Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

You know, you gotta imagine that someone, somewhere, is pitching the idea to venture capitalists of "Twitter, but with an actual content moderation and ad sales team, and without the narcissistic manchild or billion-dollar debt payments".

At this stage you could probably hire back most of the staff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You know, you gotta imagine that someone, somewhere, is pitching the idea to venture capitalists of "Twitter, but with an actual content moderation and ad sales team, and without the narcissistic manchild or billion-dollar debt payments".

If it was a matter of tech, and not that of the network effect, someone would’ve done it already.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't understand why with modern video game consoles:

If I OWN the game disc and have it installed on MY machine, why do I have to be online to play the loving thing? I've been monkeying around for about an hour now not being able to get any of my games to boot up (it won't recognize that I own the disc) only to find out they're having a server issue.

I called support when I ran out of troubleshooting to see about maybe getting it repaired, suspecting it was the disc drive, and could not for the life of me understand half of what the guy was saying, then was put on hold so he could "escalate" the problem but then had silence for a half hour and hung up when my console said "we are aware of the issue" and the dude stopped talking to me.

This online all the time poo poo has got to go IMO. I know I'm old and cranky but I don't think I'm out of bounds here longing for simpler times when you put the loving game cart/disc into the console and actually got to play it. I don't even PLAY online games and have zero reason to be online when I want to waste a couple of hours.

One suggestion I read was to play offline, which I do anyway, but Elden Ring and Hitman for example will not let me play at all without being connected and require me to be online in the first place to TELL the game I want to be offline.

Why?

Part of the reason I like physical media is because I live in a hurricane zone that can also sometimes have spotty internet connections and, when that happens, my DVD and game library is nice to have. Also, if I buy a disc and install a game and register it, why does my console need the disc to verify the license?

Can people honestly not take a copy of a game to a friend's house and play it anymore?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

[b]If I OWN the game disc and have it installed on MY machine

You may own the plastic thing the game is on, but you don't own the game. You purchased a license to use it and in that license they can basically do whatever including all of these things are are annoying you and everyone else.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Does the judge seeing the case know about this? possibly because it's such a low stakes case and it's basically just advise to someone representing themselves, they won't care, but the judge caring will be the main thing.

I think he said the judge didn't know, but then he deleted a bunch of tweets, including that one.

In general, I think judges don't usually love people using their courtroom for publicity stunts like this? And traffic court isn't exactly known for its complex cases, so it's not like this is going to be particularly impressive.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I don't really understand this argument because as far as I understand it, lawyers have perfect protection from liability. If they gently caress up your case from a creative point, you can't sue them for professional liability like you can with a mechanical engineer or a medical practitioner. Losing a case is because your case was wrong, a bridge falling over is because the engineer got it wrong and he (well, his professional indemnity insurance) has to pay.

If a defense lawyer fails to uphold their obligation to represent you competently and responsibly, they can indeed be sued for malpractice, and in particularly egregious cases they can even face disciplinary measures from the state bar.

Additionally, in criminal cases, your lawyer has a constitutional duty to provide you effective counsel, and a sufficiently incompetent or negligent lawyer can find themselves the centerpiece of an "ineffective assistance of counsel" appeal, which doesn't have any direct consequences to the lawyer by itself but can be rather difficult to explain to potential clients in the future.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kwyndig posted:

Any legal experts want to chime in on the legality of this asinine plan?

https://twitter.com/jbrowder1/status/1616628244840579074?s=20&t=2y4LZI4NMR5oUuUDnjWOKA

TLDR DoNotPay wants to stick an earpiece in some poor schmuck and have it argue his traffic case for him.

I'm hearing from my attorney "John Madden! John Madden! John Madden! aeiou aeiou"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Motronic posted:

You may own the plastic thing the game is on, but you don't own the game. You purchased a license to use it and in that license they can basically do whatever including all of these things are are annoying you and everyone else.

OK fine.

Except MS/Sony already know that I own the game.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I don't really understand this argument because as far as I understand it, lawyers have perfect protection from liability. If they gently caress up your case from a creative point, you can't sue them for professional liability like you can with a mechanical engineer or a medical practitioner. Losing a case is because your case was wrong, a bridge falling over is because the engineer got it wrong and he (well, his professional indemnity insurance) has to pay.

