Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hector Delgado posted:

What's the chat box like being in 5 guilds? I imagine it to be a scrolling nightmare

You can filter out any channels you don’t want to see, or keep them in separate tabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Snowy posted:

Most guilds don’t chat a lot in my experience

I love my helpful but antisocial MMO.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

1glitch0 posted:

I love my helpful but antisocial MMO.

I’m almost the opposite, I don’t really need much from a guild but I like when they’re funny and talkative

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
My guild chat seems to come alive around midnight just as I'm going to bed:smith:

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Advice that often is overlooked but still important:

1. Play what you want and think is cool. This is not a try-hard game, even if some people play like that.
2. On that note, it’s impossible to gimp your character. Some builds may kill faster, or survive longer that others, that’s all.
4. Pick a quest and go with it until you get bored. Or don’t. Or run around seeing everything. Or poke your nose in every little corner. There is no right or wrong way to play. In fact you’ll probably get more enjoyment from the game if you just go with your heart. No quests time out. There is no rush.
4a. Quest order is all over the map. Literally. Pretend you are unstuck in time and some NPCs might know you even though you’ve never met, and vice versa.
4b. The main quest is still pretty drat cool although it does make a lot of sense if you level to like 20 before getting into it. Sans spoilers, it’s super cool when you gain some notoriety before the Big Bad notices you instead of it just being interest because “reasons”. You will get a quest starter before long so you won’t miss it. It involves a (super minor spoiler) mysterious invitation so if you see that, that’s how you get going.
There are (sadly too few) places that make reference to your “status” after you do at least the main story intro quest, so that’s pretty neat when it occurs.
5. Paid subscriptions are worth it and a good value if you plan to keep playing. The ingredient bag is a godsend. If you don’t subscribe, crafting will be an enormous PITA, so I wouldn’t even dabble in it until you sub. The crafting dailies are a great source of XP, gold, and crafting mats and recipes, keep in mind.
6. DO NOT GRIND UNLESS YOU HATE YOURSELF. There’s absolutely no reason to grind in the game.
7. Morrowind is largely considered to be the best dlc area doubly so if you played Morrowind. Plus Vvardenfel is nothing like LotR inspired western fantasy so it’s unique.
8. Join a guild. Or 5. That gets you access to guild banks, vendors (the best way to sell to players), and people who will be willing to group. You can always swap them around if you have jerks for guildies.
9. Public queueing for dungeons is the worst way to experience content, but a great way to get XP and gear. The games been around long enough that 99.99% of groups just rush through leaving you barely enough time to catch up, let alone grab the in-dungeon quests.
10. If you make an argonian you MUST give it a silly name and post it here.

Thanks for the pointers. I did play morrowind and I’m definitely looking forward to that area. We’ll probably snag ESO+ if we keep playing for a couple weeks. My necro tank is actually an argonian, I named him Argues-With-All after one of my own dumb habits (can you guess what it is)?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cretin90 posted:

My wife and I are just starting out as a necro tank and a warden dps. Anyone wanna braindump good newbie pointers on us? Literally everything is welcome. Obviously we will be YouTubing and googling as we go, but there is a lot of trash info online. I’m excited for 2023, it sounds like there are some good changes ahead! (Or tell me I’m dead wrong and actually the planned changes are trash.)

https://uesp.net is a great resource if you can't figure out where to go for something. The interactive, searchable map is especially good for finding missed collectibles, treasure map sites and other miscellaneous things.

If you need skill points, do dungeons. Every group dungeon will give you a skill point when you complete its quest. Every public dungeon has a skyshard hidden somewhere and a group boss that's worth a skill point the first time you kill it.

Thieves Guild has a lot of good skills for earning money. I'd recommend starting it as soon as possible if you have access to it. Same for the Antiquarians in West Skyrim.

I don't recommend spending money on High Isle while it's not on sale but if you do the card game is very good and gives a lot of gold and crafting goods, including style motifs and recipes. Also, the NPC opponents are idiots, they make moves because they can, not because they should.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

Doctor Zero posted:

I called mine Niles :haw:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

7. Morrowind is largely considered to be the best dlc area doubly so if you played Morrowind. Plus Vvardenfel is nothing like LotR inspired western fantasy so it’s unique.

As a Morrowind player it breaks my heart going there and seeing how badly they botched everything.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Came back to this recently, kinda progressing characters, kinda loving around but I'm having issues with getting my damage anywhere past poo poo, for the most part. I know it doesn't matter in the least for most things but I'd like to push it some more for vMA and such.

