Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1616229428819857408

Carmack congratulates your success too.

GT is not my thing, but I find hilarious some of the replies, that insist that unlike id games, GT is not 'a real game' or 'something of quality'.

edit: speaking of another 'not my thing', I don't care for rollercoasters, but for fans, this seems is going to be well done
https://twitter.com/CoasterManiaVR/status/1565351425713967104
https://twitter.com/CoasterManiaVR/status/1614258259568824321

free dlc for OnShape
https://uploadvr.com/ohshape-ultimate-quest-2-pico-release/

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I have an issue with my Quest 2, it turns on on its own the moment I connect the usb cable to charge it. It's the same if i turn it off, then minutes (or hours!) I connect the charging cable, or if while being on and charging I put it on and select 'power off'.

This happens... /check amazon... around 3.5 months after the warranty expires, yayyy.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

If I am not mistaken the last time I read about something like this a factory reset fixed it.

I've had my quest 2 for almost 2 years now so I just did one myself just because (hoping for better performance mainly)

I found I almost exclusively use pcvr on steam so I don't need a lot of stuff on the actual device.

It seems the culprit is my usb cable. With another it worked fine. Weird.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This was incredibly confusing for a moment

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This remind me to Shadow Point, but with hand tracking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e3hbpkgcoI

new firmware for Quest
https://www.oculus.com/blog/meta-quest-v49-do-not-disturb-family-center-abstract-home/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://altvr.com/sunset/ Altspace shutting down.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

mutata posted:

https://altvr.com/sunset/ Altspace shutting down.

Oh. And that had Microsoft behind it.

Although speaking of, MS seems to have fired the remaining WMR department.

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-VzPJik6Pw
I had bought Windlands 1. I started playing... and then I got distracted by something else and never returned to it. One day...

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 20, 2023

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-VzPJik6Pw
I had bought Windlands 1. I started playing... and then I got distracted by something else and never returned to it. One day...

Don't buy windlands, the developer is a huge rear end in a top hat known for using legal intimidation tactics against any VR game with a grappling hook.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Windlands has always seemed to go under the "oh yeah that exists" header in VR game lists.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Turin Turambar posted:

Although speaking of, MS seems to have fired the remaining WMR department.

They never finished the MRTK 3.0, their toolkit for XR for Unity. Guess we'll have to see if someone forks that project and takes it over. I know the XRTK exists but to my knowledge that's only because one the people who worked on a lot of the MRTK is kind of a, ahem, difficult person to work with.

Standard microsoft. Too early to the party with the HoloLens. Then came out with a product that was better than it had any right to be (WMR headsets) and marketed it poorly or not at all. Then decided to pull out of the space entirely. Later Apple will come in (for the AR/MR portion at least) and eat their lunch while they continue to sell years old tech with the Hololens 2. At least, that's if we're lucky. Going to make my life interesting to see who is going to be our primary platform.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 20, 2023

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Cutedge posted:

Later Apple will come in (for the AR/MR portion at least) and eat their lunch while they continue to sell years old tech with the Hololens 2. At least, that's if we're lucky. Going to make my life interesting to see who is going to be our primary platform.
https://twitter.com/markgurman/status/1615535904025907202
tbh apple is probably going to let the wookie (zuck) win for a while.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Good* AR is hard, man. I know tech press says AR will the the next big mainstream platform, and yeah I can see that, but we are talking of future tech. 15 years away at least. Good VR can be done now, unlike AR, that actually the most striking difference between the two.

*: as in, the stuff you see in a movie or read in a scifi novel. Light, unobtrusive, perfect tracking, working right 99.999% of the time, most of the human eye fov covered, with a battery that is longer than 2 hours, etc.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cutedge posted:

They never finished the MRTK 3.0, their toolkit for XR for Unity. Guess we'll have to see if someone forks that project and takes it over. I know the XRTK exists but to my knowledge that's only because one the people who worked on a lot of the MRTK is kind of a, ahem, difficult person to work with.

