Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SimonChris posted:

Slightly off-topic perhaps, but I highly recommend playing Call of the Sea, in which the protagonist is consistently delighted to discover eldritch mysteries beyond the ken of man. I am turning into a fish person who can breathe underwater? This rules!

Yeah, that game was a really good time. Takes the trappings of cosmic horror and instead turns it into cosmic amazement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

SimonChris posted:

Slightly off-topic perhaps, but I highly recommend playing Call of the Sea, in which the protagonist is consistently delighted to discover eldritch mysteries beyond the ken of man. I am turning into a fish person who can breathe underwater? This rules!

I mean, that's also the ending of "The Shadow Over Innsmouth".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the northman

that intro w the whispering echo is 100% in reference to the 1980s danish anime (animæ), check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO7Iq7BebxA

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SimonChris posted:

The ost is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFzdIaBnckg

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I saw the title, made a joke in my head, and then clicked play.

Imagine my joy at discovering my joke was right.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

rydiafan posted:

I saw the title, made a joke in my head, and then clicked play.

Imagine my joy at discovering my joke was right.

Haha I kind of passed it over but made the same joke. This made me give a listen and I'm glad I did.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's a whole rear end musical

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Shoggoth_on_the_Roof

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just finished a big rewatch of Breaking Bad and then El Camino recently and noticed this in El Camino:

Todd made a custom snow globe of him and Lydia:

And then only after looking for that image online did I also find out they made a TY video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5hU56vJewo

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
No really 'subtle', but I've been watching The Expanse and it has one of my favourite little background interactions/gags.

https://youtu.be/8OpBaxiDWrg

Bobbie just going goblin mode on the hors d'oeuvres while Tense Political poo poo is happening in the foreground is frankly delightful.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

there's a scene in the martian where matt damon is super hungry and has a long beard, the subtle part is leonardo dicaprio does a cameo for that scene

for comparison, this is from the revenant:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My father refused to watch the Departed because he couldn’t tell Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio apart.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My father refused to watch the Departed because he couldn’t tell Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio apart.

I remember the thread for this way back when was FULL of posters who had this problem. It was peak goon face-blindness. Straight up people who didn't even know they were two different characters.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I had a similar issue with American Assassin. Basically it's this guy:

going up against this guy:

They don't really look identical, but still close enough to really just sort of blur together into a generic dark haired bestubbled protagonist blob that becomes difficult to tell apart when they're not standing next toe each other. Doubly so since both their costumes trended towards the same kind of dark, nondescript clothing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Holy poo poo my mom said the same thing

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got around to watching Alice in Borderland and I like how it makes fun of the usual types of ending twists by having a primary villain claim it's all of them but be lying to mess with the main character for fun. I also didn't mind the ending that it went with, that it was a shared near-death experience that hundreds of people had in the last minute of their lives after a meteor flattened that part of tokyo, and that while they forgot the events, they at least remembered knowing each other, and the lessons that they learned so will go forth to recreate those connections for real, and become better versions of themselves.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo my mom said the same thing

that was the joke i was making yea. apparently your parents are classic goons. i never realized they could look similar until i saw the above scene from idk catch me if you can.

so there's a tip: leo likes to get long haired and cough deeply in pretty much all his movies, but matt damon only does in one movie (rounders)

also extra pro tip: i always ask my sidepartners in the cinema "is this the same guy?" regardless of face or body or clothes or hair, its how you can tell im not racist

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 14:13 on Feb 11, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

if nothing else, just internalize this and you will never make the mistake again:
leonardo dicaprio is kiki
matt damon is bouba

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Breetai posted:

No really 'subtle', but I've been watching The Expanse and it has one of my favourite little background interactions/gags.

Bobbie just going goblin mode on the hors d'oeuvres while Tense Political poo poo is happening in the foreground is frankly delightful.

What season is this from? I'm still putting off watching the last season and I'm not about to risk spoiling myself on anything now.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cat Hatter posted:

What season is this from? I'm still putting off watching the last season and I'm not about to risk spoiling myself on anything now.