Most law is trying to find the closest equivalent example to copy paste the result from. Whether that is a fine being challenged, a contract dispute over "shall" and "should", a laborious line by line division of a divorcing couple's assets. Sure, there will need to be checks and skilled oversight but it's the equivalent of suggesting that new designs of bridge can't benefit from computer aided design because the creativity that goes into bridge ideation, design and execution is beyond computers. That is to say, I don't think ML is going to replace lawyers entirely ever, but that a lot of labor and resources devoted to legal disputes now could be re-purposed to other things in life with appropriate automation and ML based research.
Not sure I totally followed your point but lawyers do take on liability. They face financial and professional sanctions for filing frivolous lawsuits. This literally just happened to Trump's lawyer. They can also be penalized in some jurisdictions for just doing a bad job of representing their client, such as loving up the paperwork. It's not common but it's a thing.

e;fb on the bad job part

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 22, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Volmarias posted:

The gold fringe on the flag in the courtroom means that there's an ear trumpet within the flag stand that can be removed for use if necessary.

As a venerable an relatively ancient institution the SCOTUS has on hand an old southern gentleman in Kentucky Colonel costume who, upon request, will stand next to a hard of hearing court participant and yell everything loudly into their ear in the style of "AH SAY SUH, THE RIGHT HONORABLE JUDGE ALITO WANTS TO KNOW IF YOU ENJOYED THE PAELLA HIS WIFE MADE LAST NIGHT" while fanning himself

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Main Paineframe posted:

I think he said the judge didn't know, but then he deleted a bunch of tweets, including that one.

In general, I think judges don't usually love people using their courtroom for publicity stunts like this? And traffic court isn't exactly known for its complex cases, so it's not like this is going to be particularly impressive.

If a defense lawyer fails to uphold their obligation to represent you competently and responsibly, they can indeed be sued for malpractice, and in particularly egregious cases they can even face disciplinary measures from the state bar.

Additionally, in criminal cases, your lawyer has a constitutional duty to provide you effective counsel, and a sufficiently incompetent or negligent lawyer can find themselves the centerpiece of an "ineffective assistance of counsel" appeal, which doesn't have any direct consequences to the lawyer by itself but can be rather difficult to explain to potential clients in the future.

Somehow I doubt lawyers are required to disclose ineffective assistance of counsel motions that were granted on them, but they probably should be come to think of it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ErIog posted:

ML is, itself, also heavy marketing smoke too. Less so for some implementations, but it's an industry where people frequently call automated regression, "machine learning," when it's clearly an application of statistical modeling.

"Being tortured for eternity by a clear application of statistical modeling" doesn't sound as sexy, though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Coherent piece on ChatGPT vs Google. TLDR: there are no miracles, Google has just let search rot ever since their merger with DoubleClick. https://www.readmargins.com/p/google-vs-chatgpt-told-by-aglio-e

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

BiggerBoat posted:

If I OWN the game disc and have it installed on MY machine, why do I have to be online to play the loving thing? I've been monkeying around for about an hour now not being able to get any of my games to boot up (it won't recognize that I own the disc) only to find out they're having a server issue.

I called support when I ran out of troubleshooting to see about maybe getting it repaired, suspecting it was the disc drive, and could not for the life of me understand half of what the guy was saying, then was put on hold so he could "escalate" the problem but then had silence for a half hour and hung up when my console said "we are aware of the issue" and the dude stopped talking to me.

This online all the time poo poo has got to go IMO. I know I'm old and cranky but I don't think I'm out of bounds here longing for simpler times when you put the loving game cart/disc into the console and actually got to play it. I don't even PLAY online games and have zero reason to be online when I want to waste a couple of hours.

One suggestion I read was to play offline, which I do anyway, but Elden Ring and Hitman for example will not let me play at all without being connected and require me to be online in the first place to TELL the game I want to be offline.

Why?

