Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I hope saying this does not jinx it, but after 48 hours the physical symptoms I'm getting are really not too bad. They were worst in the morning today and got steadily better throughout the day. Neck is a little store, nose+ears are uncomfortably stuffy, nose is raw from blowing it so much, I have that sort of slightly-delayed-action underwater feeling, but that's about it. It's likely that adderall + 800mg ibuprofin are suppressing most of them. If I didn't know of positive exposure and test myself and get a positive test I'm not sure I would have even thought that this was COVID.

But man, the mental effects are kicking my rear end. All day long my focus and concentration has been at about the same level it's at when the pharmacy runs out of stock of adderall and I start withdrawing - my attention span is less than 4 minutes long, nothing interests or excites me, I've done nothing except sit here and stare off into space all day long. Watching a movie or playing a videogame is just plain more mental effort than I can manage right now. I keep finding myself stuck in loops walking back and forth between 2 rooms and forgetting what I got up for.

Like I'll get up and head to the garage to draw, I grab my tablet and carry it out, then when I'm out there I realize I forgot my stylus. So I go inside, but before I get the stylus I step into the kitchen and grab a drink of water, then go back to the garage and go "oh yeah, Stylus", then I step inside and head to the kitchen and take my antihistamines or whatever and head back to the garage and go "ohhh, yeah, Stylus." and then go inside and go load a bowl and get high and head back to the garage and go "gah, stylus!". Just like picking myself up and moving to a different room like this takes 30+ minutes right now.

I spent probably 6+ hours today just kind of aimlessly walking around home and the entire time it felt like I was heading to somewhere specific to do something specific but there was actually nothing, there was nowhere I was going and no plan, I was just walking in circles. If this is the covid brain fog and I get stuck with it long-term then ugh.

e: Writing this post took me almost a full hour because I kept getting up and walking away to do... absolutely nothing, I had nothing to do in a different room but I just felt like I was supposed to get up and walk away, and I wouldn't realize until I actually did that I had no idea what I was getting up and walking away for.

I think posting on the forums is literally the only thing I did today (when I was sitting in one spot), and in an entire day of posting I managed an entire 24 posts.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I know covidyceps is a joke, but is covidyceps a joke

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The greatest trick covidyceps ever pulled was convincing the world it doesn’t exist.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

:hmmyes:

For what it's worth this behavior is very similar to just plain ol' adderall withdrawal, which I go through kind of regularly because there's been a national shortage for the last 8 months and there's usually a waitlist to refill prescriptions. But it's happening despite the fact that I took my meds today. And usually with adderall withdrawal I'm so tired and fatigued that I just lay in bed all day, but that's not going on here at all, I am wide awake (because I took adderall)

edit: Dang, it turns out there's a statistically-significant link between prescribed stimulant use for ADHD and less-severe COVID outcomes, what do you know:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9279163/

quote:

5. Conclusion
Emerging evidence indicates that adults with ADHD are at increased risk of infection and complications from the SARS-CoV-2 virus infection. Our study of TriNetX-based EHR data showed that, among adults with ADHD and COVID-19, those treated with stimulants, compared to those not treated with pharmacotherapy, had lower healthcare utilization (ED visits, hospitalization, ICU care) and mortality rates after COVID-19 infection, suggesting the risk of COVID-19 complications can be reduced in a population of adults with stimulant-treated ADHD. Additional research is needed to understand the effects of COVID-19 on neurological mechanisms and interactions with ADHD medications. Further research, accounting for the impact of potential confounders, is needed to elucidate these findings, evaluate the relationship between stimulant treatment and COVID-19 outcomes among adults with ADHD, and help guide clinical decision-making.
Though they also say it's possible that it's not the pharmacological effects of stimulants but more the demographics that they tend to be prescribed to (younger, healthier). I think it is likely that the adderall is counteracting a lot of the physical symptoms of COVID (things like fatigue and body aches) in my case, but it seems to not be having its usual mental effect.

