a different medium that isn't a website.

https://openai.com/blog/openai-api/

That's if you want to access the trained model in your application. It works basically the same as the chat bots, just letting you talk to it with code. If you just want the code for gpt3 to try to roll your own:

https://github.com/openai/gpt-3

Of course, that doesn't come with the absurdly large model with absurd amounts of training put into it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I'm stirring jam into my yogurt in the morning, every time the spoon hits the bowl I can feel a twitch in my left ear, like my eardrum flinched or something. What's up with that?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

alright i was reading something about the alphabet layoffs and they showed this pic of the ceo (nice cord management btw). where is the "foot" for the right leg of the desk? you can see the other leg has oneby the window

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

actionjackson posted:

alright i was reading something about the alphabet layoffs and they showed this pic of the ceo (nice cord management btw). where is the "foot" for the right leg of the desk? you can see the other leg has oneby the window

If I had to guess I'd say that the foot at the base of the window is bolted down and the free-floating leg is just there for stabilization

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When I'm stirring jam into my yogurt in the morning, every time the spoon hits the bowl I can feel a twitch in my left ear, like my eardrum flinched or something. What's up with that?

There's a muscle in your middle ear called the tensor tympani that reacts to loud sounds to reduce possible hearing damage which tenses the eardrum, so it really is your eardrum flinching. The spoon hitting the bowl could be causing that reaction even if isn't actually particularly loud.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

actionjackson posted:

It's a convertible standing desk. The circled part on the right leg isn't the end of the leg and its reflection, it's where one part telescopes into the next.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

^^^ :argh: blech

actionjackson posted:

It's just out of the frame of the photo. The thing you circled on the right isn't the bottom of the leg.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i am so confused now

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

actionjackson posted:

i am so confused now

That sliver of post you can see between the keyboard and his knees is the other leg, it's hidden by his legs. Then in the bottom right of the picture is a sliver of the foot of the near leg.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

actionjackson posted:

it's behind his leg, you can see the top part of it

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

XenoCrab posted:

There's a muscle in your middle ear called the tensor tympani that reacts to loud sounds to reduce possible hearing damage which tenses the eardrum, so it really is your eardrum flinching. The spoon hitting the bowl could be causing that reaction even if isn't actually particularly loud.

Oh, neat! Thank you. Kinda weird that it only happens in the left ear. Next time I notice it, I'll have to try intentionally tensing that muscle (which creates a rumbling sound) and see how it affects things.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

actionjackson posted:

i am so confused now
Sort of like this

though there's probably a bit helping it not fall backwards as well that's behind his legs

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I have that desk (or one made by the same company)

It's this one (or one like it)
https://www.friant.com/tables/my-hite-3-stage/

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Does anywhere in the forums have a thread about lighting for filming simple videos?

I’m trying to make a stupid thing, but I want it to look professional. Which means I want better lighting that, “Guy taking a dump with his laptop webcam” quality.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Incoming weird question: I have two birds. I love them a lot. It's to an almost unhealthy level. Because of these two goobers, I've automated a bunch of stuff in their room, mainly the blinds and the lighting. It's one less chore for me to manage and it means I can be out of the home and still have the blinds close at sunset and the lights dim in the evening.

I usually wake up in the morning and get them up with me, and our morning routine consists of breakfast as a gang and then I'll put some chill music on and leave it playing all day whilst I'm at work. At night time, I'll turn the music off and they'll go to sleep. Here's where I need help, for this next month, I'll be up and out the house by 7am each morning, and I won't get home until 9pm each day until mid-February. How can I automate the music on my laptop to only play between certain times? Cause right now I have an old laptop and it's on 24/7 on the chill music youtube page and I just pause / play it as I need to. But now I won't be able to start the music as I'll be out the house before the birds are up. Is there a program that lets me tell youtube when to pause / play a video? Should I just get an Alexa? It's not the end of the world if I can't figure something out, but I don't like leaving them in a quiet apartment all day for a month straight.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

Sort of like this

though there's probably a bit helping it not fall backwards as well that's behind his legs

i'm still baffled by the closer leg. you can very clearly see it touching the floor without any feet.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Qubee posted:

Relaxing music for sweet birds.
A Google home mini/Alexa will certainly do this, can I also offer the low-tech way of making a playlist that has silent videos throughout as needed? Like you could have chill music for six hours, then John Cage 4'33 seventeen times in a row or whatever.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wait i might have figured it out now

that little line in the bottom right is part of the foot

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Trapick posted:

A Google home mini/Alexa will certainly do this, can I also offer the low-tech way of making a playlist that has silent videos throughout as needed? Like you could have chill music for six hours, then John Cage 4'33 seventeen times in a row or whatever.

Does Google Home / Alexa let me set routines where I can say "At 9:30am, play youtube video so and so"? Your playlist idea works in the meantime.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Play music 24/7 through speakers you power on and off with a clock.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Qubee posted:

Does Google Home / Alexa let me set routines where I can say "At 9:30am, play youtube video so and so"? Your playlist idea works in the meantime.
For Google Home you can definitely set routines to go off at a certain time, and 'play music' is one action you can choose - I don't know which services it works with, that depends on your country and stuff I think. Like if I wanted to use YouTube music for that I had to have a premium plan, but maybe that's in Canada only? So I use Spotify.