Standard microsoft. Too early to the party with the HoloLens. Then came out with a product that was better than it had any right to be (WMR headsets) and marketed it poorly or not at all. Then decided to pull out of the space entirely. Later Apple will come in (for the AR/MR portion at least) and eat their lunch while they continue to sell years old tech with the Hololens 2. At least, that's if we're lucky. Going to make my life interesting to see who is going to be our primary platform.

Lools like Hololens 3 is cancelled too (unsurprising).

https://uploadvr.com/report-hololens-3-canceled-turmoil-within-microsoft/

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Yeah what they were calling HL3 got canned and that entire department has been a mess ever since they semi-fired kipman.

The Apple thing I have to laugh about because everyone swears to god this is the year when Apple will announce their thing.

So I guess it's meta or it's the new htc Vive XR Elite. I mean I guess I can say we've been playing with that one since they have a video of it on their youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jQWXo-43BQ

Please don't pay attention to the fact there's no through the headset video, I'm sure there's no particular reason for that and the device is definitely not coming in hot :suicide:

It's not a bad kit but it doesn't play nice with my glasses and their adjustable thing doesn't go high enough for my bad eyesight. It's at least enough to dev on though. It'll be good to have competition with the quest pro because a lot of companies and organizations (coughdefenseindustrycough) won't touch anything meta.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 20, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I thought Hololens was a solid moneymaker for Microsoft since they got those military contracts and hooked themselves up to the military money hose but I guess they can't sell software subscriptions for it so it has to go.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Hard to call it a moneymaker since they spent something like 4 billion to R&D the thing.

The enterprise market for it is just too early. It hasn't materialized the way they told us it would when we and other companies were in the "Hololens Academy". I mean, it's getting there but honestly it's all military industrial complex across the world. I'm not sure when the rest of the market is going to jump on it, if they do. But it's all going to be about training and maintenance of industrial equipment, vehicles, etc. I honestly am not sure how the XR market is going to do anything else until they can get it cheap and small enough to inject into people's eyeballs.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 21, 2023

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Collateral Damage posted:

Speaking of storage solutions, does anyone have a suggestion for how to store the Index in a somewhat space efficient way? I just have it hanging on a peg now with a tea towel draped over it to keep dust away from the lenses.

Got my full kit stuffed in an Apache 3800… snug fit but holds it all in a compact form factor and protects it quite well. There’s no need to use a suitcase size box for this. I’ll post pics when I get home

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

njsykora posted:

I thought Hololens was a solid moneymaker for Microsoft since they got those military contracts and hooked themselves up to the military money hose but I guess they can't sell software subscriptions for it so it has to go.

Apparently it was making everyone sick and giving them headaches and eyestrain and their contracts are getting cancelled

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I'd be more afraid of being lit up like a christmas tree in the enemy's night vision but I mean maybe that's just me :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wife has been using her bobovr m2 quest 2 strap for a few days, she’s absolutely sold on it. We got her the official elite strap early on, and while she says it was better than the basic cloth strap, the m2 is light years beyond the elite strap, too. She has the one with the battery dock, so that makes the balance even better.

Anyhow, by her account, it’s q2 basic < elite <<<<<<<<<<< m2

In case anyone is looking for options.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Carmack has posted now the Q&A from the past keynote
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vi...963826457779%2F

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm growing bored with After the Fall what do I do

What's the game one of the posters is involved in? Cave Digger? Gorilla Tag?

Hello!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hi.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Cutedge posted:

I'd be more afraid of being lit up like a christmas tree in the enemy's night vision but I mean maybe that's just me :v:

Another win for camera passthorugh!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Collateral Damage posted:

Speaking of storage solutions, does anyone have a suggestion for how to store the Index in a somewhat space efficient way? I just have it hanging on a peg now with a tea towel draped over it to keep dust away from the lenses.