As you can see by the edit timestamps I spent over an hour writing and editing this short post :v: Covid is no fun

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 22, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Anne Whateley posted:

They're not trying to argue that it's an actual mind-altering condition like cordyceps fungus which deliberately rewires the brain to make the carrier spread the virus but it's referencing the people who were covid cautious for a long time but then caught a mild case of covid and afterwards decided not to bother being cautious any more and even pressured others into lowering their guard. It's a psychological/social response to the pandemic

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Ok I tested positive. Not sure where my photo id is so no pax from Dr B yet but I'll take another test when I find it and get that rolling

Weird thing: so far at least w/ my mild symptoms, my daily Adderall pretty much counteracts most of the COVID symptoms. Still don't feel great but the fatigue and confusion is much lessened

e: The hardest part of this right now is my cats. They know something's wrong and they want a ton of attention from me right now but I don't wanna be breathing all over them plus I just don't have the energy for all the cuddling right now, so I have to yell at them to go away and I feel bad :(

Another reason you probably want to avoid your cats is they too can catch covid.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Anne Whateley posted:

It's a joke now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Another reason you probably want to avoid your cats is they too can catch covid.

My cats are impossible to avoid (adopted during the pandemic while I was living alone and never leaving, spent every minute of their life around me, so they get separation anxiety. I keep 3 chairs at my desk because they love to just sit at my desk with me)

But the CDC documentation calls covid complications in animals and human<->animal transmission "Extremely Rare", which is the same phrasing they use for things like long-term complications caused by vaccines in general, and for myocarditis from COVID vaccines, so I'm not too worried about it. They've been avoiding me more than usual anyway since I've been sick and right now I can't put up with how noisy they get if I just lock myself in a room without them

Also I'm pretty sure they understand what's going on pretty well because they generally sleep near my head (like next to my pillow) but ever since I've been sick they've been sleeping near my feet :shrug:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're not trying to argue that it's an actual mind-altering condition like cordyceps fungus which deliberately rewires the brain to make the carrier spread the virus but it's referencing the people who were covid cautious for a long time but then caught a mild case of covid and afterwards decided not to bother being cautious any more and even pressured others into lowering their guard. It's a psychological/social response to the pandemic
I think it's used to refer to the situation where someone catches covid and then while sick and contagious suddenly feels the need to go out, do things, see other people, etc., such as:

I spent probably 6+ hours today just kind of aimlessly walking around home and the entire time it felt like I was heading to somewhere specific to do something specific but there was actually nothing, there was nowhere I was going and no plan, I was just walking in circles.

e: Writing this post took me almost a full hour because I kept getting up and walking away to do... absolutely nothing, I had nothing to do in a different room but I just felt like I was supposed to get up and walk away
hence the joke

deep dish I know you aren't infecting anyone or leaving your house, it was just a joke that we have now thoroughly identified and dissected

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Amphetamines were first used as decongestants. It makes sense they'd reduce symptoms.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Anne Whateley posted:

I just fell down a behavior-altering parasite research rabbit hole again and I do get why a lot of people don’t like to consider that humans aren’t unique in the animal kingdom and that our behavior can also be influenced by viruses because that’s not a fun and cool thing at all.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

is this related also to how covid has lowered our defenses against fungus based infections? like how black fungus ravaged india during the second wave of infections or are we just making a TLOU reference?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Strong Sauce posted:

is this related also to how covid has lowered our defenses against fungus based infections? like how black fungus ravaged india during the second wave of infections or are we just making a TLOU reference?

