Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if you're borg you're borging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

davidspackage posted:

In Voyager's dubious defense, I think any other ST show would've had the crew accept Tuvix, only for him to suffer from some cellular decay or sacrifice himself in such a way that the only way to save his tortellini suited rear end was to split him up again.

It’s this. There’s no scenario where any Trek show isn’t getting rid of Tuvix by the end of the episode so he’d have just been technobabbled apart due to cellular decay and expected you to care that Tuvix was dying or they would have saved the other two plus Tuvix and then just dropped him off at the next starbase, which are all boring options. It’s way more memorable and entertaining to have him beg the crew for his life and have Janeway execute him, which is why Voyager was right to do it. As not great a show as Voyager was I do love how it was willing to sometimes do bonkers poo poo because they could just reset by the next episode. Every Trek show did a boring rear end “new technology goes wrong episode” but only Voyager was able to do something like ending that episode with two of the main cast turned into giant salamanders who gently caress and abandon their children and then are like “crazy week, huh?”. Even TNG which did some bonkers poo poo would have been too boring to have the salamanders have babies.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

It’s this. There’s no scenario where any Trek show isn’t getting rid of Tuvix by the end of the episode so he’d have just been technobabbled apart due to cellular decay and expected you to care that Tuvix was dying or they would have saved the other two plus Tuvix and then just dropped him off at the next starbase, which are all boring options. It’s way more memorable and entertaining to have him beg the crew for his life and have Janeway execute him, which is why Voyager was right to do it. As not great a show as Voyager was I do love how it was willing to sometimes do bonkers poo poo because they could just reset by the next episode. Every Trek show did a boring rear end “new technology goes wrong episode” but only Voyager was able to do something like ending that episode with two of the main cast turned into giant salamanders who gently caress and abandon their children and then are like “crazy week, huh?”. Even TNG which did some bonkers poo poo would have been too boring to have the salamanders have babies.

TNG had the whole evolutionary crazy thing happen where barcly turned into a god damned spider and the Worf shot acid at Crusher's face.

And all that episode did was foreshadow worf and troi hooking up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the borg are combinations of computers and biological brains so stuff that works to disable evil ai probably wouldn't work on them. but whatever, it's still funny that two people whipped up a way to wipe out the borg in a couple days.

Icheb's people also figured out a way to kill entire cubes, it just required them to sacrifice a child to do it.

Well, it didn't need to be a child. They probably could have let the infected kids live full lives and then once your back goes out you voluntarily sacrifice yourself to assimilation. But people just love sacrificing children.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*makes evanescence AMVs to scenes from Photons Be Free*

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
How much of host memory does a symbiote hold?

For some reason the Tuvix discussion has lead me to start thinking, "Could they have pulled a stunt where they cloned Jadzia? Then take the symbiote out of Ezri and insert it into Jadzia, where it would instantly download all of Jadzia's memories back into her blank cloned brain, but the loss of the symbiote would kill Ezri in the process?"

naem
May 29, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

How much of host memory does a symbiote hold?

For some reason the Tuvix discussion has lead me to start thinking, "Could they have pulled a stunt where they cloned Jadzia? Then take the symbiote out of Ezri and insert it into Jadzia, where it would instantly download all of Jadzia's memories back into her blank cloned brain, but the loss of the symbiote would kill Ezri in the process?"

just clone Ezri too

also what if the symbiotes are like worms and they regenerate

put a little snippet into the Ezri clone bing bam boom, two wives for Wharf

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Jadzia's brain gets written with the memories of Joran. Worf is quite happy with the turn of events.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The symbiote isn't just a storage device, it's its own individual entity, and they often spend time living in the symbiote pools between hosts and taking via electrochemical communication.

The personality of the symbiote and the personality of the host merge into a single being during its hostage and the two beings become one, so that when separated again the experiences they have had together and the thoughts they had while merged are a permanent part of the symbiote.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Finished my first DS9 watch. Amazing show but I don’t like how it ended all that much.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Benny Russel on a movie set giving a scifi script to the network executives?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Riker walks into ops and says "Computer, end program."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
A group of female alien women stand around Spocks brain looking looking at it curiously. One turns to the other "I wonder what it's been dreaming about all this time".

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I was looking at the Trill symboite page because I wondered how long the symboites lived. It says over 550 years.

I'm now wondering what happens to the host if the symboite starts dying of something other than acute trama. Do the hosts die too, or are the hosts jumped to the top of the joining list?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Oops all worms

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Pretty stoked that Barclay came back and he’s just as weird as ever. The gooniest officer in all of Starfleet.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fishstick posted:

I totally forgot he's like an antagonist for SG:Atlantis, and he looks less than trip than the other fake Trips.

For reference, Sandman's corinthian (not Trip)

lol he looks like night man

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

MikeJF posted:

The symbiote isn't just a storage device, it's its own individual entity, and they often spend time living in the symbiote pools between hosts and taking via electrochemical communication.

