Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Maybe it's a misunderstanding of how colorblindness works, but would a bright light in a particular hue or color help distinguish the pieces for sorting?

Maybe. But in general, the closer you can get to sunlight, the easier it is to differentiate the bricks. I can tell them all apart in good light. The worse the light, the harder to differentiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions for a mifigure display set-up for an Ikea Detolf? I usually go through Wicked Brick, but their minifigure stands are abusrd compared to their other offerings. It's $80 for one display stand... https://www.wickedbrick.com/en-us/products/display-podium-for-lego-minifigures-in-ikea-detolf-unit?variant=40843452842031

Why not just build stands out of 2x3 and 2x4 bricks? Can go transparent if you want. I just use the minifig stands since I think it looks nicer to have the tiled appearance, but you could either just have exposed studs or tile in transclear + 1x2 plates to stand on

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Maybe it's a misunderstanding of how colorblindness works, but would a bright light in a particular hue or color help distinguish the pieces for sorting?

absolutely helps me, but my spouse found bright light to cause a glare/reflection. So i would check some pieces under a lamp, hand to her and she'd move them into darker area and wed agree. Then again my eyes are going and I need bright light to read half the time

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's not that I can't tell the bricks apart it's that I can't match them to the color on the instructions.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.amazon.com/Lightblade-L...244&sr=8-1&th=1

This is very helpful for LEGO identification. One of the better lamps on the market.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you suggesting people spend 500 dollars to look at Legos?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Cojawfee posted:

Thought the same thing but I didn’t want to say anything and let people know I’m poor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The lego art set (and I assume the other mosaic sets) came with a special bag of pieces along with printed numbers to build a color key out of. I thought that was awesome and I feel like lego should make that standard for high end sets that have poor color contrast.

The colors in their instructions have been garbage since day one, but now they have so many shades they really gotta step things up a notch somewhere.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Finished the Creator 3 in 1 Viking longship. I didn't realize until I was researching that there was a Viking line of sets in ~2006.

Kind of surprised they're using bricks for the sail rather than the classic plasticky fabric like in the old pirate/imperial sets.

Also ended up replacing the heads with the classic : ) faces, maybe a little less personality but it's funnier to me that a Danish company makes a Viking playset and the Vikings all have the : ) expression.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Arcella posted:

Finished the Creator 3 in 1 Viking longship. I didn't realize until I was researching that there was a Viking line of sets in ~2006.

Kind of surprised they're using bricks for the sail rather than the classic plasticky fabric like in the old pirate/imperial sets.

It’s a trend started with last year’s Pirate Ship, that has a big brick built sail too.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 23, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think brick built sails are a really good idea for the 3-in-1s. More bricks to build with and less weird fabric things that will get hosed up in the big box of lego.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

4 x 4 x 4 mini builds, inspired by this Reddit post!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Yeah bricks make sense especially in a 3 in 1, or even just as a playset for kids, rather than something for adult nerds to build and put on a shelf forever.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
How was the viking 3-in-1 anyway? The pirate ship 3-in-1 was pretty great imo.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

4 x 4 x 4 mini builds, inspired by this Reddit post!

The submarine one is far and away my favorite of mine. I mean they are all amazing, but somehow that one is extra impressive.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

It was $60 or so when I got it. Probably just out of stock right now. Or a new model. I dunno.

e: https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B00FFYJIHC

Yeah, it's just out of stock right now.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 23, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Fun builds. I especially like the burger.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

How was the viking 3-in-1 anyway? The pirate ship 3-in-1 was pretty great imo.

The build felt a bit repetitive since it's symmetrical side to side and front to back, but it looks good on display like most sets with sails. The serpent felt like an afterthought.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
To continue on posting about starry night , I am shocked there's a 1x5 plate. I didn't even know Lego made these. Checked bricklink and it's only existed since 2021

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=78329#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you all remember the hit marvel studios neil gaiman joint that blew up theaters across the nation last summer, avengers infinity war, right?

lego made some sets about it, there was a polygon space ship and a big robot generic robot guy and this thing and this other thing. I took the two later sets and made this:

the mouth opens, very wide if needs be

more importantly, the tongue moves up and down

I need to take some better photos when I have better light

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

It was $60 or so when I got it. Probably just out of stock right now. Or a new model. I dunno.

e: https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B00FFYJIHC

Yeah, it's just out of stock right now.

Whenever something goes out of stock on Amazon there’s at least one vulture charging 10x the msrp in the hopes someone clicks on it. It’s really unbelievable Amazon even allows it.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Yeah, the colour differentiation in the background was really tough. The navy and aqua pieces were fine, but the three middle shades got very tricky to suss out. I downloaded the instructions and then cast them to my tv so they'd at least be bigger, but still. Only had two missing part scares and one time where I had to backtrack though.

Maybe they just need to print the colour codes on each step of something?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

The Voice of Labor posted:

you all remember the hit marvel studios neil gaiman joint that blew up theaters across the nation last summer, avengers infinity war, right?

Neil Gaiman was involved in the Eternals? I guess everybody strikes out sometimes.

Nice build, BTW.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I think the description of the film in question was facetiously incorrect. :ssh:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightblade-L...244&sr=8-1&th=1

This is very helpful for LEGO identification. One of the better lamps on the market.

In for 2

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Blue Moonlight posted:

I think the description of the film in question was facetiously incorrect. :ssh:

ohhh, there are so many super hero movies/shows that I can't keep track of them anymore.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

deoju posted:

ohhh, there are so many super hero movies/shows that I can't keep track of them anymore.

He did however write an Eternals mini-series in 2006 that may have inspired some elements of the film

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mastershakeman posted:

To continue on posting about starry night , I am shocked there's a 1x5 plate. I didn't even know Lego made these. Checked bricklink and it's only existed since 2021

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=78329#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

penguin van has 2!

radlum
May 13, 2013
I saw the modular Sanctum Santorum on discount at my local store. I think it looks good next to other modulars but I don’t want to add superheroes to my city. Any ideas on what to fill it with instead of the Marvel characters?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You could convert it into a museum maybe? Especially if you have soem of the old Egypt sets lying around to fill it with statues etc.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

radlum posted:

I saw the modular Sanctum Santorum on discount at my local store. I think it looks good next to other modulars but I don’t want to add superheroes to my city. Any ideas on what to fill it with instead of the Marvel characters?

The Aristocrats!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It sort of looks like a cozy hipster coffee shop inside

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Carbohydrates posted:

My second BrickNerd article went up on Friday: I was exceptionally honored to do an interview with the builder who inspired me to make cars, Jonathan Elliott!

https://bricknerd.com/home/the-need-for-speed-an-interview-with-jon-elliott-1-19-23

Hey this is awesome, thank you for sharing!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Maybe. But in general, the closer you can get to sunlight, the easier it is to differentiate the bricks. I can tell them all apart in good light. The worse the light, the harder to differentiate.

"All bricks are bley in the dark" - Benjamin Bricklin

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

mastershakeman posted:

Also in this years holiday village set, 2 in the trolley

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

The lego art set (and I assume the other mosaic sets) came with a special bag of pieces along with printed numbers to build a color key out of. I thought that was awesome and I feel like lego should make that standard for high end sets that have poor color contrast.

The colors in their instructions have been garbage since day one, but now they have so many shades they really gotta step things up a notch somewhere.
Lego thread: 50 shades of bley

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Chris Knight posted:

Lego thread: 50 shades of bley

:hmmyes:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
We need more whip and handcuff pieces, repeat, more whip and handcuff pieces

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The Boutique Hotel is clearly a facade for a S&M club since it has both handcuffs and a whip.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So anyways, I start blasting.