Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ilmucche posted:

I was in the states and saw a manual operated version of one of these. The person yanked down on a handle like a slot machine and it loving ruled

in-n-out has them in all their restaurants and you can see the teenagers cranking em out in the back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

What I’m hearing is, “throwing a bunch of wolves into the mix fixes everything,” got it, thanks.

Inside of you there are two wolves. Fish & Game will be introducing more until you have a stable and genetically diverse population inside you.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

in-n-out has them in all their restaurants and you can see the teenagers cranking em out in the back

Hopefully you're still talking about potatoes here.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cthulu Carl posted:

Inside of you there are two wolves. Fish & Game will be introducing more until you have a stable and genetically diverse population inside you.

It's true, if you eat wolves with your granola your gut microbiome becomes insanely healthy

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
wrong thread

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Koivunen posted:

This is what I meant. It is a real life situation. The huge building I’m talking about is going to be a hospital. It’s winter here, and animals have been making homes inside the construction site since fall. I’m not directly involved, but a friend who is a construction worker showed pictures of dead animals and layers of poop, they even shared a picture of like ten dead birds hanging from a chain titled “today’s kill.” They implied that they don’t clean up animal waste or remains before sealing it in.

I think this is disgusting, and I’m really bothered by it, but having zero experience with large building construction, I didn’t know if dealing with wildlife was routine or not. Also I don’t know what me, as an everyday citizen, could do about it.

See I would expect sealed up poop buckets but drat.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
brb going to fix the local police station

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sagebrush posted:

It might have been in an in-n-out. A burger place at least

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's true, if you eat wolves with your granola your gut microbiome becomes insanely healthy

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ilmucche posted:

I was in the states and saw a manual operated version of one of these. The person yanked down on a handle like a slot machine and it loving ruled

Yeah I was gonna say, why would you make a machine to automate what is definitely the easiest, fastest (and most fun) part about food prep? Every kitchen I've ever worked in had a manual fry punch attached to the wall and I used to love using it; I could go through a 50lb box of russets in under two minutes. If the blades are sharp enough and you get the rhythm right, you don't even have to push at all, it's more of a downward throwing motion.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Wolves. Perfect for every occasion.

If nothing else, it would probably fix the animal infestation at that goon's hospital.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Ya know people say that about cows but I think it's just that factory farms break any living things spirit so completely that it's what people think of when they think of a cow's natural state of being.

No, they really are that dumb. They're stupid as gently caress until a tiny gap in the fence is found and then they all become Steve loving McQueen. So glad I don't have to deal with that poo poo anymore.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

It is an extremely simplified version of the truth, but generally speaking, yes, when you reintroduce a species as consequential as the apex predator back into an ecosystem the cascading effects of that will appear in the major ecosystem functions like the aquatic community. However, the Yellowstone River watershed is managed, the ungulate populations are managed, the vegetation is managed, so it's not as if they dropped off a bunch of wolves and sat back until they saw something change. Wolves were just a part of the whole biotic community management and because of a well established understanding of food webs, nitrogen cycling, carbon cycling, and other processes, the NPS and whoever else is part of the monitoring effort can say for instance, "wolves are eating some elk and keeping others away from this area, so the riparian plant community is rebounding, so the banks are being stabilized and the canopy is reestablishing, so the bug community is shifting toward a more even state, so the cutthroat trout recruitment is better this year."

also tons of animals coming to get scraps stuff from wolf kills.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bad Munki posted:

What I’m hearing is, “throwing a bunch of wolves into the mix fixes everything,” got it, thanks.
Really? Cause my takeaway was that trout recruiting is cutthroat, which is both surprising and perplexing.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

also tons of animals coming to get scraps stuff from wolf kills.

For sure. There's so many different paths of trophic interactions between species, it's wild as hell. The buzzfeed level of reporting on stuff like this does highlight some cool things in a super distilled way but the finer scale of what's going on in situ is so amazing.

Wolves are good for ravens and magpies, they've got their own effect on other birds and such and on and on down.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rotsxmpGDA1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rosso4aqgq1qigfjt.mp4

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Preoptopus posted:

My dad has been in a multi year war with woodpeckers building nests in the stucco exterior of my parents house leaving a bunch of damage. After trying for years with many meathods of determent, He has resorted to a super accurate high power bb gun with a scope. Yet every spring more keep comming.

