Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

: Create and post a custom character

Shiori was on a class trip to Patriot City when she stumbled upon a canister of ENERGY X, transforming her into the heartbreaking Tokimeki-Chan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTVO2EJch04

This took so much longer to do than I thought, lol. For some reason the model I'm using is really scaled down in the previews so I had to load up the Danger Room just to see how my skin alterations looked in game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
lmfao awesome

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arch Nemesis posted:

Shiori was on a class trip to Patriot City when she stumbled upon a canister of ENERGY X, transforming her into the heartbreaking Tokimeki-Chan!

This took so much longer to do than I thought, lol. For some reason the model I'm using is really scaled down in the previews so I had to load up the Danger Room just to see how my skin alterations looked in game

lmfao cool

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Arch Nemesis posted:

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Arch Nemesis posted:

Lmao cool!

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arch Nemesis posted:

Lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arch Nemesis posted:

lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Arch Nemesis posted:

loving awesome lmao

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

I see...

I'm sure this would make the game braindead, so he's only there if I get stuck. I might make a balanced custom team if I don't like the default crew.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

jesus, you're not done grinding for demi fiend yet so you have to do it in another game?

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Clawmydia posted:

I see...

I'm sure this would make the game braindead, so he's only there if I get stuck. I might make a balanced custom team if I don't like the default crew.

557000 prestige lmao

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaEWoHwzzbI

This game is nuts lol

Oof. Very Hard is actually hard using Minuteman. You really have to utilize the environment and kiting on the first level. Trying to play the tutorial bit like normal was guaranteed death for me.

Clawmydia fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 23, 2023

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Demi-Fiend is such a awesome and thrilling fight. Every moment girimekhala is in the fight is just pulse pounding. I just made it through two full loops and barely died unfortunately. I think I was really close but recarmdra did go off once unfortunately while I was testing stuff. I'll get it before too long

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I guess it was bound to happen eventually. I just wish it wasn't 50 minutes in to the fight lol. I only had the turns to pick a buff or debuff and I lost track of who was using dekaja and who was using dekunda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG9zpGtNxd0

By my napkin math Demi-Fiend had about 4k hp left, this was the 3rd loop and I had survived 5 gaea rages.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I can't fool with this anymore or I'll never actually start playing the game

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

herculon posted:

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

pmao

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I guess it was bound to happen eventually. I just wish it wasn't 50 minutes in to the fight lol. I only had the turns to pick a buff or debuff and I lost track of who was using dekaja and who was using dekunda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG9zpGtNxd0

By my napkin math Demi-Fiend had about 4k hp left, this was the 3rd loop and I had survived 5 gaea rages.

Brutal lol, of all the things to die to, the humble mamudoon

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

: Complete the game

: Complete the campaign with at least one custom character in your squad

Was originally going to try and finish it on Hard, but it got a little rough near the end and I switched back over to Normal. Might go back later and replay for the last trophy though

I love this game, but it's definitely got issues, and I figure a huge part of my affection for it is because I was the right age when I first played it. I'd messed around with custom characters a bit before but never actually took a serious character through the campaign. It makes the game way more fun, the default heroes are fine but they can be kind of underwhelming. I think I'll probably play the sequel some time soon, I never fully finished that one but I remember it being pretty good too. Good pick Larry!

Here's how I built up my custom hero by by the end:

I added two new powers during the campaign: Wild Gravity is a shield that deflects almost all incoming projectiles, and New Feeling alters an enemy's resistances so elemental attacks will hit much harder.

also his main attack has an acid element, and it only occurred to me after he was already complete that I should have named him Acid Byrne. oh well lol

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 24, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

Sub-Actuality posted:

Was originally going to try and finish it on Hard, but it got a little rough near the end and I switched back over to Normal. Might go back later and replay for the last trophy though

I love this game, but it's definitely got issues, and I figure a huge part of my affection for it is because I was the right age when I first played it. I'd messed around with custom characters a bit before but never actually took a serious character through the campaign. It makes the game way more fun, the default heroes are fine but they can be kind of underwhelming. I think I'll probably play the sequel some time soon, I never fully finished that one but I remember it being pretty good too. Good pick Larry!

I added two new powers during the campaign: Wild Gravity is a shield that deflects almost all incoming projectiles, and New Feeling alters an enemy's resistances so elemental attacks will hit much harder.

also his main attack has an acid element, and it only occurred to me after he was already complete that I should have named him Acid Byrne. oh well lol

Nice job!

