Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Going to post this in a few threads since there's a blizzard coming and my sister doesn't have a phone.

My dad switched our family plan from AT&T to Xfinity Mobile (Verizon network). 3 of the 4 phones swapped over fine but Xfinity is saying my sister's iPhone 14 Pro Max is incompatible. She paid off the whole phone with AT&T and the phone is now unlocked, but they are saying she has to sell it herself and buy a new one from them. Is there any technical reason this phone is actually incompatible? Long gone are the days of GSM and CDMA, right?

It sounds like it's just the IMEI not being in their database? This post about another Verizon network company sounds similar but the solution didn't work for her: https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/comments/rzby5z/solution_if_your_phone_is_unlocked_and_visible/

Any info would be very appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I had a similar experience trying to activate a line on Xfinity with a Pixel 6 Pro. The IMEI wasn't recognized and I spent over 45 mins on the phone to get to a higher level support person who could add it. They said their system only had an option for adding the black P6P since that's the only color they sell, and mine was white. The rep was able to add my IMEI as the black version and activate it. It was a stupid process though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

Going to post this in a few threads since there's a blizzard coming and my sister doesn't have a phone.

My dad switched our family plan from AT&T to Xfinity Mobile (Verizon network). 3 of the 4 phones swapped over fine but Xfinity is saying my sister's iPhone 14 Pro Max is incompatible. She paid off the whole phone with AT&T and the phone is now unlocked, but they are saying she has to sell it herself and buy a new one from them. Is there any technical reason this phone is actually incompatible? Long gone are the days of GSM and CDMA, right?

It sounds like it's just the IMEI not being in their database? This post about another Verizon network company sounds similar but the solution didn't work for her: https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/comments/rzby5z/solution_if_your_phone_is_unlocked_and_visible/

Any info would be very appreciated!

Yeah, unfortunately I have no idea personally. Xfinity piggy backs on Verizon yes, but it runs an entirely different company and system.

What the other person posted sounds correct , sounds like an hour or two of talking to Comcast tech support.

Edit: gave a longer response in the iPhone thread

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 23, 2022

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently I bought a S10e that is so new its less than 60 days active on the VZW network.. which means its carrier locked. Calling VZW gets me nothing but bullshit. Is there any way around this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Apparently I bought a S10e that is so new its less than 60 days active on the VZW network.. which means its carrier locked. Calling VZW gets me nothing but bullshit. Is there any way around this?

No, original owner has to request , and if it wasn’t paid off they won’t unlock it period. I would return it to whomever you bought it from if possible.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Duckman2008 posted:

No, original owner has to request , and if it wasn’t paid off they won’t unlock it period. I would return it to whomever you bought it from if possible.

The IMEI is clean though, so it has been paid off. This was checked by multiple carriers. Anyhow, I just filed a FCC complaint. It will run just fine with a VZW sim

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 24, 2022

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Because that will get you so much further?

If the phone was advertised as unlocked, and it actually didn't meet VZW's conditions, that's a problem with the seller, and you have a clear return case.

If you didn't do your diligence and bought it without verifying that first, that's still not a VZW problem.

If it SHOULD be unlocked because it meets the requirements, and it's not, then that's a different story. Something you'll have to fight with them about.

In the first 2 cases, telling on them to the FCC will net you jack poo poo.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AlexDeGruven posted:

Because that will get you so much further?

If the phone was advertised as unlocked, and it actually didn't meet VZW's conditions, that's a problem with the seller, and you have a clear return case.

If you didn't do your diligence and bought it without verifying that first, that's still not a VZW problem.

If it SHOULD be unlocked because it meets the requirements, and it's not, then that's a different story. Something you'll have to fight with them about.

In the first 2 cases, telling on them to the FCC will net you jack poo poo.

It's actually not unlocked, but it is unlocked, its Schrödinger's phone. The form took me 30 seconds to fill out and will do absolutely nothing. I did feel slightly better however. IEMI is clean, phone is not on contract, and paid off. But you see ALL phones are unlocked from verizon.. after being active on their network for 60 days because.. ????!

redeyes fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 24, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Its the 3rd case, its just their loving BS 60 day thing. The form took me 30 seconds to fill out and will do absolutely nothing. I did feel slightly better however.

Sorry for the issue first off.

2nd off: it would be great if everything was always unlocked and perfect. I’m all for it.

3rd: Verizon has a lot of dumb bullshit policies. Obviously. That said, the 60 day lock period I am honestly all for. The 60 day lock is there primarily for theft deterrent, and while that smells like bullshit, I legit both think that’s the reason and I agree with it.

They were the only carrier to sell phones completely unlocked from the get go. But basically, that also made Verizon a HUGE target for theft compared to ATT and T-Mobile. And as someone who worked 12 years in cell phone retail, the concept of armed robbery of your local cell phone store is no joke.

Stores keep like, 100-200 phones at any one time, most of them $700-1000+ value. Criminals can rob a phone store and literally get $50-100k. You need theft deterrents.

