Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Typo posted:

With sufficient migrants from the desolate wasteland that is Ontario Alberta might follow its hero Texas into having a competitive electoral environment instead of voting right 100% of the time outside of Calgary

Lol, what? Edmonton is called the “eye of Layton” for a reason. Calgary is more UCP than NDP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Typo posted:

With sufficient migrants from the desolate wasteland that is Ontario Alberta might follow its hero Texas into having a competitive electoral environment instead of voting right 100% of the time outside of Calgary

More likely you get the Beto effect, where native born Texans are willing to elect a Democrat but the people who moved there aspiring to the Texas lifestyle overwhelmingly voted for Canadian Ted Cruz.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

More like Crap-tanian Ted Ooze

Segue
May 23, 2007

CBC has been running these title fraud stories for a couple weeks now, and this one seems to have the most detail of all, and unfortunately hits a lot of stereotypes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/title-fraud-toronto-condo-1.6720439

CBC posted:

But Yu, a former international student who now lives in China's Hubei province...only noticed that "something unusual" was going on with her condo, which she bought in 2017 for more than $800,000, when her monthly property management fees weren't charged last July.

Yu, who moved back to China in 2019, said she reported the matter to police and her insurer...She said the furniture was all hers, although she didn't recognize some small items including an orange throw pillow and a potted plant.

Million dollar condo sitting empty for three years, perfectly normal economy.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Yu, 24, only noticed that "something unusual" was going on with her condo, which she bought in 2017 for more than $800,000, when her monthly property management fees weren't charged last July.

Yu, who moved back to China in 2019, said she reported the matter to police and her insurer.

love to buy 800k condos at 18 years old before moving back to my home country for 3+ years

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
truly revolutionary expropriation of property from the rich

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Star had a pretty good article about international students and how the system is designed to extract maximal tuition (from undergrads) and cheap labour (from grad students) and it's just :discourse: to see so many layers of scamming like a mille-feuille of self-ownage (or not, anymore, for Ms Yu, 24).

e: Tim Hudak popping in halfway through to hawk extra insurance that doesn't even do so much as photocopy your deed for the low price of $1000 and that, notably, Yu had and that did not in any way prevent the fraudulent sale of her "beloved property filled with all my memories", like a little museum of her time in undergrad, is a neat touch too.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 20, 2023

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
So does title insurance just work totally backwards here? In the U.S., title insurance is there to reimburse the buyer and the lender in a scenario where it turns out the buyer doesn't end up holding title to the property (as would happen in this case) and the loan isn't secured against anything. There's basically no reason for an owner to purchase title insurance after closing.

Segue posted:

I'm assured that empty condos aren't actually a thing that happens, and we can fix this problem that doesn't exist by building more condos that definitely won't sit empty.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wonder how many empty condos owned by absent owners are being occupied by heroes without the owner knowing

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Yu, 24, only noticed that "something unusual" was going on with her condo, which she bought in 2017 for more than $800,000, when her monthly property management fees weren't charged last July.

Yu, who moved back to China in 2019, said she reported the matter to police and her insurer.

love to buy 800k condos at 18 years old before moving back to my home country for 3+ years

Segue posted:

CBC has been running these title fraud stories for a couple weeks now, and this one seems to have the most detail of all, and unfortunately hits a lot of stereotypes.

To be fair, my mid-20s Chinese trust fund landlord is probably one of the better landlords I've ever had so far. Much better than the Canadian mom & pop landlords that evicted me the second the parabolic increases in housing values started to slow down.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Segue posted:

well, that's one way to increase housing supply

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Segue posted:

I don't believe for a goddamn second that not one of the agents or lawyers was in on this poo poo.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
With the huge organized crime presence in Toronto and the massive amounts of money that change hands in real estate sales and development there's definitely organized criminal involvement in the market. Then throw in the absolute idiocy of the Toronto police and.. god knows whats really going on.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

RBC posted:

Then throw in the absolute idiocy of the Toronto police

The one believable part is someone could steal your entire house, bank account, wife, children, pets, and Toronto cops would just tell you "this is a civil matter" and go find a parking lot to hang out in.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Fidelitious posted:

I don't believe for a goddamn second that not one of the agents or lawyers was in on this poo poo.

