Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Gonna say, the i3 unqiue is a bit of a non-starter really. Can cancel crits twice sure, but if you are taking two shots, you burned your calc.

That Roiling Anger is clearly a dark-side patience and I love it.

EDIT: AMG being too honest again here

"his new upgrade lets you move through any obstacle, not just asteroids or debris clouds, without suffering their effects. It also works on electro-chaff clouds!"

Uh, spending a calc to cancel a crit, regardless of what you rolled, is pretty good. Especially for a ship with only three hull, no shields. Especially when they still have network calculations to pull from for your eyeball results.

That dude is going to be way harder to kill than any other droid in a swarm, because his ability all but eliminates the chance of a lucky crit getting through. I'll be shooting him last if he's on the table, unless he's the only droid for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ConfusedUs posted:

Uh, spending a calc to cancel a crit, regardless of what you rolled, is pretty good. Especially for a ship with only three hull, no shields. Especially when they still have network calculations to pull from for your eyeball results.

That dude is going to be way harder to kill than any other droid in a swarm, because his ability all but eliminates the chance of a lucky crit getting through. I'll be shooting him last if he's on the table, unless he's the only droid for some reason.

Man, I am an idiot and didn't think that through at all.

Also, did a tourney this weekend. Out of laziness, I ran BOY purely. Wedge, Biggs, Luke, Dutch.

I think I wanna use another ywing in this list, but as a whole, it was solid. Went 2-1 and came in Third.

My wife also ran a BOY there, with Vader, Mauler, Backstabber, Wampa and Dark Curse.

Dark Curse is way too loving good

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Scum hotshot are up:

"Professional Disaster Zone" is a pretty good subtitle.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Scum hotshot are up:

"Professional Disaster Zone" is a pretty good subtitle.

Apha’s ability is not great. That TIE is annoying. Hondo is fine but i1 is a pretty hard sell for something as expensive as a fire spray.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Aprha’s ability is not great.

It does have synergy with Lapin though.

Not sure what else it can synergize with though, i3 is tough to get the stress token on in time for others to capitalize.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Being partially French Canadian, and with my Av, I am now contract obliged to constantly use Lapin in all lists

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Floppychop posted:

It does have synergy with Lapin though.

Not sure what else it can synergize with though, i3 is tough to get the stress token on in time for others to capitalize.

There's synergy with Scum Han, and she works well with her droids, 000 and BT1. There's probably a couple more.

The problem is that I3 is really awkward for that ability. If it were I2 you could reliably spend your reinforce, but at I3 it's a lot more iffy.

I'm struggling to find out why I'd take Aphra instead of Bossk + Perceptive + Lando + Greedo. That Bossk is a murder machine.

She'll have to be cheap.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Man those initiatives are abysmal and I really fear Tor is gonna be priced into being unplayable. The amount of times youll be able to successfully pull off his ability seems pretty low so being init 3 with a mostly blank ability is kinda meh unless hes packing a ton of upgrade points. At like i5 or 6 he prob legit be a beast but like..who cares. Whats the go to scum ace nowadays because it sure isnt Fenn. Give them another 5-6 point actual Ace.

Durge is ok. Lapin is eh if hes 3 but really should be 2 (Bring back the decent 2pt options)

Aphra sucks and the cost to use her ability is too high. A green token and a charge? Why? Doubt they'll price her cheap even if she is straight worse than Bossk in every way. Big ships are stil lbig ships and take forever to kill and take up a lot of objective space.

Hondos ability sucks, his init sucks and scum arent really lacking med/big base ship options atm so uh good luck being anything other than a decent crew option Hondo.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Sometimes it seems like they're more interested in making the abilities thematic than useful.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, how is everyone finding HotShots and Aces 2?

Also, how career limiting is it to badly beat your boss in a game? Asking for a friend who's boss decided to take a procket shot at Dark Curse, and rolled 4 eyes and one blank.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, how is everyone finding HotShots and Aces 2?

Also, how career limiting is it to badly beat your boss in a game? Asking for a friend who's boss decided to take a procket shot at Dark Curse, and rolled 4 eyes and one blank.

I've only played with CIS Durge and Volan Das so far, but I like them. No one wants to attack Durge, so I haven't used his ability yet, but Volan is fun (when you call the right red maneuver and don't get blocked like a fool).

