Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
For the life of me I can't get the blinds to float the way I want them to and it's driving me absolutely bonkers insane. This item is proving to be quite non versatile because of how restrictive it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

cmon yoship put fanfest tickets on sale already people got vacations to plan

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

They'd basically be slightly prettier versions of your existing Big Potency 60-120 second cooldown attacks.

Why wouldn't we want that? I want to watch my guy fill a bar and cast Meteor, let the devs give each boss a million more HP to balance it I don't care that's their problem

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Also after taking a long break from the game I just caught up to rank 7 on the Omicron dailies, oh my god :unsmith:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Why wouldn't we want that? I want to watch my guy fill a bar and cast Meteor, let the devs give each boss a million more HP to balance it I don't care that's their problem

you should play pvp

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

I assume you don't do endgame content huh

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

IM FREE from heavensward :negative:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

After getting a house I wonder has anyone ever seen your neighbors? I saw 1 person by the MB and the next few yards are empty except for the mini-teleport. I added my garden ponds and a bench and I feel like yeah, this is the ideal life IRL but in-game it's pretty sparse.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Alder posted:

After getting a house I wonder has anyone ever seen your neighbors? I saw 1 person by the MB and the next few yards are empty except for the mini-teleport. I added my garden ponds and a bench and I feel like yeah, this is the ideal life IRL but in-game it's pretty sparse.

I have one of the glade plots that has a cliff for a neighbor, and a path on the other side, but I have seen the neighbor on top of the cliff at the market board some of the times I'm there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Alder posted:

My FC's got a whole corner of the Goblet so we come round to snoop pretty often. There's also another FC nearby where I occasionally see folks. Other than that, nope.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Give Machinist the buff they truly deserve and add the PvP instant death proc to chainsaw in PvE as well

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I saw my neighbours at my fc house quite frequently but they moved away with the lotterly that just ended :(

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thundarr posted:

Individual LBs would have to be weak as poo poo to account for the way the game is already balanced. They'd basically be slightly prettier versions of your existing Big Potency 60-120 second cooldown attacks.

Imagine seeing RDM LB3 every 2 minutes.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I randomly decided to see what I could solo in Savage for gear/glams, wtf at Brute Justice being harder than Alexander

But some of these weapons look goofy and awesome as hell. MCH's Alexander weapon might as well be a plasma pistol from Halo or something

At this point are any of the Omega Raids soloable purposely for weapons/glamour?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MechaX posted:

I randomly decided to see what I could solo in Savage for gear/glams, wtf at Brute Justice being harder than Alexander

But some of these weapons look goofy and awesome as hell. MCH's Alexander weapon might as well be a plasma pistol from Halo or something

At this point are any of the Omega Raids soloable purposely for weapons/glamour?

You got WAR leveled?

https://twitter.com/SeaSaltBagel/st...ingawful.com%2F

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm not sure exactly which Omega fights are soloable, but I don't think any are easy - you'll need to know exactly what you're doing, unlike eg A12S "press button until dead". If you're after glams you're probably better off with a PF or friends (our FC recently got a group for "do all the old savages that give mounts", it didn't take long and was fun, and people got mounts)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

You got WAR leveled?

It's close to 90, but not yet; I used SMN on my attempts this afternoon (Radiant Aegis is kinda clutch)

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Thanks to housing and the "hey I should craft this thing, let's see the material list oh wait what's that composant I have never seen ever and why do I not have the recipe ?" effect, I've discovered the rabbit hole of Master Recipes I-II from Mor Dhona I skipped or glossed over a few months ago. Geez, this is going to take a while...

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Zanael posted:

Thanks to housing and the "hey I should craft this thing, let's see the material list oh wait what's that composant I have never seen ever and why do I not have the recipe ?" effect, I've discovered the rabbit hole of Master Recipes I-II from Mor Dhona I skipped or glossed over a few months ago. Geez, this is going to take a while...

Also known as "How to get rich on the market board selling things that were listed for 100 Gil last week"

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Also known as "How to get rich on the market board selling things that were listed for 100 Gil last week"

and the highly sought after sequel "and then someone undercuts you instantly and ruins the market in 30 seconds"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Alder posted:

If you're talking about one of the new wards, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot are in their houses working on the interiors. I haven't even touched the outside of my house yet

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah I just moved in it's gonna be a few weeks probably to get this poo poo sorted out, I got classes level and poo poo to do

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Alder posted:

Like twice in 5 years.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

About the only part of my house I have nailed down at this point is the Fish Viewing Zone:

I need to figure out what to do with the space left in the non-visible tank, which currently just has an Ichthyosaur in it. Maybe some of the little needle-nose guys from Elpis? (What I really need to do is figure out how to actually build living areas in this place, but look, my retainers gave me so many goddamn aquariums and I've got to put them somewhere.)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Alright, so I have a really stupid idea for a character.

Would anyone happen to know of any hats that look like this (ideally able to be worn by either healers or casters)?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/pitohui/status/1617183498309337089?s=20

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Alright, so I have a really stupid idea for a character.

Would anyone happen to know of any hats that look like this (ideally able to be worn by either healers or casters)?