1 or 2, you're fine watching it. It's a very short clip with no plot centric dialogue at all anyway.

Each time it cuts to her she's more enthusiastic, it's great

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It never occurred to me that Matt Daemon and Leo DiCaprio look alike. Which I think makes sense since they don't.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

credburn posted:

It never occurred to me that Matt Daemon and Leo DiCaprio look alike. Which I think makes sense since they don't.

Honestly they don't usually but for some reason in that film they do happen to look more like each other than usual.

Like imagine these two guys dressed similar and running around shooting each other.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Yeah Leo went a bit darker with his hair for The Departed, but I think that's why they made Matt Damon constantly be super clean-shaven and Leo a bit stubbly

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Breetai posted:

1 or 2, you're fine watching it. It's a very short clip with no plot centric dialogue at all anyway.

Each time it cuts to her she's more enthusiastic, it's great

K. Can't be too careful. I already got burned years ago by someone asking a specific question about nuclear bombardment in a way that I already knew how the operation went once they started setting it up.

Or I could just watch things as they are released like we all used to...

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Cat Hatter posted:

K. Can't be too careful. I already got burned years ago by someone asking a specific question about nuclear bombardment in a way that I already knew how the operation went once they started setting it up.

Or I could just watch things as they are released like we all used to...
Season 2 Episode 12 "The Monster and the Rocket", in case you have not seen it yet and want to avoid further spoilers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Annabel Pee posted:

Honestly they don't usually but for some reason in that film they do happen to look more like each other than usual.

Like imagine these two guys dressed similar and running around shooting each other.

did you photoshop them to make them more similar?

they never looked so alike before in my life

does matt/leo blindness come with age?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Carthag Tuek posted:

I mean when I saw the movie after renting it from a video store back in the day I thought their similarity was going to come up as a plot element, but no.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Feb 11, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I can completely and totally tell the difference and have never been confused but maybe that's because I'm a white guy with short brown hair who's probably the same height. :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also both have the same cop haircut which I guess doesn't help some people.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Carthag Tuek posted:

Reminds me of browsing youtube and coming across clips that were like "Elijah Wood gets mistaken for Daniel Radcliffe" and i'm like, how in the what could anyone ever mix up these two people, they're nothing alike

and then i saw this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oN_T63uXXg

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There's also Timothy Olyphant and Josh Duhamel, with the former's mother getting the two mistaken.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Breetai posted:

Big sesame cake vibes going on in this clip.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Carl Weathers and Billy Dee Williams don't look all that similar, but they got confused for each other so often (because of racism) that they made a terrible movie where that was a plot point

They don't even look alike on the poster

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like both those actors and have never heard of the movie. Is it any good?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

marshmallow creep posted:

I like both those actors and have never heard of the movie. Is it any good?

You already know the answer.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just take my tactic - know that it has a poor reception, but make your own judgement. There may be bits you like, there may not be, but either way, it's a bit of an adventure.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Breetai posted:

Similarly, in Travellers, timetravellers are coming back from an unspecifiedly terrible future, and although its never actually discussed, the food there is terrible and everyone goes wild for 21st Century food. There's one amazingly traumatic episode that's kind of a groundhog day thing with a string of travellers all attempting to redo the same 17 minutes to get the desired outcome before dying horribly, and every single of them finds a ham sandwich on the seat of a car and absolutely goes to town on it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Torquemada posted:

You already know the answer.

:wrong: wait sorry i mixed it up with another movie that doesnt really look similar. it does make a real stew baby

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I lost a bet once and had to buy dinner for two of my friends because I was 100% confident that Michael Cera starred in The Social Network. :negative:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Zombieland, which was a major breakout role for Jesse Eisenberg, was work for Michael Cera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I've always thought Michael Cera looked a lot like Jesse Eisenberg. Also, I always though that guy who played Ross on Friends looks a lot like Dylan McDermott. Also had this weird association with Chuck Norris / Don Johnson, Aaron Eckhart / Thomas Jane...