Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's full. Everybody flush their toilets extra to make some room for the next storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

If you're a political "staffer" you deserve an rear end-kicking and a wedgie. Your boss should throw staplers at you and you should be canned via text message for getting her the chicken cesar salad without the dressing on the side.
My congresswoman's staff helped me cut an inextricable knot with Social Security. All congresspeople have staff devoted to helping their constituents battle Federal bureaucracy. Those people are awesome.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

well wouldja look at that:

https://twitter.com/DanielleLangWa/status/1614175284265390080

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Palmdale/Lancaster is a well known dumping place for the homeless from LA.
Karen bass had suggested taking land in Palmdale and building cheap housing and move the population there.
Palmdale wants LA to stop dumping their problems out of sight/mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d1ggUKg6ho

When a help group gets a homeless person a housing voucher, its then up to the person to find some place to be willing to take that voucher.
Palmdale is generally one of the few places that will.
Sadly its in the rear end end of nowhere and takes like an hour+ of driving to get back downtown.
2h-3h by bus that only runs from 6am-8am.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 18, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
bass continues the proud tradition of saying she'll do something about the homeless but just making them get out of sight

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I bet as a politician you kinda have to do both: actually house them and also move some away. The latter is solely so you can point towards it as progress for your constituents to focus on, who are just so extremely short-sighted and the former is something that actually solves a problem.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

DWR has been posting some short flyover videos of high water, wetlands, flooding etc. Pretty neat IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1noKeVuFyYc

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My congresswoman's staff helped me cut an inextricable knot with Social Security. All congresspeople have staff devoted to helping their constituents battle Federal bureaucracy. Those people are awesome.

For local issues, call your mayor's office. Who answers the phone there? Interns. Young, energetic, idealistic, and their caller ID says "Mayor's Office". They'll hook you up with anything.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

DWR has been posting some short flyover videos of high water, wetlands, flooding etc. Pretty neat IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1noKeVuFyYc

That's good to see, the Russian River hasn't had a good flood in a while.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah cool, if it goes anywhere, they’ll just jack up their rates even more to pay out damages and attorney fees. Talk about lose/loving lose.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah cool, if it goes anywhere, they’ll just jack up their rates even more to pay out damages and attorney fees. Talk about lose/loving lose.

It's be cool if the useless loving legislature would stop letting them raise rates to pay for killing a million people and a billion dollars in property damage or whatever the gently caress the tally over the last 5 years has been.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Unfortunately that would reduce the market incentives for them to provide safe and reliable power to the people of the California Republic.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
the only actual justice would be to track down the shareholders who received dividends that should have gone toward 40 years of deferred maintenance

and send them to work camps upgrading power lines after taking the money away.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Greg12 posted:

the only actual justice would be to track down the shareholders who received dividends that should have gone toward 40 years of deferred maintenance

greg12 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kenning posted:

Unfortunately that would reduce the market incentives for them to provide safe and reliable power to the people of the California Republic.

Lol how soon everyone seems to have forgotten the electricity crisis in 2000/2001 where blackouts happened almost everywhere in CA because rich people tried to make a lil extra

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think you'll find that rolling blackouts were simply necessary market corrections.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The invisible hand of the free market can flip breakers just fine.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
Holy poo poo, I was near the area and was wondering why there were so many emergency vehicles and now I know why:

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1617073629308588032?s=20

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Jesus Christ.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

gently caress guns and gently caress people who defend their continued legality. I'm just sitting here listening to the sounds of helicopters non-stop today, a constant reminder of the daily slaughter that we are powerless to stop.

e: apparently the swat standoff with the shooter is less than 5 minutes from my house. Both my wife's parents are working today at the Del Amo mall.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 22, 2023

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Greg12 posted:

Without looking it up I would guess that CALPERS is the largest or one of the largest shareholders. So send public school teachers to Maoist reeducation camps I guess?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ah well there was no convenient 600 lb pig-man bursting out of his pinstripe suit and top hat so i suppose nothing can be done

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Family Values posted:

Without looking it up I would guess that CALPERS is the largest or one of the largest shareholders. So send public school teachers to Maoist reeducation camps I guess?

It's not hard:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=PG%26E+CalPERS

If I'm a Maoist for thinking that people who benefit from other people burning to death and whole cities being reduced to ash should have to make some kind of restitution, find me some sparrows and a slingshot.

but yes, if a bunch of boomers who all voted to pull up the ladder behind them and cut young people's pensions in order to save their own... If they have to go spend a day or a weekend digging ditches or putting brush in a wood chipper to pay back their share of the dividends that should have gone toward maintaining PG&E's lines, that's good. It'll do them good.

If they can't afford to pay the money back and have to work a few extra days, well, they shouldn't have bought all that loving avocado toast and latte.

