Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

I'm glad the Star Wars UCS continue to not interest me.

the slave 1 is sick nasty bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dpulex posted:

the slave 1 is sick nasty bro

I'm annoyed the new microfighter of it is strictly worse than the one you guys designed for my kid (turned out to be the sdcc one)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh sorry to clarify, what I mean is I love the starfighters but I have zero interest in the "playset"/diorama UCS sets, so I've been able to pass on them for a few years now. The Republic Gunship is cool and all, but the USC scale was just a bit too pricey, and I just don't really have room for it.

Like, I would have loved a UCS Tie Bomber, but my wallet is happy they haven't done it yet.

and yeah, the UCS Slave 1 was great.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

This modular-Blacktron crossover MOC showed up in one of the Lego Facebook groups and wow, I love it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BaconCopter posted:

Stitch leaked, looking pretty spot on.

Other rumors:
Raiders of the Lost Ark Temple Escape 18+ Diorama, 4 figs, 1554 pcs, $150
Jabba's Palace 18+ Diorama, C3PO, Chewbacca, Boushh Leia, Molded Jabba $70
Max Rebo might be making an appearance in a set this year, maybe a new sail barge?

drat I think Boussh leia was my most valuable minifig :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sloppy posted:

This modular-Blacktron crossover MOC showed up in one of the Lego Facebook groups and wow, I love it.

I'd love to see a modular city block filled with modulars based after various themes while still trying to feel like street buildings. Like an embassy district.

treetheheavy
Mar 28, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

Having built JAZZCLUB, there are three things I found a little disappointing:

• The color of the “butter” yellow pieces is pretty variable. It’s cool that it’s lots of pieces in a more unique color, though - just maybe a little iffy for big blocks of color that dominate the sides of modulars (otherwise, it’s more of a system problem). This pic sort of demonstrates it:
  • The second and third stories of JAZZCLUB proper feel a little phoned in - kind of empty for the amount of space each has. The pizzeria/tailor felt a little more like the level of detail was appropriate for the “square footage.”
  • JAZZCLUB. This wasn’t brick-built lettering, these are printed tiles - sixteen studs worth! It could have been anything and it was just JAZZCLUB. Call it “Baseplate Hall.” Call it “Zack’s Brick House.” Anything to add a bit of story to it or something.

But there’s still lots to like too:
  • Ticket booth area has some clever techniques to add some interest and unique angles.
  • The pizzeria and tailor shops are clever little ideas that aren’t enough for a full modular, but fill the set out nicely.
  • The little plaza and side-oriented stairway entrance do a good job of breaking up modulars when put together, adding depth to the scene.
  • The greenhouse fills out the roof of the smaller building nicely and looks unique in the modular skyline.

I don’t think it was as inspired as Boutique Hotel, but I think it’s a solid entry - just maybe needed another round of edits.

I think the signage is what I'm most disappointed in. Just being Jazz Club is very plain compared to what we usually see, and the printed tiles vs brick built like so many of the other great signs we have gotten.

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
Today, I’m helping set up Brickvention in Melbourne, Australia. The public exhibition is this weekend. I’m not exhibiting this year, just helping out.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dr. Dirt posted:

Today, I’m helping set up Brickvention in Melbourne, Australia. The public exhibition is this weekend. I’m not exhibiting this year, just helping out.

What have you exhibited in the past?

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!

Cloks posted:

What have you exhibited in the past?

Last year, I built a modular Chinese restaurant and museum, featuring items from Chinese holiday sets. A few years ago, I had some creations based on albums by Midnight Oil.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Combatant posted:

Now this is how you update old space themes

MagnePulse Xcelerator by Okay Yaramanoglu

The use of canoes is genius.