I don’t expect you to see it from that angle, and again it sucks you got hosed from the policy. But I do think it’s a legit policy and does help.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I appreciate all that. Truely I do. Thing is they are happy to let you use their phones on their network during this time. I fail to see any difference in this case. Anyhow! Thanks for the information.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Danhenge posted:

I just got married in October and my wife and I combined our account into my account. She just got her final bill, which is -$210. That's about 3x her monthly bill. It makes sense that she got refunded the postpaid amount for the month, but I dunno what's going on with the other stuff. Any ideas? It's not urgent, just confusing.

So she got a visa gift card for $275 and her final bill reflects that amount with no explanation. Only thing we can figure is that maybe she paid a deposit in college when she started her service that never got refunded and it's ten+ years of interest payments or something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Danhenge posted:

So she got a visa gift card for $275 and her final bill reflects that amount with no explanation. Only thing we can figure is that maybe she paid a deposit in college when she started her service that never got refunded and it's ten+ years of interest payments or something.

No idea, but hey take the credit.

A deposit does accrue interest so always possible , but that’s super rare.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

No idea, but hey take the credit.

A deposit does accrue interest so always possible , but that’s super rare.

I just hate an unexplained mystery but trying to get the bottom of it feels like asking the bank why they made an error in my favor.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I applied a corporate discount to my personal line (22%) in November. I was told it would apply on my following bill… it didn’t. Called again and was told it would apply on my next bill. However when I “preview next months bill” it’s still not applied. Is this normal? I don’t really trust that it will be applied properly next month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

I applied a corporate discount to my personal line (22%) in November. I was told it would apply on my following bill… it didn’t. Called again and was told it would apply on my next bill. However when I “preview next months bill” it’s still not applied. Is this normal? I don’t really trust that it will be applied properly next month.

Corporate discounts are discontinued , if someone told you you would get a discount they were wrong. Sorry Russian Bear.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Corporate discounts are discontinued , if someone told you you would get a discount they were wrong. Sorry Russian Bear.

Aw bummer ok.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My wife got a new iPhone to replace her old one. Kept the same number, they activated it at the Apple store.
My bill comes in and Verizon is charging a $35 upgrade fee. Is this a mistake (or more to the point something I have a decent shot at overturning) or is it just normal bullshit?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My wife got a new iPhone to replace her old one. Kept the same number, they activated it at the Apple store.
My bill comes in and Verizon is charging a $35 upgrade fee. Is this a mistake (or more to the point something I have a decent shot at overturning) or is it just normal bullshit?

Normal bullshit. Call (800) 392-0717 , option 0 , see if they will waive it. Can’t guarantee it, but if you’re nice I think they will.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Does anyone know what's the deal with the $30/month "visible by verizon?" whats the difference between that and regular verizon 5g at ~30-40$/month?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jinnigan posted:

Does anyone know what's the deal with the $30/month "visible by verizon?" whats the difference between that and regular verizon 5g at ~30-40$/month?

Lowest on the totem pole data priority and 0 customer support besides online chat.

Expect data speeds to be slow either all the time or a lot of the time.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

hmm, how slow we talking? i don't really do too much besides futzing with instagram stories and tiktok from time to time. i never watch movies, streamers, or download big games unless i'm on wifi. are we talking like.... instagram pictures loading at 56k speeds, or that tiktoks will be blurry sometimes (fine)? trying to figure out if this would be a Good Choice for me, the guy who mostly stays in the house

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 19, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jinnigan posted:

hmm, how slow we talking? i don't really do too much besides futzing with instagram stories and tiktok from time to time. i never watch movies or download big games unless i'm on wifi. are we talking like.... instagram pictures loading at 56k speeds, or that tiktoks will be blurry sometimes (fine)? trying to figure out if this would be a Good Choice for me, the guy who mostly stays in the house

Tbh, hard for me to answer since I’ve never used it myself.

I know it def will be more noticeable if you are in a more urban area versus rural area.

Obviously yeah, it’s meant for minimal usage so if you wfh with Wi-Fi , not a bad option.

It’s no contract , so if you try it and don’t like it you can always switch away.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

my phone isn't supported by verizon visible so i'm looking at their regular plans.

$60/month with Prepaid Unlimited Plus
50GB premium network access
vs
$60/month with 5G Start
unclear: all the mobile data is premium??
5GB Premium mobile hotpost

not sure which way to go with

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Duckman how's the home internet service and can you sell it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jinnigan posted:

my phone isn't supported by verizon visible so i'm looking at their regular plans.

$60/month with Prepaid Unlimited Plus
50GB premium network access
vs
$60/month with 5G Start
unclear: all the mobile data is premium??
5GB Premium mobile hotpost

not sure which way to go with

What phone do you have ? To confirm compatibility.

The $60 Prepaid plan (after autopay discount) is priority access.

The postpaid Start unlimited is actually $70 with autopay ($60 if you are Military, first responder student teacher or nurse) you can get slowed down if on a converted tower.