This is the third of these stories I've read recently.

Passed the second one along to a real estate lawyer I know and his response was pretty much "maybe things are very lax and different in Ontario, but it seems pretty much impossible for this to happen unless the lawyers and realtors are in on it."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess I should have read the article first- I thought someone had just moved into the unoccupied house, I didn’t realize identity thieves profited

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
My institution requires title insurance on all purchases to protect/weed out fraud. Its usually some sketchy lawyer needed to make title fraud work.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The article suggests that someone is living there now (presumably the buyer, who may or may not be in on the scheme), and that the original "rightful" owner had title insurance which should compensate her for the fraud.

Anyway, a largely unremarkable article about Why Canada’s housing market is stronger than it looks — and a recovery is not far off, which I suppose reflects what people in the know want you to think:

quote:

It is difficult to imagine a weaker housing market than the one we are enduring. :lol: But the market is stronger than it looks. And that will become apparent later this year and next.

Pessimism is inevitable, though. After all, the drop in the average Canadian house price since the market peaked last February is one of the largest on record. And also one of the fastest, playing no small role in stoking fears of a wider recession.

The Canadian Real Estate Association’s (CREA) home price index has plunged 13 per cent in the short space of 10 months from February to December of last year. That compares with a decline of nine per cent during the financial crisis of 2008 and 2009, which kicked off the Great Recession.

The average GTA house price has fallen by 21 per cent from its March 2022 peak of $1,370,000 — a drop of $287,700. And the market is expected to continue slumping with CREA, for one, predicting a further drop in the average Canadian house price of almost six per cent this year.

Mortgage rates have, of course, roughly doubled since last March, when the Bank of Canada launched one of the most aggressive interest rate hiking cycles in its history. In its latest forecast, this week, CREA said most first-time homebuyers will likely remain effectively frozen out of the market “until mortgage rates are lower than they are today.” But appearances can be deceiving even in as transparent a market as residential real estate.

You might want to brace for reports in early April of a further steep decline in house prices in this year’s first fiscal quarter. But the reports will be misleading, because they will compare an anemic first quarter of 2023 with the same quarter last year when prices were at their peak. Thereafter, reported house price declines will shrink for the rest of the year.

Here’s what matters for those concerned that the market won’t come back. Your house is probably worth more than you paid for it. In most cases a lot more. By CREA’s calculation, the average Canadian house price in December was still about 33 per cent higher than the same period in 2019.

... (stuff about immigration propping up demand, and Royal LePage's CEO moaning about a chronic supply shortage) ...

Housing will remain in short supply for the rest of this decade, meaning prices will rise. And though one more quarter-point increase is widely expected Jan. 25 in the BoC’s benchmark rate, this is the year that rates stop rising.

This year will also set the stage for house price recovery in 2024. And CREA forecasts that the average Ontario house price will rise 1.1 per cent next year, and the Canadian average price will rise by 3.5 per cent.

The worst in the housing market price decline is over, and the recovery will soon be underway. In the meantime, the sidelines can be a relaxing place to be. It sure beats the antic bidding wars when buying a house became secondary to winning some kind of high-stress contest.

(god these single-sentence-fragment paragraphs are terrible)

Anyway, gently caress this guy and the FYGM bullshit sprinkled throughout the article. I'm going to fantasize about a much, much "weaker" housing market than ever before seen.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

The immigration stuff is and always will be bullshit. It's never put into the context of our declining population via low birth rates and boomers starting to die by the bucketful.

There are so many people out there who are completely hosed by rising rates. They maxed out their budget based on a 2% mortgage and we are so, so far beyond this now. They're hosed.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Segue posted:

I do not know why, but after reading this article Google and Facebook ads are convinced I should try moving to Canada now.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

RBC posted:

The immigration stuff is and always will be bullshit. It's never put into the context of our declining population via low birth rates and boomers starting to die by the bucketful.

There are so many people out there who are completely hosed by rising rates. They maxed out their budget based on a 2% mortgage and we are so, so far beyond this now. They're hosed.