Part of the reason I like physical media is because I live in a hurricane zone that can also sometimes have spotty internet connections and, when that happens, my DVD and game library is nice to have. Also, if I buy a disc and install a game and register it, why does my console need the disc to verify the license?

Can people honestly not take a copy of a game to a friend's house and play it anymore?

It’s DRM OP. If they don’t phone home you could be playing a copied/pirated version of the game and god forbid you deprive some exec at actiblizz their bonus.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm hearing from my attorney "John Madden! John Madden! John Madden! aeiou aeiou"

"Hey! LISTEN!"

"Hey! LISTEN!"

"Hey! LISTEN!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Motronic posted:

And it's still maddening because when I go to the online store it says right there that I already have the loving game installed (?)

Why do I need the disc? Why do I need to be online? It's already ON my hard drive and I've ALREADY jumped through all the installation hoops and registered the game. Just let me play the games I bought and installed. Is that a lot to ask?

Is it something where they don't want me password sharing with my friends? Like, if I go to their house and they log in their console with my account info, then they can play Elden RIng, NBA 2k or Hitman after I leave if I install it on their console? Because it seems to me there are far simpler ways to deal with that if that's what they're worried about.

In my line of work, I go through this all the time with Adobe because it thinks I'm offline or not logged in when I am. Plus, Adobe already solved this problem 20 years ago by tracking your serial # once you installed the software you bought.

How is this managing to actually get worse instead of better? Besides greed and data tracking I mean.

So, yeah, it's an issue with MS servers or whatever. I think.

To troubleshoot it, I put a Blu Ray in and, if it were the disc drive, the movie wouldn't play, right?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

BiggerBoat posted:

Why?

Please drink your verification can.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The answer to questions like these is always: "they think it gives them a bit more profit or control, and they can get away with it."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

How is this managing to actually get worse instead of better? Besides greed and data tracking I mean.

You answered your own question pretty thoroughly right there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

To troubleshoot it, I put a Blu Ray in and, if it were the disc drive, the movie wouldn't play, right?

Can anyone verify this? If it was a hardware issue and related to the disc drive, then the CD, DVD and Blu Ray I put in there wouldn't work either, correct? It's only games that won't fire up but movies and music load fine.

Guess I'm gonna watch Momento this afternoon instead of Elden Ring

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The answer to questions like these is always: "they think it gives them a bit more profit or control, and they can get away with it."

I mean, yeah, I guess this is true and they can so long as people camp out around a city block and have riots every time a new console or phone is released so why should they care?

I just don't see how they make more money by sporadically making my games unplayable and don't see the angle.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 22, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ianmacdo posted:

What about hearing aids with Bluetooth? Do they make hearing impaired people pull them out to check that Bluetooth is turned off?

Nah, they won't care. I thought about this too but I'd be suspicious of how many lawyers wear hearing aids given the profession is exceedingly hearing-based.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

BiggerBoat posted:

And it's still maddening because when I go to the online store it says right there that I already have the loving game installed (?)

Why do I need the disc? Why do I need to be online? It's already ON my hard drive and I've ALREADY jumped through all the installation hoops and registered the game. Just let me play the games I bought and installed. Is that a lot to ask?

Is it something where they don't want me password sharing with my friends? Like, if I go to their house and they log in their console with my account info, then they can play Elden RIng, NBA 2k or Hitman after I leave if I install it on their console? Because it seems to me there are far simpler ways to deal with that if that's what they're worried about.

In my line of work, I go through this all the time with Adobe because it thinks I'm offline or not logged in when I am. Plus, Adobe already solved this problem 20 years ago by tracking your serial # once you installed the software you bought.

Yeah grandpa I know. I know you were in the war grandpa. Let's get you to bed. Doesn't a nap sound nice?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

Yeah grandpa I know. I know you were in the war grandpa. Let's get you to bed. Doesn't a nap sound nice?

No. But I tied an onion to my belt.

Cost me five bees.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Cost me five bees.

Five bees, sorry but you got ripped off. No one pays more than two bees for a belt onion these days, old timer.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BiggerBoat posted:

Cost me five bees.

