Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Cheef?

Yes sir?

No, not you, Mr. O'brien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Does Sisko have a blue pimple or did someone decide that small part of his face was extremely reflective?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm printing that off and taking it in for an autograph if I ever run into Avery Brooks

Take a picture of him after you ask him to sign it. We need a good companion piece to "The face Robert Picardo made after some gormless dipshit told him Voyager loving sucked... as a compliment."

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I'm at the part of I Am Spock where Nimoy is going to a screening of Star Trek IV in Moscow after Russia signs a moritorium on whaling and while he's in the USSR he visits the family of Boris Nimoy, the only survivng relations still living there. The family have never heard of Star Trek, don't know who Spock is and have no idea who this guy is supposed to be. Afterwards he finds out they thought he was a government spy or something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

Take a picture of him after you ask him to sign it. We need a good companion piece to "The face Robert Picardo made after some gormless dipshit told him Voyager loving sucked... as a compliment."

The best part is still the actual follow-up where Picardo seemed to recognize the same dipshit from a distance years later

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

He's got a whole database of those who have crossed him as part of his program files

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The best part is still the actual follow-up where Picardo seemed to recognize the same dipshit from a distance years later

Wait, what? I remember FrensaGeran getting dogpiled for being proud of insulting Picardo but I never heard there was a part two.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Wait, what? I remember FrensaGeran getting dogpiled for being proud of insulting Picardo but I never heard there was a part two.

Yeah I just went back to find the actual pic but and couldn’t, but a year or so after Fresna posted the original pic he posted about going to another con and taking a picture of Picardo while he was at some panel and claiming Picardo noticed him and seemed to scowl in recognition.

I swear he posted the actual picture at the same time but I can’t find it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Yeah, there's a grainy picardo_deathstare_partii.jpg out there of Picardo just glowering at him from across a crowded room. Like BMJ said, gently caress me if I could find it though, but I have a vivid image of it in my memory.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Are we sure Picardo ever offers a kinder expression to anyone?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I found it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah I just went back to find the actual pic but and couldn’t

I got you, bud.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

OH CHRIST I FORGOT ABOUT THIS

I would say it hits different now that I'm into Star Trek but I haven't watched much of Voyager yet aside from seeing, years ago, that episode where the Doctor makes a fake family and I think an episode where a girl goes back through her life in a weird time thing to the point where she returns to an embryo?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m rewatching Voyager and… I don’t hate it? It’s not good, especially during the Kes years, but it’s usually just inoffensively fine.

I’m also listening to the Delta Flyers podcast at the same time and it’s definitely helped soften my initial impression of the show though, so ymmv.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Timby posted:

I got you, bud.

Picardo is looking at that guy like he's a Hitler painting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m rewatching Voyager and… I don’t hate it? It’s not good, especially during the Kes years, but it’s usually just inoffensively fine.

I’m also listening to the Delta Flyers podcast at the same time and it’s definitely helped soften my initial impression of the show though, so ymmv.

I think the context is different now. At the time, it was the worst Trek series overall plus it was running parallel to DS9 just blowing it out of the water every week. Today we have so much worse Trek that watching Voyager again seems refreshing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Grand Fromage posted:

I think the context is different now. At the time, it was the worst Trek series overall plus it was running parallel to DS9 just blowing it out of the water every week. Today we have so much worse Trek that watching Voyager again seems refreshing.

I hate to say it, but yeah this is also part of it. Just the nature of still having 26 episode seasons instead of 10-16ish means Voyager could afford (for better or worse) to try different tones and plots in a way that none of the modern shows will really be able to.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

I mean, yeah. DS9 is giving us "In the Pale Moonlight" while Voyager was giving us...I dunno... yet another subspace anomaly I want to say?

OTOH, figure once Picard starts back up figure we'll likely soon be begging for some Voyager subspace anomalies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Also just the now-quaint scale of the problems presented. “The crew waits for letters from home but Tom is being weird about it” is way less exhausting to watch than “If we don’t figure out the 10-C’s language in the next thirty seconds the entire universe will die and also Book will do some stupid suicidal revenge poo poo”.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Also just the now-quaint scale of the problems presented. “The crew waits for letters from home but Tom is being weird about it” is way less exhausting to watch than “If we don’t figure out the 10-C’s language in the next thirty seconds the entire universe will die and also Book will do some stupid suicidal revenge poo poo”.

Yeah, I agree with this. Voyager is aggressively mediocre, occasionally very good, occasionally absolutely dogshit.

But it's still more watchable than Discovery or Picard.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Voyager's two biggest sins are 1) not really doing anything with the premise they set up for the show (you know, lost in the rear end end of the galaxy, half the crew are terrorists who explicitly rejected Starfleet, no built in support network, etc) and 2) being mostly boring.

Voyager has 25 or 30 fantastic episodes across 7 seasons, and maybe 10 dire pieces of poo poo episodes, but the vast majority of them are just forgettable filler.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
In endgame, Janeway should of gone back in time and given the producers a list of all the great episodes and told them just to make those.

If you're going to gently caress around with time travel, do it right. :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dr_rat posted:

should of

How do people still do this?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Everyone posted:

I mean, yeah. DS9 is giving us "In the Pale Moonlight" while Voyager was giving us...I dunno... yet another subspace anomaly I want to say?

I was curious, so I looked it up. The same week as DS9 had "In the Pale Moonlight," Voyager actually had "The Omega Directive," so not too bad.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Timby posted:

How do people still do this?