Well this means almost our entire population growth requires housing now, not in 20 years. Also contra the baby boom when we had a massive construction program, we just aren't gonna bother.

E: to be clear immigration isn't the problem it's our decision not to actually build the necesarry infrastructure that is the problem.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Even with all the boomers dying and our lack of natural growth, StatsCan still sees population growth as a giant up and to the right.

quote:

From 2016 to 2021, Canada's population grew at almost twice the pace of every other G7 country. While the pace of growth slowed in 2020 with the COVID-19 pandemic, it rose again in 2021 and, from January to March 2022, it was the highest of all first quarters since 1990.

As the world population is set to reach 8 billion people this year, Canada's population is also expected to grow significantly, according to the various scenarios proposed in the most recent population projections for Canada, the provinces and the territories.

From 38.2 million people in 2021, Canada's population may reach between 42.9 million and 52.5 million in 2043 and between 44.9 million and 74.0 million in 2068, according to the various projection scenarios.

In one medium-growth scenario, Canada's population would reach 47.8 million people in 2043 and 56.5 million in 2068.

Will be real interesting to see what happens if Canada does slip into a real recession. I see that as the only real event that will induce some real severe price declines, but along with that will be a lot of very Big Problems so I suspect none of us will really be able to capitalize on such an event.

Was chatting with my dad about the recession in the early 1980s. He had a variable rate mortgage at 12% (because surely it can only go down from here) which spiked to 24% lmao. He was effectively bankrupt but his uncle picked a convenient time to die and a massive inheritance bailed my Dad out of his looming financial problems.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

Well this means almost our entire population growth requires housing now, not in 20 years. Also contra the baby boom when we had a massive construction program, we just aren't gonna bother.

E: to be clear immigration isn't the problem it's our decision not to actually build the necesarry infrastructure that is the problem.

It's very modest projected growth with an aging population. The growth rate is about the same as it's been here for decades. There's no surge like people are claiming. It's certainly nowhere near comparable to the baby boom. The composition is different in that it's more immigration than natural growth. That's it. We're the only country in the G7 that is trying to maintain our growth rate through immigration instead of watching it decline.

Does this put pressure on housing? No more than it did in 1992 when our growth rate was double what it was this year. And housing was in a decade long lull.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/CAN/canada/population-growth-rate

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

RBC posted:

I was thinking that it shouldn't be hitting quite yet except for variables since the prime rate didn't crater until Feb 2020. But, I suppose it's significantly higher now even for the people that got a 5-year fixed in 2018.
Given that we're looking for a new house these, we've seen quite a number of listings pop up. And a good number of them feel like desperation sales.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Still waiting for the crash.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

RBC posted:

It's very modest projected growth with an aging population. The growth rate is about the same as it's been here for decades. There's no surge like people are claiming. It's certainly nowhere near comparable to the baby boom. The composition is different in that it's more immigration than natural growth. That's it. We're the only country in the G7 that is trying to maintain our growth rate through immigration instead of watching it decline.

Does this put pressure on housing? No more than it did in 1992 when our growth rate was double what it was this year. And housing was in a decade long lull.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/CAN/canada/population-growth-rate

90s might be an interesting time frame to watch as a comparable for the next bit going forward. Interest rates between 92-94 were between 5-6%, about the same as now.

The big difference I see between then and now that I see was the casual ease in the 90s of creating more of that Canadian Dream™ SFH product. People just razed another forest at the margins and built more strip mall suburbs. It was enormously cheap and easy to create more housing of the sort that people really wanted. They were def doing tons of this when I was growing up.

In contrast, these days there is there is dramatically less opportunity for that sort of thing. Using Metro Vancouver as an example, there's been limited few opportunities for this sort of green field development, limited pretty much to Surrey and Langley, and it is necessarily now more expensive townhome style development.

IMO this has been a contributing cause driving what we've seen in the last few years of this significant outflow from Vancouver and Toronto out into other cities beyond the metro areas, as people seek that Canadian Dream™ of a SFH they can afford.

quote:

People are leaving Canada's biggest cities amid a housing crunch

Canada’s largest cities are getting bigger and more expensive, forcing hundreds of thousands of people to search for affordable housing elsewhere.