It's also pretty common to get a secondary/opportunistic post-viral infection, there's a LOT of people who got ear infections immediately after clearing covid (me included)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Since animals can catch covid, I wonder if the rapid tests work on them too. Though good luck getting a cat to let you shove a little q tip up their nose for ten seconds.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Anne Whateley posted:

I think it's used to refer to the situation where someone catches covid and then while sick and contagious suddenly feels the need to go out, do things, see other people, etc., such as:

I thought it was referring to ddpm's parents, and their "let my call up my son and give him COVID" behavior

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Panfilo posted:

Since animals can catch covid, I wonder if the rapid tests work on them too. Though good luck getting a cat to let you shove a little q tip up their nose for ten seconds.
They might detect SARS-CoV-2 (if it’s there), but the control will not work since that looks for human protein/genetic material (depending on the test). For lateral flow tests, this means the control line won’t show up. For something like Lucira tests, it’ll just say invalid and you won’t see if it found SARS-CoV-2 RNA.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Strong Sauce posted:

Wasn't that happening because the steroids or something they were using to treat COVID had immunosuppressant effects?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8592068/

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
I was under the impression that covid ended the moment B plonked down in the oval office no?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Day 3 update: Physically I feel better than yesterday, except I'm extremely groggy and have a severe amount of sinus pressure. I'm only sleeping for like 3-4 hours/day which is probably the thing that's making me feel the worst. Mentally I can't think straight I've just kinda laid in bed half-assed watching TV all day

Also I lost the ability to taste sweet things, I guess? I tried drinking a soda earlier and it just tasted bitter.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Zugzwang posted:

They might detect SARS-CoV-2 (if it’s there), but the control will not work since that looks for human protein/genetic material (depending on the test). For lateral flow tests, this means the control line won’t show up. For something like Lucira tests, it’ll just say invalid and you won’t see if it found SARS-CoV-2 RNA.

Oh so if you just pour the solution into the rat, no swabbing, the control line won't show up?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beartaco posted:

Oh so if you just pour the solution into the rat, no swabbing, the control line won't show up?

The control line should not show up. This is probably how it will behave if you pour on the included solution.

If instead you pour on some other liquid, like ginger ale or even plain water, all bets are off. Without the pH buffer that the test is designed to use, you may get molecular interactions that result in either or both lines showing.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
It's just not something I ever tried before. I figured it was a control to see if you were using the correct liquid, not that you've got adequate brain scrapings in there.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Beartaco posted:

It's just not something I ever tried before. I figured it was a control to see if you were using the correct liquid, not that you've got adequate brain scrapings in there.
It sorta is, if you consider “the correct liquid” to be human nasal fluid.

Though as Platy said, it is possible to pull some shenanigans with RATs to get false positives. Nucleic acid-based tests (PCR, LAMP, etc) are much harder to fool. Most of the things you could do to gently caress with those would give invalids or false negatives instead of false positives.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just toss in a little human DNA to calm the internal check.

https://twitter.com/__philipn__/status/1596416424414584832

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I started reading the study that guy linked in the thread and was getting worried that it said there's like a 60% transmission rate between human and cat. But then I kept reading and I realized this is an incredibly poorly written study, geeze. Like at one point they assume people were providing them with false data, because some people reported having indoor-only dogs and the authors of the study couldn't fathom how that was possible, so therefore the only conceivable answer is that people did not understand the question and they automatically assume that means that part of the data is errored. (nevermind the fact that tons of ppl living in apartments have indoor-only dogs)

At another point they say 72% of all cats that tested seropositive "had access to the yard", and a few paragraphs later they say that "almost all" cats who tested seropositive were indoor-only cats.

And then after this big study about how super common transmission from human to cat is, they conclude with saying that human to cat transmission is very rare and has only ever been recorded "a few times"

Anyway my key takeaway from the study is that the only cats that tested seropositive were from households that explicitly took zero measures to prevent the spread of covid to their cats, slept with the cats under their covers every night, and regularly kissed their cats even while being COVID positive and symptomatic. i.e. cats only seem to get it if you are literally breathing your covid virii in their face all day long.

Also the other evidence that twitter poster uses in that thread is extremely questionable. He says that cats have no respiratory symptoms and COVID damages their kidneys. His evidence is a screenshot of 8 different reddit posts of people saying their cats died. One of those people said their cat had pre-existing kidney disease, and they're all just assuming that it must have been covid because the humans in the house had COVID when the cat died. Meanwhile all the studies I can find conclude that respiratory issues is the #1 covid-related killer of cats and dogs and say that it's absurdly rare for cats and dogs to get them in the first place.

