Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

My company hasn't forced a complete return to office, but I also work in a lab so I've been going in 1-3 days a week since the beginning of the pandemic.

That said, I used to work for Starbucks corporate and still interact with them daily as part of my job, and it's been fascinating having somewhat of an inside view into their return to office. Apparently Howard Schultz just dashed off the email about it without much thought. They have about 1000 too few desks since they rearranged the office as it was planned for permanent employee choice hybrid and there's a major lack of parking (plenty of public transit but people just love their cars) so people are flipping out.

It also has me a little worried about my division requiring a certain number of days in the office since we're intertwined with Starbucks. Yes I have to go in for my hands-on work, but it's also my choice and my responsibility when I go in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When we first started return to work after the pandemic, they tried making the tech people come in for two weeks and then out for four, staggered by team so they would have full desk utilization.

That was cancelled even before it went into effect. Such a bad idea.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Whenever working out of the office comes up, I point out that most people I work with live in a different time zone, so I wouldn't actually see anyone I work with.

I actually prefer to work out of an office when they make it not suck: When I have my own actual office in the office, with a door that closes. Instead, most modern corporate offices seem to be open floor plan ultra high density seating where your desk is barely bigger than a high schooler's desk, and you're crammed in nearly shoulder to shoulder (with people you don't even work with because see above).

Commute mostly wasn't a problem because I'd work like 6:30 to 3 and avoid rush out most of the time, but I see why anyone with kids who can't work flexibly hates driving into an office. If I try to be work before 7 AM, it's a 15 minute drive. If I tried to get into work at exactly 9 AM, it would be a 60 minute drive.

Working from home does save me hundreds a month, my office is downtown in a city with a lot of great food in walking distance, and it's really difficult to say no to $20 ramen for lunch, $20 sushi, etc.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

smackfu posted:

I understand it’s traumatizing to see a floor of empty desks when you just paid the real estate bill but at some point that’s just mismanagement.

It's not about money. If it were about money almost every employee would be WFH because that's far cheaper than paying for real estate and infrastructure to put them in. It's about feeling powerful.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's not about money. If it were about money almost every employee would be WFH because that's far cheaper than paying for real estate and infrastructure to put them in. It's about feeling powerful.

Yeah, this is why my boss has stonewalled me on getting a part time deal in one of the local work sites even though I have asked to be in office a couple days a week. They charge an expense for it to out cost center. So instead I am expected to beg a branch manager of one of our retail locations for a spot to work if I should ever need to be on the company’s physical infrastructure or if my power goes out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Most leases are for multiple years though, and trying to sublet offices that were built-to-suit isn't really feasible right now. Living this as our company opened our brand new, taking-up-two-whole-floor office in downtown Minneapolis in March 2020. :facepalm:

cats
May 11, 2009
I just started a new job for a defense contractor and I was surprised at how open they are to wfh, and how many people take advantage of it. I guess I thought that with all the security stuff, they'd use that as an excuse to keep people in the office. but I had people asking me on my second day when I was going to be remote, and I was like, uhhh I barely have anything to do right now (took over a week to get access to all the software I needed). we have an occasional mandatory in-office day but not very often.

at my previous job most of the engineers were involved in production support so it made sense for us to be in the office. wfh was an option but it was definitely viewed as an occasional treat, so to speak.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

smackfu posted:

When we first started return to work after the pandemic, they tried making the tech people come in for two weeks and then out for four, staggered by team so they would have full desk utilization.

That was cancelled even before it went into effect. Such a bad idea.

lol "after the pandemic"

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I work for a company with over 50k employees, but at a satellite office with only 7 people. I literally tell my 6 reports (researchers) that performance is measured by delivering technical milestones and everything else is noise. End of story.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My company has a shitload of very prime real estate and a ton more of less-than-prime. Office parks and such. We've been slowly shedding the larger facilities that are far out and not accessible via public transit before the pandemic started.

Last year they sent out an email that was basically "yo, make sure you update where you home office is in Workday. In 90 days we're doing a census and culling all non-prime and non-contractually-obligated real estate" and they did. Traded in an entire five story building that 15 years prior would house 1500 employees for a single floor in a smaller building above a metro station that can seat like 50. Closed dozens of smaller satellite offices.

This past year they've sent out tons of surveys about returning to the office. I responded to every one of them with "I'm not going to, you can't make me, and if you try I'm going elsewhere" and apparently a very large portion of the company did as well. Fuckin' nobody wants to return to the commuting hell of DC and we all know we have options.