Toronto, the country’s biggest urban centre, saw nearly 100,000 people leave the area, with 78 per cent choosing to settle in other parts of the province over a one-year period to July 1, according to Statistics Canada data released Wednesday.

Montreal and Vancouver, Canada’s second and third biggest cities, saw about 35,000 and 14,000 people exit, respectively.

International migration, however, more than offset these losses. The data showed most newcomers preferred large urban centres over rural areas. Canada’s largest population centres gained more than 600,000 people from international migration, compared with just 21,000 settling in smaller communities. Toronto gained 216,600 people from immigration.

The data highlight the consequences of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s ambitious immigration policies that aim to bring in about half a million permanent residents each year — an amount larger than the size of Halifax, the biggest city in Atlantic Canada. Population growth in the major cities coincided with a period of peak housing prices in most regions.

The benchmark price of a home in Canada was $789,300 in July of last year, up 43 per cent since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to data from the Canadian Real Estate Association. House prices have since started to fall as the central bank increased borrowing costs, but affordability has also deteriorated alongside rising mortgage costs.

Despite the exodus from some of the largest cities, many of Canada’s more affordable large urban centres saw their population increase at the fastest annual pace since at least 2002, the statistics agency said. New permanent immigrants and net gains of non-permanent residents accounted for most of this rapid growth.

Overall, the country continues to urbanize, with 71.9 per cent of Canadians now living in one of its census metropolitan areas, up 0.1 percentage point from a year earlier. That means there’s more pressure on cities to build housing and infrastructure to accommodate rapid population growth.

Urban centres in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario lost more people to other provinces and territories, with urban centres in the Atlantic provinces, Alberta and British Columbia recording strong gains.

Moncton and Halifax, key Atlantic Canadian cities, saw the fastest population growth rates at 5.3 per cent and 4.4 per cent, respectively.

redbrouw posted:

Quick glance but if home prices in Greater Vancouver plunge 37% the average home price will be back to what it was when this thread started.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
That "drive till you qualify" was a thing is evidence that large municipalities repeatedly failed, over a period of decades, to build the housing their residents and prospective residents needed.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

RBC posted:

redbrouw posted:

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

RBC posted:

They were stress tested :grin:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Purgatory Glory posted:

They were stress tested :grin:
That's what I don't get. The stress testing criteria was well above the current interest rates, was it not? I can only assume that with this many people freaking out about mortgage rates that the amount of fraud on applications is massive.

Also, I know someone who is moving to Vancouver because "Toronto home prices are unaffordable". :confused:

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Rates are above the stress test rate for anyone that bought with mortgage of around 2% or lower. It was also only introduced in 2018.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Mr. Apollo posted:

That's what I don't get. The stress testing criteria was well above the current interest rates, was it not? I can only assume that with this many people freaking out about mortgage rates that the amount of fraud on applications is massive.

I'm sure some people outright fabricated their income, but I would think that a larger problem is that several things typically happen after people buy a home: they spend more money maintaining and/or improving that home than expected, their parents expect the "gifted" down payment to be repaid (or need the money back to pay down the HELOC it was borrowed from), and people have kids. All of these things are bad for cash flow, especially at elevated interest rates, and none of them are captured by the stress test.

redbrouw posted:

You're talking about the most illiquid asset class there is, and it's not like prices aren't still trending downward. :shrug:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

tagesschau posted:

I'm sure some people outright fabricated their income, but I would think that a larger problem is that several things typically happen after people buy a home: they spend more money maintaining and/or improving that home than expected, their parents expect the "gifted" down payment to be repaid (or need the money back to pay down the HELOC it was borrowed from), and people have kids. All of these things are bad for cash flow, especially at elevated interest rates, and none of them are captured by the stress test.
That makes sense. They passed the stress test but then kept spending like rates would never rise so they had no cushion.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

Also, I know someone who is moving to Vancouver because "Toronto home prices are unaffordable". :confused:

Yeah, people just let life fill in the gaps if they have excess money. It doesn't help that for whatever reason lenders moved to a 39% gds number up from around 32% it used to be. Allowing people to dump more money into housing costs.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

I can only assume that with this many people freaking out about mortgage rates that the amount of fraud on applications is massive.