Pretty much every single source I found in some cursory googling (e.g. mayo clinic) contradict the things that twitter poster is saying. Many of the sources I fould said that while cats do test seropositive, they cannot (or very rarely) become clinically "ill" from covid, though that was often coming from vets' websites and cited as being from as-of-yet unpublished new research from Wuhan.

This guy's entire account is just posts of him giving serious medical-sounding advice about COVID and telling you things like what masks you should buy while never citing sources, and explaining in his bio that he is not a doctor or a medical professional, but a computer programmer. :thumbsdown:

E: dang, sorry for the big rant but I've been frustrated by how difficult it is to find actual evidence-based information about COVID because the vast majority of the sources on the internet are things like this, someone repeating lots of things they've read about COVID without citing sources or verifying any of it themselves. Some of his posts are probably based on real studies but you can't tell which ones without digging into each of them yourself.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 23, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I started reading the study that guy linked in the thread and was getting worried that it said there's like a 60% transmission rate between human and cat. But then I kept reading and I realized this is an incredibly poorly written study, geeze. Like at one point they assume people were providing them with false data, because some people reported having indoor-only dogs and the authors of the study couldn't fathom how that was possible, so therefore the only conceivable answer is that people did not understand the question and they automatically assume that means that part of the data is errored. (nevermind the fact that tons of ppl living in apartments have indoor-only dogs)

At another point they say 72% of all cats that tested seropositive "had access to the yard", and a few paragraphs later they say that "almost all" cats who tested seropositive were indoor-only cats.

And then after this big study about how super common transmission from human to cat is, they conclude with saying that human to cat transmission is very rare and has only ever been recorded "a few times"

Anyway my key takeaway from the study is that the only cats that tested seropositive were from households that explicitly took zero measures to prevent the spread of covid to their cats, slept with the cats under their covers every night, and regularly kissed their cats even while being COVID positive and symptomatic. i.e. cats only seem to get it if you are literally breathing your covid virii in their face all day long.

Also the other evidence that twitter poster uses in that thread is extremely questionable. He says that cats have no respiratory symptoms and COVID damages their kidneys. His evidence is a screenshot of 8 different reddit posts of people saying their cats died. One of those people said their cat had pre-existing kidney disease, and they're all just assuming that it must have been covid because the humans in the house had COVID when the cat died. Meanwhile all the studies I can find conclude that respiratory issues is the #1 covid-related killer of cats and dogs and say that it's absurdly rare for cats and dogs to get them in the first place.

Pretty much every single source I found in some cursory googling (e.g. mayo clinic) contradict the things that twitter poster is saying. Many of the sources I fould said that while cats do test seropositive, they cannot (or very rarely) become clinically "ill" from covid, though that was often coming from vets' websites and cited as being from as-of-yet unpublished new research from Wuhan.

This guy's entire account is just posts of him giving serious medical-sounding advice about COVID and telling you things like what masks you should buy while never citing sources, and explaining in his bio that he is not a doctor or a medical professional, but a computer programmer. :thumbsdown:

E: dang, sorry for the big rant but I've been frustrated by how difficult it is to find actual evidence-based information about COVID because the vast majority of the sources on the internet are things like this, someone repeating lots of things they've read about COVID without citing sources or verifying any of it themselves. Some of his posts are probably based on real studies but you can't tell which ones without digging into each of them yourself.

Does he know the difference between Covid and the coronaviruses that cats are regularly vaccinated for. I’ll have to check, but that may be one of the viruses that once cats have it, it’s there for life, but likely not doing a bunch of harm to them if they are vaccinated. (I’ve forgotten all of my cat virus knowledge from two decades ago).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lucira’s product wasn’t tested against any feline coronaviruses, but it was tested against the four endemic human coronaviruses, plus MERS‐CoV and SARS‐CoV, and a panel of other pathogens and substances. See page fourteen for the list.