I deliberately live and work on metro connected locations and have by far the easiest commute to my client (literally walk outside -> hop on bus -> at door 10 minutes later) and I still don't ever plan on going back on a regular basis. I do 2-3 times a month, for typically a half or three quarters day each time and only to accomplish things that are better in-person like client meetings.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

dxt posted:

lol "after the pandemic"

I mean it is endemic now and the healthcare system has made adjustments to deal with it. The disease sucks but it’s here to stay and if you are waiting for the genie to go back into the bottle before you go back to life as normal then you will never leave your spider hole again.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Midjack posted:

They just want worker asses in seats in the building. Whose asses exactly doesn't matter at all.

Oh that's entirely obvious. I just think it's funny how completely their external narrative ("It's better for collaboration!") breaks down when the rest of reality exerts force upon it.

My last company (just changed jobs for this and other reasons) has also been pushing a hybrid return to office, with the stated desire that everyone on a team pick the same days so that collaboration can happen. Except every team has fully remote and geographically disconnected members, who before the pandemic were absolutely left out of important conversations and decision making, because they were remote and everyone in the office would just have a proximity based conversation about something. My team actively experimented and came up with ways to be collaborative and productive; it took us some effort and not all of our ideas turned out to be good, but we figured it out and worked well together. And nobody was left out!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In theory we were supposed to 'return' (or in my case 'start going', as I just started this job in November) to the office at the start of the year, but no one seems inclined to press the issue. I'm the only one of my team in this state, and almost the only one in this time zone, so yeah, it would be pretty pointless for collaboration reasons.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

When I was growing up I was the kid that knew computers, so I would always jump at the opportunity to generate significant brownie points for a task that would take me 3 seconds. Those opportunities have diminished with age now that old people also generally know how to computer, if you still want a job.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
We're supposed to be back two out of five days, on a schedule we decide. I've seen my director go into the office exactly twice in the last six months, and my direct boss just doesn't show often enough that as far as I'm concerned she doesn't care. There's a few die hards who prefer coming in but their work is much more hands on. The rest of us can just not show up whenever. Our COVID policy is to not show up if we have any headache/sniffle/tiredness/whatever, which is used liberally because many of us have things like allergies and kids in school.

It's strange because my office loving loves picayune nitpicky micromanaging bullshit "policies" that they've wielded to kill any sense of moral or pride in this job with a thousand small cuts. This relaxed WFH scheme is a real departure.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Inner Light posted:

When I was growing up I was the kid that knew computers, so I would always jump at the opportunity to generate significant brownie points for a task that would take me 3 seconds. Those opportunities have diminished with age now that old people also generally know how to computer, if you still want a job.

That has not been my experience for anything beyond the most basic excel stuff. It’s nice to be needed, but drat those 3 seconds add up sometimes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah just yesterday my wife (who is not a tech support person and is fairly senior) was venting about being called over to a higher up's office to help them straighten out some margins in word. Extremely basic poo poo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah you never want to be the computer guy.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

therobit posted:

I mean it is endemic now and the healthcare system has made adjustments to deal with it. The disease sucks but it’s here to stay and if you are waiting for the genie to go back into the bottle before you go back to life as normal then you will never leave your spider hole again.

it's not and the healthcare system hasn't. Life shouldn't be back to normal because it's not, pretending it's still 2019 will not fix the problem.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

dxt posted:

it's not and the healthcare system hasn't. Life shouldn't be back to normal because it's not, pretending it's still 2019 will not fix the problem.

Agreed. It's important to remember that the case counts are down because we've stopped testing in a lot of areas, and the now-prevalent home rapid antigen test results are typically not reported/recorded unless the patient lands in the hospital.

Even with the reduced testing and lower visibility to positive test results due to home testing being available (I'm not saying RATs are bad, just pointing out that positive test results from them do not get back to any health authorities under the majority of circumstances), we still see case-counts comparable to all but the spike periods. Here's the numerical count for the current week; the graph conveniently puts it over the top of the middle line when it's displayed, so I screencapped it separately to not obscure data.

Just because people are only dying by the busload and not the boatload doesn't make this pandemic even remotely over. We are still firmly in the thick of things and the disease is still mutating rapidly. It's understandable for people to not want to "leave their spider hole," as you put it, when 'endemic' doesn't mean 'safe'. If bombs were endemic to my city's airspace, I still wouldn't come out of the bunker. :v:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think it's this too. My relatively new boss laid off everyone at this place around 2 years ago but that didn't stop him from moving the office to the 20th floor of a busy part of downtown during the height of covid. This place can't be worth it with just the 3 other people that work beside me.

