Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I never saw the models so I retract myself, Mage Knight is the only valid promotion.

:kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

imho without the spoiler chars

This is based on nothing but feels and how much they die/massacre the other team

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Is there a lore reason for Leif giving out weapon proficiencies like crazy? I never played Thracia but I’m guessing that’s a nod to that game?

It almost feels worth it to give every main roster member a training session to pick up all the weapons for experimenting purposes. I love how easy it is to train bond ranks too

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Carlosologist posted:

Is there a lore reason for Leif giving out weapon proficiencies like crazy? I never played Thracia but I’m guessing that’s a nod to that game?

It almost feels worth it to give every main roster member a training session to pick up all the weapons for experimenting purposes. I love how easy it is to train bond ranks too

You better do it quick

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Barreft posted:

imho without the spoiler chars

This is based on nothing but feels

Lapis and Citrenne should be in the B tier imo but I mostly agree

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Einander posted:

You know, I thought my Yunaka was freakishly blessed on Strength and Defense for a Thief, sitting at 14 and 13 at level 16, but Zelkov is level 17 with 15/14. I guess they're just like that in this game!

Steel. It's Steel for Swords and Lances to get their magical weapons, and Silver for Axes and Bows. Sadly, the Levin Sword and Radiant Bow are good and the other two are strictly worse; the Hurricane Axe in particular is pretty garbage, being range 1 locked and a Heavy weapon, so it can't double and it goes second.

Hurricane Axe is at least a 20 might effective weapon so you can murder the poo poo out of fliers even with trash magic, but yeah, it's not great.

Carlosologist posted:

In FE4 he promoted to Master Knight, a class that could use every weapon type.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Carlosologist posted:

In FE4, Leif promoted to Master Knight, a mounted class that could use every weapon in the game except the legendary weapons, high end light magic, and dark magic (which was enemy only). They're nodding to that, in 5 he was a very generic mediocre infantry swordlord.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Barreft posted:

10 would be safest, but I've found more often than not I'm depending on 8 people in random skirmishes that show up so I've just gravitated towards 8 mains. chapter 18 im doing now for example has 12 people, but it's way easier then the skirmishes around me which are mostly 8 people.

Hope that makes sense? I'm playing and typing

It makes sense and was the kind of advice I was hoping to get, thank you!

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

theshim posted:

fun fact about Normal, because I'm the only person stupid enough to play it: it has a hidden 20 point hit/avoid penalty for enemies

Are you sure it's not the opposite and Hard mode gives enemies a hidden 20% hit/avoid bonus? Cause it really feels that way

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shiny777 posted:

In FE4, Leif promoted to Master Knight, a mounted class that could use every weapon in the game except the legendary weapons, high end light magic, and dark magic (which was enemy only). They're nodding to that, in 5 he was a very generic mediocre infantry swordlord.
in fe5 he basically didnt have a promotion, he didnt gain a new weapon type and his promoted class still counts as unpromoted for exp purposes. its because fe5 takes place before fe4 gen 2. now as to why the other characters who join unpromoted in fe4 can promote in fe5, like nanna, uhhhhhhh

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Scrap Dragon posted:

Are you sure it's not the opposite and Hard mode gives enemies a hidden 20% hit/avoid bonus? Cause it really feels that way
Nah, I did the math. It's really stupid!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I reclassed Panette into a General to replace Louis, however

she could have done with a slightly less black color scheme I think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

funfact, if you reclass alear into a general their armor has the red/blue color scheme

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

funfact, if you reclass alear into a general their armor has the red/blue color scheme

dang... that's not bad

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
hortensia stop loving killing my units

i've had to reset time like 4 times now
this last time because she decided to hit a 10% crit chance :argh:

edit: SHE DID IT AGAIN, ON ALEAR THIS TIME. :argh: :argh: :argh:

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 23, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

e: wait what I was just looking up mods and whats this?

https://gamebanana.com/mods/423687

I'm absolutely not looking but lol

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 23, 2023

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
More Like Dank Alear

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The fact that this game is just in Unity means it's gonna get modded like crazy, huh?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

The fact that this game is just in Unity means it's gonna get modded like crazy, huh?

Yeah there's tons of yuzu/ryujinx mods out

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'll just write a note in my mind to never make Anna into a Warrior

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the outfit isnt that weird if shes a warrior, its basically just a tanktop. you can see it in the bottom screenshot in the image you posted. its not like the fates warrior outfits where everyone was running around with their rear end out

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endorph posted:

the outfit isnt that weird if shes a warrior, its basically just a tanktop. you can see it in the bottom screenshot in the image you posted. its not like the fates warrior outfits where everyone was running around with their rear end out

I just found it funny that on that site the first two made and important mods were "Dark Alear" and "Make preteen less sexual"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Don't worry, the next mod will be to make Ike beefier

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

Don't worry, the next mod will be to make Ike beefier

games only been out officially two days and theyre starting, you're kind of right. Mods on this game are gonna be bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh, itll also make stuff like randomizers easier. should even be possible to make non playable characters playable. if its unity, maybe even more elaborate stuff like adding supports or paired endings.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Let's tell you a story.

Nat20 decided to play this game on Maddening Classic because he thinks he's God's gift to Fire Emblem.

