Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

You can do the fight 4 times and get infinite hearts legit via drygmy, but yeah lmao mc combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hmm then it could have been decaying quicker than I was producing it then. I can't actually discount that.
I always handled waste by just making a lot of ultimate pipes and dragging them down as far as they would go. It was practically infinite storage vs the dumb drums that filled almost instantly in the version I played. They also didn't emit radiation.

Not sure if that still works in the latest version.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

What does MineTogether do?

I don't know if anybody's really given you the full appreciation of it yet. You start up the world and the text chat is getting absolutely bombarded with people all over the place just typing whatever-the-gently caress. Even if you wanted help with something, nobody would probably see it in time, and if they did, you probably would miss the reply. I didn't leave it on long enough to see how much Nazi poo poo was going on, but it just exuded classic "Gamer Energy."

Khorne posted:

I always handled waste by just making a lot of ultimate pipes and dragging them down as far as they would go. It was practically infinite storage vs the dumb drums that filled almost instantly in the version I played. They also didn't emit radiation.

Not sure if that still works in the latest version.

I haven't tried but I see the stuff accumulates in the pipes while I was screwing around so I can see that working. As it stands, the stuff seems to just disappear in the drum for as little as I'm making.

Echophonic posted:

I haven't done the fight yet. Hoping my 32 damage Meka-Tool will be sufficient.

I didn't know that thing could hit that hard, so I guess I should make two.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
After something like a week, my second reactor (with an emergency shutoff, no less) melted down. But I got enough polonium. That's really annoying, and I am happy I went through that trouble of having it do its thing in a compact machine even if that contributed to the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if the upgrade to 1.5.0 caused it to melt down while starting up or something.

I faintly recall there's a block I can use to extend a machine by one block for additional plumbing. It was in Omnifactory but I thought there was another one now in these newer packs. Is that a thing? I have one Mekanism machine that is too crowded on itself and needs a buildout.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I just built the Industrial Foregoing stasis chamber thing to kill the mother silverfish since you would need one to farm more hearts with the drygmy or whatever its called anyway, so I never really had a proper fight with it, just killed it while it was stun locked.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I didn't know that thing could hit that hard, so I guess I should make two.

You have to open up the tool config menu once you apply the upgrades. It's \ by default.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is there a good tool for checking what's generating tick lag for 1.18.2? Out Stoneblock server is having serious issues and I'm not sure which changes we made are causing it. I have a toss-up between LaserIO or ProjectE EMC links right now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Echophonic posted:

Is there a good tool for checking what's generating tick lag for 1.18.2? Out Stoneblock server is having serious issues and I'm not sure which changes we made are causing it. I have a toss-up between LaserIO or ProjectE EMC links right now.

Observable Successor project for laggoggles.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rynoto posted:

Observable Successor project for laggoggles.

Thanks! Immediately flagged out me putting a LaserIO node with a bunch of extractors on a Tessaract was basically a lag cannon. Ended up just swapping it to a LaserIO node and some connectors and it's fine. Went from 22k micro-seconds/tick to 90 for that connection.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 11, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, chasing this escalating lag in Stoneblock 3 is aggravating. Server just keeps building up running behind messages and then implodes when someone logs in.

Everything relevant is chunkloaded, I turned off all the Watches of Flowing Time, got rid of the all the high-tick-impact things and replaced them with better stuff. Just keeps hellcrashing and I can't figure out which stupid piece of the dozens of automation bits is the problem. We're SO close to being done, mostly just the Gaia Guardian, the train ride, and the Ultimate gear so having to constantly restart the server so we can keep accumulating singularities is getting on my nerves.

I'm just gonna throw some Create chunkloaders around and hope for the best, new thought is that it's gotta be some dumbass thing with Refined Storage and these drawer subsystems.

Also I wanted to grab the new Vault Hunters to give it a look and nope, can't get past the stupid Cloudflare thing CurseForge clearly put up to gently caress with other launchers.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 16, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Echophonic posted:

Man, chasing this escalating lag in Stoneblock 3 is aggravating. Server just keeps building up running behind messages and then implodes when someone logs in.

Everything relevant is chunkloaded, I turned off all the Watches of Flowing Time, got rid of the all the high-tick-impact things and replaced them with better stuff. Just keeps hellcrashing and I can't figure out which stupid piece of the dozens of automation bits is the problem. We're SO close to being done, mostly just the Gaia Guardian, the train ride, and the Ultimate gear so having to constantly restart the server so we can keep accumulating singularities is getting on my nerves.

