Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
My daughter (6) is very much into fantasy stuff and I think she'd really enjoy a TTRPG. Is there anything that'd be light and approachable for a kid who's still learning to read?

After looking for some suggestions online I came across The Storymaster's Tales: Weirding Woods. The book should be here today, but I wanted to get some more suggestions if that's a bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Wanderhome.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Awesome. I'll look into once I get home from work.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My six year old loves No Thank You Evil.

Also, Ironsworn (we play Starforged) is great as a co-op with a kid.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I played Adventure Tales with my 6yo once but she basically just took over running the game for herself so I don't know that the mechanics really mattered at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/1616568371587448832?t=K1NUf-fap62d4SkYmbjcmw&s=19

https://twitter.com/tomwalkerisgood/status/1616636952698322947?t=4itY09KfND2sk3av1EqMWA&s=19

🙄🙄🙄

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I mean it's true. Shocking as it may be, not everyone wants to play PTBA game number 8000.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Edo & Etiquette, yet another amazing Lasers & Feelings hack

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Youremother posted:

Edo & Etiquette, yet another amazing Lasers & Feelings hack

Roll Edo when you... haven't gotten around to being called Tokyo yet?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

A high number means you’re better at EDO (poetry about warfare, bloodshed, the passage of time, mourning). A low number means you’re better at ETIQUETTE (poetry about beauty, the changing of the seasons, wildlife, and flattering high-ranking court officials.) If you roll your number exactly, you have EDO ETTIQUETTE. You get a special insight into the cutting word of your verse.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Epi Lepi posted:

I mean it's true. Shocking as it may be, not everyone wants to play PTBA game number 8000.

It's more the attitude of "anything indie is high art fancy gimmicks instead of real rules" in posts like that. There are tons of indie games that range from simple to high crunch.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Youremother posted:

A high number means you’re better at EDO (poetry about warfare, bloodshed, the passage of time, mourning). A low number means you’re better at ETIQUETTE (poetry about beauty, the changing of the seasons, wildlife, and flattering high-ranking court officials.) If you roll your number exactly, you have EDO ETTIQUETTE. You get a special insight into the cutting word of your verse.

Yes, but "Edo" is the name of a place.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

someone failed their yugen roll to perceive the beautiful yet ineffable sense of loss in every moment

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Went to a big local tradgames convention this weekend, came across a lot of the standard shops etc, but this stall of guys were handing out free minis for their soon to launch kickstarter which is basically take a clan of dwarves delving into lost ruins, looks pretty neat so thought I'd share;

https://www.grimskald.com/

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

honestly mostly a condemnation against the social literacy of people who have more than 1000 followers on twitter

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I prefer the 2D20 version of FishBlade but whatevs.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Still better edited than Shadowrun.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Edo & Etiquette basically already exists, it's a supplement for Burning Wheel called The Blossoms Are Falling, and its social conflict system is focused on writing poetry. Blossoms is set in Heian era, but still.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Paracausal posted:

Went to a big local tradgames convention this weekend, came across a lot of the standard shops etc, but this stall of guys were handing out free minis for their soon to launch kickstarter which is basically take a clan of dwarves delving into lost ruins, looks pretty neat so thought I'd share;

This looks neat, thanks for sharing

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Epi Lepi posted:

Well, it's not like Pathfinder needs any extra promotion for all of their physical books to be selling out right now, but I also haven't been seeing anyone sincerely going "Wow D&D is dead! Finally, my game about crying and banking cakes for sick dragons will finally be the new 'it' RPG! Buy it today at my itch storefront!!!" Like besides Pathfinder, all I really see floated are 13th Age and OSR things if people are looking for D&D copium right now.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. I feel like we have more than enough DnD-likes to recommend nowadays if you want to scratch that DnD itch. If Pathfinder's not your speed, there's 13th Age, Shadow of the Demon Lord, all of the OSR games. If none of the existing ones grab you, there's Black Flag getting a playtest surprisingly soon, whatever Matt Colville's cooking up, and who knows how many other heel-chasers? And that's without even getting into more out there games that still fill the fantasy adventure mold like Soulbound or Fellowship, or delving into even more indie projects that aren't immediately high-concept dives into grief and how thinly you can prune a stat system.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
yeah, but if you look at the games actually out there you can't dismiss them as weird and esoteric to justify never moving outside of the D&D comfort zone