I of no idea.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I actually find my rewatches of Voyager more enjoyable the more I watch it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Voyager's aggressive blandness made it really stand out until, uh, fairly recently.

My current stance on Voyager is that it's okay as background noise while I'm working, but I regret the time I actually tried to watch the whole thing. It's the only 90s-era Trek where I really can't just sit down and watch an episode for the umpteenth without finding myself bored to tears.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Voyager is easily in 3rd place behind DS9 and TNG for me but honestly I like watching it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

What kills Voyager for me is that I kind of just openly dislike most of the characters. Harry and Tom are charisma blackholes. Neelix is... Neelix. B'elanna basically doesn't exist except as a 2d caricature. Chakotay is frustrating as hell because he gets brief moments of being a cool character before getting sucked down into terminal blandness or racist stereotypes. Kate Mulgrew is great, but Janeway is terrible unless you pretend that the writers intentionally created a bad captain and a psychopath. Tuvok, Seven, and the Doctor are the only consistently good characters.

I dunno. It's the characters and cast chemistry that make Star Trek shows rewatchable for me, and I just don't find Voyager's characters entertaining.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Star Trek: You put the "durr" in duranium

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

8one6 posted:

Voyager's two biggest sins are 1) not really doing anything with the premise they set up for the show (you know, lost in the rear end end of the galaxy, half the crew are terrorists who explicitly rejected Starfleet, no built in support network, etc) and 2) being mostly boring.

Voyager has 25 or 30 fantastic episodes across 7 seasons, and maybe 10 dire pieces of poo poo episodes, but the vast majority of them are just forgettable filler.

In its defense that's basically every Star Trek series as a whole, with the ratio of good episodes to meh episodes varying from series to series.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I think it was in the making of DS9 book that came out in its early years, there was a quote from David Livingston that stuck with me: basically, that common wisdom at the time was that for a given season of any tv show, a third of the episodes would be amazing television, a third would be decent, middle of the road television, and a third would be outright terrible - and that was considered normal. I feel like television hasn’t been able to get away with that for decades now, but it’s an interesting view into thoughts at the time.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

What kills Voyager for me is that I kind of just openly dislike most of the characters. Harry and Tom are charisma blackholes. Neelix is... Neelix. B'elanna basically doesn't exist except as a 2d caricature. Chakotay is frustrating as hell because he gets brief moments of being a cool character before getting sucked down into terminal blandness or racist stereotypes. Kate Mulgrew is great, but Janeway is terrible unless you pretend that the writers intentionally created a bad captain and a psychopath. Tuvok, Seven, and the Doctor are the only consistently good characters.

I dunno. It's the characters and cast chemistry that make Star Trek shows rewatchable for me, and I just don't find Voyager's characters entertaining.

Of course, a key part of this is that the producers literally told most of the cast to not emote.

I feel bad for the actors told not to act for seven years straight. It really puts the stories about Beltran not giving a poo poo in their proper context.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tunzie posted:

I think it was in the making of DS9 book that came out in its early years, there was a quote from David Livingston that stuck with me: basically, that common wisdom at the time was that for a given season of any tv show, a third of the episodes would be amazing television, a third would be decent, middle of the road television, and a third would be outright terrible - and that was considered normal. I feel like television hasn’t been able to get away with that for decades now, but it’s an interesting view into thoughts at the time.

Honestly, I prefer that. Like sure you get some real stinkers, but it also gives room for writers to experiment and you can get some really amazing episodes from that. Also, the decent episodes usually have their moments even if the entire episode doesn't particularly stand out.

Strange New Worlds was good because it wasn't completely serialized, and I think it would have benefited from more episodes even if each individual episode had a lower budget. We also don't get bottle episodes anymore even though those can be really good.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

:lol:

lmao i forgot about this

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Wow, I don't really like Prime Directive stories. Latest one was "Pen Pals" and... ugh.

The Prime Directive drives me up the wall because I don't think the answer to "what should have been different in the Columbian Exchange" was "if both sides had the same technology it would have worked out fine for all involved."

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I thought you were going to say something like "letting an entire civilisionation perish on the spurious grounds of non-interference is morally indefensible" or something. I think I get what you're talking about though. Contact is permissible for post-warp civilisations.

e:

I guess a criticism you could raise is that sometimes moral dilemmas in Star Trek are a prettified form of actual dilemmas in the real world. And in that sense are in danger of distorting those real "dilemmas". I never really liked the war crimes contest between Eddington and Sisko. It always seemed to reminiscent of someone trying to rationalise Hiroshima.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 22, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Twincityhacker posted:

Wow, I don't really like Prime Directive stories. Latest one was "Pen Pals" and... ugh.

The Prime Directive drives me up the wall because I don't think the answer to "what should have been different in the Columbian Exchange" was "if both sides had the same technology it would have worked out fine for all involved."

To be fair, that's (supposedly) only part of the issue that the prime directive is supposed to avoid. "First contact can severely gently caress up less technologically advanced civilizations" is not actually a bad conceptual starting point.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

To be fair, that's (supposedly) only part of the issue that the prime directive is supposed to avoid. "First contact can severely gently caress up less technologically advanced civilizations" is not actually a bad conceptual starting point.

See Pakleds and Kazon, those were both contacted before getting anywhere near warp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Yah but Picard usually the has worst interpretation of the Prime Directive. Whole civilizations must be lost because the cosmos demands it makes you as much a "god" as saving a primative race of people because their planet is going to die.