I'm just gonna throw some Create chunkloaders around and hope for the best, new thought is that it's gotta be some dumbass thing with Refined Storage and these drawer subsystems.

Also I wanted to grab the new Vault Hunters to give it a look and nope, can't get past the stupid Cloudflare thing CurseForge clearly put up to gently caress with other launchers.

I've not really played much with Refined Storage, but IME one of the first things to do when lag hunting is not use drawers. In particular, the "storage bus on the drawer controller" thing. In my experience, tons of I/O through the drawer controller is super laggy. Try to eliminate drawer use as much as possible and, failing that, reduce the size of drawer banks by splitting them up into smaller chunks, each with their own controller. You can enforce this by reducing the maximum drawer count and distance from controller in the storage drawers config if it comes down to it.

See if there's a version of LagGoggles on whatever Minecraft version Stoneblock 3 is using. It helps with tracking down individual lag sources. That mod is pretty cool, even if the author is a douchebag.

That being said, my main frame of reference is on 1.7.10 and with Applied Energistics, so this advice may or may not be relevant. Good luck -- I don't envy having to debug performance issues with lovely Refined Storage systems. Channels exist for more reasons than just "engineering challenge."

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I've not really played much with Refined Storage, but IME one of the first things to do when lag hunting is not use drawers. In particular, the "storage bus on the drawer controller" thing. In my experience, tons of I/O through the drawer controller is super laggy. Try to eliminate drawer use as much as possible and, failing that, reduce the size of drawer banks by splitting them up into smaller chunks, each with their own controller. You can enforce this by reducing the maximum drawer count and distance from controller in the storage drawers config if it comes down to it.

See if there's a version of LagGoggles on whatever Minecraft version Stoneblock 3 is using. It helps with tracking down individual lag sources. That mod is pretty cool, even if the author is a douchebag.

That being said, my main frame of reference is on 1.7.10 and with Applied Energistics, so this advice may or may not be relevant. Good luck -- I don't envy having to debug performance issues with lovely Refined Storage systems. Channels exist for more reasons than just "engineering challenge."

Yeah, we're using a handful of smaller storage drawer networks, but the most complicated I/O one is self-contained and the main network only pulls from it. It does have a lot of EMC Condensers feeding drawers, which could probably be replaced with EMC Links.

The issue I'm having is that the server seems fine if someone's on it, but once they log off, it just falls over. Nothing's above 150 us/t, and the worst of that is the giant Create crafters. So yeah, it being a Refined Storage receiver connected to a drawer controller might be the issue, I think we have like 5 receivers set up now for either subnetworks of drawers or for crafter export. Doesn't seem insane, but some desync could send it spiraling.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 16, 2023

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, we're using a handful of smaller storage drawer networks, but the most complicated I/O one is self-contained and the main network only pulls from it. It does have a lot of EMC Condensers feeding drawers, which could probably be replaced with EMC Links.

The issue I'm having is that the server seems fine if someone's on it, but once they log off, it just falls over. Nothing's above 150 us/t, and the worst of that is the giant Create crafters. So yeah, it being a Refined Storage receiver connected to a drawer controller might be the issue, I think we have like 5 receivers set up now for either subnetworks of drawers or for crafter export. Doesn't seem insane, but some desync could send it spiraling.

When you say that it only pulls from it - that means that it needs to be able to see it, which means that it might be your issue.

A network needs to "know" what it has inside, so if the network can pull an item out of a drawer network, it necessarily needs to access information about the network in realtime, which means that it has to poll that whole network.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Devor posted:

When you say that it only pulls from it - that means that it needs to be able to see it, which means that it might be your issue.

A network needs to "know" what it has inside, so if the network can pull an item out of a drawer network, it necessarily needs to access information about the network in realtime, which means that it has to poll that whole network.

Oh, definitely. Actually, yeah, didn't occur to me that the internal thrash would have impacts on RS. Might be worth re-rigging that to only have RS see the output drawers.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Replace RS with AE :)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
If we weren't almost done, I'd consider it. We hit the breakpoint for the cooking stuff (~1550 ultimate meatballs and stew) and just turned all that stuff off and broke the link. Hopefully that sorts it out. All that we're stuck on now is balloons and mob souls.