It's Pax Unplugged this weekend, so I'll be playing SoC tonight and then the tournament is tomorrow. I'm flying almost all SoC and Hotshots 2 pilots, so my reps are low and I'm expecting to get trounced but have fun while doing it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

A local player noticed that while Lin Gaava is a pilot for the TIE/fo, the art shows him in a TIE/sf

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I haven't played with the SoC or Hotshots 2 stuff yet, but the Battle of Yavin pack is one of the best things that X-Wing has made in years. It's very, very good.

I've been running this list, with 3 of the four ships standard loadouts from BoY.

Darth Vader (BoY) (6)
Marksmanship (0)
Hate (0)
Afterburners (0)

Ship Cost: 6 Loadout: (0) Half Points: 3 Damage Threshold: 3

"Dark Curse" (BoY) (4)
Ruthless (0)
Precision Ion Engines (0)

Ship Cost: 4 Loadout: (0) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 2

Iden Versio (BoY) (6)
Predator (0)
Fanatic (BoY) (0)

Ship Cost: 6 Loadout: (0) Half Points: 3 Damage Threshold: 2

"Countdown" (4)
Shield Upgrade (8)

Ship Cost: 4 Loadout: (8/8) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 2

Total: 20

This list is super, super hard to kill.

Vader has three force.
People can't modify dice against Dark Curse.
Countdown is countdown.
And Iden can blow his charges every other round to prevent one hit on any TIE (and everything is TIEs).

The enemy basically HAS to shoot at Iden, but even that is often futile. Iden can use his ability on himself and can afford to take an evade every round because of his ability and upgrades.

I have always loved four-ship lists with some synergy, the ability to gently caress with target priority, and no need to fly in close formation. This may be the single best iteration of that concept yet.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I haven't played with the SoC or Hotshots 2 stuff yet, but the Battle of Yavin pack is one of the best things that X-Wing has made in years. It's very, very good.

I've been running this list, with 3 of the four ships standard loadouts from BoY.

Darth Vader (BoY) (6)
Marksmanship (0)
Hate (0)
Afterburners (0)

Ship Cost: 6 Loadout: (0) Half Points: 3 Damage Threshold: 3

"Dark Curse" (BoY) (4)
Ruthless (0)
Precision Ion Engines (0)

Ship Cost: 4 Loadout: (0) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 2

Iden Versio (BoY) (6)
Predator (0)
Fanatic (BoY) (0)

Ship Cost: 6 Loadout: (0) Half Points: 3 Damage Threshold: 2

"Countdown" (4)
Shield Upgrade (8)

Ship Cost: 4 Loadout: (8/8) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 2

This list is super, super hard to kill.

Vader has three force.
People can't modify dice against Dark Curse.
Countdown is countdown.
And Iden can blow his charges every other round to prevent one hit on any TIE (and everything is TIEs).

The enemy basically HAS to shoot at Iden, but even that is often futile. Iden can use his ability on himself and can afford to take an evade every round because of his ability and upgrades.

I have always loved four-ship lists with some synergy, the ability to gently caress with target priority, and no need to fly in close formation. This may be the single best iteration of that concept yet.

I am running a full BoY imp list personally

Vader, BackStabber, Mauler, Wampa, and Dark Curse (as mentioned before)

I kinda feel BoY Vader blows standard X1 away.

I kinda feel like I wanna drop backstabber, Mauler and Wampa, and try Iden. Either in her interceptor or fighter, not sure yet

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Iden in her TIE fighter was always fun. I flew Inferno Squadron way back when, and Seyn just dealing a damage card outright (between her pilot ability and marksmanship) was always a WTF moment for whoever she was attacking.

It’s a single-use OH poo poo button, but getting to see all the dice rolls then making the decision was pretty powerful.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
can I just buy the Battle of Yavin stuff and use my old ships that are collecting dust?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

can I just buy the Battle of Yavin stuff and use my old ships that are collecting dust?

Yes. The BoY pack only includes cards/cardboard, no models

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Got to play a Siege of Coruscant game this evening and it was a lot of fun. I was CIS and won pretty solidly: when I killed Obi (Ani was already dead) there were still 5 shields on the Invisible Hand. Seems similar to my BoY experience that the team playing the side with the timed goal has it harder, at least from a beginner perspective. I got to keep shooting his ships, but he really had to focus on taking down IH shields if he wanted to win. The only real downside is the list-building for Republic is tricky when you don't have all the ship options available. The ship costs make it hard to get to exactly 20 with keeping two good ships in reserve. I also only lost one ship over the course of the game, and it was actually a blessing because it let me slip it right behind his reinforcements. Anyway, it was a good time and I recommend it for more than just the SL ships.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Dumb Homebrew? Well that's a name I haven't heard for a long time.

