Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I really hope Chicago put up 10 goals on Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Poor Trent Cull. Spent 15 years working his way up through the minors coaching ranks to finally get a shot at an NHL assistant job only to be fired halfway though his first season because Rutherford didn't know his boss had a second year on his contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

VOTE1 posted:

I really hope Chicago put up 10 goals on Tuesday.

Let’s pick a different team to crush the Canucks. Literally any other team.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Poor Trent Cull. Spent 15 years working his way up through the minors coaching ranks to finally get a shot at an NHL assistant job only to be fired halfway though his first season because Rutherford didn't know his boss had a second year on his contract.

Is he the guy in charge of the Canucks PK? Because if yes I don’t feel bad for him.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

HookShot posted:

Is he the guy in charge of the Canucks PK? Because if yes I don’t feel bad for him.

Nah I think that’s Mike Yeo…

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/taj1944/status/1617268248000749569?t=d-veGmzXQSrAz48DpKXURw&s=19

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThomasDrance/status/1617267010278428673

Lmao

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Lol this reminds me of my buddy who once got fired one week after getting a PIP

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

trying to remake the Canucks into a defensively oriented team with that roster is going to be hilarious and frustrate the gently caress out of their young stars

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Most notably in his comments he was talking about the progression of young players, he name dropped Hoglander and Podkolzin, both of whom have been in the AHL for all of the past month. Not sure what Boudreau could've done there.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Most notably in his comments he was talking about the progression of young players, he name dropped Hoglander and Podkolzin, both of whom have been in the AHL for all of the past month. Not sure what Boudreau could've done there.

shoulda been spending his days grinding down in abbotsford

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

shoulda been spending his days grinding down in abbotsford

Also Rick Tocchet has been linked to the Canucks for weeks. Do they honestly expect people to believe this was a decision made in the past week?

Also he still didn't apologize to Bruce directly. Rutherford was mostly just venting about how the media take his comments about "no structure" and run with them so he'll shut up now. Great dude.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Are coaches etc covered under any unfair dismissal laws, which I presume are a thing in Canada if even they are one of the easiest things in the world to circumvent

Just the laziest "here's some vague subjective KPI I got minuted in our meeting which he failed so therefore it's not unfair" energy from Rutherford. At least benning was just clownshoes incompetent, Rutherford smells like a real piece of work

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
https://twitter.com/HandsxmeRob/sta...s1_c10&ref_url=

Lmao. Calgary fan buys lightning jersey to throw on the ice.

Canadian fans continue to be a gift to all humanity like the fire from Prometheus.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

aejix posted:

Are coaches etc covered under any unfair dismissal laws, which I presume are a thing in Canada if even they are one of the easiest things in the world to circumvent

I don't think anyone is saying Boudreau is being wrongfully dismissed. You can point right at the standings if you need evidence. It's just been hugely disrespectful for a guy with a long track record of coaching in the NHL. I've never heard of a team clearly hiring a new coach before they fired the old one. It's just laughably rude in any context.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

ThinkTank posted:

I don't think anyone is saying Boudreau is being wrongfully dismissed. You can point right at the standings if you need evidence. It's just been hugely disrespectful for a guy with a long track record of coaching in the NHL. I've never heard of a team clearly hiring a new coach before they fired the old one. It's just laughably rude in any context.

Oh yeah I don't think he's been wrongly dismissed in that sense, for same reason you stated. Agree with the rest too

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Let’s pick a different team to crush the Canucks. Literally any other team.

They play Seattle on Wednesday.

Now that's one I wish I had tickets to now.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/FightOwensFight/status/1617271441463853062

That's right.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Continuing convo from the GDT thread on the Devils, but their play is definitely concerning this month. If you take away their time and space, they seem to really not know how to break out, they just chip the puck in and try to go get it but lose the board battles, or they continue to make risky passes through the middle that get picked off.