That bit originally aired almost thirty years ago.
:corsair:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That bit originally aired almost thirty years ago.
:corsair:

It was the style at the time

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

dr_rat posted:

Five bees, sorry but you got ripped off. No one pays more than two bees for a belt onion these days, old timer.

I bet they do in the Philippines.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

So are they just going to give up cooking? Like without onions, what's even the point?

Well at least they'll still have halo-halo. :unsmith:

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is specifically not true with Elden Ring, at least as the primary motivating factor. Elden Ring was designed from the ground up to be online, and the Souls games in general have been since game 2. This was likely an early architecture choice and a lot of how the game is designed and starts up assumes that you're online, because 99% of players are. This is especially true since a lot of people play in online mode purposefully for it, and the anti-cheat protection is built in at the basic "connect to internet" level, especially for the console versions. If you look on the back of your box you'll see somewhere it says something to the effect of "Broadband internet service required." Hell, the asynch multiplayer is a specific selling point of the series.

Yes it sucks, but Elden Ring is probably a bad game to signal out for this, because it misunderstands what the product is. Elden Ring is designed around internet connectivity and community, even if it is often in an abstract or asynchronous way. That they've built in an offline mode that you can opt into once you've connected, or if you're having internet connection issues (usually) is them being cool about it. It sounds more like there is some issue going on between the console service (PSN/Xbox) chatting with verification servers or possibly the handoff between the console service and the Elden Ring services. Which does, indeed, suck.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Legal malpractice works exactly like medical malpractice.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Tort reform has made it into a joke?

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

BiggerBoat posted:

I stand with you on this my dude! Recently I wanted to transfer a save from my PS4 to PS5 and it refused to save them to the USB stick that it KNOWS is connected unless I was signed into PSN with the latest firmware.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You're not wrong, it's horrible, but welcome to the future sir! You own nothing, and you'll enjoy it!

(until someone cracks the DRM)

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

TaintedBalance posted:

This is specifically not true with Elden Ring, at least as the primary motivating factor. Elden Ring was designed from the ground up to be online, and the Souls games in general have been since game 2. This was likely an early architecture choice and a lot of how the game is designed and starts up assumes that you're online, because 99% of players are. This is especially true since a lot of people play in online mode purposefully for it, and the anti-cheat protection is built in at the basic "connect to internet" level, especially for the console versions. If you look on the back of your box you'll see somewhere it says something to the effect of "Broadband internet service required." Hell, the asynch multiplayer is a specific selling point of the series.

Yes it sucks, but Elden Ring is probably a bad game to signal out for this, because it misunderstands what the product is. Elden Ring is designed around internet connectivity and community, even if it is often in an abstract or asynchronous way. That they've built in an offline mode that you can opt into once you've connected, or if you're having internet connection issues (usually) is them being cool about it. It sounds more like there is some issue going on between the console service (PSN/Xbox) chatting with verification servers or possibly the handoff between the console service and the Elden Ring services. Which does, indeed, suck.

None of this is true. Offline mode works fine in the PC version. I know this because I started naked and didn't want messages in early areas so I could have more fun exploring them myself and figuring out where to get loot.

Offline has worked completely fine in every one of the games dating back to Demon's Souls where it was the recommended way to do a lot of things on a 100% run so that your world tendency didn't get wrecked.

If anything, this is a fuckup on either Sony's part or From misunderstanding something about the way the new online infrastructure works.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I was able to play fine on PS4 during an internet outage that lasted more than a day. It just said that it was unable to connect to the Playstation Network and it was starting in offline mode. Which was fine, because I was playing offline mode anyway since I'm not about to pay for Playstation+.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Just get The Perfect Console™, The Nintendo Switch.

:iia:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kwyndig posted:

Any legal experts want to chime in on the legality of this asinine plan?

https://twitter.com/jbrowder1/status/1616628244840579074?s=20&t=2y4LZI4NMR5oUuUDnjWOKA

TLDR DoNotPay wants to stick an earpiece in some poor schmuck and have it argue his traffic case for him.