Heck yes

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Any of you Lego train folk need one of these remotes? I have one from one of my bulk buys and I have no need for it. Not sure if it works so happy to send it off for free.
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=64227c01&idColor=86#T=S&C=86&O=%7B%22color%22:86,%22iconly%22:0%7D

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I really enjoyed this, and it's easily one of the best Lego videos I've seen on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoKvdnTbgwM

It's a look at the techniques used in a series of models across a designer's career, ranging from mechanisms and geometry in the Creator Expert Mustang, to part reusage in a 3-in-1, to circular geometry in the Orchard, to snot work in the Saturn V. Some fun stop-motion work too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is there a person/place/website that does Lego build idea prompts? I was thinking of doing a weekly build with some other people, and it would be cool if there was already a weekly build club or whatever that we could follow.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is the houses of the world GWP gone already? Was going to order the boutique hotel and jazz club but now I'm not getting any freebies except the rabbit. The lunar new year bag of greebles or whatever it was also gone.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

bird with big dick posted:

Is the houses of the world GWP gone already? Was going to order the boutique hotel and jazz club but now I'm not getting any freebies except the rabbit. The lunar new year bag of greebles or whatever it was also gone.

No, it's still there. You just have to spend an insane amount to get it. I didn't even know it was available so I split my order in two so I could get two rabbits so I could give one to a friend. Then a few days later I see that the GWP was up and I was like WTF is this poo poo?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I guess I completely missed that the houses of the world GWP was put up in the USA. Dang. $250 for that seems insane tho.
It seems to be completely delisted from the USA store so it might be sold out.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I really enjoyed this, and it's easily one of the best Lego videos I've seen on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoKvdnTbgwM

It's a look at the techniques used in a series of models across a designer's career, ranging from mechanisms and geometry in the Creator Expert Mustang, to part reusage in a 3-in-1, to circular geometry in the Orchard, to snot work in the Saturn V. Some fun stop-motion work too.

This is great, thank you. I like the youtubers a lot as well, they seem nice and calm. I'm checking out their city build because I desperately want to help my kid build up his city when it isn't being smashed apart by villains and crooks

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

mastershakeman posted:

I'm annoyed the new microfighter of it is strictly worse than the one you guys designed for my kid (turned out to be the sdcc one)

Someone posted a nice looking build using parts from 2 of those microfighters, I haven't tried it though:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-135645/PiXEL-DAN/pixel-dans-2-x-75344-boba-fetts-starship-alt-build-mod/#details

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Someone posted a nice looking build using parts from 2 of those microfighters, I haven't tried it though:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-135645/PiXEL-DAN/pixel-dans-2-x-75344-boba-fetts-starship-alt-build-mod/#details

Very neat.

Builds bags 5 and 7 of starry night tonight. Bag 5 was rough, and of course we get to the end, the 1x6 on back won't click in, we missed a row. Wasn't terrible to find but woof. Skipped the frame and did the fun colorful stuff of 7 after the ordeal of a million 1x4 navy blue/royal blue/dark turquoise / light turquoise

It's what, 50 rows high and 40 studs across .that's a lot of blue to care about the details on

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Just finished Starry Night. Definitely a new contender in the "holy poo poo one-piling this was a dumb idea" race. Who knew there were so many shades of blue?!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I redeemed points for a couple of VIP rewards on 11/27 (the camera and the pirate ship). I got the pirate ship on an order since, but since you can only add one per order the camera is still waiting. I think I've seen that the codes are only valid for 60 days, do I need to bite the bullet buy something small or is there a way to extend that timer?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pulled the trigger on the Daily Bugle so I could get the GWP. No regrets arrived today.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GlenMR posted:

Just finished Starry Night. Definitely a new contender in the "holy poo poo one-piling this was a dumb idea" race. Who knew there were so many shades of blue?!

We have this to do soon and it’s the biggest set of the few we’ve done so far. That background is pretty intimidating… best approach to put all the tiles in their own color coded piles?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

EL BROMANCE posted:

We have this to do soon and it’s the biggest set of the few we’ve done so far. That background is pretty intimidating… best approach to put all the tiles in their own color coded piles?

