Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lmao, Edelgard’s weapon art is called Atrocity.

Actually, that’s the one for Dimitri’s weapon art. Edelgard’s is Raging Storm, the one that lets you move again after using it

I like the gimmicks this time around in support convos. Jean and Chloe’s was funny because Jean gave Chloe stomach medicine for all the weird poo poo she eats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ungulateman posted:

marth gets way too much drat screen time though

A fitting megathread title imo.

Endorph posted:

i mean they couldnt really take the time crystal away for too long because itd gently caress over more casual players. i agree they could have at least waited a little longer to give you lucina and lyn tho. but idk, its still a neat moment. the prison section in thracia is also only like 2 chapters and people love that.

Honestly the whole thing would have worked a lot better for me if the time crystal had just not been stolen at all, you just get overwhelmed by the baddies and they take your rings so you gotta run. Losing it and getting it back in the span of ten minutes felt really dumb.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Does anyone have any channels or LP recommendations for videos to watch that'll help set a good example or otherwise be informative for FE strats? I can't keep making GBS threads up this thread every time a chapter stops me in my tracks and I am clearly missing something fundamental about the experience here.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
slightly more extensive spoilers for 10/11 the implication is that veyle is using the time crystal to take back who she gave the ring to at the start of the battle, which is why you keep fighting new generics with the rings. it's a plot beat that doesn't quite work without the time crystal

Syrnn posted:

Does anyone have any channels or LP recommendations for videos to watch that'll help set a good example or otherwise be informative for FE strats? I can't keep making GBS threads up this thread every time a chapter stops me in my tracks and I am clearly missing something fundamental about the experience here.

zoran

watch zoran

his engage videos are just livestreams but the conquest playthrough and the various demonstration/guides he did before it are the best informative fire emblem content out there

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

As someone who doesn't have the game yet, I'm enjoying the conversations about the series as a whole that spring up randomly.

I could never find a copy of any of the GBA games and it never occurred to ask for any on a birthday or Christmas so I've only played DS and 3 Houses ones.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah but she keeps doing it after you get it back!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

yeah but she keeps doing it after you get it back!

given that she literally dropped one for you to pick up as part of an elaborate ruse, do you really think she doesn't have her own?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

My main healer Pandreo's skill is Party Animal or something, and every social/bond/good thing he wolf howls. its so loving stupid but i love it "Yeah great party, awooo!!" "I just kicked their rear end! awwooo"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just got done with Chapter 14.

Save time between start and end of the chapter was 2+ hours. I used all my Warp staff uses, my one freeze staff use I had left on Zephia (after using two to beat two out of Hounds in Chapter 11), and I had to do this trade chain to clinch it. This game is good!!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Was undecided on whether to get this after my 3H replay last year kinda soured me on it. Watching videos it looks like this game has much stronger production values in terms of the combat animations, cutscenes, backgrounds, etc vs 3H which was mostly characters talking stiffly in a featureless void with pretty bad textures. Is this one better in that regard or did they just front load a lot of fancy stuff in the trailers?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

No the production values and gameplay crush 3H very, very hard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the combat animations and backgrounds, the actual gameplay stuff is much better. cutscenes are still pretty 'everyone standing around talking' but they look a bit less jank and occasionally have animation. and since it's just one route there's more cg cutscenes for the big scenes and stuff. the textures are also way better.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The textures of the walls of the hub area are not taken from a B-list PS1 platformer, unlike in 3H.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

there are a lot of non-critical conversations that take place in front of a generic background, but all the character animations are much nicer and the backgrounds are prettier too.

the combat animations are a huge slam dunk improvement and there are a decent amount of quality cutscenes in between the more standard presentation.

my only real criticism is that the 10/11 Important Sequence has a few shots that are really bizarre in terms of cutting around a very important character, even though said character shows up in both the in-game conversation later and was already revealed in a cutscene. this goes beyond the usual 'two characters interact with an entity that doesn't have a model' issue that every fire emblem game has and into 'why is there a black screen followed by the characters reacting here'

i've started watching anime again so i'm hyper alert to production shortcuts, but this one feels more like an error than a time save given that the work was already done and it just. wasn't implemented.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 23, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Speaking of a cutscene thing they kinda flopped, in ch3 Lumera did not sell that blast at all. They really could've done more to make it look deadly. Despite that the scene honestly got me just because Alear's voice actress knocked it out of the park, but it felt lame.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The in-game cutscene design has gotten worse since moving to the switch. Both three houses and Engage are using very boring stand-around-and-talk for their dialogue, they were more creative in using the in-game models to do stuff. That's definitely one glaring hole I hope they fix up for the next game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ungulateman posted:

my only real criticism is that the 10/11 Important Sequence has a few shots that are really bizarre in terms of cutting around a very important character, even though said character shows up in both the in-game conversation later and was already revealed in a cutscene. this goes beyond the usual 'two characters interact with an entity that doesn't have a model' issue that every fire emblem game has and into 'why is there a black screen followed by the characters reacting here'

i've started watching anime again so i'm hyper alert to production shortcuts, but this one feels more like an error than a time save given that the work was already done and it just. wasn't implemented.
feels like there might have been some late-stage rewrites around that sequence or something, its cool but theres a few janky bits in execution

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

Speaking of a cutscene thing they kinda flopped, in ch3 Lumera did not sell that blast at all. They really could've done more to make it look deadly. Despite that the scene honestly got me just because Alear's voice actress knocked it out of the park, but it felt lame.

Male Alear's actor absolutely nailed that scene, too. It was surprisingly well acted.