RadiRoot fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 22, 2023

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
As much as I'd love to stay in my spider hole most of my job can't be done remotely, so I strap on my n95 and go to the office most days. Of course I'm the only one who does, but I'm also the only one who isn't out sick for a week plus at a time multiple times a year, wonder if that's related????

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

dxt posted:

As much as I'd love to stay in my spider hole most of my job can't be done remotely, so I strap on my n95 and go to the office most days. Of course I'm the only one who does, but I'm also the only one who isn't out sick for a week plus at a time multiple times a year, wonder if that's related????

Impossible. Germ theory is only that; a theory. Instead, the likely culprit is spontaneous generation of thetans inside your coworkers due to their 5G interference preventing them from adhering to the prosperity doctrine. If they wore a copper bracelet, they'd have a better shot at being healthy as long as they didn't forget their colloidal silver, but the best option would be a cycle of some bloodletting and purging. Only then can they be safe from Y2K.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Magnetic North posted:

Impossible. Germ theory is only that; a theory. Instead, the likely culprit is spontaneous generation of thetans inside your coworkers due to their 5G interference preventing them from adhering to the prosperity doctrine. If they wore a copper bracelet, they'd have a better shot at being healthy as long as they didn't forget their colloidal silver, but the best option would be a cycle of some bloodletting and purging. Only then can they be safe from Y2K.

Look at this absolute quack

Not a single essential oil

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Magnetic North posted:

I knew it.

Everyone in the UK has just stopped talking about COVID, maybe because we killed all the old people early on idk.

Seeing as my trains are on the busiest lines to the busiest area, and then I go to a busy office and a busier bar, I just gave up on masks and have so far avoided a second case. I have had 4 vaccine shots though, and my thetans are aligned.

I did get the flu though and woah that sucked even with the vaccine taking the edge off the symptoms.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Renegret posted:

Look at this absolute quack

Not a single essential oil

And don't forget the magnetic mattress!!!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have a new, 100% WFH job and they sent me a laptop with 1366 * 768 resolution and 8gb RAM in TYOOL 2022. This has to be illegal, somehow.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

dpkg chopra posted:

I have a new, 100% WFH job and they sent me a laptop with 1366 * 768 resolution and 8gb RAM in TYOOL 2022. This has to be illegal, somehow.

Are you required to use that laptop? I would seriously consider looking for another new job if I was required to use hardware that lovely. You could hook it up to an external monitor to get a better resolution, but with 8 Gb ram I hope you're not doing much on it besides reviewing documents.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

Are you required to use that laptop? I would seriously consider looking for another new job if I was required to use hardware that lovely. You could hook it up to an external monitor to get a better resolution, but with 8 Gb ram I hope you're not doing much on it besides reviewing documents.

Yeah, it's just document review and I have an external monitor so it should be OK, it was just funny booting it up and I kept thinking maybe my glasses were dirty or something until it clicked what was happening.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

bottom tier hp/dell/lenovo laptops are a sign the it manager reports to the cfo

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How old is that laptop? I’ve got a 11 or 12 year old Dell E6220 with those specs.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

in a well actually posted:

It's 100% something like this. it's a fairly recent Latitude with a decent processor, it honestly feels like it cost more for Dell to make them like this.

It's fine for my purposes as long as I have a real monitor, so whatever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is it a touchscreen? I don't know why but I find the idea of a monitor with a resolution like that having touch capability pretty amusing.

Just realized my work latitude had touch capability not too long ago. I never ever ever use that poo poo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Quoted for loving truth

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

also not unreasonable to assume the path to talking with the ceo means going through the cfo

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

dpkg chopra posted:

When my laptop upgrade was low on ram I pulled out the company credit card and bought as much as the laptop could handle. When it was too slow and IT told me I was not due for an upgrade, I told them my hard drive was making occasional clicking noises, and got an upgrade within a week.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I think I got a second hand laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I held off replacing my laptop for 2 years beyond the scheduled replace date because mine works and I’ve heard horror stories about the new ones.

Late last week I noticed it suddenly didn’t shut all the way and the part near the trackpad looked a little bulgy. Now I have a morning swap out scheduled for tomorrow and it’s one of my busiest weeks of the year. The IT gods did not approve of my hubris, it appears.