Edit: ^^ yeah classic solution to this is radio + plug timer thing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Play music 24/7 through speakers you power on and off with a clock.

This, use a basic light timer (the kind with the little tabs you push in / pull out) on the plug for the speakers.

Also might I recommend somafm's many chill music channels, including Drone Zone (possibly too chill??)

e: or an actual radio tuned to your local classical station

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It's weird how by combining just two requirements that should be absolutely trivial for a computer to fulfill, you can end up in a niche where it's difficult to find software to do it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

You could also almost certainly do some command line stuff with a scheduler. Look up the command to launch VLC playing the URL of a chill music stream, have that run at 8 am. At 8 pm run a command kill all processes named VLC. Something like that. As usual the answer is Linux :goonsay:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
teach the birds to turn the music on/off by sitting on the spacebar, let them choose when they want to jam

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Log posted:

Does anywhere in the forums have a thread about lighting for filming simple videos?

I’m trying to make a stupid thing, but I want it to look professional. Which means I want better lighting that, “Guy taking a dump with his laptop webcam” quality.
There might be a video thread in the creative forum.

But just watch a few youtube tutorials, there's a ton of content from aspiring future hollywood filmmakers, e.g. if you want to talk into the camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka0xcKoE1P8

Qubee posted:

Incoming weird question: I have two birds. I love them a lot. It's to an almost unhealthy level. Because of these two goobers, I've automated a bunch of stuff in their room, mainly the blinds and the lighting. It's one less chore for me to manage and it means I can be out of the home and still have the blinds close at sunset and the lights dim in the evening.

I usually wake up in the morning and get them up with me, and our morning routine consists of breakfast as a gang and then I'll put some chill music on and leave it playing all day whilst I'm at work. At night time, I'll turn the music off and they'll go to sleep. Here's where I need help, for this next month, I'll be up and out the house by 7am each morning, and I won't get home until 9pm each day until mid-February. How can I automate the music on my laptop to only play between certain times? Cause right now I have an old laptop and it's on 24/7 on the chill music youtube page and I just pause / play it as I need to. But now I won't be able to start the music as I'll be out the house before the birds are up. Is there a program that lets me tell youtube when to pause / play a video? Should I just get an Alexa? It's not the end of the world if I can't figure something out, but I don't like leaving them in a quiet apartment all day for a month straight.
If you have to use youtube then something like AutoHotkey to automate starting/stopping the music (sending a spacebar keystroke?) and then schedule that to run once in the morning and in the evening in the normal Widnows scheduler.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah you’re not going to find a program for this because it’s basic OS functionality already.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

With all these people lining up to defend fossil fuel interests from those who are pushing for action on climate change, are there any cartoons or memes that capture that idea?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Bucky Fullminster posted:

With all these people lining up to defend fossil fuel interests from those who are pushing for action on climate change, are there any cartoons or memes that capture that idea?

Sorry but no, I don't think that anyone in history has made a cartoon or a meme about such a major topic.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I bet you could make your own pretty easily using the "Apu jumping in front of a bullet" Simpsons meme template.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

El Jeffe posted:

I bet you could make your own pretty easily using the "Apu jumping in front of a bullet" Simpsons meme template.

Yeah thanks, I guess that's the basic idea:

But I was kind of thinking of like a proper political cartoon, or a "fellating satan's throbbing cock" type situation.

alnilam posted:

Sorry but no, I don't think that anyone in history has made a cartoon or a meme about such a major topic.

ok so where are they

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ok so where are they

Supressed by Big Oil!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah thanks, I guess that's the basic idea:

But I was kind of thinking of like a proper political cartoon, or a "fellating satan's throbbing cock" type situation.

ok so where are they

in here

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Qubee posted:

When I needed to remotely connect to my home PC from work, I bought a VNC licence - I believe RealVNC's VNC Connect even prevents you needing to the diddle around with dynamic DNS like I had to for my one https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/

Just connect to your PC, do what you need to and then close the VNC connection.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tesseraction posted:

When I needed to remotely connect to my home PC from work, I bought a VNC licence - I believe RealVNC's VNC Connect even prevents you needing to the diddle around with dynamic DNS like I had to for my one https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/

Just connect to your PC, do what you need to and then close the VNC connection.

TeamViewer is free for personal use.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
When you suck on hard candies, they have a tendency to develop sharp edges. Why is that?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

TeamViewer is free for personal use.

Isn't that only the viewer side of things? Looking at the remote access software it says free trial / buy now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tesseraction posted:

Isn't that only the viewer side of things? Looking at the remote access software it says free trial / buy now.
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/info/free-for-personal-use/

Also, while I'm thinking of it, in Windows you can use https://ninite.com to install it and keep it updated, along with a bunch of other stuff you probably use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/info/free-for-personal-use/

Also, while I'm thinking of it, in Windows you can use https://ninite.com to install it and keep it updated, along with a bunch of other stuff you probably use.

Well waddaya know. Nice.