Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Anti-Hero posted:

Do the folks itt who order these chairs have an opportunity to sit in them beforehand?

there's usually showrooms available and many workplaces orders these chairs in bulk like my workplace has a bunch of aerons and mirras (but no embodys unfortunately)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BCRock posted:

Thanks again for the feedback about chairs and guitar playing. I'm now deciding between the Embody and Gesture as my top 2 choices and I'd love a quick rundown of the major pros/cons of these two before I impulse buy one or the other.

Just to make it clear I'm looking to judge these on the merits of being an office chair that's sat in for many hours every day. If I can comfortably play guitar in either that's a bonus at this point since I can easily just get a stool to use for that if necessary. And for whatever it's worth when it comes to these particular options, I'm 6'4" and not heavy. Mentioning that since I've read a bunch of comments about the Gesture working a lot better for taller people than it does for short people,, so it may end up being a deciding factor.

It has recently come to my attention that I am a manlet (thought I was 5'11 since HS, had that pointed out to be [no longer?] true recently, RIP me) so I won't have the best opinions for height.

That being said, I've had extensive experience with both chairs now, so I feel qualified to type a bunch of words! :v:

Gesture:
Pros:
• None
• Just kidding
• If you're a headrest guy, you can get it from the factory with a headrest! :toot:
• Arm mobility (not just out of the way, but iirc they move around to all sorts of positions. Nothing TOO crazy, but more than just up/down)
• Something like 5-6 positions you can lock the back tilt in - all the way from straight vertical to quite far back

Cons:
• Lumbar support didn't really feel like it did much
• Really one big one for me, but going to split it into two components:
• The fabric felt too "smooth"
• I still can't place exactly what the seat pan did, but it felt like it was always, ever-so-subtly, trying to slide me off the front of the chair and dump me onto the floor

The last one was the dealbreaker for me. I sat in one for 1.5 years in the office and it always felt like I had to engage my quads to stop from sliding out of the chair. Sitting in it for more than like 20 minutes stopped being restful and eventually felt like work. Ostensibly the reclining mechanism had some sort of synchro-tilt but it definitely wasn't aggressive enough; I could see it (subtly) working in my co-workers' chairs but it sure didn't FEEL like it was doing anything. Also not that it matters but I never had the option to try the headrest.

Ultimately, I did not really enjoy the Gesture and grew to dislike it. It DID make me use the sit-stand desk at work frequently, though, so who can truly say if it was good or bad? *insert Dril tweet here*

Embody:
Pros:
• Everything
• Not actually sure I'm joking there
• Back support is phenomenal
• Like, seriously, this is only the second chair I have ever sat in with good enough upper-back support that I can honestly say "Yeah, no, it doesn't need a headrest actually"
• Tilt mechanism feels good (i.e. back of the seat pan drops an appropriate amount *glares at the Gesture*)
• Arm Mobility (not as strong as the Gesture, but in addition to up and down with a large number of catch-points they tip in and out, towards/away from you; better than most chairs for sure)
• It has a lot of settings but tbh the guy I bought it from had it dialed in well enough I haven't even bothered playing with them really

Neutral:
• Aftermarket manufacturers are starting to make headrests for it if that's your jam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1o_22cYQLc

Cons:
• No first-party headrest
• No, really, Herman-Miller, get off your loving high horse
• The one aftermarket headrest I saw being advertised on YouTube was like $200; unknown what else is out there
• Somehow that YouTuber also somehow managed to make a 30 minute video about a loving headrest but apparently he did bring a 6'3" person in to give their thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC5BRAfAJQA