Yes it's time for some Andor themed homebrew. I will say straight up, RAW, any upgrades on these ships are literally useless except for crew due to the stupid ship ability.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Dumb Homebrew? Well that's a name I haven't heard for a long time.

Yes it's time for some Andor themed homebrew. I will say straight up, RAW, any upgrades on these ships are literally useless except for crew due to the stupid ship ability.

The concept of "you can fit a lot of crew on this but only use one at a time" is an interesting one. You could give the ship quite a high loadout value and give it the flexibility to choose which one is active at any given round.

However, "you cannot use..." is language that doesn't actually work within the rules. You'd have to say "Treat all equipped upgrade cards as blank if they have a stress on them," or something of that sort. Limiting it to [crew] upgrades would allow you to spend loadout on other upgrades, like talents, if you wanted, although that would probably lead to these ships filling everything BUT one crew slot.

Also, as written, ALL of your upgrades are active on the first round, as you only apply the stress during the end phase.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Have all the crew start facedown, give the ship a recurring charge and say you can spend it during the...System Phase? Planning Phase? to flip one crew face up.

Then, all crew flip facedown again during the end step.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Pretty annoying how the cardboard is situated in Hotshots and Aces II. There are different factions on each side of the cardboard tiles so it's a nightmare to try and organize. My normal organization is faction > ship > descending pilot skill and that's impossible to do with these.

Let's hope I remember what's on the reverse side of everything when I go to actually play with them.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Floppychop posted:

Pretty annoying how the cardboard is situated in Hotshots and Aces II. There are different factions on each side of the cardboard tiles so it's a nightmare to try and organize. My normal organization is faction > ship > descending pilot skill and that's impossible to do with these.

Let's hope I remember what's on the reverse side of everything when I go to actually play with them.

It really sucks because I was hoping to split a pack with friends since I only need 3 factions

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Lol this actually really pisses me off to read. What were they thinking?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It's possible to carefully peel the top printed layer off and just use PVA glue to glue it to a different tile. I've done it when I needed an extra Cymorrah Goon tile but didn't want to buy another Y-wing because I already owned 9 of the drat things.

But if I were to do that for the full HaA I'd go insane.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Also, I am hearing print quality is really poor too

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm going to post this in the ffg thread too, so apologies in advance:

Former xwing/armada grinder here, I have a bunch of promos from organized play and I was wondering if I had anything of value or a goon wanted to give them a good home. No 2.x stuff but:
Movie stills, full arts, plastic cards, arubesh, op damage decks, dice bags, card binder medals and coins. Is it worth it to even itemize the collection?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Stuff like templates and tokens are still likely worth a bit, but pilot cards, upgrade cards, and damage decks are probably only worth sentimental value.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

got any pics of the armada stuff/coins ?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

banned from Starbucks posted:

got any pics of the armada stuff/coins ?

For armada I have 2 medals a handful of the coins, and the ISD dice bag.
No pictures yet.

I also have a bunch of binder pages for the half cards and the Tarrot cards.

E: and a magnetic Correlian Conflict map that is dry-erase

EE:I have found a promo copy of TIE Phantom Squadron

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 28, 2022

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

If I were gonna head in for Star Wars night at FLGS and try getting back into X-Wing (2.5), does anyone have a simple Rebel list I could fly as a starter? Would building something with Battle of Yavin ships be really dumb?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I havent played rebels in a while but you can try the new 3 point A-wing he seems kinda good for obj play. Luke, Wes and the 3 (3point)A-wings as a start?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

alg posted:

If I were gonna head in for Star Wars night at FLGS and try getting back into X-Wing (2.5), does anyone have a simple Rebel list I could fly as a starter? Would building something with Battle of Yavin ships be really dumb?

Battle of Yavin is pretty good TBH.