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 23, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Overcrowded shelter with a strep outbreak.
Some have died on their own, including one that was adopted.
Have euthanized a few and expect more if they cant get 100 uninfected doggos fostered until they can manage it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2k98rtyiUE

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Yay, now I am getting twice the fundraising bullshit! Both Adam Schiff and Katie Porter are hovering over Feinstein's still-breathing carcass, begging for "founding donor" contributions. And it's only Jan 2023!

That's in addition to the avalanche of Ruben Gallego stuff I've been getting for the past few days. My husband thought we might get a few months off from random fundraising texts, emails, etc, so he's very annoyed. It's going to be a long slog to fall 2024.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

I'm not totally sure you understand all of the implications of your statement, maybe you do. In case you don't: you've just sentenced pretty much every American who has a 401k/403b or pension to perform slave labor.

That's most middle-class Americans, who might not be the ideological enemies you are raging at. Well, maybe they are your enemies, IDK

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Are the California power outages really that bad? It's pretty normal for other areas of the country to have power outages in cases of bad weather.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silence_kit posted:

I'm not totally sure you understand all of the implications of your statement, maybe you do. In case you don't: you've just sentenced pretty much every American who has a 401k/403b or pension to perform slave labor.

That's most middle-class Americans, who might not be the ideological enemies you are raging at. Well, maybe they are your enemies, IDK

good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silence_kit posted:

Are the California power outages really that bad? It's pretty normal for other areas of the country to have power outages in cases of bad weather.

it's normal yeah except that they just didn't maintain power lines for 40 years so every time the wind blows and its slightly dry outside a line snaps and ignites a 30,000 acre fire and there appears to be absolutely nothing anybody can do to get them to spend money on maintenance because PG&E is one of those weird private companies with public investment

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I see. So it is more about the property damage associated with the outages.

My earlier thinking was that Coastal Californians might have unreasonable expectations w.r.t. having to deal with power outages. They really aren’t uncommon in cases of bad weather in other parts of the country.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

silence_kit posted:

My earlier thinking was that Coastal Californians might have unreasonable expectations w.r.t. having to deal with power outages. They really aren’t uncommon in cases of bad weather in other parts of the country.

Sometimes we also cause power outages to ourself and call it rolling blackouts

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

silence_kit posted:

The power outages are bad inland in the summertime, when a heat dome firms up and it's still an oven outside when the sun goes down, because that's when the available power generated from solar drops like a stone.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

silence_kit posted:

Also deaths. One 2018 fire started by bad PG&E maintenance, for example, killed 85 people alongside destroying 4 towns

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Fire_(2018)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Whatever Roseville is doing, besides "not using loving PG&E and using their own utility company," is awesome. I can't recall a single summer blackout in the roughly 8-9 years I've lived here.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

silence_kit posted:

CA also seems to have a very loose definition of "bad weather," with things like "it's hot" somehow causing power to go out to 100,000+ people at a time. It's not like this is something new, or a big storm blowing down lines (that happens too, of course). It's the same poo poo over and over every year, with PG&E acting like nobody could have possibly predicted that central CA would get hot in July and that people would turn on their air conditioning. Yes, elsewhere in the country has power outages from storms or freak weather, but they don't spend every single summer doing rolling blackouts for seasonally-normal heat. We're talking over a decade of this now, with the same excuse every year and nothing changed to fix it.

(Plus literally wiping towns off the map from fires, etc etc.)

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

silence_kit posted:

it generally hasnt been oops power outages because bad weather, it's oops power outages because we exploded a gas main and also a dozen people and their homes, or oops power outages because we caused the 5 largest fires in recorded history in California that burned whole towns to the ground and killed a hundred people, and all because of direct negligence and lack of maintenance. Even the rolling blackouts aren't because "oh, it's extreme weather nothing you can do", it's because PG&E hasn't done any proper maintenance and so the only alternative to causing mass death and destruction is shutting the power off.

Who'da thunk deregulation would have turned out so great??

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Whatever Roseville is doing, besides "not using loving PG&E and using their own utility company," is awesome. I can't recall a single summer blackout in the roughly 8-9 years I've lived here.

The problem is (and always has been) PG&E.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

To be fair, the problem is also dip-shitted neoliberals who privatized PG&E. I will never forget this Facebook post from a kindly but sorta dumb guy I know back in 2019 when there were pre-emptive outages because there was a windstorm and PG&E was acknowledging that if they didn't turn off power there would be fires from poorly-maintained lines:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah pg&e is just consistently awful. not enough generation for peak load like during the heat waves, no maintenance until the service actually fails. my neighbor is getting hassled about him drawing 'enough power for 5 houses' and we sat down and did the math and it's actually completely impossible for that to be the case even if you didn't take his solar into account. and the meter doesn't agree with pg&e either. im convinced that since we're on the edge of the burnscar and therefore the edge of the customer base and service area that they've got some kind of weird loss downline and they're trying to pin it on him instead of fixing it lol.