I purchased a Cosm back in like August 2020 when it became apparent that I would be spending a LOT of time in my chair at home. Absolutely adored the thing and still really like it. Awhile later one of my close friends decided he needed to upgrade and after trying my Aeron-C for a month or so ended up deciding on an Embody. Back then, I wasn't impressed with the Embody when I tried it in the showroom, but he was happy so whatever. A year or so later, he found that he didn't like how the chair fit him - he's about my height, but broader in the shoulders and likes to put his hands behind his head while he's on calls and/or just thinking about whatever it is that Electrical Engineers think about (presumably daydreaming about the sweet release of death, like the rest of us). However, clasping his hands behind his head would cause his shoulderblades to pop out and rub on the side edge of the chair. (I suspect he had a habit of leaning sideways while doing this as well, given the feedback he had about the Cosm). Eventually he decided it wasn't going to work, I swapped him my Cosm for a month with the understanding that if he liked it and I liked the Embody, maybe we could trade or something. The Cosm wasn't quite for him either, but I had fallen in love with his stupid Embody and parted ways with too many of my USD friends for it. Now I have an expensive Herman Miller chair awkwardly lording its large mesh backrest over my spot at the dining room table . . . because I'm still using the Embody for WFH even after the Cosm was returned to me.

Like I said, back support is phenomenal - literally feels like it is cradling you. (The Cosm is the same way - I've never felt back support on par with either of these chairs before.) Herman Miller is kinda obnoxious about how they feel like all their chairs are good enough and don't need headrests (so they don't make them) and . . . I have to begrudgingly admit that at least for the Cosm and Embody, they're probably actually right. I saw an ad for (what appeared to be) a pretty high-quality headrest for the Embody, but it was on preorder for like $189.

So, yeah. I currently own an Embody because my buddy didn't like how the very edge/top of the backrest interacted with his frame. However, his issue was width rather than height. I'm afraid I don't have a clue how the back of this chair will fit those gifted with height, and/or if an aftermarket headrest would appreciably change that in any way, but for my average-height frame I'm a fan.

I'm probably going to be slightly sad when I offer to sell one of my chairs to a friend next month and she inevitably picks the Embody :sigh:

That's a lot of words, this post is terrible, but I'm tired of trying to make it suck less (and also just tired) so I hope it was at least somewhat useful!

Zarin fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 5, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Peachfart posted:

I'm sitting in it now. I love it.
You’re Welcome!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TenementFunster posted:

fedex and ups drivers are so loving overworked and every second of their shift is scrutinized to the point that special requests (especially for something as big as an embody) are often overloooked due to lack of time. i’m sure the nationwide expectation of 2-day Treat Delivery has made their lives hell

FedEx Ground is a local contractor who pays poo poo while still being massively overworked.

The FedEx Express guys are the direct FedEx employees and they get paid to drive those trucks even in Florida (the 20 year employee I talked to regularly in 2017 was pulling $40/hr with 4 weeks vacation and separate PTO which is p loving good for manual labor). So Express generally cares more. They’ll also make a second attempt to deliver if a signature is required.

Source: me, a former oral (heh) oncology pharm tech who shipped $5-15m in drugs a day and dealt with FedEx for a living

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
UPS is actually unionized, at least where I live. The drivers I've talked to still get worked to death and micromanaged to a ridiculously dehumanizing degree, but at least the pay and benefits are solid and at least the drivers with enough seniority can't be forced to work unscheduled overtime.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We leave out a tray of snacks and drinks during holiday season for our delivery people and it seems to be a nice little thing for them. I encourage everyone to give that a shot if you live in an area where this would work.

Chair talk, I think my only qualm so far is the embody gets hot with the fabric I chose. This could also just be from friction because I tend to shift around a lot in my chair and I realize this is a bad habit I need to curb.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The delivery drivers around here know that they can fill up a water bottle if they want, or stop off to take a whizz.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

couldcareless posted:

We leave out a tray of snacks and drinks during holiday season for our delivery people and it seems to be a nice little thing for them. I encourage everyone to give that a shot if you live in an area where this would work.

Chair talk, I think my only qualm so far is the embody gets hot with the fabric I chose. This could also just be from friction because I tend to shift around a lot in my chair and I realize this is a bad habit I need to curb.