Hoo buddy does CBC have you covered.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/organized-crime-groups-behind-gta-home-sales-mortgages-without-owners-knowledge-1.6719978

CBC News posted:

CBC Toronto has learned that a handful of organized crime groups are behind these real-estate frauds — in which at least 30 homes in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) have either been sold or mortgaged without the real owners' knowledge...

King says an organized crime group starts by looking through publicly available property records for a home without a mortgage — or a small one where there's still a lot of equity left in the property — as a target. 

From there, the groups who ultimately receive the fraudulent funds use stolen IDs and hire "stand-ins" to pose as tenants to gain access to the home, and other "stand-ins" impersonate homeowners to mortgage or sell it.

"A lot of times they're petty criminals that are paid anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 to stand-in and pose as the homeowners," said King. "The people behind the frauds do not want to be front-facing."

Now it's a private investigation firm alleging this, and not a lot of proof shown, but if CBC if certifying this, odds are it's a real thing.

It basically puts paid to the common argument that our banks are doing thorough research and stress testing everyone to make sure everything is legitimate. Which is obvious given the insane bidding wars and buying frenzies that have characterized the market in the last years.

My Favourite Obvious Fact posted:

CBC Toronto reached out to Toronto police multiple times for comment, but no one was available to speak on its title fraud cases.

King says these cases pose a challenge for police because the organized crime groups can have several properties on the go at once across multiple jurisdictions. 

Hopefully this breaks open the dam on these types of stories and we get more and more evidence of the silliness. Fun times to watch and pray for a crash.

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.

Mr. Apollo posted:

The rate my wife and I were stress tested at when we bought in early 2022 is the rate our mortgage actually is as of the last round of rate increases. Now we actually do have the income we reported so it’s crappy but definitely doable. That’s partly because we both used pessimistic income projections (hers can fluctuate 10-20k a year) and we refused to get a mortgage above a certain amount even if we qualified.

With the increased cost of literally everything, I can definitely see someone who passed the stress test without fraud in 2021/early 2022 and got the biggest mortgage their GDS dictated now ending up with negative cashflow.

I’m not advocating for a bailout or anything. I am advocating for tighter lending rules because if somebody can meet all the criteria and guidelines and get hosed anyway then the criteria and guidelines are useless. That of course benefits those who have the money to not worry about borrowing even more but it’s not like wealthy people or REITS are suffering currently.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Please tell me you didn't get a variable rate mortgage in early 2022. The writing was clearly on the wall regarding future rate hikes by then.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

McGavin posted:

Please tell me you didn't get a variable rate mortgage in early 2022. The writing was clearly on the wall regarding future rate hikes by then.

I have to agree, rates were starting their climb end of 2021. I can't believe any competent mortgage broker would let a client take a variable at that time.

Like lol, banks weren't offering 0.9% variables at the time because they were really nice, they know which way the wind is blowing.

Also on the stress test note. Yeah, rates are now higher than what quite a few people stress-tested at in the last 5 years. Not to mention however many people there are that used private lenders that don't need to stress test.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Fidelitious posted:

I have to agree, rates were starting their climb end of 2021. I can't believe any competent mortgage broker would let a client take a variable at that time.

idiot reporting in, i got talked out of an uninsured sub 3.4% 10 year fixed (and indeed any fixed at all) with a bunch of hoopla about how they're quasi scams where you're paying nearly all interest for long time and rates don't go up very much or very fast :classiclol:

and hey, they were the expert (i even talked to 3 and turned down something blatantly worse, in retrospect should have gone with the one that didn't push anything at all), and i was some dipshit who didn't know anyone more informed and had to make a high pressure decision with massive consequences very quickly

having a cool time paying 900 bucks more a month and counting since starting half a year ago. it's not a disaster, i saved 20 down and shot for comfortably within my means (read: across the street from a homeless shelter), but it sure sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Global news.had their gas refinery expert guy on who said proces this summer will likely exceed last years due to maintained required reducing capacity. That could prop up inflation, prolonging the rate hikes.