Actually in general the voice actors in this game sell grief very well, not just in that scene and not just Alear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

The in-game cutscene design has gotten worse since moving to the switch. Both three houses and Engage are using very boring stand-around-and-talk for their dialogue, they were more creative in using the in-game models to do stuff. That's definitely one glaring hole I hope they fix up for the next game.
frankly even just the GBA style 'character's overhead sprites moving around to depict action' worked better but i get that that would feel too cheap for a 'mainline nintendo' game, even if what they do now also feels a bit cheap. get the monolithsoft guys to help with in-engine cutscenes or something.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

feels like there might have been some late-stage rewrites around that sequence or something, its cool but theres a few janky bits in execution

this might be the case but the only significant change i can think of is whether or not sombron turns into a dragon then and there, but they did a full cutscene of him turning into a dragon with a clever dialogue callback, along with alear's whole 'wait i can turn into a dragon?' thing with morion. so it seems weird that they wouldn't just put the admittedly slightly ugly fell dragon model in the in-game cutscene immediately after, rather than cutting around it as if to hide something that isn't hidden AND THEN having the slightly ugly fell dragon model show up anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe the dragon model is so big that it had giant clipping issues with the ceiling/floor at certain angles

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Huh, there seems to be SECRET special Engage attacks. Or at least I don't think the game ever told me about them. I got one for, I think, having both a unit with Byleth engaged and one with Edelgard and pals engaged right next to each other, and it changed Houses Unite to Houses Unite+ which has a completely different animation, does more damage and allows for an extra action afterwards. Neat!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

speaking of clipping issues, i noticed a surprisingly basic one: the idle animation after Lodestar Rush when using Liberation has the sword clip super obviously into alear-marth's shoulder. i imagine it doesn't clip if you're using the engage weapons, but i'm a little surprised that it does clip with, of all things, the main character's signature weapon.

hardly a game ruiner but a weird thing to miss given that the game is broadly quite good at avoiding or at least strongly mitigating clipping issues otherwise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

speaking of clipping issues: zephia

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

speaking of clipping issues: zephia

Everything else is so incredibly polished and great looking that Zephia's numerous incredibly bad clipping issues, especially during shots where the camera is very clearly focused on her, feel super bizarre.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Syrnn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4o_Nm7fgto

I like this guy. He's really good about verbally speaking his thought process and he's good at the game. He has a lot of ironman runs that are fun to have in the back.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

For as piss as the Emblem bond conversations are, some of them are really fun. Timerra and Lucina both point out they have weird loving eyes, Ike straight up says Panette's overly polite speech is weird, everyone points out what the gently caress Anna is doing here. It's neat for as little as they are.

Also really funny that Panette obviously used to be a Wolf Knight (knife proficiency, Timerra/Panette C-support) but in order to shape up her image to be a proper noblelady, she class changed to ... a Berserker :v:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So are the Skirmish battles supposed to be doable or am I just bad? I’m playing on hard and the normal stages up to 8 have all been fine, but these skirmish levels where I get rushed by enemies multiple levels higher than all my troops are impossible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rosado and corrin talk about if corrin ever hangs out in her dragon form/sees it as something she can relax in, like how some people see wyverns as beasts of war but rosado's sees her as cute and her friend. its still only 6 lines but its still a neat bit of character writing.

ivy and byleth's is also pretty alright. they both talk about their dead dads.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ethiser posted:

So are the Skirmish battles supposed to be doable or am I just bad? I’m playing on hard and the normal stages up to 8 have all been fine, but these skirmish levels where I get rushed by enemies multiple levels higher than all my troops are impossible.
skirmish is meant to be hard on, well, hard, to discourage grinding. generally the best tactic for them is to break to one side of the initial enemy army and take out that initial wave and then turtle up. louis is pretty critical for this. effective weaponry helps, those missions love armor knights and pegs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ethiser posted:

They're doable. Remember that you don't have a time limit and can usually choke up behind Louis.

Also if you complete some of them it'll get you more exp and start the neverending train to break the game wide open as per usual in games with unlimited grinding.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The bond conversations are short but they did think about what each pair would talk about. They just put it in two lines instead of twenty

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

God, Chapter 17 was a tremendous clusterfuck and I'm only on Hard! I have no idea how the gently caress this map is doable on Maddening, it took me like 2 hours and nearly all of my Time Crystal charges. Every turn was an exercise in "how the gently caress do I get myself out of the mess I caused last turn?"

It's so great. By the equivalent point in 3H Hard I was sleepwalking through every stage.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Can you not bait Hortensia in Chapter 7? I put someone in both her and Rosado's range but they're not budging.

edit: ok nvm I think you have to put someone in multiple units' range at the same time, probably so Hortensia could show off the emblem attack

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 23, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

Can you not bait Hortensia in Chapter 7? I put someone in both her and Rosado's range but they're not budging.

i think hortensia only moves to attack if she can set up a lucina chain attack

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

yeah some of the bosses in this game use similar mechanics to conquest, where they're linked to a specific unit or unit(s) either being engaged in combat or being in range of some number of units they're linked to. they're generally intuitive enough that it hasn't felt like a 'gotcha' yet to me

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lumera with Sigurd was definitely a "gotcha"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

sure, but it's training you to look at someone with an emblem and go 'ah gently caress this person is gonna push my poo poo in, time to read all their effects'

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

On the one hand I’m salty cause I lost a perfect Alear level up, on the other Lumera putting on jet shoes to move halfway across the map and plaster Vander is hilarious and I wouldn’t have it any other way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
None of the defeats in the first couple chapters are permanent anyway so Lumera jetting across the map to murder someone is cool and good