I feel like moving around in the chair a lot is a good thing, though. Maybe just means you should get up and take a short walk every so often instead :v:

Good idea on leaving stuff out. My apartment building orders a lot of stuff, no reason I couldn't do something like that year-round.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

couldcareless posted:

I wish there was a mesh Embody for this reason, I am a warm person in a warm climate and that fabric is just a hard no-go :ohdear:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Unsinkabear posted:

I wish there was a mesh Embody for this reason, I am a warm person in a warm climate and that fabric is just a hard no-go :ohdear:

I’m in Florida and the fabric is Florida man approved (in that Florida man would regard it too highly to make makeshift drug paraphernalia out of it)

Fix your ac, nerd :colbert:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

tehinternet posted:

I’m in Florida and the fabric is Florida man approved (in that Florida man would regard it too highly to make makeshift drug paraphernalia out of it)

Fix your ac, nerd :colbert:

From nola, apparently if you don't live in the gulf south, blasting your AC (or having AC at all) is potentially a totally foreign practice

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I rent, which means my apartment has a shitbox AC unit that floods and dies if I blast it, which means I die. We live at a permanent 75 freedom units in this house, even when the summer is at its shittiest and most humid and you want it cooler than that.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The drain on that is nearly clogged then. Also buy a dehumidifier

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

couldcareless posted:

From nola, apparently if you don't live in the gulf south, blasting your AC (or having AC at all) is potentially a totally foreign practice

I remember going up north to Pennsylvania in the summer the first time as a child and being floored that all houses didn’t have AC by default. It’s still a weird concept to me

It was 100 degrees there and 85 back home in Florida because of loving course it was

Unsinkabear posted:

I rent, which means my apartment has a shitbox AC unit that floods and dies if I blast it, which means I die. We live at a permanent 75 freedom units in this house, even when the summer is at its shittiest and most humid and you want it cooler than that.

Look up your model of AC (YouTube will probably have a video) and see where the drain pan is. Clear that poo poo out; it’s a super easy fix that will save you misery.

When I say super easy, I mean it’s generally find pan, remove pan, dump poo poo water out, clean if needed, put back in.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 6, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The clog will be some years-old fluff with stagnant water backed up behind it, be prepared for it to stink

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

tehinternet posted:

Look up your model of AC (YouTube will probably have a video) and see where the drain pan is. Clear that poo poo out; it’s a super easy fix that will save you misery.

When I say super easy, I mean it’s generally find pan, remove pan, dump poo poo water out, clean if needed, put back in.

Their AC guy has come out and done this a few times and I have no problem with doing it myself instead, but it's not a periodic problem. It happens every single time I try to drop the temp to 65 or whatever for sleep hygiene, or it has to run harder than usual to stay cool in the summer. There's something wrong with the way the drainage is set up that the AC guy grumbles about every time, which apparently would need to be fixed to actually stop this, but it's Greek to me.

Good to know it's something I can just handle myself next time, though.

brand engager posted:

The drain on that is nearly clogged then. Also buy a dehumidifier

This is probably the actual solution to the summer swampass problem anyway

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I've searched the forum, but I don't think this has been answered.

I need to turn our spare bedroom into a semi-temporary office space. The room is used as a guest bedroom most weekends, so I have to set up and take down the office related stuff pretty frequently, and I need to be able to store it. The only available storage is a small closet, 22 inches deep, with a 28 inch doorway.

My daily driver office chair is an Aeron, size B, so I'm fairly spoiled in terms of seating. I'd like something that's vaguely ergonomic, or that can be modded to be ergonomic (aftermarket lumbar support, etc.), but the absolute number 1 requirement is that it fit in the closet.

What are my best options for a tiny chair that is also fairly comfortable and won't destroy my back? Because it's a temporary setup, I don't want to spend too much (under $200?) but if that's not a reasonable ask, I can cope.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you get a Herman Miller Setu used for that sort of price?

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
There's one on eBay for about $340, and it's from the same vendor that sold me my Aeron (refurb). I normally hate to jump on things without doing a lot more research or getting more opinions, but there's only one left in stock, and it's the right size, and (at the risk of being a brand snob) Herman Miller chairs are comfortable and last forever. Merry Christmas to me! Thank you!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Hungry Squirrel posted:

There's one on eBay for about $340, and it's from the same vendor that sold me my Aeron (refurb). I normally hate to jump on things without doing a lot more research or getting more opinions, but there's only one left in stock, and it's the right size, and (at the risk of being a brand snob) Herman Miller chairs are comfortable and last forever. Merry Christmas to me! Thank you!