Nat20 is also a massive simp for Fire Emblem so he bought all the Day 1 DLC straight away.

Tiki's paralogue unlocked just after chapter 6, so Nat, being the powergaming little munchkin that he is went to do it because "Ah, won't having another emblem be a really big advantage going forward for character progression?"

So he went to the paralogue and saw that enemies were level 11 to the level 7-8 army that he'd pieced together.

"No matter" said Nat, "I'm really good at Fire Emblem, this will be no problem" and in he went.

Things were going well until Nat walked into Tiki's fortress. Reinforcements appeared behind him!

And not just any reinforcements, super coked up dragon reinforcements that ignore defense and res, with a base attack of 20.

Through luck and engages Nat managed to beat the reinforcements and gather his crew.

Then there was another wave after three turns.

Nat, through sheer luck managed to beat them back, then began to regroup.

Then there was another wave after three turns.

And another.

And another.

It was at this point Nat realised he might be in a hell of his own making.

See the aim of the paralogue is for you to push into the fortress, dealing with the reinforcments as they come in. But because Nat was level 8 and this was Maddening, it took a full turn of all his characters acting to beat them.

By the time Nat realised he was hosed, he was already too deep in, to the tune of an hour and a half or so.

Each wave was the same, two humans, two dragons.

And so Nat kept defending.

And defending.

And his divine pulse charges slowly got sapped away.

This went on for 30 turns.

Until these guys showed up:

A different pack?

Yes!

After a full 30 loving turns of defending, the enemy ran out of reinforcements.

Another 30 turns later on a single pulse charge, he managed to beat the map.

The lesson here is, don't be like Nat.

Just quit out and do something else.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terper posted:

I reclassed Panette into a General to replace Louis, however

she could have done with a slightly less black color scheme I think

Ooh, vantablack armor

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't wait for the mods that let me use the Spider-man, Goku, and CJ from San Andreas Engages.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

Let's tell you a story.

lol

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't wait for the mods that let me use the Spider-man, Goku, and CJ from San Andreas Engages.

You joke but..

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Fire Emblem Fortnite Engage can't happen soon enough

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm pretty sure relay trial matchmaking is broken. I only ever found somebody else's map once.

Offline trials are uh, a big commitment. Is there a way to be able to take a break in the middle of them, or do you have to do it all in one go?

Finally, the outcome of emblem training doesn't actually matter, right?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
drat way for the game to excite me and then almost immediately let me down. Chapter 10-11ish spoilers although I imagine most are well past that since I've been taking things slow: After the warning message at the start of chapter 10 and then losing all the rings/time crystal, I thought "oh awesome so I'm going to have to play a bunch of chapters without the engage mechanic, time reversal, or the home base. That's ballsy as hell I love it..." and then like five turns into chapter 11 the game goes "lol jk, here's your time crystal back and some new rings." Then as soon as it ends it dumps you right back in the Somniel. :downs:

My bad for thinking the game might actually be willing to do anything interesting, I guess.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

theshim posted:

fun fact about Normal, because I'm the only person stupid enough to play it: it has a hidden 20 point hit/avoid penalty for enemies

huh. i thought that was just the weapon triangle being focused on the break mechanic rather than the usual hit/avoid via weapon rank system we've had since shadow dragon.

i'm starting to feel like i will have a not good time when i try this on hard

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow this game is a lot harder than I expected.

I'm not really complaining but I've had to give almost every map a couple of tries, I think I only had to do that for 5 or 6 in Three Houses.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Augus posted:

the emblem bond conversations are so half-assed I don’t know why they even bothered lol

“I’m glad to have you fighting by my side, Micaiah!”
“I’m proud of how far you’ve come, Yunaka”
BOND LEVEL UP!

“I feel like I’ve gotten stronger, Marth”
“With the power of friendship, anything is possible, Alear.”
BOND LEVEL UP!

Some of them are funny, like Dimitri swearing Anna reminds him of someone he knows (it's Also Anna).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i like the metanarrative with the choice of emblems. the ones you get to begin with are all from the Old Games, plus micaiah, and then the pivotal turning point everyone has put in spoiler tags gives you lyn (the first game released outside japan) and lucina (because awakening unironically saved the series and this game knows it)

i do think marth gets way too much drat screen time though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sydin posted:

drat way for the game to excite me and then almost immediately let me down. Chapter 10-11ish spoilers although I imagine most are well past that since I've been taking things slow: After the warning message at the start of chapter 10 and then losing all the rings/time crystal, I thought "oh awesome so I'm going to have to play a bunch of chapters without the engage mechanic, time reversal, or the home base. That's ballsy as hell I love it..." and then like five turns into chapter 11 the game goes "lol jk, here's your time crystal back and some new rings." Then as soon as it ends it dumps you right back in the Somniel. :downs:

My bad for thinking the game might actually be willing to do anything interesting, I guess.

i mean they couldnt really take the time crystal away for too long because itd gently caress over more casual players. i agree they could have at least waited a little longer to give you lucina and lyn tho. but idk, its still a neat moment. the prison section in thracia is also only like 2 chapters and people love that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lmao, Edelgard’s weapon art is called Atrocity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lmao, Edelgard’s weapon art is called Atrocity.

thats dimitri's!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The spoilered stuff owned bones, imo

Perfect execution no notes