Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm looking for bluetooth headphones that would be comfortable to fall asleep with.

Would something like Sennheiser CX True Wireless be good for this? I'm worried it's gonna stick out.
Can I get something cheaper considering I'm just gonna be listening to podcasts and such?
Are there headphones specifically designed for this purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Assuming you're not trying to block outside sounds, I like my Aeropex bone conduction earphones for listening while lying down. It's just two little pads that go in front of your ears. I don't wear them to sleep but I have fallen asleep while wearing them.

They're pretty meh for music (although better than you would think) but my go-to for podcasts and videos when I can't have something on or in my ears.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Vic posted:

I'm looking for bluetooth headphones that would be comfortable to fall asleep with.

Would something like Sennheiser CX True Wireless be good for this? I'm worried it's gonna stick out.
Can I get something cheaper considering I'm just gonna be listening to podcasts and such?
Are there headphones specifically designed for this purpose?

If it's within your budget: https://www.soundbysweden.com/en/product/nero-tx-pro/ , they don't stick out my ears when I sleep.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I've bought the the Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X for almost a year now I think and I've been loving it. But I'm getting itchy to get more tech.

I'm not familiar with audiophile terminology or ratings, and I only own a few pieces of equipment (Moondrop Chu, ATH M50x, Sony XM3) but I enjoy the different sound signatures they all have. For a big change, I realise I should just get a new headphones, with the one that catches my eye the most being the Hifiman XS...but that's expensive.

My question is, will an amp (or I guess a dac/amp) be worthwhile for me, if I paired it with the DT 900 Pro X (bonus if it also helps with the other items)?
I realise that I don't need an amp to drive any of the items I have currently. And I also realise that sometimes the difference is marginal depending on the amp/headphone combo. But I cannot figure out what benefit, that the DT 900 Pro X gets with an amp. I have heard that in general headphones can benefit from an amp if they scale well, but I can't figure out if the DT 900 Pro X is one of those, and also, I'm not sure what scaling well means. It can be louder, I assume...but will there be more detail? Will I be able to pick out more notes/instruments that were muddled before maybe? Will the soundstage be bigger?

Use case is mostly to listen to media on my PC, if that makes a difference. Music and movies, and sometimes games too.

Now that I've typed the above out, I guess what I'm really asking is:
A) Will getting an amp now improve my listening experience with the DT 900 Pro X significantly? (I realise significantly might be hard to qualify)
B) Or is there not enough benefits for an amp, it's better to just save more money and get another headphones (which may possibly require an amp down the line depending on which model I get)?

I apologise for the age-old question, but I feel like I still struggle to understand what benefits an amp/dac does, if any. I have asked my more audio savvy friends before, I think I've asked online (maybe even here? I forget), I've read articles and seen videos, and every time I'm like...I'm still not sure...what I get for it. But at the same time, I feel like every month or two I meet someone who's like "Man, you should get an amp, makes it so much better" and this whole feeling of should I or should I not starts again.

Asking now because I have some extra money saved up and I could probably afford a value amp like the Ifi Zen or a Fiio maybe? But definitely not even close to like a Hifiman XS or any other headphone that might give a different listening experience.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Artelier posted:

do i need an amp

no

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Absolutely not. An amp is for when your headphones aren't properly powered. If you can hear them at a level you like, you don't need an amp.

A DAC is for when your computer or whatever can't decode high res files you listen to, or there's audible noise generated by the computer in the signal chain

It is almost certain you need neither

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 7, 2023

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

THAT WAS THE MOST STRAIGHTFORWARD ANSWER I'VE EVER BEEN GIVEN THANK YOU

Time to wishlist some headphones then!!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Trip reports:

The HD560S arrived this morning and so far I am impressed. Definitely a big step up and pretty much everything I wanted except in the comfort department, which still isn't bad. The clamping force is definitely there but it fades into the background after a minute or so and I don't notice it after that. My ears do get noticeably warmer than in the SHP9500s but still way less than in any sort of closed headphone. e: the included cable is poo poo though, like shamefully so. and ridiculously long too

Been listening to the Chus a lot too, and apparently all along I just needed a decent eartip. 10mm-ish seems about right for me and most "small" size tips seem to fall in the 11mm range, which is why it's probably never worked for me before. They honestly sound great for casual listening with EQ (a bit bright without), but the cable exists in a state of perpetual entanglement. It's also hard to get eartips on and off without putting strain or pressure on the cable where it enters the shell. That's probably not great for longevity.

So I also ordered two more sets of IEMs, Etymotic ER2SEs and Dunu Kimas. I need a nice "closed" option or two and I've more or less decided to part with my DT770s (I got the 250 ohm version way back when which was dumb, also they're not great for fun listening). Depending on what I think of the Etymotics I may send the Kimas back unopened. Or I may keep them because having a Good One with the Chus as a backup/beater pair and the Etymotics for monitoring and super detailed listening (like trying to pick apart a piano part or harmony line) will cover all my bases and kill the window shopping bug until Black Friday at least.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Artelier posted:

THAT WAS THE MOST STRAIGHTFORWARD ANSWER I'VE EVER BEEN GIVEN THANK YOU

Time to wishlist some headphones then!!