I still love this team and think they can figure it out, but they definitely need to add help at forward since the bottom six has completely dried up, and getting Marino back and maybe Luke Hughes in tow will be really nice I think.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens have looked a lot better with Petry back in the lineup

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I still remember how upset Dallas fans were when Hitchcock got fired
or how upset Philly fans were when Hitchcock got fired
or how upset Columbus fans were when Hitchcock got fired
or how upset St Louis fans were when Hitchcock got fired

Just a totally normal thing.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oilers fans were definitely not upset when Hitchcock went away!

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

People aren’t really upset the Boudreau was canned. The team sucks and it’s pretty reasonable to fire a coach when they aren’t accomplishing your goals

The real problem is that management and ownership are setting insane, unobtainable goals for a roster they built. It’s like giving someone a Yaris and then firing people when they aren’t competing with Ferraris in races

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Most of the time, fans will go along with coaching changes. It's because they're done after the team has been performing poorly for a stretch and everyone goes, "eh, probably for the best". Vancouver has been mediocre, but no one's going to get a lot more out of that team and you don't string your coach along for 4 weeks like that. He knows the deal with around 2000 games played and coached. Just do it with dignity.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Oh he is pissed about this lol

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
Devils just surpassed their point total from last year, I wonder what the earliest that happened was. I saw 17-18 Avs did it on Jan. 13.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://youtu.be/1aws0kvaBbM

Bruce Boudreau rules

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

stab posted:

Oh he is pissed about this lol

As many of us are!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

crashlanding posted:

Devils just surpassed their point total from last year, I wonder what the earliest that happened was. I saw 17-18 Avs did it on Jan. 13.

1994 sharks did it on Dec 3.

Granted they only had 24 points to beat.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Powershift posted:

1994 sharks did it on Dec 3.

Granted they only had 24 points to beat.

Still cool, when you're that bad you still have to, you know, improve

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

https://twitter.com/BatchHockey/status/1617267335609618432?s=20&t=RdCaz4geaqxU33moOAniPQ

Sorry if Vancouver can't handle HONESTY

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

aejix posted:

Just the laziest "here's some vague subjective KPI I got minuted in our meeting which he failed so therefore it's not unfair" energy from Rutherford. At least benning was just clownshoes incompetent, Rutherford smells like a real piece of work

Coach and GM contacts are guaranteed. He gets paid to not show up now.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

He's also still getting paid.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

crashlanding posted:

Still cool, when you're that bad you still have to, you know, improve

Somebody tell that to the Coyotes!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i mean im sure GMs reach out to other candidates while they currently have an HC so that they can fire the HC and have a new guy come in.
what they dont do is publicly say they are reaching out to other candidates and have basically the entire hockey world know who the replacement is for 2 weeks before firing the guy
again, who cares if tochett couldnt coach for a couple of weeks? Oh no, the assistant might lose games!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

Continuing convo from the GDT thread on the Devils, but their play is definitely concerning this month. If you take away their time and space, they seem to really not know how to break out, they just chip the puck in and try to go get it but lose the board battles, or they continue to make risky passes through the middle that get picked off.

I still love this team and think they can figure it out, but they definitely need to add help at forward since the bottom six has completely dried up, and getting Marino back and maybe Luke Hughes in tow will be really nice I think.

Yeah hopefully the ASG break does them some good and they get back to what makes them a good 5v5 team, fun to ride hot goaltending in the meantime though I guess!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

i mean im sure GMs reach out to other candidates while they currently have an HC so that they can fire the HC and have a new guy come in.
what they dont do is publicly say they are reaching out to other candidates and have basically the entire hockey world know who the replacement is for 2 weeks before firing the guy
again, who cares if tochett couldnt coach for a couple of weeks? Oh no, the assistant might lose games!

It's also going from a good coach in a bad situation to a bad coach in the same situation.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Tocchet is very dumb. But also; at least he has no moral compass so you also cannot trust him.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wonderllama posted:

Tocchet is very dumb. But also; at least he has no moral compass so you also cannot trust him.

Hey, he may at least live in Vancouver instead of commute from Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Hey, he may at least live in Vancouver instead of commute from Seattle.

He can't live in Seattle. There's blackout restrictions now.