Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"nandato?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY9YNF5MMQo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"..." is common in video games because they, uniquely among mediums I can think of, are dialogue-only while, for much of their history, not having voicing. In a book, if you want to say a character paused without saying something, you can just say that, in non-dialogue prose. In a movie, you can just depict it. But in an SNES-era game, your options for conveying that sort of thing are limited. Hence "..."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

if i am reading dialogue out loud i will say "dot dot dot" and "exclam exclam"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:golgo:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Was there ever a title card that said “…” in a silent movie

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I miss the days when Japanese games were horribly translated

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Feldegast42 posted:

This guy are sick

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

All your base are belong to us!!! XDXDXD

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

"..." is common in video games because they, uniquely among mediums I can think of, are dialogue-only while, for much of their history, not having voicing. In a book, if you want to say a character paused without saying something, you can just say that, in non-dialogue prose. In a movie, you can just depict it. But in an SNES-era game, your options for conveying that sort of thing are limited. Hence "..."

Relatively heavy use of ellipses is also just common in Japanese writing, and I've seen a number of professional translators talk about how seeing them uncritically preserved in localization is a common red flag.

https://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-japanese-ellipsis-usage-and-english-translation/

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The industry's dark secret is that no Japanese game has actually been localized since 2002 and all the translators have just been totally winging it for the past 20 years.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

fridge corn posted:

Starting playing persona 4 and it's pretty good but nowhere near as slick and stylish as persona 5 :(

P4 Golden is still pretty awesome, if quite clunky in places. The soundtrack is top tier and it has its heart in the right place (save from a few scenes that are uh... not that great and haven't exactly aged well). The story is way better than P5 but the style is nowhere near as polished obviously. Really want to see how they do 6, when they get round to it.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I started Persona 3 Portable today as DICKN BALLS-chan (as opposed to the usual DICKN BALLS-kun). Can't say much about it in 30 minutes, but I dig that school has a vocal track.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1616978792995495936

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ah so we're back on the mobile game ads now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Feldegast42 posted:

I don't

I would like to play an English version of WA2 that isn't gibberish

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't

I would like to play an English version of WA2 that isn't gibberish

:hai:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/jnyboy/status/1617027485950005250?s=20&t=fCPI0rywZlJftCG3-81ufA

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's because the Japanese are hosed up and talk wrong.

yuuuuuuup

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I finally finished that bastard quest, it only took me 4 hours

The reward is an item called Divine Elixir

It has zero uses :shepface:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Motto posted:

Relatively heavy use of ellipses is also just common in Japanese writing, and I've seen a number of professional translators talk about how seeing them uncritically preserved in localization is a common red flag.

https://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-japanese-ellipsis-usage-and-english-translation/

You're sometimes limited if your game needs the exact same number of lines or if cutscene considerations mean you can't really change this without introducing excessively long pauses (iirc XC2 had issues with that).

There's also an argument for preserving voice patterns like this but that's more a philosophical argument about translation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not all localized JRPGs have such profuse old lady sounds and earlier voiced Square-Enix games did not so it's a clearly intentional choice on behalf of the developers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

I finally finished that bastard quest, it only took me 4 hours

The reward is an item called Divine Elixir

It has zero uses :shepface:

more like the last remnant of your will to play it!!!!!!!!!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i really liked persona 4 when i first played it as a 20yo but whenever i try to revisit it i like it less and less, and I've come to the conclusion that frankly it's a bad game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Looper posted:

i really liked persona 4 when i first played it as a 20yo but whenever i try to revisit it i like it less and less, and I've come to the conclusion that frankly it's a bad game

This

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

At what point do you simply not shut the forums down as they've become a massive liability to your company?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I definitely get the p5 criticisms but I think a lot of that stuff including the homophobic nonsense is just as bad or worse in p4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Infinitum posted:

At what point do you simply not shut the forums down as they've become a massive liability to your company?

Equally likely a bunch of intelligence agencies told them to keep it open as a honeypot

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

haveblue posted:

Equally likely a bunch of intelligence agencies told them to keep it open as a honeypot

Honestly could see that happening, cause they literally can't help themselves :psyduck:

SA used to straight up just have :filez: everywhere before it all got shut down, as it had become a massive liability for the site
(Remember kids if you delete roms in 24 hours the FBI can't arrest you. It's the law)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"Mig 29 vs Su 27" - the greatest thread in the history of the warthunder forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think I physically have the mental capacity or patience for hours upon hours of setup and exposition before the game/story properly start these days. The thought of going back and playing P3/4/5 again fills me with dread as much as I loved them at the time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

F.D. Signifier posted:

"Mig 29 vs Su 27" - the greatest thread in the history of the warthunder forums, locked by a moderator after everyone who posted in it is black bagged

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

what keeps me from trying out p5 royale is the memory that your talking cat friend who lives in your backpack comments on everything that happens. you’re in class and your teacher reminds you that next week is exam week, your cat friend pops out and says “exam week is next week, huh?”

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i hate that loving cat

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Better than the Bear.

Mascot power ranking
Aigis>>>Morgana>>>>>Teddie

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017