Voeburtite and Heirloom healing look sorta like that, and casting might share a model with them?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I think it would be super neat if they decreased the level requirement for the first dungeon in an expansion to X0 instead of X1.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I’m real curious as to how they’ll handle level 100+.

Guy who’s about to get sundered: what are you gonna do, sunder me???

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

I’m real curious as to how they’ll handle level 100+.

They've got an interesting situation on their hands, since their core design is going to force them to be innovative. The bog-standard Alternate Advancement/Master Levels/etc. system where you slowly gain incremental power via time investment is already there as a part of the equipment system, and I'm not sure if it can really support a second stat grind on top of the preexisting one. Similarly, some kind of augment or Legendary system where you change how preexisting actions work flies in the face of the otherwise tight job design and lack of real system mastery they've settled on as being FFXIV's philosophy. I could see some kind of Trials of Mana-esque thing where you could unlock alternate forms of existing jobs with mildly different mechanics working, but there's probably straight up too many jobs for that to be feasible from a manhour standpoint.

It almost makes me wonder if some kind of expansion of the Logos/Lost/etc. action system into regular gameplay might be the ticket, since it's (relatively) job neutral, easy to expand on, and wouldn't require an absurd amount of system mastery for the average player to grasp. It would likely also make for some balancing headaches down the line, but that might be the price they have to pay for adding in needed novelty for 100+.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I hope they just say "new cap is 110" and continue to make the game good and fun instead of adding in another layer of bullshit borrowed power or legendary stats they have to design fights around.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"After three months consultation with our programming team, we believe we can add a third digit with minimal crashes and other bugs."

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I hope they just say "the level cap is permanently 100" and continue to make the game good and fun instead of 'fixing' classes that aren't broken for the sake of pushing in 3-4 new buttons every expansion.

But it's honestly not as easy as that, because once you've been playing Jenga with vertical progression for ten years, the players at the top will get real upset if it stops getting taller, no matter how close it is to all falling over.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I hope they just say "new cap is 110" and continue to make the game good and fun instead of adding in another layer of bullshit borrowed power or legendary stats they have to design fights around.

I think I’d like that too

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They'll sacrifice one player who says "the level cap should be 110" every day to make everyone else at level cap a percentage point stronger until everyone has the stats of a theoretical level 110.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Telarra posted:

I hope they just say "the level cap is permanently 100" and continue to make the game good and fun instead of 'fixing' classes that aren't broken for the sake of pushing in 3-4 new buttons every expansion.

But it's honestly not as easy as that, because once you've been playing Jenga with vertical progression for ten years, the players at the top will get real upset if it stops getting taller, no matter how close it is to all falling over.

I mean whether you like it or not "Jobs get new stuff" is a selling point for expansions. It's a thing people play the game for and would not like if it was gone. Treating this like it's a "top player" thing is way off.

The last thing FFXIV needs is an ESO problem where progression just deadends with new no abilities or classes and it's just incremental stat growths that no one's going to get excited about.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bruceski posted:

"After three months consultation with our programming team, we believe we can add a third digit with minimal crashes and other bugs."

Doing so somehow ends up breaking both Rival Wings and Doman Mahjong.

An emergency hotfix is published the week after to fix Doman Mahjong.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I mean whether you like it or not "Jobs get new stuff" is a selling point for expansions. It's a thing people play the game for and would not like if it was gone. Treating this like it's a "top player" thing is way off.

The last thing FFXIV needs is an ESO problem where progression just deadends with new no abilities or classes and it's just incremental stat growths that no one's going to get excited about.

It being a selling point for expansions is my point; players at the 'top' (ie. at max level) look forward to what their class gets next. I do too! But FF14 classes have deliberate, complex rotations that involve close to all of their abilities, there's only so much you can add to a class before you have to start taking away from it somewhere else. And we're already starting to see the effects of that in Endwalker. Or how the similar trend of adding two classes every expansion forced them to stop continuing the class quests because it was just too much to keep up with.

To be clear, I'm not complaining about any particular thing here, I'm just pointing out that this is playing out across dozens of systems across the entire game, and each additional expansion strains things more and more. It just can't continue forever, especially since FF14 cares about its new players, who face an ever-higher climb ahead of them. And I feel the devs are absolutely recognizing this, from Yoshi-P's comments about the new level cap, to how 6.1's writing + the codex is setting it up as a new on-boarding point. Honestly I'm pretty excited to see what they all have planned for 7.0, after all the talk in the live letters about how they are committed to keeping this train rolling for another ten years.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

I think I’d like that too

The primary issue is that, past a certain point, it becomes increasingly hard to adjust what are already pretty good rotations in a meaningful way that doesn't feel like shuffling for the sake of shuffling, and it's a problem that only increases with every expansion that adds new jobs to the mix. I took Yoshida's level 100 cap comment to mean that the amount of work needed to keep things going the way they are is unsustainable, and so some sort of broader solution that can be scaled into the future with less work is needed.

I'm not a fan of the WoW models of borrowed power or AA-style character growth, and I don't think their design philosophy allows for carbon copies, but they also need to do something, and it'll require thinking outside of the box to solve.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

just do a level squish, you could cut twenty or thirty levels out of ARR easy and/or make old expansions 5 levels