Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Phigs posted:

I sometimes get stupidly mad that new good things will never get the recognition that old mediocre or even bad things enjoy.

How many games made today will ever be as well known as loving tic tac toe? Infuriating!

I tried to play tic tac toe but the game softlocked on me at the very end :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It's time, mods. This thread is over 2000 pages anyway. Reboot the fucker, end our suffering. Ia, ia!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

If I hear "modern games just care about realistic graphics" one more time I'm gonna poo poo myself, people were saying the same exact poo poo back when Quake II unveiled colored lighting.

Modern games just care about realistic graphics.

I mean not really. They also care about extracting the maximum amount of dollars from people's pockets with the minimum of effort, but I wanted to see you poo poo yourself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Game fun to play.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

dwarf fortress feels very similar to eve online to me. in that it's way more interesting to just read other peoples stories about crazy things that happened, rather than play the 5000 hours required to come across your own.

if you have the patience for a bad interface and a convoluted abstract game like dwarf fortress or eve online you should just become a stock broker or something

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Private Cumshoe posted:

if you have the patience for a bad interface and a convoluted abstract game like dwarf fortress or eve online you should just become a stock broker or something

DF is a lot better now with the steam release. Its not nearly as complicated.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like the colony sim genre left DF in the dust a long time ago

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

If I hear "modern games just care about realistic graphics" one more time I'm gonna poo poo myselflighting.

it's true though, at least for big AAA studios, and it is a direct result of the "shareholder value"fication of the games industry

shareholders like safe reliable bets, which often means sticking to a proven formula with some technical improvements to graphics or open world size or whatever while shying away from any potentially-risky experimental changes to gameplay

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I feel like the colony sim genre left DF in the dust a long time ago

Maybe, but have they gotten anywhere good with it? I played Oxygen Not Included very briefly then refunded it, it felt like all the bad, tedious, busy-work, un-fun parts of sim micro without any of the rewarding bits.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's true though, at least for big AAA studios, and it is a direct result of the "shareholder value"fication of the games industry

shareholders like safe reliable bets, which often means sticking to a proven formula with some technical improvements to graphics or open world size or whatever while shying away from any potentially-risky experimental changes to gameplay

Yes, but that isn't anything new whatsoever.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Private Cumshoe posted:

surely stock brokerage is mostly about schmoozing & golfing with rich assholes to network?
unless you're dealing with retail customers but that's not where the money is

Yes, but that isn't anything new whatsoever.

that investment-conservatism has been a long term trend
but as the costs to develop "blockbuster" games keep growing upwards it becomes more and more impactful on the industry
meaning it's more relevant now than ever before (and will be yet more relevant the next year...)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 22, 2023

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This is why Souls games are the most important games and shined through the dark era of the xbox 360/ps3 era like a beacon of hope, saving the future of games from being linear 8 hour CoDs and Dante's Infernos

Elden Ring was the second best selling game in 2022 and its a real rear end game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dante's Inferno is kind of fun

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Dante's Inferno is kind of fun

Yeah for self-insert Catholicism fan fiction it's alright, a little whiny at times but has some pretty metal parts

E: wait you mean the game? The God of War knock-off???

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

The aggressive puzzle hints in God of War are actually a great idea now that I think about it - it’s an accessibility feature for potheads

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Dante’s Inferno starts with an embarrassing cutscene with full screen polygon titties.

Like no setup or build up - just pow boobies.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Holy crap Xbox has no games and I’m going to honk it off a cliff

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dante's Inhornio.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dante is a huge loser

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dante is a huge loser

all self-insert fan fiction authors are losers

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Dante's Inferno was a shamless God of War knockoff but I honestly really appreciate it's effort and how creatively batshit crazy it got at times. This was during a brief period where EA said "OK, use the Madden and Need for Speed money to create some new ideas people" which is also how we got Army of Two and Dead Space.

While we are on the subject of video games making you feel like you are a stockbroker: to hell with insanely complex "create a character" features like 20 sliders just for your character's nose.

First of all, you probably aren't going to see any of that detail in the game and secondly like Conan O'Brien once said I'm playing a game not doing my taxes here.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

nom epique posted:

Holy crap Xbox has no games and I’m going to honk it off a cliff

First the PS3 had no games. Then next generation it switched and the Bone had no games. Now both the PS5 and SeriesX have no games. Obviously the pattern will hold and next generation will be blessed with a slew of quality exclusives on all consoles.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oh god I hate all those character creation sliders. I have never once spent time actually sliding any of them except for times when I just minimize/max every slider to make a freakish monster, otherwise I hit random and move on. I cannot think of a single videogame I have ever played in 30+ years of gaming where any of those types of facial sliders were visible in-game because guess what, my character's face is pointed away from the camera 100% of the time and even though I am extremely weird, I am not the kind of weird that will just sit around spinning a camera around looking at a 3d model of my character in a videogame to see their face. I cannot even begin to fathom why I would ever care about what color my character's eyes are.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 22, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

City of Heroes had good character creation, everything else is bad. Well I'm sure there are some that aren't bad but that's the only one I can think of. I like the ones with tons of sliders that do pretty much nothing. We want you to customize your character, but do not make anything too wild that will ruin your immersion.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i like the character creation in Darklands, where you choose your professions every 5 years which opens some branches and closes others. You get points to spend every 5 years, but you get older which lowers your core stats after age 30 or 35.