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you need a way of setting an office up and putting it away again quickly then something like this is a good option - I would assume someone in the US is making similar sort of products

https://pithandstem.com/droptop/

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

Their AC guy has come out and done this a few times and I have no problem with doing it myself instead, but it's not a periodic problem. It happens every single time I try to drop the temp to 65 or whatever for sleep hygiene, or it has to run harder than usual to stay cool in the summer. There's something wrong with the way the drainage is set up that the AC guy grumbles about every time, which apparently would need to be fixed to actually stop this, but it's Greek to me.

Good to know it's something I can just handle myself next time, though.

This is probably the actual solution to the summer swampass problem anyway

Some bleach poured down the drain can prevent the poo poo from clogging as quickly assuming it’s grime clogging it (make sure you don’t overflow the pan)— I’m honestly not sure how the drainage for an apartment block would work though. I’m in a house, I pour a cup of bleach every month or a two, but my drainage to the outside pipe is only like 50 feet of PVC, so YMMV there.

Running your AC at 65 is the lowest I’ve heard of someone running it — what’s the ambient outside that you’re running it that low?

This is more a curiosity thing, my family is in Florida and we keep it at 76. You mentioned sleep hygiene with that number; I hadn’t heard that before. Could I ask where you heard that? That would be interesting if true

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There have been some studies that indicate you get better sleep when the temperature is around 60 - 65 F: https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/cant-sleep-adjust-the-temperature

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There have been some studies that indicate you get better sleep when the temperature is around 60 - 65 F: https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/cant-sleep-adjust-the-temperature

I need it to be cold like that temperature to sleep, so agreed.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I received the Herman Miller Mirra 2 Butterfly for my home office yesterday. Really glad my work has a budget for WFH- furniture.

I feel like the chair was moulded for my body. I did not know that back support was a thing. The recline function is a dream.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Turambar posted:

I did not know that back support was a thing.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Computer chairs: I did not know that back support was a thing

That was exactly my reaction the first time I sat in the chair I ended up buying, though. I'd had good chairs at some of the places I'd worked, sure, but nothing that stood out to me. When you finally find one that is what you're looking for . . . well, you'll just know.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Just a heads up if anyone in the Las Vegas area is looking for a steelcase leap v2, New Life Office has a few left for $250. Pretty good price, but they are silver painted finish/light gray plastic with a gray geometric fabric so not to everyone’s taste. I paid an extra hundred for the all black version at a different store.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do we have a similar thread for desks? Where do I buy a good desk? I feel like everything I find on amazon/wayfair in the configuration I want is cheap particle board and real furniture stores like raymour and flanigan only sell giant mahogany things for $3k.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i really love my uplift desk and it wasn't outrageously expensive for an electric sit/stand (although you can make them pricey with a lot of options)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The best mid-price desks I've seen that are widely available are the Ikea Bekant. They're not office grade by any stretch but they are decent. A metal frame underneath the surface so they don't bounce around, if the top ends up getting destroyed then you can put your own sheet of wood on there without any trouble.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Vari desk 30x60 is my pick for best sit stand desk. It’s very comparable to Uplift just a little less expensive. We do have a desktop thread I’ll edit and link it later.

My desk was like $700 and is built like a tank, perfect Goldilocks of price and quality. It’s gonna be laminate at that price though. Real wood is gonna get you closer to $1k, but my fake top feels great and is maybe more durable than wood.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 21, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I found it, thanks for letting me know. Wasn't searching for the right thing I guess! I'll move my inquiry there.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

explosivo posted:

Do we have a similar thread for desks? Where do I buy a good desk? I feel like everything I find on amazon/wayfair in the configuration I want is cheap particle board and real furniture stores like raymour and flanigan only sell giant mahogany things for $3k.