Every woodpecker is protected species in the USA. 5k fine if you kill or hassle them. Get a professional to help you deal with them. If it is bad enough, the DNR can approve certain measures to protect your property.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I solved the problem with concrete siding.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I feel like you can see the dull sheen of the black ice as you approach.

No loving way. I was looking the whole time and unless you have magic eyes there is no way. Not aragostas fault

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Well done 47, they won't find him there.

Target killed, accidental kill, body hidden, +65xp.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/X5M5dbx.mp4

Two guys, one nut

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Well done 47, they won't find him there.

Target killed, accidental kill, body hidden, +65xp.

Worth noting that is a truck of traffic fiscals (City of Macaé).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Invasive species biologist here.

Get this one before it drives native biologists to extinction!!! :murder:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Wow, those strap wrench things from infomcercials years ago are actually pretty handy!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Oh, that's why they call them ratchet straps.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Koivunen posted:

This is what I meant. It is a real life situation. The huge building I’m talking about is going to be a hospital. It’s winter here, and animals have been making homes inside the construction site since fall. I’m not directly involved, but a friend who is a construction worker showed pictures of dead animals and layers of poop, they even shared a picture of like ten dead birds hanging from a chain titled “today’s kill.” They implied that they don’t clean up animal waste or remains before sealing it in.

I think this is disgusting, and I’m really bothered by it, but having zero experience with large building construction, I didn’t know if dealing with wildlife was routine or not. Also I don’t know what me, as an everyday citizen, could do about it.

Animals are as common in construction sites as anywhere in a city or area around the site. The problem is common, the solutions depend on who's in charge of dealing with the problem. Your case sounds a bit much.

For new construction the worst thing rotting in a wall I've had to pull out turned out to be a can of Monster because loving drywallers lol. (The poo poo buckets don't fit in a 6" wall.)

One big building had wasps living in a wall before occupancy but never did find the source. Just dozens of dead wasps littering the floor every morning for weeks. The general contractor just had labourers sweep them up till we were out of there.

I once crushed a mouse under a 4x8 finish wood panel while restacking it, like a pancake. It ran between two sheets in seconds, like it wanted to die. It made a little stain but those panels were custom ordered and we weren't getting more so it still went on the wall. Could hardly see the stain.

However - in a hospital - I'm surprised. My coworkers who have done hospital projects say they're usually crazy about cleanliness during construction here, new builds or retrofits. Negative air, dust extraction, etc. I'd expect the hospital to be on the general contractor to keep it clean. As a private citizen your best best is to tell your friend to tell his foreman to raise the issue with the general contractor. But maybe things work differently in your area, so what to do really depends.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Sometimes animals do get properly dealt with, we had evidence of raccoons at one site and they set up live traps for them.

I got to be the first to find out they worked, coming up a stairwell half asleep early in the morning going around the corner then this fucker in a box just screaming at me in the dark, way too much for 6am lol.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sagebrush posted:

He is saying that he assumes wild animals start nesting in the frames of buildings under construction, and he asks if the construction workers have to kill these animals before the building can be completed, and if the walls of new buildings are full of dead animals as a result.

I think the initial assumption is flawed, and animals probably do not choose to nest in a noisy construction site in the first place.

They absolutely do. Workers leave behind food trash all the time and that attracts rodents and birds. Most sites are only occupied during the day and sparsely on weekends, so there's a lot of time for critters.

On the bigger projects I was on we hired rodent control people to sort up stations, and dumped borax in the walls before we closed them as a pest control.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

So, in this box you've got your futuristic contractor helper robot. And in this shipping container, you've got all the different sized crates, planks and gym mats you'll need if you want him to do anything. Enjoy!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/1TPbPOR.mp4

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

The new Robo Sphincter is looking good. The general dynamics bots will be making GBS threads on my lawn in no time.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

https://i.imgur.com/LuMhzXx.mp4
No one died

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/mI6ZNGH.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man, bridges take so much money and effort. Kinda makes you wonder if we really need them after all

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

https://i.imgur.com/YrE2wqe.mp4

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i would not trust that. from the schadenfreude thread today:
https://v.redd.it/rv6hxr9b9gda1/DASH_1080.mp4

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

That's powered by only 2 hp*?!

*human power

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wish to register my displeasure at the lack of giant comedy wrench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Uthor posted:

That's powered by only 2 hp*?!

*human power

What can i say, they've got a lot of potential