This is what I did last night for step five. Had the 1x2s and 1x4s of "dark turquoise" on different plates which didn't work well but the rest did

I mixed up light turquoise with dark a bunch early but got that solved, and the black and royal navy looked identical to me

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
My second BrickNerd article went up on Friday: I was exceptionally honored to do an interview with the builder who inspired me to make cars, Jonathan Elliott!

https://bricknerd.com/home/the-need-for-speed-an-interview-with-jon-elliott-1-19-23

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

mastershakeman posted:

This is what I did last night for step five. Had the 1x2s and 1x4s of "dark turquoise" on different plates which didn't work well but the rest did

I mixed up light turquoise with dark a bunch early but got that solved, and the black and royal navy looked identical to me

Thanks! I’ll use this as our prep too.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

GlenMR posted:

After having done too many sets with creative building-techniques, just piling bricks onto each other was my favorite part of that kit. :3:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I redeemed points for a couple of VIP rewards on 11/27 (the camera and the pirate ship). I got the pirate ship on an order since, but since you can only add one per order the camera is still waiting. I think I've seen that the codes are only valid for 60 days, do I need to bite the bullet buy something small or is there a way to extend that timer?

They should have emailed you the code too. I think you can buy something and return it but I would contact customer support and ask

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah there's no way my color blind rear end would be able to figure out the patterns

Veotax
May 16, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you talk to customer service, you might be able to replace those codes for some new ones, but we don't always have them, so it might be best to place some orders for something cheap just to use them. Worst case scenario, if the codes expire, you can get the points refunded. No one on CS should say no to that.

Remember, you can only use one code to add an item per-order, so you'll need to place two to get both the camera and the pirate ship. This isn't something CS can change, the order system on the back-end will only allow one code per-order, just like the site.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah. I used my mum's old daylight hobby lamp for that stuff, and an old cutlery bin, with each colour blue in its own compartment. Really wish they had put the "You will have a few odds and ends left over at the end" warning at the start of bag five, rather than the finish.

Also, tore through a bunch of sets on my backlog this week, but I'll have to take a pause, as I'm developing a serious case of Lego Thumbs. At least the Lego House Dinosaurs are finally done.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Carbohydrates posted:

My second BrickNerd article went up on Friday: I was exceptionally honored to do an interview with the builder who inspired me to make cars, Jonathan Elliott!

https://bricknerd.com/home/the-need-for-speed-an-interview-with-jon-elliott-1-19-23

This was cool, thanks for posting it!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah there's no way my color blind rear end would be able to figure out the patterns

To be fair, I put navy blue tiles with black because I couldn't see the difference.

She also said to make sure to use the same color plate for every holder, so that the background didnt affect the color perception. This probably did help

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
They shoukd invent lego with outlines in real life because sometimes the only clue in the instructions is that the black pieces have white outlines whereas the meerly very dark blue ones have black ones.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
doesn't every part have the part number printed on it? Not printed, but as part of the pressing process. Or is that just on bigger (non greeble) parts. You could always get a really good magnifying glass and separate that way.

Yeah.

Heh.

Sigh.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a mifigure display set-up for an Ikea Detolf? I usually go through Wicked Brick, but their minifigure stands are abusrd compared to their other offerings. It's $80 for one display stand... https://www.wickedbrick.com/en-us/products/display-podium-for-lego-minifigures-in-ikea-detolf-unit?variant=40843452842031

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Maybe it's a misunderstanding of how colorblindness works, but would a bright light in a particular hue or color help distinguish the pieces for sorting?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions for a mifigure display set-up for an Ikea Detolf? I usually go through Wicked Brick, but their minifigure stands are abusrd compared to their other offerings. It's $80 for one display stand... https://www.wickedbrick.com/en-us/products/display-podium-for-lego-minifigures-in-ikea-detolf-unit?variant=40843452842031

Those look super nice if you just want rows - especially considering they have studs. I've bought other 2-3 tier acrylic stands over the years (larger tiers), and those have been $25-$30 anyway and wouldn't be suitable for minifigs at all. Considering the density the one you linked provides, and the studs, I don't think it's a terrible price (though I'm sure it's still marked up a lot).

Could always get some bulk white bricks (or whatever color) and build some stands from lego but that would cast bigger shadows onto lower shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

obi_ant posted:

The absolute cheapest thing I can conceive of would be sticking the minifigs onto a baseplate (IIRC the Detolf can only hold a 36-stud width at the most) by their legs/butts and hang the baseplate on a diagonal from the upper shelf (fishing line, maybe? Or lean it against the back glass). As you seat the figures reclining they will appear upright and allow the ones behind to do the same.

(I do this to store them somewhat safely so they don't get loose or scratched- I have a few big grey baseplates stacked up with guys)