DoubleT2172 posted:

I bought an apache brand hard case with foam from Harbor Freight and keep it in there with the controllers, it's pretty compact depending on what size case you buy

I forgot to post this yesterday but here's the album showing how I stuff my full Index kit into an Apache 3800, with descriptions in the album https://imgur.com/a/jHXujbt

I have about 10k miles across 25 or so roadtrips using this. It's even taken some spills along the way but everything inside the case was fine, it's really well protected in there even without 1 mile foam around it in a giant suitcase :v:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm growing bored with After the Fall what do I do

What's the game one of the posters is involved in? Cave Digger? Gorilla Tag?

yes

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Thoatse posted:

I forgot to post this yesterday but here's the album showing how I stuff my full Index kit into an Apache 3800
Do you travel with tripods as well for the base stations? When the Vive came out and I was showing demos, I had a precarious rolling case set up with a mini ITX pc. Now, yesteryear VR laptops are pretty cheap.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

kuskus posted:

Do you travel with tripods as well for the base stations? When the Vive came out and I was showing demos, I had a precarious rolling case set up with a mini ITX pc. Now, yesteryear VR laptops are pretty cheap.

No tripods, I use an Oculus sensor base for one of them that goes on a bookshelf when I set it up at my mom's (my VR away mission place) and she let me hang one of the wall mounts on the wall in the guest room I use when I visit which I use for the other corner. I could probably fit the sensor base in the case but I'm dragging other poo poo as well so throw it in with that

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Well, dipped my toe into VRChat for the first time. Found a fun visualiser room, and a cool train-through-the-cosmos-with-lofi-hiphop room, and messed around in a movie world watching a bit of an episode of Star Trek TOS.

Then I decided that I'd stick my head into a public room to see what was going on. Bunch of children screaming over the top of each other and a dude with an Andrew Tate avatar running around quoting him, so about what I was expecting.

It's great though, feels very much like the early days of exploring the late 90s early 00s internet communities when it felt like there was a new VRML chatroom (I had to go do a bit of googling to even remember that it was called VRML) launching every other week.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Everything has changed a bit since I seriously haunted VRchat, but some worlds are kid magnets more than others.

PC only worlds seem to skew older.

Remember if someone is being seriously annoying or racist or whatever you can block them easily, it took me awhile to get used to doing that, but some people deserve it.

I've found 3 discords that are cool to tool around in (two are private VRrave groups) and the other was a semi friendly British group.

Organically hitting it off with and friending a decent assortment seems just as good, but I'm not a very good tribe builder, I have to ride on others coattails for that.

It would be cool to hang with the goons, but if they are doing it, I'm not aware of it.

I'm in the goon VR discord, but not much goes on in it.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 23, 2023

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Everything has changed a bit since I seriously haunted VRchat, but some worlds are kid magnets more than others.

PC only worlds seem to skew older.

Remember if someone is being seriously annoying or racist or whatever you can block them easily, it took me awhile to get used to doing that, but some people deserve it.

I've found 3 discords that are cool to tool around in (two are private VRrave groups) and the other was a semi friendly British group.

Organically hitting it off with and friending a decent assortment seems just as good, but I'm not a very good tribe builder, I have to ride on others coattails for that.

It would be cool to hang with the goons, but if they are doing it, I'm not aware of it.

I'm in the goon VR discord, but not much goes on in it.

i'm in awe of the whole dance/rave/DJ circuit on VRchat. the infrastructure they've created and the organisational skills are wild.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Frobbe posted:

i'm in awe of the whole dance/rave/DJ circuit on VRchat. the infrastructure they've created and the organisational skills are wild.

Its actually amazing, thanks to the wonder of the internet, you can have a rave any time of day because it is always party time somewhere on the globe.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are there any good worlds or groups people would recommend for that? It was always something I meant to do in VRChat, but never got around to it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Are there any good worlds or groups people would recommend for that? It was always something I meant to do in VRChat, but never got around to it.

If you go back a couple pages there's a bunch of recommendations for someone else who asked the same question.