Edit: It's been a few hours and the server hasn't imploded. Looks like it was the RS+Drawer thrash. Maybe caching updates for when someone logs in? Good to know for next time. Annoyingly, it looks like Mob Souls don't really come in with the server empty, so idling overnight it is.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 17, 2023

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I played a bunch of FTB inferno this month. I've gotten near the final boss and have hit that point of yeah....I'm good. interesting pack, goes back and forth between obnoxious and cool. things are gated in odd ways, sometimes it makes for an interesting challenge tho.

pretty pipes kinda sucks in my opinion. maybe I just don't understand it. this made me finally engage hard with mine colonies. neat ideas but implementation could be much better fairly easily, I'd imagine. good luck living without me, town I made and have now abandoned.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Light Gun Man posted:

I played a bunch of FTB inferno this month. I've gotten near the final boss and have hit that point of yeah....I'm good. interesting pack, goes back and forth between obnoxious and cool. things are gated in odd ways, sometimes it makes for an interesting challenge tho.

pretty pipes kinda sucks in my opinion. maybe I just don't understand it. this made me finally engage hard with mine colonies. neat ideas but implementation could be much better fairly easily, I'd imagine. good luck living without me, town I made and have now abandoned.

I find pretty pipes a lot more manageable when I'm almost exclusively using Retrieval modules.

It's not nearly as fucky as filtering in Pipez, though. Their whitelist and blacklist filtering does not work in a way anyone thinks it should. I thought I just didn't get it, but there's a rather lengthy bug on thier github about it with all the same complaints I had. Pipez is great if you're just going from A to B or feeding stuff that doesn't ever get consumed, but god forbid you try to get a network going or sending stuff to one inventory or another based on a whitelist.

LaserIO might be finicky, but at least it's got in-game documentation (that I found after we were basically done using it :negative:) and it's usually at least a little obvious what a given node or card is doing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
yeah retrieval seems like they work more often, more easily. sometimes even do things you didn't really want and you don't know why! extractions almost never behave.

i even had days where they would just decide to not connect to things they were connected to fine the day before :iiam:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Haven't done a GTNH post in a while. Yes, I'm still playing it.

In UHV now. Did a power expansion recently.

This setup does tin plasma. It makes 263A of UV power using the new-ish supercritical steam.

Supercritical steam is a straight x3 power over processing plasma in a plasma turbine. The supercritical steam setup I devised caps out at slightly less plasma per second, though, so I didn't quite get x3. (This is why there is an unused fifth fusion reactor there; originally I had planned to just run it through an XL plasma turbine.) This new power setup should guarantee my prosperity forever*.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Finished the Stoneblock 3 questbook! Was a lot of fun, highly recommended. Probably going to do a more casual pack with a proper overworld like All The Mods 8 next.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Echophonic posted:

Finished the Stoneblock 3 questbook! Was a lot of fun, highly recommended. Probably going to do a more casual pack with a proper overworld like All The Mods 8 next.

Outside of knocking out the Mother Silverfish or whatever, was there anything else beyond that which was kind of interesting? I made that my goal and just kind of putted around afterwards since I think it was just Avaritia Hell afterwards and I had enough of that in Omnifactory.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Outside of knocking out the Mother Silverfish or whatever, was there anything else beyond that which was kind of interesting? I made that my goal and just kind of putted around afterwards since I think it was just Avaritia Hell afterwards and I had enough of that in Omnifactory.

Yeah, it was basically just Avaritia hell, but we've never really gotten that far into it before, so I was kinda into the automation aspect. Lot of new mods I hadn't really gotten into before and pushing a lot of mods to endgame that were either new to me or new to my friend.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I've been away from Minecraft for a while but now I'm getting an itch to make an ATM8 server...

I have no idea where to host it, though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

run it on an oracle free machine

https://blogs.oracle.com/developers/post/how-to-set-up-and-run-a-really-powerful-free-minecraft-server-in-the-cloud

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I apparently picked the wrong region, and there's never been any free tier servers available when I try. And you can't switch regions.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Man, I'm just about to quit FTB: Interactions. You're telling me I have to fight the loving Chaos Dragon just for palladium and platinum? Fuuuuuuck yooooouuuuuuuu. It even ignores the mod that convinces mobs to ignore you, which I use since FTB:I decides it needs to lock you into Normal difficulty and throw Creepers on laser dinosaurs at you.