IANAL however courtrooms usually have rules regarding what, if any, electronic devices are allowed. Considering that this is effectively providing legal counsel via a non-licensed party I can't imagine the judge being too happy about if it they aren't told in advance and give their blessing under the understanding of "if you gently caress up your case because you used this AI, that's not ground for an appeal."

I think that Legal-focused AIs could be very useful for helping research arguments for a case since it could theoretically find other relevant cases and flag them to you both for your arguments and to prepare for counter arguments which could be a huge help to the nation's overworked public defenders. That is not what this company is trying to do though because it wouldn't get them the same amount of attention as this stupid stunt will.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Does Facebook have anything like it in the their app? Not the usual wall of update poo poo but a literal, shameless clone of Twitter but accessible to their billion+ daily users? If not, maybe they should've made that instead of set fire to billions of dollars making a VR miiverse but worse.

BiggerBoat posted:

OK fine.

Except MS/Sony already know that I own the game.

They're probably afraid that if they didn't have the always online component, people would just... not go online on their consoles and sell the physical copy while keeping access or something? Companies continue to worry about piracy while forgetting that all those hoops are what drive people to it.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
Several months ago, I couldn't play my PS4 digital copy of The Cruel King and the Great Hero without an internet connection. When my internet connection was down, trying to boot up the downloaded and installed game just didn't work, without any explanation or an error message - I tried repeatedly, and the game just hanged or crashed after the boot-up screen every time. When my internet connection came back up, I could play the game again.

The Cruel King and the Great Hero is a single-player RPG with no online functionality at all (except for trophies, I guess) so I assume it's just an issue, intentional or not, caused by either the developer or by Sony.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Souls games work just fine offline, in fact there's a few cases to be made in favor of playing only offline. All online functionality is replicated in one way or another. In Souls games it's not a core gameplay thing but From's vision for their games more generally. If you want to play online on a console you've gotta buy the online sub for the console, no escaping that except with couch co-op. They're closed, private, for-profit ecosystems and will do whatever they can get away with.

The alternative is playing on PC. GamePass includes online for Xbox and you get loads of free* games to boot and is in the honeymoon phase where they still have to offer good value for the buck because the competitors aren't quite crushed yet. Switch gives you some old games as a reminder as to why we're all very glad we aren't in the NES era anymore and is like $12 a year.

I've got a big stack of old install discs, some even for games where that's the only way to even find them anymore, but that era was dead even 2 console generations ago.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Coherent piece on ChatGPT vs Google. TLDR: there are no miracles, Google has just let search rot ever since their merger with DoubleClick. https://www.readmargins.com/p/google-vs-chatgpt-told-by-aglio-e

quote:

If generative AI tools make the internet a worse place for a bit, that will only be because we are used to a certain type of internet that is taxed by big tech and subsidized by ads. If we are inundated with even more spam, and our search result become even more useless, it’ll only mean that we should move past those business models.

'For a bit' and 'move past those business models', right. What kind of alternative business model would reduce the effectiveness of engagement-bait, or those dreadful 'frozen-elsa pregnant spider-man spinal surgery' youtube channels? What kind of business model would mean Facebook no longer had to be a gigantic, ungovernable, unaccountable data-harvesting apparatus? Obviously that's not going to happen, so we should ... get used to it?

I feel that the author is blind to the fact that this is the Internet that 'big tech' wants. Your search result was a sea of ads? Great, that means someone's doing their job right, hopefully they'll convert you into a customer. Your recipe website popped something up over the text asking for your name and email? Fantastic, that means they get to send you more of what you want. What's the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The alternative would be a paid search engine/social network/etcetera, where you aren’t the product, but I’m afraid we’re not there yet collectively. The more viable alternative is regulators just breaking necks of everyone hard enough that we’re left with search engines et. al. being subsidised by, e.g., Microsoft’s software sales or Apple’s hardware sales.

On that note, I wouldn’t say I’m also on board with the author’s GPT-enthusiasm - I think that post-GPT Internet looks like the same SEO hellscape, but one where a measurable chunk of available content is parroted by a computer in a way that requires more time to identify or validate than the current obvious copy paste of top 10 Shrek figurines for welders.