No worries, hope you have fun!

Consider spending some of that money on indie artists you enjoy via bandcamp or even just saving for something else cool— audio is way better than it ever has been, and even though it's never perfect spending more is almost always diminishing returns

Either that or just treat your room with rockwool and make the jump to speakers haha

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Discussion Quorum posted:

Trip reports:

The HD560S arrived this morning and so far I am impressed. Definitely a big step up and pretty much everything I wanted except in the comfort department, which still isn't bad. The clamping force is definitely there but it fades into the background after a minute or so and I don't notice it after that. My ears do get noticeably warmer than in the SHP9500s but still way less than in any sort of closed headphone. e: the included cable is poo poo though, like shamefully so. and ridiculously long too

Been listening to the Chus a lot too, and apparently all along I just needed a decent eartip. 10mm-ish seems about right for me and most "small" size tips seem to fall in the 11mm range, which is why it's probably never worked for me before. They honestly sound great for casual listening with EQ (a bit bright without), but the cable exists in a state of perpetual entanglement. It's also hard to get eartips on and off without putting strain or pressure on the cable where it enters the shell. That's probably not great for longevity.

So I also ordered two more sets of IEMs, Etymotic ER2SEs and Dunu Kimas. I need a nice "closed" option or two and I've more or less decided to part with my DT770s (I got the 250 ohm version way back when which was dumb, also they're not great for fun listening). Depending on what I think of the Etymotics I may send the Kimas back unopened. Or I may keep them because having a Good One with the Chus as a backup/beater pair and the Etymotics for monitoring and super detailed listening (like trying to pick apart a piano part or harmony line) will cover all my bases and kill the window shopping bug until Black Friday at least.

The clamp of the HD560S loosens up with wear-in. I thought mine were tight when I first got them, and now the clamp feels just right. You can speed this process up by putting them over a stack of books, or a yoga block for a week.

The Etymotic ER2 series are fantastic if you can tolerate the fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KwXEqe6Gq4

My ER2XRs + Qudelix-5K are my go-to plane listening setup. The Etymotics offer similar amounts of isolation to the Sony over-ear headphones with active noise cancelling in a much smaller package, and they sound much better than the Sonys. I pair them with the Qudelix for Bluetooth with my phone, and the Qudelix has better battery life than my AirPods Pro. The only bad thing I have to say is that the stock Etymotic cables are absolute trash that pick up the slightest movements; I have a Lunashop cable on order to see if that's any better.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Quick reactions on the 2 new IEMs. Music only so far, no piano.

Kima - sounds great, cleaner and more detail than the Chu. Maybe a bit more V shaped than I like but that appears to be par for the course at this price point (Aria, Olina/Olina SE, Titan S, S12...), and it at least errs on the warmer side than some of the others. They seem a touch less comfortable than the Chus. Cable is very nice though. Among the included ear tips are a cylindrical set with a very small OD, I tried these out don't find them very comfortable. Still working out the right eartips to use - so far the Spring tips are the most comfortable but I might like the sound of the Final E a little better. Could end up being daily drivers.

ER2SE - definitely a flatter sound, which is what I wanted for their intended purpose. Haven't done a detailed listen yet. Realizing I will probably be limited as to when I can wear these. Taking them on and off is a production and the isolation is so strong that they'll be limited to when I'm home alone, or the rare moments where "don't bother Dad" is in force. Probably a keeper if I can get the fit worked out but will be pretty situational. If not, looking at eBay prices I'll only be out $10-$15 vs what I paid.

Godzilla07 posted:

The only bad thing I have to say is that the stock Etymotic cables are absolute trash that pick up the slightest movements

You weren't kidding, I feel like I can hear every atom it comes into contact with

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After 4 months or so with XM4s they are really like the greatest headphones ever. The fact that they wont work with a Playstation feels almost inexcusable to me though. It's such a bummer having to use my Turtle beaches instead of the XM4s on it since the PS pretty much accounts for 50% or my headphone usage and the XM4s are way more comfortable and have great noise cancelling.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

After 4 months or so with XM4s they are really like the greatest headphones ever. The fact that they wont work with a Playstation feels almost inexcusable to me though. It's such a bummer having to use my Turtle beaches instead of the XM4s on it since the PS pretty much accounts for 50% or my headphone usage and the XM4s are way more comfortable and have great noise cancelling.
Maybe you can use them in wired mode? We had a false fire alarm going off for like 4 hours once and I plugged my Elegias into my controller, sounded surprisingly ok.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Discussion Quorum posted:

You weren't kidding, I feel like I can hear every atom it comes into contact with

Wear Etymotics with the cable wrapped up behind your ear, this damps all cable vibrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Well I got a pair of LCD-X to see if I could tell the difference between them and the LCD-2 classic, and it was quite noticeable. Now I have a Fiio K7 (trying it out over my old Xonar Essence STX) and a balanced cable and I'm done spending money on headphones, but I'm pleased with how everything sounds.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