How much of gear, CP, rotation etc matters these days for PvE? I seem to be stuck around 10-15k DPS with extremely unoptimized setups; bad traits, bad or no enchants, purple weapons, etc. I'm Bad at weaving and it kind of hurts my now ancient hands so I dunno how much further I can really push things unless I gold everything out and optimize it to hell. Even then that's probably fine for most stuff?

My magblade in particular (basic rear end old Julianos/Mother's Sorrow setup) seems awful atm.

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 17, 2023

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Doctor Zero posted:

Nine-Inch-Males.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Orv posted:

Came back to this recently, kinda progressing characters, kinda loving around but I'm having issues with getting my damage anywhere past poo poo, for the most part. I know it doesn't matter in the least for most things but I'd like to push it some more for vMA and such.

How much of gear, CP, rotation etc matters these days for PvE? I seem to be stuck around 10-15k DPS with extremely unoptimized setups; bad traits, bad or no enchants, purple weapons, etc. I'm Bad at weaving and it kind of hurts my now ancient hands so I dunno how much further I can really push things unless I gold everything out and optimize it to hell. Even then that's probably fine for most stuff?

My magblade in particular (basic rear end old Julianos/Mother's Sorrow setup) seems awful atm.
It all interacts in a snowball way. So no one particular thing is necessary, and no one particular thing is enough. Rotation is probably #1, gear second.

When you say 10-15k dps is that in content or on the dummy? If that's in content then you're fine, not great but fine for most things.

If you're bad at weaving and it hurts your hands, consider an oakensoul heavy attack build that does somewhat below top tier dps with a simpler rotation and less clicking. Sorc is most popular but it works with any class; you are rather tied to the lightning staff, tho.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It all interacts in a snowball way. So no one particular thing is necessary, and no one particular thing is enough. Rotation is probably #1, gear second.

When you say 10-15k dps is that in content or on the dummy? If that's in content then you're fine, not great but fine for most things.

If you're bad at weaving and it hurts your hands, consider an oakensoul heavy attack build that does somewhat below top tier dps with a simpler rotation and less clicking. Sorc is most popular but it works with any class; you are rather tied to the lightning staff, tho.

10-15k in content with more standard though very sloppy and unfinished versions of builds. Some of the stuff I've tried I can manage more around 20-25k, stam warden so far has been my most successful. I have a HA build set up but it's not terribly fun for obvious reasons but it is nice for farming stuff from dungeons.

I just need to practice it all, honestly, it's been ages since I played anything with a DoT heavy rotation like most of the builds seem to want and it's throwing me trying to learn to weave again at the same time as maintaining six buffs/DoTs with almost identical timers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

super sweet best pal posted:

As a Morrowind player it breaks my heart going there and seeing how badly they botched everything.

Yeah Vicec really can't keep it together :smithfrog:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I'm surprised a bit by that. Most of what I've heard has been positive. The island is smaller, sure, and not as detailed as Morrowind due to necessity, I imagine, but I enjoy the feels. What don't you like?

Snayke
Mar 5, 2009
I couldn't get into it before but I think I am enjoying the game now. Maybe they have improved the game a lot, as the last time I tried playing was 2015. Will have to go join a guild or two.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Doctor Zero posted:

Flexes-like-Sithis.

:black101:

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm surprised a bit by that. Most of what I've heard has been positive. The island is smaller, sure, and not as detailed as Morrowind due to necessity, I imagine, but I enjoy the feels. What don't you like?

Yeah me too, think this is the first time I've heard something other than love for it. Which is perfectly fine of course, tastes etc, but I'd be interested to know what's bad about it.

e: VVVV :same:

valuum fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 18, 2023

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, I played the gently caress out of og morrowind, and the eso version is nothing but good feels (some writing is iffy, and some lorenerd poo poo makes me go 'huh?') But there was never anything particularly bad imo.

E: like most of my complaints I would honestly classify as either me just being a nitpicky fanboy, or endemic to the game as a whole.

Like writing issues are an mmo thing, and every zone in eso has weird or bad writing, so holding that against eso morrowind feels unfair, y'know?

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 18, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
The best side quest is in Morrowind. the daughter who wants to join the Morag Tong. It felt like 5 times the size of a regular side quest.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

The best side quest is in Morrowind. the daughter who wants to join the Morag Tong. It felt like 5 times the size of a regular side quest.

Agreed, it's actually nuanced enough to pay attention to as you play it again with another character unlike, uh, most of the rest of the game?