I usually run Wedge, Luke, Biggs and Pops.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

alg posted:

I'm kind of in same boat. I lost one of my carrying cases in a move, but I still have a ton of ships (from 1.0), and most of the cardboard and plastic bases. No idea where my movement doodads are, so I guess I need a new base set. It used to be that a base set + a couple squadron boxes could get you a decent amount of stuff, what's the current "best buys" for someone re-entering the hobby? Is there a box that gives me new bases or whatever for my TIEs, X-wangs, and Scum ships like there was for 2.0?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

None of the card's changed from 2 -> 2.5, if you had 2nd edition stuff it's still fine, otherwise it's just the old conversion kits, I think you can still get them.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ro5s posted:

None of the card's changed from 2 -> 2.5, if you had 2nd edition stuff it's still fine, otherwise it's just the old conversion kits, I think you can still get them.

Ah ok, I thought there were new ship sizes and pilots changed a bunch of stats around. Cool!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

alg posted:

You can do a 5 X-wing list now thanks to Battle of Yavin, and it's pretty simple imo. Even if you forget ability triggers the X-wing is solid enough to get you by. The upgrades on this list are by no means gospel, they're just what I put on the last time I flew. Adjust as you'd like.

Garven Dreis (BoY) (4)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (0)
R5-K6 (BoY) (0)

Ship Cost: 4 Loadout: (0) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 3

Jek Porkins (BoY) (4)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (0)
R5-D8 (BoY) (0)
Unstable Sublight Engines (BoY) (0)

Ship Cost: 4 Loadout: (0) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 3

Edrio Two Tubes (4)
Concussion Missiles (5)
Contraband Cybernetics (3)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Ship Cost: 4 Loadout: (8/10) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 3

Kullbee Sperado (4)
Mag-Pulse Warheads (4)
R4 Astromech (3)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Ship Cost: 4 Loadout: (7/7) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 3

Leevan Tenza (4)
Concussion Missiles (5)
R4 Astromech (3)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Ship Cost: 4 Loadout: (8/8) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 3

View in YASB 2: https://yasb.app/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v9ZhZ20Z554X134W484Y556X134W483W476Y8X99W92W142Y12XW311W5WW142Y10XW99W5WW142&sn=5x&obs=

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Hey folks, looking at dipping my toe back into X-Wing. (Mando s3 trailer during the wildcard game last weekend was what did it lol.)

I've checked the links in the OP and now have pdfs of all the new rules/points/scenarios. I last played circa Hotshots & Aces I, and after mucking around in yasb.app and metawing for a couple of days, I conclude that I'm going to need to make at least a few purchases in order to build a nice modern list.

So my question is: Empire or Scum, which is going to cost me less to get up to speed with? I have a huge Empire collection (no Heavy or Skystrike, but basically everything released before them). I have a middling-sized Scum collection (2 Firesprays, 2 Fangs, 2 Starvipers, a Jumpmaster, a Hwk, a Falcon, possibly a few others).

I was initially thinking Scum, due to said Mando hype, but my yasb/metawing research seems to indicate that Scum is going to be the more expensive to bring up to speed, with contents of Razorcrest and Pride of Mandalore, and to a lesser extent Gauntlet Fighter and Fugitives & Wotsits, strewn across modern lists. Empire on the other hand looks like I might be able to get by just picking up Battle of Yavin and/or Skystrike Academy.

Does that sound like a realistic reading of things? What am I overlooking? What am I overrating? Would love to get the thread's take.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

dingo with a joint posted:

So my question is: Empire or Scum,

Gonna say Empire. A lot of scum is kinda unplayable right now. Pride of Mandalore was kinda meh for scum imo. Fangs are weak and overpriced atm. Skystrike + Battle of Yavin will get you a lot of value.
If you really like Scum I'd say get the Rogue-class fighter pack. It's one of the better ships available to Scum currently.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

banned from Starbucks posted:

Gonna say Empire. A lot of scum is kinda unplayable right now. Pride of Mandalore was kinda meh for scum imo. Fangs are weak and overpriced atm. Skystrike + Battle of Yavin will get you a lot of value.
If you really like Scum I'd say get the Rogue-class fighter pack. It's one of the better ships available to Scum currently.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice/sanity check. Sad to hear Scum are so weak right now (and particular sad to hear that my beloved Fangs currently suck). I'll give the Rogue pack a more thorough lookthrough just in case.

Sounds like go Empire then though. :) That's fine. Most of my favourite Empire ships (Advanced, Decimator, Defender, Reaper) look to be in a very strong place right now. (Now watch New Zealand turn out to be completely sold out of Yavin, lol.)