Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
One of the biggest things I enjoy about the Soltzenichyn is how the KGB made a report that estimated his political damage would be very limited and that his prestige in the west will take a massive nosedive once they find out how big of an insane lying anti-semite he is and they were proven right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Orange Devil posted:

Some Finnish friends are convinced NATO will throw Turkey out and take Sweden and Finland instead if it comes to it, which is very funny to me.

this is an incredible thing to think lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

That would be quite a trade...

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lobster shirt posted:

there is a majority among NATO supporters who seriously think it will happen because everyone is getting just so annoyed at erdogan...

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
in finland specifically the usual suspects have spent decades lying about how we have some kind of "nato option" that we can cash in to join at any time, and now that it didn't happen as promised people unsurprisingly choose to blame the swarthy guy from down south instead of the dipshits that made up all that horseshit

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

lollontee posted:

there is a majority among NATO supporters who seriously think it will happen because everyone is getting just so annoyed at erdogan...

it's nice being a materialist, looking at the respective army sizes, and going "well..."

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I mean what would you rather have. Control over Bosporus or Sweden? I think the choice is obvious.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i dunno, there are the strategic surströmming reserves to consider

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cerebral Bore posted:

i dunno, there are the strategic surströmming reserves to consider

The nefarious Swede maintains large stockpiles in direct contravention of the Hague Conventions.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

One of the biggest things I enjoy about the Soltzenichyn is how the KGB made a report that estimated his political damage would be very limited and that his prestige in the west will take a massive nosedive once they find out how big of an insane lying anti-semite he is and they were proven right.

how did the kgb manage to be so naive about this

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CODChimera posted:

i want to see mark and jeremy argue about ukraine

and after they're done super hans shows up with his new girlfriend from the donbas

Akaiku
May 17, 2013

Doktor Avalanche posted:

how did the kgb manage to be so naive about this

They kept thinking their reports of "The West is a bunch of bloodthirsty inhumane monsters who will believe anything that supports their hunger" were their own propaganda and were worried about huffing their own supply.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Orange Devil posted:

Some Finnish friends are convinced NATO will throw Turkey out and take Sweden and Finland instead if it comes to it, which is very funny to me.

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

lmfao

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I hope they do TBH

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aren't you tankies all in agreement that the West is deeply into huffing its own propaganda and copium? If so, wouldn't it be possible that they actually do try to replace Turkey with Finland and Sweden?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

fizzy posted:

Aren't you tankies all in agreement that the West is deeply into huffing its own propaganda and copium? If so, wouldn't it be possible that they actually do try to replace Turkey with Finland and Sweden?

I think that mixes up who does the huffing and who does the farting.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

fizzy posted:

The population is huffing it's own supply but I assume some decision makers will use it's brain and understand the strategic location of Turkey is more important than Finland and Sweden.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fizzy posted:

i was going to write that i'm like trying to explain that no, NATO does not care more about a freedom loving and peaceful republic of 5.7 million people, when compared to the vile turk with her 86 million people and army to match

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

paul_soccer12 posted:

GBS currently circlejerking to a video of a russian journalist losing her leg from a shrapnel wound

Ghoulish, Brainless Simpletons

https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/status/1612500721051762689

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

fizzy posted:

I guess the question is to what degree, because fully alienating Turkey would be a massive L for the West as a whole. Yeah you would cut off the Turkish from Western weapon systems but Turkey already has a pretty large defense industry (and honestly probably could still get Israeli weapons when it gets down to it).