The old school way where you answer 12 questions about some moral decision to determine your class were always fun too.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As with all things Morrowind was better than it’s sequels because instead of dumb sliders you got a choice of tenish faces and tenish ear/hair/horn sets per race. Short, simple, and still made everyone unique.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

the old MegaTraveller game from 1990 based on the Traveller table top setting had cool character creation, you took each member of your party, enlisted them in a branch of the military, served a number of tours, and got skill rewards + a chance for special items at the end of each one. There was a small chance of being forced into retirement (or outright dying), or you could choose not to re-enlist, or you could go full on career soldier and get out when you're 40+ years old. Leaving early left you with better physical stats but less skills and potential perks, while staying for the full course left you skilled but probably in a physical decline.

Too bad the actual game was pretty bad, cuz it was an awesome creation system

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Those face sliders are in the game for idiots like me, who get a big kick out of making the dumbest looking character possible, completely forgetting about it, then being delightfully reminded of it every time the game shows me in a serious or harrowing cutscene. My MH:W character was probably my favorite thing about MH:W.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

City of Heroes had good character creation, everything else is bad. Well I'm sure there are some that aren't bad but that's the only one I can think of. I like the ones with tons of sliders that do pretty much nothing. We want you to customize your character, but do not make anything too wild that will ruin your immersion.

who was your city of heroes character?

Mine was Jack Savage, a fully green claw guy, a claw guy in a full green leather suit and spikey hair

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Mine was Jack Savage, a fully green claw guy, a claw guy in a full green leather suit and spikey hair

Think Pink a short martial artist (I think) wearing a bright pink business suit,. I'm thinking grey hair but I simply don't remember. Anyway it was still an MMORPG and those are bad but I enjoyed the character creator.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 22, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think my character was almost exactly the same, except he wore spandex and was mostly blue instead of green

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

I was General Generic, ss/inv tank with the most generic "1990s army commander with a white flat-top" costume I could muster. Looking back at it I think this says a lot about me.

E: General Generic had robot arms like his hero Jax from Mortal Kombat.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 22, 2023

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I actually liked creating a bunch of different Shepards in Mass Effect :smith:

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Outpost22 posted:

I actually liked creating a bunch of different Shepards in Mass Effect :smith:

Good news. You can still play 20 year old games on Xbox series x. In fact that’s all you can play. This is haled as a victory by the Xbox thread

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

galagazombie posted:

Now the PS5 has no games.

:haibrower: I saw one in Best Buy and impulse purchased it for GoW:Ragnarok which was :meh:

I purchased HZD:FW after absolutely loving the first one, and I've played maybe twenty minutes and bounced right off. I know the game gets significantly better, and that the first little section is just some dumb snippet of all the worst parts of the first game, but still

Are there any other games for the PS5 that I must play? I also have a pretty decent gaming PC which is my preferred platform

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Returnal was my fav game of 2021 but it's coming to PC so lol.

Consoles are loving useless now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I wish I had a PS5 to play the Demons Souls remake because I loved Demons Souls but haven't played it in a post-Darksouls world and I imagine the remake would be easier to enjoy

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Returnal was my fav game of 2021 but it's coming to PC so lol.

Consoles are loving useless now.

I think Sony is kind of realizing this with PS5 scarcity. No one wants to make games for it because no one has one and they're still out of stock everywhere, so it's just not a good financial decision for a dev to make a PS5 exclusive. It's not like it just needs a killer app to sell systems, there's a hard limit of the number of copies you can sell because PS5 hardware is still limited. And that's why they're starting to port all of their games to PC.

If there's a PS6 it's just going to be a dedicated gaming PC and all of its games will be PC games, but it will probably have like its own VR peripheral and stuff with a few exclusives to sell consoles, and really fancy gamepads, and stuff like that.

Especially after Valve proved that there's huge demand for consoles that are literally just "here's a PC in console format"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 22, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

deep dish peat moss posted:

I No one wants to make games for it because no one has one

Also, importantly, because it can't do anything the ps4 can't do besides just "higher res" and "more reflections". There is no technical reason to make a game a ps5 exclusive because there isn't really anything you want to do that couldn't be accomplished on a last-gen console too. (Besides the SSD which is a great upgrade)

Even if you are gonna make a PS5 game, there's basically nothing stopping you from doing a simultanous ps4 release with lower res textures and lower poly models but the exact same actual gameplay.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

nom epique posted:

Good news. You can still play 20 year old games on Xbox series x. In fact that’s all you can play. This is haled as a victory by the Xbox thread

🅾️🅱️ you fuckin hate video games, full stop, yet insist on posting about them all day