Combat is the worst part of Minecraft. Just let me build a cool-rear end factory without demanding I engage with janky combat mechanics. Even if you want me to fight monsters constantly, at least don't make the broken-rear end Chaos Dragon gate mid-tier minerals. Is there anything like FTB: Interactions that doesn't force you to focus so much on combat? I like both E2:E and Nomifactory, but I'm not sure I'm willing to devote thousands of hours to something like GT:NH.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 22, 2023

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Guess we'll see how well a 3ghz Ampere does running modded Minecraft, when Oracle isn't at capacity.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

RocketMermaid posted:

Is there anything like FTB: Interactions that doesn't force you to focus so much on combat? I like both E2:E and Nomifactory, but I'm not sure I'm willing to devote thousands of hours to something like GT:NH.

unless you're someone who absolutely needs to complete all challenges to feel like you accomplished something, why don't you just give gtnh a try? you can set a smaller intermediate goal, like get to the moon, or automate your first circuits. honestly i think many people end up playing through multiple times, getting to further tiers each time. you don't need to devote 1000 hours to have fun with gtnh. i've started new worlds like three times and had a blast each time trying different strategies

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I've been playing GT:NH, I put down some magnum torches around my base and just sort of trundle along, I have my first EBF, but still haven't built up any real power infrastructure, because I get sidetracked doing some random little thing that turns in twelve others.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Black Pants posted:

Guess we'll see how well a 3ghz Ampere does running modded Minecraft, when Oracle isn't at capacity.

I've run a few different modded servers using that tutorial and they have all run tolerably well. I never have more than four or five people on at a time but for that, or for running a server so I can share a world from my laptop to my desktop, it works fine.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

bbcisdabomb posted:

I've run a few different modded servers using that tutorial and they have all run tolerably well. I never have more than four or five people on at a time but for that, or for running a server so I can share a world from my laptop to my desktop, it works fine.

It seems like a good solution for running a server just for yourself and a few friends.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just need to manage to get it when it isn't at capacity, heh.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Hooplah posted:

unless you're someone who absolutely needs to complete all challenges to feel like you accomplished something, why don't you just give gtnh a try? you can set a smaller intermediate goal, like get to the moon, or automate your first circuits. honestly i think many people end up playing through multiple times, getting to further tiers each time. you don't need to devote 1000 hours to have fun with gtnh. i've started new worlds like three times and had a blast each time trying different strategies

I'm going ahead and giving it a shot. :) I'm sad it doesn't seem to be compatible with Chromaticraft though, that's one of my favorites from 1.7.10 in spite of Reika basically going out of their way to make it more needlessly complicated with every update. I'm preemptively turning off pollution because GT has enough other fires to put out without a new restricting mechanic. Just after a few minutes, though, it seems really well done!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

RocketMermaid posted:

I'm going ahead and giving it a shot. :) I'm sad it doesn't seem to be compatible with Chromaticraft though, that's one of my favorites from 1.7.10 in spite of Reika basically going out of their way to make it more needlessly complicated with every update. I'm preemptively turning off pollution because GT has enough other fires to put out without a new restricting mechanic. Just after a few minutes, though, it seems really well done!

Absolutely gently caress pollution. making the right choice there. that mechanic was originally instated to discourage mass parallelization to keep server resources low, so in my mind it's not really a part of the core experience.

the gtnh discord is always full of people answering questions, it's a good resource if you get stumped

lastly, there's some pretty great playthroughs of gtnh on youtube, i got a lot of tips and direction from watching kharax82 and threefold.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Don't be afraid to disable/remove InfernalMobs and SpecialMobs, too. This doesn't harm progression and the only real downside is not being able to cheese infinite ender pearls with a regeneration enderman.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, apparently some madmen are trying to make GTNH compatible with Java 17. There are some seriously insane talented people working on this.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't be afraid to disable/remove InfernalMobs and SpecialMobs, too. This doesn't harm progression and the only real downside is not being able to cheese infinite ender pearls with a regeneration enderman.

I completely forgot those were even in the pack and would absolutely second turning them off. MC combat sucks, those mods suck, and GTNH is much better as a factorygame.

Pollution is a mechanic that can be fun to watch destroy nature and encourage spreading out your base away from your farm/animals but also is another that doesn't harm the spirit of the pack by just removing it.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 24, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Yeah, I remember having Infernal and Special Mobs in the custom modpack my friend put together years ago and not enjoying them at all. Gonna remove those too. Standard mobs are fine but gently caress MC combat and mob griefing being a major focus of a factory modpack.

Definitely already falling down this rabbit hole a lot harder than I did with FTB:I :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Well, this went better than I expected.

(9,000 heat is when these Quantum Computers start to go wrong)