That said, I think pushing Sweden/Finland in was not the greatest idea from the start especially since it doesn't seem the US really checked if Ankara was on board especially since Erdogan clearly still blames the US in part for the attempted coup. The West obviously has leverage on them, but allowing Erdogan to tap into Turkish nationalism I think would be a big mistake.

lollontee posted:

i was going to write that i'm like trying to explain that no, NATO does not care more about a freedom loving and peaceful republic of 5.7 million people, when compared to the vile turk with her 86 million people and army to match

Granted, the US would only do that unless some type of bizarre Finland missile base strategy is their only card since that is really the only reason you would need Finland (and get Sweden on the side). Otherwise, the Finnish military even if it was part of NATO probably would stay small and defensive.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Jan 22, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

^^^ turkey is the one who has the leverage in this situation, that was the whole point of the attempted coup

fizzy posted:

Lol

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
maybe the west could try alienating turkey, as a strategy. i think there is somemerit to this idea, like everything that NATO would lose

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

^^^ turkey is the one who has the leverage in this situation, that was the whole point of the attempted coup

Granted, I legitimately don't think it was US planned but they probably knew about it. One thing the only coup seemed to be pretty weakly supported and coordinated, with only a couple units fully apart of it. It is more of a Erdogan knows the US knew and they are never going to hand over Gulen, (and Sweden doesn't want to give over those Kurds) so he is going get even.

Currently, congress is trying to use F-16s as leverage while selling F-35s to Greece (a country obviously with endless money to spend), but it certainly has the potential to backfire since the US is obviously favoring one over the other. Turkey does need new fighters as they using older F-16s, but they are theoretically working on at least 2 of their own. There is also the question of how does Turkey want to be tied to the US at this point.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Jan 22, 2023

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Ardennes posted:

Currently, congress is trying to use F-16s as leverage while selling F-35s to Greece (a country obviously with endless money to spend), but it certainly has the potential to backfire since the US is obviously favoring one over the other. Turkey does need new fighters as they using older F-16s, but they are theoretically working on at least 2 of their own. There is also the question of how does Turkey want to be tied to the US at this point.

Sukhoi: Checkmate. All according to Keikaku.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

fizzy posted:

Why on earth would the U.S. give swedes and finns any concessions. where they gonna go? what they gonna do? got them on a leash

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lollontee posted:

maybe the west could try alienating turkey, as a strategy. i think there is somemerit to this idea, like everything that NATO would lose

this

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

the united states, high on copium, retaking constantinople

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

Why on earth would the U.S. give swedes and finns any concessions. where they gonna go? what they gonna do? got them on a leash

☝️

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*starts a post with 'you tankies'* this'll get em while saying nothing about me at all

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Homeless Friend posted:

:smugdog:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

just give sweden and finland nukes. so simple.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

lumpentroll posted:

At least for Canada the US has in the past given possession and authorization to use nukes, not sure which other countries have had similar agreements but I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't already secretly had such at the height of the Cold War

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lumpentroll posted:

bing bong boom

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Even with the rosiest numbers Finland + Sweden would make up a smaller budget, smaller army, in a less important geopolitical location; Finland and Sweden's entire ocean-facing border is consumed by Norway, who is already a NATO member, while Turkey overseas the length of the Black Sea and shadows Syrian ports.

There's no benefit to swapping Turkey for Swedland were that even possible, besides a more confident paper bag rating.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
lol that this was ever a thing- IIRC designed expressly for use in a European theater of war:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goMNAxFqGbk&t=37s

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

fizzy posted:

Turkey is actually important.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Homeless Friend posted:

if i thought it was deliberate i'd have to give nato some credit for bullshitting the swedes and finns into this position

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Nobody wants to say it but the only way in for Sweden and Finland is full EU membership for Türkiye :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

Even with the rosiest numbers Finland + Sweden would make up a smaller budget, smaller army, in a less important geopolitical location; Finland and Sweden's entire ocean-facing border is consumed by Norway, who is already a NATO member, while Turkey overseas the length of the Black Sea and shadows Syrian ports.

There's no benefit to swapping Turkey for Swedland were that even possible, besides a more confident paper bag rating.

Sweden and Finland are ruled by people dumb enough that they think picking a fight with Russia right now is good idea, while even Erdogan has figured that one out.