Pm me I can help you switch to either.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

I do sell it, if you qualify and want it pleas PM me.

Check availability here:

https://www.verizon.com/5g/home/

Reviews:

So I don’t qualify for it at my address. But I certainly sell a ton of them and see if people keep or don’t keep it.

Here’s my overall input: the speeds are 100-300mb is what is advertised. I have gotten a lot of mileage varies with the speeds. I’ve had people tell me it won’t get over 100. I’ve had people tell me it’s fine.

My opinion: well, if it’s your only option then of course it’s fine. If you have internet speeds of 300+ mb , well it won’t replace that. If it’s under 300 I would try it.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I got a text offering a $40 discount on two lines if I switched to an unlimited plan. Would that stack with a teacher discount?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

kensei posted:

I have their LTE home internet and it’s been a huge upgrade over the CenturyLink DSL I had before. I live in a rural area and I don’t think usage is very high here. It’s advertised as 25Mbps typical with 50Mbps max and I never had any trouble maxing it out, so there must not be much demand on my tower.

The modem they sent me is 5G compatible but we don’t have 5G here yet.

I just did another speed test out of curiosity and got 220Mbps down and 67 up. Wow. There was a very brief outage the other day (10 min), they must have performed an upgrade.

For rural internet, it’s a game changer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Danhenge posted:

I got a text offering a $40 discount on two lines if I switched to an unlimited plan. Would that stack with a teacher discount?

It wouldn’t stack with the teacher discount , but the teacher discount is $25 versus $40 so I would take it.

LordOfThePants posted:

I have their LTE home internet and it’s been a huge upgrade over the CenturyLink DSL I had before. I live in a rural area and I don’t think usage is very high here. It’s advertised as 25Mbps typical with 50Mbps max and I never had any trouble maxing it out, so there must not be much demand on my tower.

I just did another speed test out of curiosity and got 220Mbps down and 67 up. Wow. There was a very brief outage the other day (10 min), they must have performed an upgrade.

I never get follow up reviews from customers so thank you for sharing this. I never knew if the LTE version went over 50 or if it was soft capped. Good to know it can be faster.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

It wouldn’t stack with the teacher discount , but the teacher discount is $25 versus $40 so I would take it.

We pay all-in $114 for the 10 GB plan at the moment. The billing thing says $159 for Play More, which would put us down to $119. We also already pay for Hulu no-ads, so that would net us closer to $104 for our phone bill after considering what we'd save on Hulu, yeah?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Danhenge posted:

We pay all-in $114 for the 10 GB plan at the moment. The billing thing says $159 for Play More, which would put us down to $119. We also already pay for Hulu no-ads, so that would net us closer to $104 for our phone bill after considering what we'd save on Hulu, yeah?

You have 2 lines ?

And feel free to PM if you want me to call you and just confirm over the phone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looking for some confirmation here. If you add the $100 monthly international plan to a line, is it a straight calendar month ignoring cycle billing date?

Related I guess, is there a better fairly easy option for someone going out of the country for over 20 days that absolutely needs access to their US phone number? I can’t think of any.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Looking for some confirmation here. If you add the $100 monthly international plan to a line, is it a straight calendar month ignoring cycle billing date?

Related I guess, is there a better fairly easy option for someone going out of the country for over 20 days that absolutely needs access to their US phone number? I can’t think of any.

It lasts for 30 days from whatever day you add it.

It’s call, text and 20GB if data. For 20 days unless you’re using a lot of data it’s the best option.

If you need help adding it on I can help , feel free to PM.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

LordOfThePants posted:

Pigeon Protocol would probably be better than most CenturyLink offerings, TBH.

I'm interested in the 5G home internet, but we're not in a supported area yet, and I can tell they really need to roll out some capacity here because as soon as my WiFi disconnects I'm completely dead until I get closer to town.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I got another unsolicited text from Verizon last night about an additional $10 discount on my single line plan. Called and got it applied, so now I am getting $20 off. I assume its related to me buying my phone outright from Google. I'm suspicious of generosity coming from a wireless provider, but I'll take it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bandire posted:

I got another unsolicited text from Verizon last night about an additional $10 discount on my single line plan. Called and got it applied, so now I am getting $20 off. I assume its related to me buying my phone outright from Google. I'm suspicious of generosity coming from a wireless provider, but I'll take it.

Verizon has been bleeding consumer accounts so it’s then trying to keep you from leaving.

That said, yeah def don’t trust your wireless carrier. Lol.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

It lasts for 30 days from whatever day you add it.
I know I’ve asked a couple of questions lately then disappeared for a few days, so I want to say thanks, Duckman, I appreciate the help.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I know I’ve asked a couple of questions lately then disappeared for a few days, so I want to say thanks, Duckman, I appreciate the help.

Cheers bro.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Duckman2008 is the most helpful goon on this forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

schreibs posted:

Duckman2008 is the most helpful goon on this forums