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
To be clear, my issue with the tweets is the propagation of the idea that "indie" corresponds to an esoteric diceless game about exploring feelings

Even if you don't think that there's anything wrong with that kind of game, it quite obviously isn't the only thing that the indie space can and does do

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Oh, without a doubt on both of those regards. We're in one of the most exciting periods of the indie tabletop scene, and its beautiful.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Paracausal posted:

That seems neat

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just did a bit of cursory googling for some anecdotal evidence and lol it seems like the physical Pathfinder 2e core book is nigh un-gettable in Europe (unless you happen to find a copy in a store that doesn't have a webshop or something). Granted, RPG supply chains to Europe are usually really bad... is it mostly sold out in the US too?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Drone posted:

Just did a bit of cursory googling for some anecdotal evidence and lol it seems like the physical Pathfinder 2e core book is nigh un-gettable in Europe (unless you happen to find a copy in a store that doesn't have a webshop or something). Granted, RPG supply chains to Europe are usually really bad... is it mostly sold out in the US too?

That's ok. Physical books are extremely last-century and the digital copies get errata integrated.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be clear, my issue with the tweets is the propagation of the idea that "indie" corresponds to an esoteric diceless game about exploring feelings

Even if you don't think that there's anything wrong with that kind of game, it quite obviously isn't the only thing that the indie space can and does do

i t ' s
a
j o k e

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

The Bee posted:

Oh, without a doubt on both of those regards. We're in one of the most exciting periods of the indie tabletop scene, and its beautiful.

I don't know, I feel like I'm missing something.

Sure, you've got all these relatively light indie RPG's but... where's my modern SenZar? I'm missing the moonshot more-passion-than-competence 1000-page doorstoppers filled with enthusiasm but short on coherence. I realize that many of them I might never actually play, but I always found them fascinating to read and puzzle over. I haven't been able to find another one of those since Kromore, which felt like a blast from a better past.

Toshimo posted:

That's ok. Physical books are extremely last-century and the digital copies get errata integrated.

Maybe I am just becoming An Old, but I always feel like I have an easier time reading and finding stuff in physical books than digital documents.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

sebmojo posted:

i t ' s
a
j o k e

It's a lovely, unfunny "joke" that illustrates one of the major problems with D&D players.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I play games like that and I thought it was funny. Take a second to open your heart to laughter.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
The problem is that it's a joke that is virtually indistinguishable from Things People Actually Say, alas.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drone posted:

Yes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I thought it was pretty funny.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kestral posted:

The problem is that it's a joke that is virtually indistinguishable from Things People Actually Say, alas.

There are some "suggest a PbtA game no matter what recommendation a person is asking for" people on /r/rpg, like there are for many systems, but I admit it, some of them are kinda... weird about it. There is a weird undercurrent of "playing PbtA games is a part of my self-image as a good person (tradgames are ~*icky and problematic*~)" I get from their posts sometimes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Panzeh posted:

I thought it was pretty funny.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Sure, you've got all these relatively light indie RPG's but... where's my modern SenZar? I'm missing the moonshot more-passion-than-competence 1000-page doorstoppers filled with enthusiasm but short on coherence. I realize that many of them I might never actually play, but I always found them fascinating to read and puzzle over. I haven't been able to find another one of those since Kromore, which felt like a blast from a better past.

Forgotten Kingdoms? Lancer? But those are pretty competent.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Toshimo posted:

I wasn't posting about it to bemoan the lack of physical books vs. always-available PDFs, I was posting about it to point out that Paizo is clearly making a fuckton of money over the last few weeks, so much so that it drained the stock of physical books.

(the best is when you buy a physical book and they give you a code for a PDF though. :discourse: to publishers who do this)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kestral posted:

If your first reaction to D&D shooting itself in the foot wasn't to pull out FishBlade I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Siivola posted:

If your first reaction to D&D shooting itself in the foot wasn't to pull out FishBlade I don't know what to tell you.
I'd play fishblade. Sounds like everyone is john but with a beknived fish.