Vvardenfell being smaller is kinda weird but the attention to detail is still pretty fun. The memorial goons held at the nondescript but still identifiable site of Arlowe's Banhammer was very sweet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Are provisioning and enchanting currently the only two freely-ish available crafting stations through antiquities or other methods?

I assume the rest still come from crowns/writ tickets.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Theres an antiquity blacksmith station that comes from old orsinium.

And a new antiquity woodworking station in Galen.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh neat, thanks.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Error 404 posted:

And a new antiquity woodworking station in Galen.

You can actually get this now?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Error 404 posted:

Yeah, I played the gently caress out of og morrowind, and the eso version is nothing but good feels (some writing is iffy, and some lorenerd poo poo makes me go 'huh?') But there was never anything particularly bad imo.

E: like most of my complaints I would honestly classify as either me just being a nitpicky fanboy, or endemic to the game as a whole.

Like writing issues are an mmo thing, and every zone in eso has weird or bad writing, so holding that against eso morrowind feels unfair, y'know?

If I had to pick one improvement, it would b e that the weather is far too clear. We need ash storms, damnit! I was really surprised you could actually see the Red Mountain from Vivek City, ESO takes place before a major eruption.

Oh, and WHERE THE gently caress ARE THE CLIFF RACERS???

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh while I’m asking probably stupid questions that the internet is kinda unhelpful about; Mora’s Whisper, is Shalidor’s Library account wide now for that purpose or?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

they omitted cliff racers because of our collective ptsd

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Orv posted:

Oh while I’m asking probably stupid questions that the internet is kinda unhelpful about; Mora’s Whisper, is Shalidor’s Library account wide now for that purpose or?

Nope, each character you want to use that mythic with has to find all the books themselves.

On the one hand that's a hell of a lol gently caress you, on the other, its really fitting if you consider where the mythic comes from.

SplitSoul posted:

You can actually get this now?

Yeah, I have one in my house right now.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 18, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Nope, each character you want to use that mythic with has to find all the books themselves.

On the one hand that's a hell of a lol gently caress you, on the other, its really fitting if you consider where the mythic comes from.

Absolutely gently caress that noise, yeah.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

It's a lot of little things that when put together kind of ruin the experience. Take the Shrine of Justice, the iconic feature of the Gnisis temple in the original. Instead of being the central feature of the temple's main area, it's just a plaque in the corner somewhere and the ash mask itself is nowhere to be seen (though if we're splitting hairs, the shrine shouldn't even exist for another 300 years when Dagoth Ur awakens and starts spreading the Blight).

A lot of the architecture seems bland and too far removed from what it was in Morrowind. Temples lack the expansive undercrofts, have weird lofts with wooden floorboards, have way too many furnishings and lack the shrines to the saints that were the most prominent feature of the Morrowind versions. The classic layout of Velothi towers like Arvs-Drelen is gone and the textures on the inside walls make them look like completely different buildings.

Minor nitpick but I really don't feel like the fetcherfly golems belong.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Impressive that the Blade of Woe somehow got buggier.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Hoping that the big announcement is ZOS porting over all the Skyrim sex mods to ESO :cheers:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Defenistrator posted:

Hoping that the big announcement is ZOS porting over all the Skyrim sex mods to ESO :cheers:

Riften zone chat already exists tho

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Error 404 posted:

Riften zone chat already exists tho

It's too tame.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

The island's not smaller, ESO just has better draw distance and faster movement. Reinstall Morrowind and add a mod to increase the draw distance/remove the fog and you'll see, Vvardenfell was always tiny. You didn't notice because they played tricks with fog and landscaping like in a Disney park to make distances seem longer than they were.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

g0del posted:

The island's not smaller, ESO just has better draw distance and faster movement. Reinstall Morrowind and add a mod to increase the draw distance/remove the fog and you'll see, Vvardenfell was always tiny. You didn't notice because they played tricks with fog and landscaping like in a Disney park to make distances seem longer than they were.

No, I don't mean that. I could have sworn I saw a dev say that the island is scaled a little bit smaller due to console memory and the way the maps are loaded in ESO, and they increased zone sizes in later chapters. I must have dreamt it, because I can't find it now.

Although, even if it's 1:1, ESO is smaller because you can't get to the northern islands with Sheogorad and Dagon Fel (yet).

But yeah, that is one thing I don't like is how clear the air is.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They should do something like the crafting bag for all the treasure maps and surveys they keep giving us.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

They should do something like the crafting bag for all the treasure maps and surveys they keep giving us.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

This or one for the furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

They should do something like adding the loving Drowned Mariner pirate motif that was announced a year ago.