It could throw a false positive more or less at random, but a feline coronavirus in particular probably isn’t going to set it off.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 23, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Writing that post last night feels like a fever dream :v:

It's day 4, I slept pretty well last night (about 5 hours) and today I am feeling significantly better. The only physical symptom I still have is mild head congestion, not nearly as bad as the last few days (and I haven't even taken a Sudafed yet today). The foggy thinking is mostly gone, I'm able to focus on things, I actually played videogames for a while today. The body aches are gone, the runny nose is gone. I am holding out hope that symptoms don't suddenly lurch back over the next day or two since symptoms fading and coming back arbitrarily is apparently a normal covid thing. But I'm feeling good.

The most alarming thing is I just realized that it has been over 60 hours since the last time I ate anything at all, and I have absolutely zero appetite or hunger. I didn't even think about food once in the last 2 and a half days. So I'm going to make myself eat some lunch today.

A combination of ibuprofin, sudafed, flonase and pedialyte mostly kept the cold-like and flu-like symptoms away. And any time I've been coughing it's been a wet cough with plenty of neon green phlegm so at least I've been clearing this poo poo outta' me. None of that today though (yet)!

Lymph nodes are only slightly swollen today so I think either my immune system is giving up (unlikely. I think this is the first time in well over a decade I've been this kind of sick, that thing is usually chugging along like a champ) or there's just not much left for it to fight in there.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 23, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You should try to make yourself eat something because ibuprofen on an empty stomach is not good for you at all. Not sure if pedialyte counts in that scenario or not but I kinda hosed my stomach up by taking too much ibuprofen for my headaches over a long period, not realizing the side effects.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
Normally if I need to take ibuprofen on an empty stomach I just eat a bar of chocolate first. That way, you get the chocolate and the ibuprofen.

Also sometimes i eat the chocolate even if I don't need to take any ibuprofen.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah I got some lunch in me today :unsmith:

I've actually been getting a fair amount of shortness of breath today. Not exactly trouble breathing, but I will bend over to pick something up and it will make my chest hurt, then I'll realize I'm short of breath. Feels like it's at least partially because my lungs are full of gunk to cough up now, so today I'm going with Mucinex instead of Sudafed which will hopefully help out. Feels like it's all moved from the head to the chest by now, my mind is much less foggy for sure.

e: Ignoring my cats and making them stay away from me is the hardest part of this :( Poor kitties just sat outside my bedroom door crying all night because they wanted to come in and sleep on the bed. I'm not particularly worried that I'll get them sick but I'd hate to feel that way and then get them sick.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 23, 2023

naem
May 29, 2011

Charles Ford posted:

Normally if I need to take ibuprofen on an empty stomach I just eat a bar of chocolate first. That way, you get the chocolate and the ibuprofen.

Also sometimes i eat the chocolate even if I don't need to take any ibuprofen.

i’m like a chocoholic for booze

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Yeah I got some lunch in me today :unsmith:

I've actually been getting a fair amount of shortness of breath today. Not exactly trouble breathing, but I will bend over to pick something up and it will make my chest hurt, then I'll realize I'm short of breath. Feels like it's at least partially because my lungs are full of gunk to cough up now, so today I'm going with Mucinex instead of Sudafed which will hopefully help out. Feels like it's all moved from the head to the chest by now, my mind is much less foggy for sure.

e: Ignoring my cats and making them stay away from me is the hardest part of this :( Poor kitties just sat outside my bedroom door crying all night because they wanted to come in and sleep on the bed. I'm not particularly worried that I'll get them sick but I'd hate to feel that way and then get them sick.

if you can get ahold of some Mucinex it'll loosen up the chest gunk and make it way easier to evict

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Pyrtanis posted:

if you can get ahold of some Mucinex it'll loosen up the chest gunk and make it way easier to evict

Also keep it from the gunk from sticking around long enough to get an infection in there.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just to expand on that a little, while Mucinex is a good product, it is basically just a time-release formulation of guaifenesin. The DM version has dextromethorphan as a cough suppressant, but I personally avoid dextromethorphan.