In the price range and functionality of the AKG K371 M, has anything changed recently that knocks it off the throne? It just increased in price over here, and as it very rarely goes on sale, I'm considering just biting the bullet and ordering it.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

If the k361 is available it's basically the same in every way except the frame material

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Ah, interesting. I read some comments claiming the 7 had better sound, but I should learn not to listen to vibes based opinions from wild-internet audio nerds.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

The dirty little secret is that lots of manufacturers use the same parts where they can, and AKG just doesn't move as many units as they used to in the face of AirPods. It's a smart business decision even if it didn't always feel the greatest. I will say though you may be happy with the weight savings, because the K371 is a bit hefty!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Well alright then, ordered. Thanks!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

K361 and K371 do sound different, which you prefer is subjective and the difference isn’t huge but they are not the same

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Well, how would you describe that difference?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

"minor at best"

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Huh, the K371s are now $175 MSRP. They were regularly on sale for $110 last year, which is the price I bought mine at last summer. It doesn't quite feel like it's worth $175 due to the rickety build and middling comfort, even if the tuning is great.

My Lunashop Etymotic cable came in after about 3 weeks. It cut downs on the microphonics enough to where it's not an annoyance like it is with the stock cable. You can re-use the clip from the stock cable, which I recommend.

I think this cable is what people want when they complain about the Blessing 2 cable? The Lunashop cable is heavier, and the 3.5mm connector is sturdier. But I prefer the lighter weight of the B2 cable. My biggest complaint with the Lunashop cable is that the L and R indicators are barely visible, but this can be solved with some nail polish. Not a bad way to spend :20bux:

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
lol at every headphones except for the newest crapple AirPods pros

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Which one of these do you think will give me the least ammount of microphonics?
https://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=7400
https://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=8061

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

ok but the K361 is a good buy yes? you're all suddenly making me doubt.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yes, pay no attention to the guy posting a Head-fi thread as proof the K371 is significantly better.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

njsykora posted:

Yes, pay no attention to the guy posting a Head-fi thread as proof the K371 is significantly better.

You're misreading. The frequency response posted in that thread shows them as extremely similar.

Black Griffon posted:

ok but the K361 is a good buy yes? you're all suddenly making me doubt.

It is one of the best values for that kind of headphones out there! You'll be happy

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 22, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Mr. Mercury posted:

It is one of the best values for that kind of headphones out there! You'll be happy

Thank goodness. Thank you!

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I was recommended the JVC HA-RX900 by goons over ten years ago and It's been great. It's falling apart now and my Hyper X gamer headset just isn't comfortable. Is the K361 a good replacement or should I just buy another pair of the JVC headphones? I use it for music, youtube and games.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Social Animal posted:

I was recommended the JVC HA-RX900 by goons over ten years ago and It's been great. It's falling apart now and my Hyper X gamer headset just isn't comfortable. Is the K361 a good replacement or should I just buy another pair of the JVC headphones? I use it for music, youtube and games.

I would get a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro for this use case. While the K361 has better tuning, the DT770 Pro is much better built, is more comfortable, and has a wider soundstage which will be better for games. Get the 32 ohm version, and throw in a $10 Apple USB-C headphone adapter, which will be a significant improvement over whatever onboard audio your PC has. You won't have to think about headphones for a long, long time with this setup.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
As long as you can deal with the treble.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They're also like twice as much and still closed back so "wider soundstage" is hilarious.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Forgive my ignorance but why 32 ohm over 80?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Social Animal posted:

Forgive my ignorance but why 32 ohm over 80?

Easier to drive in general. If the games in question are console, then you'll have no trouble having your controller's headphone jack powering the headphones and it's more or less the same story with the USB C adapter mentioned as well.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Easier to drive in general. If the games in question are console, then you'll have no trouble having your controller's headphone jack powering the headphones and it's more or less the same story with the USB C adapter mentioned as well.

Thanks for explaining it, that makes sense.

Godzilla07 posted:

I would get a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro for this use case. While the K361 has better tuning, the DT770 Pro is much better built, is more comfortable, and has a wider soundstage which will be better for games. Get the 32 ohm version, and throw in a $10 Apple USB-C headphone adapter, which will be a significant improvement over whatever onboard audio your PC has. You won't have to think about headphones for a long, long time with this setup.

Appreciate the suggestion I'll go with this and make sure to grab one of those Apple dongles. I'll report back when I have the goods.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

If you want to try an open back the 990 is a solid option, the treble can be a bit much, but can be EQd down if you can't do it, much wider sound stage, I love mine. They don't get any use since I got an LCD-X however.

Edit: To note I don't find the treble spike an issue at all, just a common complaint I've seen people voice.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 28, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Please don't recommend headphones with the "you can EQ the treble spike" caveat because A: it's not remotely that simple and B: just buy headphones that don't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Yeah, even as someone who really appreciates EQ, I would not recommend EQ to someone that came into the thread for the first time in like a decade.

Besides, if you're gonna go with an open back at that price point, the Sennheiser HD560S is a better option. I'd argue the HD560S is the best headphone under $275 unless Drop has put the HD6XX on super sale at under-$200 (they're now roughly $220-240 new.)