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

hell yeah

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

also forgot how frustratingly slow some of the characters move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfYPl-SezH0

they did this on purpose. gently caress you ken

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

that's cool. I went in thinking you couldn't actually level your abilities up at all once you recruited a custom character. I might make some modifications if you can actually do that.

Shiori has been fun so far. I've only used her for one mission set and her effectiveness varies wildly depending on whether or not there are civilians and buildings. Her bombs torch everything (that's affected by piercing) but cause a lot of collateral damage. Been fun to play with and see where/how I can throw bombs safely

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Arch Nemesis posted:

that's cool. I went in thinking you couldn't actually level your abilities up at all once you recruited a custom character. I might make some modifications if you can actually do that.

Shiori has been fun so far. I've only used her for one mission set and her effectiveness varies wildly depending on whether or not there are civilians and buildings. Her bombs torch everything (that's affected by piercing) but cause a lot of collateral damage. Been fun to play with and see where/how I can throw bombs safely

lol I want to see this in action

and yeah you can add new powers and level up the ones you already have, both cost character points. You can't improve their basic stats though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I remember the sequel being worse because it's a lot "simpler" but replaying the first one 10+ years and less patience later, I'm thinking that may not be a bad thing lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I remember the sequel being worse because it's a lot "simpler" but replaying the first one 10+ years and less patience later, I'm thinking that may not be a bad thing lol

lol yeah I'm curious how it will compare

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol and congrats

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

also I have absolutely no memory of a Vietcong character, but Ken is listed for it in the credits. I must have missed it

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

: Defeat Fly Beelzebub

onto the endgame stuff. will try to tackle everything but demi-fiend (maybe save it for impmas). feels good to beat a JRPG in a month, game club has motivated me to play (good) games more :cheersdoge:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

it's a part of what makes real time rpgs so awful

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWR8w7wWRFM
: Defeat the Demi-Fiend (PLATINUM)

The video's gonna take some time to process but I've gotta go to class and I couldn't wait to post it. My heart's still loving pounding lol

I took him out on the third loop, I'm not sure how many attempts it was. Very glad I used my boy Cielo, I could not have done it without him.

Strategies I figured out along the way:

Demons will fully heal everyone after a certain amount of actions before they die, I didn't count but it had to be more than 20
Null Critical and Null Sleep don't trigger the instant Gaea Rage and are basically necessary.
If you completely dodge the sleep from Pixie and Parvati, you lose...
Unless you take out two demons at once before they're summoned, then you can swap to someone on the bench with close call set to just barely survive
Putting a buff and debuff on forces the demons to remove them, mostly wasting their turns unless demifiend crits. and he crits constantly lol
If you wait for the perfect timing, Cu Chulainn will Taunt on the end of the enemy turn allowing you to nuke them with Ragnarok. this was crucial for my strategy

Such a sick fight, I'm glad I went in without looking stuff up. It definitely does feel impossible until you learn how to survive

Final time:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What the gently caress was that other guy doing for 100 extra hours.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

The video's gonna take some time to process but I've gotta go to class and I couldn't wait to post it. My heart's still loving pounding lol

I took him out on the third loop, I'm not sure how many attempts it was. Very glad I used my boy Cielo, I could not have done it without him.

Demons will fully heal everyone after a certain amount of actions before they die, I didn't count but it had to be more than 20
Null Critical and Null Sleep don't trigger the instant Gaea Rage and are basically necessary.
Unless you take out two demons at once before they're summoned, then you can swap to someone on the bench with close call set to just barely survive
Putting a buff and debuff on forces the demons to remove them, mostly wasting their turns unless demifiend crits. and he crits constantly lol
If you wait for the perfect timing, Cu Chulainn will Taunt on the end of the enemy turn allowing you to nuke them with Ragnarok. this was crucial for my strategy

Such a sick fight, I'm glad I went in without looking stuff up. It definitely does feel impossible until you learn how to survive

Final time:

Incredibly badass :worship:

I did not have cielo built up at all so almost immediately got fed up with gaea rage lol, feels like he's almost required

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Final time:

drat, nicely done

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

What the gently caress was that other guy doing for 100 extra hours.

living his best life

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SMTV Demi-Fiend is definitely quite a bit easier just because you can actually get extra press turns from criticals and weaknesses on him and his demons. In DDS, you get your 3 turns and nothing else, ever lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Cool to see so many people getting that plat, it seems horrible lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Leadthumb posted:

Cool to see so many people getting that plat, it seems horrible lol

I was freaking out when I got him to spawn the last Parvati and saw that he was finally on red health. he really lived up to the hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I'm glad someone finished freedom force because it definitely wasn't going to be me.