Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

PostNouveau posted:

Weatherdammerung 2022: 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Weatherdammerung 2022 II: 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Omnicarus posted:

Weatherdammerung 2020 IV: 2023

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

PostNouveau posted:

Weatherdammerung 2022: 2023

I read this in Homestar Runner's voice saying "it's dot com"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How did I miss the Medicane

https://twitter.com/wxnb_/status/1617109717674823680?s=46&t=DrCaBp4Muz8Cqu9yXFm9dA

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
it was 60 degrees on thursday and now I got 6 inches of snow, YOU CANT EXPLAIN THAT

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

i am harry posted:

don’t ever risk a life

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i blame aeolus

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

you could make a pyramid shaped helmet that would push your upper body away from the tree branch as it falls on you hth

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Moot .1415926535 posted:

many people are saying this

it actually rules for anything outdoorsy

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Space Jam posted:

you could make a pyramid shaped helmet that would push your upper body away from the tree branch as it falls on you hth

plus the oblique angles are great for deflecting AP tank rounds

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/VIM_Media/status/1617950307908218881

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I hate this

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Lobe posted:

I hate this

obviously not a seagull

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

related ground weather just hit https://twitter.com/usgs_quakes/status/1617962700478480385

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Speaking as a dead fish expert, this is bad.

Real hurthling! posted:

obviously not a seagull

Right up until the moment someone decides to use dynamite to clear the windrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CLumsir34

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
So I noticed on twitter that it was snowing inside kyoto station last night.

https://twitter.com/rufuuuuuuuuuuu/status/1617808463710818306?t=KFLhgI9-ZWCAeIJ6HdAVjA&s=19

Turns out Japan cannot actually cope with unprecedented weather events because a bunch of people got stranded on commuter trains for 6 hours or so overnight.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/AdamWinkABC13/status/1617982988205137920

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

slinkimalinki posted:

So I noticed on twitter that it was snowing inside kyoto station last night.

https://twitter.com/rufuuuuuuuuuuu/status/1617808463710818306?t=KFLhgI9-ZWCAeIJ6HdAVjA&s=19

Turns out Japan cannot actually cope with unprecedented weather events because a bunch of people got stranded on commuter trains for 6 hours or so overnight.

Nobody can. That's why they're unprecedented

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
hudson valley hasn't been much below freezing since Christmas lol

the ticks are going to be so bad this year. UGH

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Will sea level rise eat all of the great lakes cities?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Failson posted:

Will sea level rise eat all of the great lakes cities?

no, but lake level rise might! all the great lakes are hundreds of feet above sea level but they're being subject to extreme precipitation events and other climate change fueled things that functionally do the same thing, just for different reasons (no ice shelves)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

that will not be anywhere near as catastrophic though as the great lakes coasts a have already been subject to relatively large swings in lake height so most major infrastructure is not at risk of being swallowed like in miami

edit: also the most concerning area would be lake ontario as the other great lakes have the natural outlet the Niagara river and the falls

WoodrowSkillson has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Jan 26, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that will not be anywhere near as catastrophic though as the great lakes coasts a have already been subject to relatively large swings in lake height so most major infrastructure is not at risk of being swallowed like in miami

Also if the great lakes come up they don't salt-poison your ground water table

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the great lakes problem is being insanely polluted not salty but it's still an issue if the flammable parts of lake erie start spilling into your water table

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

and sea level rise is due to melting glaciers, none of which run into the great lakes, fortunately. so the only way for them to be disrupted is through adverse weather. given their enormous volume that would have to be some pretty loving adverse weather

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WoodrowSkillson posted:

edit: also the most concerning area would be lake ontario as the other great lakes have the natural outlet the Niagara river and the falls

this is a charmingly optimistic perspective considering the recent records in baseline height and erosion extent.

but yeah comparing most infrastructure in the region to places that are just turbofucked like southern Florida and the gulf coast is off base. almost nobody lives around lake superior and... let's be honest Detroit, Cleveland, Erie and Buffalo got way ahead of the damage by doing it to themselves via deindustrialization.

Hooplah posted:

some pretty loving adverse weather

... this is already happening

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the great lakes problem is being insanely polluted not salty but it's still an issue if the flammable parts of lake erie start spilling into your water table

I didn't say it wouldn't regular poison the water table ok

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Gunshow Poophole posted:

hudson valley hasn't been much below freezing since Christmas lol

the ticks are going to be so bad this year. UGH

gently caress, you're right. gently caress! poo poo. poo poo!!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Great Lakes are already dealing with godawful fertilizer runoff that will only get worse as other arable lands become not-arable lands and the breadbasket has to make more bread.

Toledo, on the shallow end of the shallowest lake, already semi-regularly has days where they have to boil water as their treatment systems get overwhelmed by algal blooms feeding off all the washed out fertilizer in the summer.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

this is a charmingly optimistic perspective considering the recent records in baseline height and erosion extent.

but yeah comparing most infrastructure in the region to places that are just turbofucked like southern Florida and the gulf coast is off base. almost nobody lives around lake superior and... let's be honest Detroit, Cleveland, Erie and Buffalo got way ahead of the damage by doing it to themselves via deindustrialization.

... this is already happening

it would be thousands of years before the falls are eroded back even at an accelerated pace. if you mean just general erosion along the coasts then for sure that will happen, we have already been seeing homes built by the water get swamped by record high lake levels in recent years. but Detroit and other major cities were built dealing with the shifting lake levels so it would take a hell of a rise to do it (barring levee construction and the like which would be the response) which would mean dramatically more rainfall in the great lakes basin, and even then it only would truly impact lake ontario and the st marys river the most.

the thousand islands region getting destroyed and all those rich homes washing away would be hilarious though

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

stealie72 posted:

Great Lakes are already dealing with godawful fertilizer runoff that will only get worse as other arable lands become not-arable lands and the breadbasket has to make more bread.

Toledo, on the shallow end of the shallowest lake, already semi-regularly has days where they have to boil water as their treatment systems get overwhelmed by algal blooms feeding off all the washed out fertilizer in the summer.

TBH look on the silver lining, once those arable lands all become non-arable, you can just farm the algae instead! It's just a blessing in disguise, people just have to buck up and change their entire eating habits

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
lol

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/how-lake-mead-water-levels-look-after-weeks-of-heavy-rainfall/ar-AA16vW4M posted:

Since the beginning of December, the reservoir's water levels have steadily increased. As of December 1, the water levels stood at 1,042.97 feet. By January 18, Lake Mead's water levels have risen to 1,045.76 feet.

The lake is now at 28 percent its usual capacity, while during the summer it was only at 27 percent.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hooplah posted:

and sea level rise is due to melting glaciers, none of which run into the great lakes, fortunately. so the only way for them to be disrupted is through adverse weather. given their enormous volume that would have to be some pretty loving adverse weather

Good news,

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

was waiting for that

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

tbh with how much its been snowing in colorado lake mead will probably get filled up a decent amount when that really starts melting this spring

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Perry Mason Jar posted:

gently caress, you're right. gently caress! poo poo. poo poo!!

we badly need a "polar vortex" for like a goddamn week. Hell I'd take 72 hours below freezing with lows in the teens at this juncture.

If you can't skate on the pond, the ticks aren't dead. I don't think Christmas weekend did it.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

tbh with how much its been snowing in colorado lake mead will probably get filled up a decent amount when that really starts melting this spring

Yea to like 35%. That is a humongous reservoir, one winter ain't filling it (and Powell).

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

And thus the problem was solved forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The guy I was talking to while skiing was saying that it would take about 7 consecutive seasons of this years record level snowfall to refill the lake.