Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Fire Kellen Moore and Mike McCarthy for that lmao hail Mary design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There's no loving way McCarthy can survive that, is there?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

That play had to be drawn up as:

Edit:

Snap the ball and throw it to the WR .

Zeke you sweep behind for a kind of hook and ladder and run behind the o lineman and maybe we got a chance.

But, Zeke got blown the gently caress up, Dak panicked and threw the ball high and Turpin got smoked.

Which is honestly as a play design is still pretty god drat stupid because the whole plan hinges on the dline deciding to not blow up Zeke at center which they will always do if given the chance.

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 23, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I had to turn it off around the 2 minute warning to put my kids to bed and missed the lols

https://twitter.com/cjzer0/status/1617352785221017603

I am going to be texting "GETS SMOKED RIGHT AWAY" to my Cowboys fan friend a lot

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

MJeff posted:

There's no loving way McCarthy can survive that, is there?

How far does beating Tom Brady for the first time and winning Dallas's first playoff games in years take him?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

let's be fair folks, that may not have been effective as a football play, but it did bring joy to the hearts and minds of fans across america

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Cowboys willingly chose Fat Mike

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
That play was doomed but what were the rules on throwing it out to either sideline, were there eligible men on either wing?

Like the top quartet don't even move til Dak is releasing.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

kalensc posted:

That play was doomed but what were the rules on throwing it out to either sideline, were there eligible men on either wing?

For some reason the eligible WRs looked to be in the center of the formation, as opposed to the ends.

You can have lineman out wide, generally they need to declare to the referee that they are eligible, and probably some other rules i dont know.

I still think zeke was supposed to try and hook and ladder it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kalensc posted:

I think maybe part of the 'plan' was a throwback to that side of the field eventually (whether before or after a Zeke touch) with three blockers in front of whoever that receiver was on the end, so they don't have to move a whole lot until that happens? I guess also you can't have illegal man downfield so a lot of those guys have to wait until the pass gets thrown to move.

Like, someone will one day give us an oral history of the design of this play and what was intended to happen.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

People speculating that Jerry was looking for justification to fire Fat Mike so he can hire Sean Payton despite making the playoffs and Fat Mike straight up lays a perfectly valid set of reasons right in his lap as though he doesn’t even want to be there anymore. :lol:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

https://twitter.com/JoriEpstein/status/1617358493488676864?cxt=HHwWgIDU7eG-gfIsAAAA

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:crackping: :lol:

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Only an epic bed making GBS threads against Brady would’ve put Fat Mike’s job in danger.

He held the poo in an extra week and it was just enough.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Jerry's loyalty to mediocre at best coaches knows no bounds. He's lusted for Payton forever and going to pass lol

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
why isnt the Bengals DC in the HC mix? That dude consistently fields good to great defenses without a ton of killer players and he's always got great gameplans for unique offenses.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he don't do nothing. he sits aorund. end of story

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Paint Crop Pro posted:

That play had to be drawn up as:

Edit:

Snap the ball and throw it to the WR .

Zeke you sweep behind for a kind of hook and ladder and run behind the o lineman and maybe we got a chance.

But, Zeke got blown the gently caress up, Dak panicked and threw the ball high and Turpin got smoked.

Which is honestly as a play design is still pretty god drat stupid because the whole plan hinges on the dline deciding to not blow up Zeke at center which they will always do if given the chance.

Yeah I think this is right and they're hoping that they play off of Zeke. But the smartest thing to do is just rush him and put him on his rear end and so the entire play is doomed.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It wasn't quite the Colts swinging gate play, because people can at least come up with (extremely unlikely) paths to success. But man that sure is a thing to have hanging out there as the punctuation at the end of your season.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Docjowles posted:

It wasn't quite the Colts swinging gate play, because people can at least come up with (extremely unlikely) paths to success. But man that sure is a thing to have hanging out there as the punctuation at the end of your season.

I mean it was 5 seconds left and you needed a touchdown, the best play ever designed has like a 3% chance of working out for you there

The decisions to get to that point on the other hand....

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

why isnt the Bengals DC in the HC mix? That dude consistently fields good to great defenses without a ton of killer players and he's always got great gameplans for unique offenses.

Probably just because he's a defensive guy, and his defenses aren't flashy the way, say, DeMeco Ryan's or Johnathan Gannon's are

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

At least the game losing play was not a 4 and long quarterback sneak. That would have been career death for Fat Mike.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Kalli posted:

I mean it was 5 seconds left and you needed a touchdown, the best play ever designed has like a 3% chance of working out for you there

The decisions to get to that point on the other hand....

I like to think all the friction between McCarthy and Rodgers started when Rodgers started completing hail marys and calling "running-back-is-the-center" hook and laterals became out of the question.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Because nobody respects the Bengals.

Which obv. they are very wrong to do.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1617501274865295360?t=dgQguS6EqsP938ZAVFYmjA&s=19

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/stevesmithsr89/status/1617354242255355909?s=46&t=DqNZ54RL4lD7S-xGQqLwXg

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

But is he a rocket scientist???

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Had to look it up, and was not surprised to see he is the son of Les Steckel lol

Les Steckel was the guy who infamously compared being an NFL head coach to commanding Marines in Vietnam and then went 3-13 with the Vikings so they had to bring Bud Grant back for a year. No idea if Luke is the same level of hard rear end Les was known to be, but it amuses me.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

fartknocker posted:

Had to look it up, and was not surprised to see he is the son of Les Steckel lol

Les Steckel was the guy who infamously compared being an NFL head coach to commanding Marines in Vietnam and then went 3-13 with the Vikings so they had to bring Bud Grant back for a year. No idea if Luke is the same level of hard rear end Les was known to be, but it amuses me.

Les Steckel was so bad that 10 years later he was the target of an MST3K riff, in Ep. 619, “Red Zone Cuba”:

(Very half-assed paramilitary training happening)

Crow: “Les Steckel opens training camp!”

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/JeffDuncan_/status/1617533692397625345?t=8C5q4G9YmnbkoLiF2FNtxg&s=19

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

^^Payton doing a 2nd interview with the Broncos. They're probably the only team available willing to do $25m per and a 1st rounder.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Sean trading prescription pills for legal weed (And probably pills).

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This guy seems to be in demand.
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1617537643276812292

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/Commanders/status/1617537884830982144?t=BsKAFmtgmKdOh68Lbf35BQ&s=19

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Jets interview Chad O'Shea: broke rear end

Ravens interview Chad O'Shea: strong and independent

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

they can have him

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I feel like there are a lot of interesting HC and even DC candidates this cycle. But goddamn, the OC ones are ROUGH.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

First interview mention of him outside the Carr pairing speculation.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1617544250023116800

Woozie66 posted:

I feel like there are a lot of interesting HC and even DC candidates this cycle. But goddamn, the OC ones are ROUGH.
OCs have been picked clean in recent years.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think a lot of that is because these are replacement jobs. You either have to go with the old retread or the plucky super green but possibly savvy ballboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Diva Cupcake posted:

First interview mention of him outside the Carr pairing speculation.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1617544250023116800

OCs have been picked clean in recent years.

Furthermore all the good OCs are head coaches now lol