If you have access to a supermarket or department store like Kroger, you can often get generic guaifenesin way cheaper. It won't be time release, but you can fine-tune your dose. I usually get what I think are 200mg tablets (non-time-release) for when it feels like I need to clear out some chest congestion. I've also been prescribed guaifenesin in big horse pill 600mg tablets. Just be aware that if you get syrup or some pills (the generics aren't usually bad) that you can smell and taste guafenesin and it really isn't great. That weird medicine flavor of cough medicines? That's most likely the guaifenesin.

Also, if you're taking guaifenesin pay extra attention to staying hydrated. It can and will dry you out, especially at higher doses over longer time periods.

Source: A history of bronchitis and/or pneumonia going back to childhood.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah I just buy the Kroger brand guafinesin extended release when they have it. I like the extended release so that it lasts through the night and it's like half the price of the name brand.

If you look at the krogen extra strength 1200mg extended release they even have Mucinex as stamped on the name brand pill but the letters are arranged differently and they remove the blue dye. Lol. I think they are made in the same factory, they are both products of England.

Absolutely drink a ton of water while taking it.

I used to get bronchitis and pneumonia all the time until I started taking gaufenisen when my chest started to get congested from a cold.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm feeling a whole lot better today. Still audibly congested and still testing positive, but other than that I feel like I'm 1-2 days out on recovering from a head cold right now.

The mucinex I have is the capsules, which is just plain guafinesin. Definitely helpful.

Anyway on my parents' end... well, that whole thing where my parents invited me over, and didn't tell me that my dad had symptoms for several days until he coughed on me? I insisted he test that night and he tested positive, and then I urged him to go to CVS and get a Pax script. He refused to go that night, my mom badgered him into it the next day. So the next day he got his Pax and started taking it. Well, turns out that was day 6 of symptoms for him (that my mom is aware of, so I'm guessing even a few days longer while he hid it from her). Also as it turns out, he stopped taking it for three days because his COVID symptoms were getting worse and he blamed Pax before finally being convinced to take the remaining doses :psypop: I called to check in he told me he feels completely fine right now. Then I talked to my mom and she said he's been complaining that the Pax didn't work and saying he feels absolutely no better. He's also refusing to drink pedialyte because the name sounds too much like something for kids :rolleyes:

My mom tested positive yesterday (after testing negative the day before), immediately got a pax script, took it first thing. She says she's feeling fine but much like my dad she hides all her illnesses so :shrug: But she's at least taking the proper procedures. I am kind of thankful that she got it when she did, because for some reason they are both under the impression that taking 5 days of Paxlovid means you are no longer contagious. So despite my dad still being sick and testing positive he thinks he's "allowed" to go out in public right now (and he doesn't/won't wear a mask). But the reason I'm kind of thankful is because he's been largely unwilling to leave the house by himself for the last ~20 years, so he won't be going anywhere for at least the duration of her 5-day pax regimen.

I remember having a conversation with them early in the Pandemic where I told them that I absolutely would not be around them any time soon because even then I foresaw this exact situation. I've known for the last 3 years that at some point in this pandemic, my dad was going to get sick, it would be 1000% his own fault, he would hide every symptom and do nothing to prevent spreading it to his family, and I didn't want them passing it to me. Sure enough, that's exactly what happened. At least I am prescient :hellyeah:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Some people wonder why men have a shorter life expectancy than women in most countries. I believe we have the answer right there, to that mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I apparently got a rebound infection, less than a week after fully recovering. What the gently caress? :gonk:. And it looks like my wife is a day behind me, identical to the timetable of our first infection. So no covid for 3 years then I get it twice in two weeks. All I can think of is we got unlucky with the paxolovid? But we both took it exactly as directed :psyduck:. Our kids are fine, both negative. Are we just really unlucky?

Upside, the kids are at school making it easier for us to rest and recover during the day both of us have gotten a ton of sleep since yesterday. Downside, we do have to pick them up after school and feed and care for them in spite of both feeling like garbage again, and stress over not getting them infected again as well.