Rave-wise, The Castle's one of the big ones, they'll often get a live DJ just parking an avatar in an instance streaming their set on Twitch. Good big world too, but it gets chuggy when a lot of people are in it. Club Orion's popular as well.

Mode 7 posted:

Well, dipped my toe into VRChat for the first time. Found a fun visualiser room, and a cool train-through-the-cosmos-with-lofi-hiphop room, and messed around in a movie world watching a bit of an episode of Star Trek TOS.

Then I decided that I'd stick my head into a public room to see what was going on. Bunch of children screaming over the top of each other and a dude with an Andrew Tate avatar running around quoting him, so about what I was expecting.

It's great though, feels very much like the early days of exploring the late 90s early 00s internet communities when it felt like there was a new VRML chatroom (I had to go do a bit of googling to even remember that it was called VRML) launching every other week.

I'm gonna take a guess and say you ventured into the Black Cat as you "public room".

Never go into the Black Cat, it's the most popular public world that's also Quest compatible, and a total cesspool as a result.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

For raves? join this discord

https://discord.gg/vrchatpartyhub

and then check out the "Daily-Roundup" channel. This channel is posted to by a small handful of people who handle the different regions. The posts for each party will have the specific instructions on how to get into each party. Usually it will be something like "join off of X person" where X person is the host, and you just join the party once it starts after the host accepts your friend request.

Also, click on the Channels and Roles thing right under the banner at the top left, and click the option that says you want to rave, and it will unlock all of the server update channels for every VRChat rave group, so you can see exactly when/where a particular group is doing something, and maybe join their discord once you find one you really like and want to revisit often or join their particular community.

quote:

Question
How do I get into X event?
Answer
Friend the host, bot, or DJs on the poster. This is easiest to do from the VRChat website.

Question
Are all events free?
Answer
Yup! All of them are free, with only a few exceptions and even they are only pay-to-enter through patreon to get easier into the "main" instance with the actual DJ and staff. Otherwise you get into an overflow where you still get to hear the music with other people

Question
Is there a way to see what events are going on right now?
Answer
Check the most recent post #𝗗𝗮𝗶𝗹𝘆-𝗥𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗱𝘂𝗽 for events that are happening today. Or the google calendar #𝙲𝚊𝚕𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚊𝚛-𝙻𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚜

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 23, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goy31rTMCIA&t=77s
(timestamped)
https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/1617552792842895360
csmashvrs.com

Both Rez and Space Channel 5 has VR versions, indeed...

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

orange juche posted:

For raves? join this discord

https://discord.gg/vrchatpartyhub

and then check out the "Daily-Roundup" channel. This channel is posted to by a small handful of people who handle the different regions. The posts for each party will have the specific instructions on how to get into each party. Usually it will be something like "join off of X person" where X person is the host, and you just join the party once it starts after the host accepts your friend request.

Also, click on the Channels and Roles thing right under the banner at the top left, and click the option that says you want to rave, and it will unlock all of the server update channels for every VRChat rave group, so you can see exactly when/where a particular group is doing something, and maybe join their discord once you find one you really like and want to revisit often or join their particular community.

Oh, it's cool that someone is doing a central roundup now. Back when I was checking these out, I was on like 100 different discords for all the various nightclub groups and it was a pain to check them all and like, take notes on who was doing what at what time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Thanks goons, that's very helpful. :)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-23/apple-reality-pro-details-eye-hand-tracking-app-store-3d-ios-like-interface

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The experience should feel familiar to Apple users. When they put the headset on, the main interface will be nearly identical to that of the iPhone and iPad, featuring a home screen with a grid of icons that can be reorganized. Users will be able to pin widgets, such as the weather, calendar appointments, email and stock-market performance, among their app icons.

wow, they did it, they figured out the perfect VR interface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh, it's cool that someone is doing a central roundup now. Back when I was checking these out, I was on like 100 different discords for all the various nightclub groups and it was a pain to check them all and like, take notes on who was doing what at what time.

Yeah the guy who does the daily roundup is an actual hero.