I have an uplift desk for a long time and really liked it.
Recently however, I found myself separating my work from home life from my leisure life and wanted to build up a gaming room.
So my old uplift desk went to the office room and I ordered a new desk for the gaming room and after a lot of consideration
I ended up going with Desk.haus and holy poo poo these things are amazing. Way more sturdy than my uplift ever was.

To be clear both my uplift desk and my desk.haus desk are 4 leg versions.
But the desk.haus has ZERO monitor wobble both sitting and upright. The legs are tanks!

For the uplift desk I bought both the legs and desktop from them.
For desk.haus desk I only purchased the legs from them. I had a custom desktop made from a local craftsman.

I highly recommend both uplift and desk.haus but I really really like my desk.haus and I think they come out on top.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 21, 2023

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Inner Light posted:

Vari desk 30x60 is my pick for best sit stand desk. It’s very comparable to Uplift just a little less expensive. We do have a desktop thread I’ll edit and link it later.

My desk was like $700 and is built like a tank, perfect Goldilocks of price and quality. It’s gonna be laminate at that price though. Real wood is gonna get you closer to $1k, but my fake top feels great and is maybe more durable than wood.

I just bought one of these today for 499 at a office furniture liquidation place. It’s for my wife’s home office as she wanted something adjustable and a little wider than the 48x30 Benkant desk she has now.

It’s really nice especially at that price

https://www.officefurnituresa.com/o...-standing-desk/

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

skipdogg posted:

I just bought one of these today for 499 at a office furniture liquidation place. It’s for my wife’s home office as she wanted something adjustable and a little wider than the 48x30 Benkant desk she has now.

It’s really nice especially at that price

https://www.officefurnituresa.com/o...-standing-desk/

Yeah buddy!! That’s the same top I have, I’d prefer a solid pattern but it’s fine and the top is nice and durable :)

e: I was wondering why the price was a bit lower, it is a slightly older model, I don’t think their new ones have the crossbar or they sell different lines. But I would expect that to affect usability little for most people.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The story they told me is that they’re new but can’t be sold as new. Either customer returns or sometimes they’ll get someone who canceled an order and they’ll liquidate it for them. For 500 bucks it’s way better quality than anything I could get from Amazon. Even IKEA would be more expensive. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was an older model.

We also got 2 of the monitor arms for 30 bucks each. Retail is like 179. Can’t pass that up.

The place I got it from is fun to visit their inventory changes almost daily and they do a daily Facebook live event. I saw Friday they had a bunch of adjustable desks come in so we went yesterday to snag one.

Now I need to find one of those walking pads/treadmill things.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

any decent chair with arms for under a hundred? Or are they all the same at that price point

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Look for an office furniture liquidator in your area and ask what they have. Any new chair under $100 is going to suck after 6-12 months

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That sucks, I don't feel like chairs are worth $500-1500 either, unless one of them will last 20 years ($75/year of value out of a $1500 chair)

I've used $500? chairs at work and those things last 2-3 years at best before there's something wrong with it. Maybe I should just get a wooden chair haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That sucks, I don't feel like chairs are worth $500-1500 either, unless one of them will last 20 years ($75/year of value out of a $1500 chair)

I've used $500? chairs at work and those things last 2-3 years at best before there's something wrong with it. Maybe I should just get a wooden chair haha

In my mid-20s I worked in a machine shop; this meant that all our chairs were hand-me-downs from whenever the last time the office folks had a furniture refresh. Some of the better chairs out there were Herman Miller and Steelcase items nearly as old as I was.

Chair price will tell you less than the warranty; most of the higher-end chairs in this thread are rated for 24/7/365 shift use and still carry a 12-year warranty. Generally this means if I use it anywhere between 4-12 hours a day, I can expect it to last longer than that.

I just got a (gently-used) Embody and my expectation is that I will probably not be in the market for another chair for the next decade and a half (at minimum). Naturally, we'll see how this plays out but based on historical performance, it seems like a reasonable expectation to me.