The personality of the symbiote and the personality of the host merge into a single being during its hostage and the two beings become one, so that when separated again the experiences they have had together and the thoughts they had while merged are a permanent part of the symbiote.

It seems that this and the episode where the DS9 crew are psychic hosts for a few days for previous hosts could imply it's POSSIBLE cloning could do the job of bringing back Jadzia in Trek tech.

Everyone knew Jadzia as Jadzia Dax, anyway, so she might just be missing any of her life experiences prior to joining. Downside, though, is that she totally loses all her accumulated pre-Jadzia Dax skills and memories and is reliant on eveyrthing she can access of previous host memories for the purpose of doing anything useful on the crew.

It's fanfic as hell, but I could have seen that as a story arc thing for the character IF the series ended up going on to SG-1 levels of extra seasons and they wanted to bring her back. It's a Spock thing from Trek3/4, sure, but you could probably spin a few storylines of blank slate Jadzia who socially reconnects like almost nothing to the DS9 crew, but pre-DS9 friends and family and history are complete strangers and mysteries for her to solve. Find a way to keep Ezri around as a guest-starring counselor (surviving the removal of worm) to help her, it seems like a think 90s sci-fi Trek could have done.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 22, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Had a weird dream where I saw Colm Meaney at a Mega Church event and was really disappointed that he was there.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Noam Chomsky posted:

Finished my first DS9 watch. Amazing show but I don’t like how it ended all that much.

Yeah it’s a lot of choices that I wouldn’t have made for sure. Damar dying was lovely. The whole dukat arc is pretty excruciating and I’ve definitely complained about sisko going to prophetland a ton.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It would have been so much more narratively satisfying if Damar was the one who got to kill the last weyoun

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eh, damar's reaction made that scene.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No, no, the last Weyoun was the one Garak killed. Damar was dead by then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScgwXokmpeA

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Had a weird dream where I saw Colm Meaney at a Mega Church event and was really disappointed that he was there.

Plot twist: The Mega Church was founded around a man who suffered for our sins and his own - Miles O'Brien.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dabir posted:

It would have been so much more narratively satisfying if Damar was the one who got to kill the last weyoun

He made the plan which made it possible to kill the last one, even if he didn’t know it, so pretty close.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the neck snap scene is just way more memorable than garak smugly shooting someone. it's garak. that's what he does.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the neck snap scene is just way more memorable than garak smugly shooting someone. it's garak. that's what he does.

If Garak is doing his job right, you won't remember he did anything at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also Garak killing Weyoun immediately after Damar dies is good too since it was suggested for some time in those last episodes that despite his past Garak had turned into a true believer in Damar’s cause. Also Mila.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I’ve definitely complained about sisko going to prophetland a ton.

He says he’s coming back and Benjamin Sisko would never abandon his family so he comes back. He’s not bound by linear time and he wouldn’t miss the birth of his second child so he’s definitely back before then. Anyway, if anyone wants to disagree with me regarding this matter I’d be happy to physically fight them in a venue of my choosing.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Also Garak killing Weyoun immediately after Damar dies is good too since it was suggested for some time in those last episodes that despite his past Garak had turned into a true believer in Damar’s cause. Also Mila.

teamkilling garak fuckin sucks!!!! wish somebody would kick/ban this guy

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Trixie Hardcore posted:

He says he’s coming back and Benjamin Sisko would never abandon his family so he comes back. He’s not bound by linear time and he wouldn’t miss the birth of his second child so he’s definitely back before then. Anyway, if anyone wants to disagree with me regarding this matter I’d be happy to physically fight them in a venue of my choosing.

You are a cowardly p'etaQ if that venue does not include Anbo-Jyutsu, the ultimate evolution of the martial arts.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

teamkilling garak fuckin sucks!!!! wish somebody would kick/ban this guy

PlainNsimpleTaylor69: gg ;)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

holy poo poo im watching some voyager episode where the doctor turns into a serial killer or something

i dont think ive ever seen this one before

he just paralyzed b'elana lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

GolfHole posted:

holy poo poo im watching some voyager episode where the doctor turns into a serial killer or something

i dont think ive ever seen this one before

he just paralyzed b'elana lol

That's a good one and Picardo is especially good in it

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I mean that’s how I feel about the character and how Avery brooks felt about the character but what’s on the screen sucks. The show is good enough that the kind of stinky last episode doesn’t ruin it for me or anything but it tries really hard lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'll be back from time to time,
Just wait here on Deep Space 9

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Hollismason posted:

Picardo is especially good

:colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here I go
Ben sisko
Deep Space 1 less than 1 0
Alpha quadrant
Bajor state
At celestial gate

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Hollismason posted:

That's a good one and Picardo is especially good in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Hell, in The Visitor not even an accident with warp particles and chronotons could keep Sisko father and son apart. :unsmith:

Why couldn't Worf have that kind of family relationship?