Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SettingSun posted:

1. Conveyors, foundations, power poles, walls
2. Pipe poo poo and related accoutrement
3. Most commonly used buildings

Do you have all the belt types down there? Becuase this game doesn't have sorters or inserters, it seems like you're going to be using all the belt types all game long in order to deliver proper amounts of resources. Or do you just say gently caress it and use Mk Vs whenever you unlock them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I use the highest level belt I can easily make exclusively. If for some reason I wanted to use a different kind of belt I would cycle through them with e.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

Tell me your Hotbar Methods

1. favorites / exploration
2. belts & belt accessories
3. factory build stuff
4. pipes & pipe accessories
5. electrical
6. railroad construction
7. temp / color swatches / misc
8. architectural decor
9. walls
10. foundations

zoux posted:

Do you have all the belt types down there? Becuase this game doesn't have sorters or inserters, it seems like you're going to be using all the belt types all game long in order to deliver proper amounts of resources. Or do you just say gently caress it and use Mk Vs whenever you unlock them?

You can think about resource flows very differently in this game. Because resource nodes are infinite, you don't need to manage things in a supply-centered way by cutting flow. Manage demand instead.

(Personally I use a lot of mk1 and mk3 belts even after having others, because I continue to have a lot of plates and beams in my inventory and fewer aluminum sheets. Those build other stuff, aluminum only makes conveyors. Also I think it looks better to have conveyors that are smoothly moving resources along rather than the jerk-stop-jerk-stop look when a mk5 belt is supplying 10 items/min.)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

zoux posted:

When the new belt type is scarce, I only use it where I need the extra throughput. Otherwise I always use my highest tier.

Like, if I have two lines, and say one takes 3 iron, and the other 1, I'll just split it the input 50/50. The excess doesn't disappear, it just fills up whatever buffers are on the short line, and then the system will balance itself. It's like a magical smart delivery system where each machine can request a resource as it needs it and the belt immediately shunts one off. The only cost is waiting for the buffers to fill.

If you like to play with the restriction that all belts are always moving and never backed up, then I guess you need perfectly balanced inputs, but other than that, doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Trying to build a plastic factory and all the guides I've found are 2-3 years old. Does anyone have any sources that are a bit more recent? I just want to know how much space I have to reserve to turn a pure oil node into as much plastic per min as possible.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I usually do the math myself on that one based on the recipes I have. You can use the Satisfactory calculator to do that for you too based on input and available recipes.

https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/planners/production

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Thanks, based on that I can output a single pure oil node (240 m3) to 8 refineries and poo poo out 160 plastic per min, with a byproduct of 80 heavy oil residue that I can send to 2 other refineries to turn into 240 petroleum coke/min that I can send to a sink or something. That seems pretty simple. I do fancy doing something with alternate recipes but this will get me over a hump in the short term.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah with enough alt recipes you can do things like a closed loop of plastic/rubber production with no waste, or use the residue to make more plastic/rubber/fuel.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dravs posted:

Thanks, based on that I can output a single pure oil node (240 m3) to 8 refineries and poo poo out 160 plastic per min, with a byproduct of 80 heavy oil residue that I can send to 2 other refineries to turn into 240 petroleum coke/min that I can send to a sink or something. That seems pretty simple. I do fancy doing something with alternate recipes but this will get me over a hump in the short term.

Burn the coke for power instead of sinking it. With the way powerplants work now (always 100 usage, even if you don't need the power), it will never overflow

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tamba posted:

Burn the coke for power instead of sinking it. With the way powerplants work now (always 100 usage, even if you don't need the power), it will never overflow

Do heavy oil -> residual fuel if you want to burn the byproduct for power, assuming you have fuel generators unlocked. It's an easier setup and makes more net power.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I had a large effort post started on how train tacks suck and how despitemy best efforts, i could NOT get proper connections to work ,etc.

And then I watched a video that side showed that tracks at max length behave different then tracks made with minimum length vs lengths of 3 blocks. Totally changes my build and now i can properly start my double track train system

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Roundboy posted:

And then I watched a video that side showed that tracks at max length behave different then tracks made with minimum length vs lengths of 3 blocks. Totally changes my build and now i can properly start my double track train system

Uhh, what? I've never had tracks of different length do anything differently

Or are you talking about "block" length with signaling

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I have so many bizarre logistics problems.
My last problem.
I can see the other station visually, I can manually drive a train from station 1 to 2.
But if I tell it to do it automatically it will go in the opposite direction and take the long way around.

I've also laid out multi station setups and had tracks refuse to connect, even though I laid it out perfectly using the same style/layout that I always use and even gave it extra length but I would then have to tear it all down and stretch it even further, because why not.

Though there have been times where I spent 30+ minutes frustratingly trying to get things to work, only to quit and restart and have it just work fine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Is this the curve thing?

Tracks can make tighter curves when placed in short lengths, and are a bit more forgiving making connections. So like if you have 2 rails that you want to connect and it won't do it with 1 piece, it can work with 2 smaller ones.

I think it's just a consequence from bezier curves.

e:

OgNar posted:

I can see the other station visually, I can manually drive a train from station 1 to 2.
But if I tell it to do it automatically it will go in the opposite direction and take the long way around.
Probably there is a segment of track in between that's not signaled correctly.

OgNar posted:

Though there have been times where I spent 30+ minutes frustratingly trying to get things to work, only to quit and restart and have it just work fine.

Trains do get into weird bugged states with their pathfinding, I've had stuff like that happen. Sometimes a good sanity test is just to delete the train and make a new one -- if it still doesn't work then it's a real problem with your rails.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 23, 2023

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

OgNar posted:

Trains always take the shortest route. Always. So my best guess here is that you have a bad signal where you can drive it manually, but once on automatic it goes other direction

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

Uhh, what? I've never had tracks of different length do anything differently

Or are you talking about "block" length with signaling

my original tracks were the max length segment, which made it hard to make intersecting curves since where i wanted to connect was a long span vs short segment lengths. Im explaining it poorly but its the difference between a working train system and me giving up in frustration.

Except now i have laid SO MUCH blueprint train tracks and apparently there is a but with two blueprint tracks connecting to each other. It shows they are connected, but the trin stops on every section. I need to redo a LOT or track

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Klyith posted:

7. temp / color swatches / misc

You can hotbar color swatches? I didn't know that.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Klyith posted:

Do heavy oil -> residual fuel if you want to burn the byproduct for power, assuming you have fuel generators unlocked. It's an easier setup and makes more net power.

My original thought was, I will be outputting exactly 80m3 of hvy oil per min which is consumed exactly by 2 refineries turning it into coke without messing around with overclocks or anything. I was going to sink it for now which is also something I couldn't do with a liquid and then in the future turn the coke into aluminium scraps or steel ingots.

I ran into issues with another refinery where the byproduct builds up and brings the whole thing crashing down, I just want something that will keep working.

My other question, built a couple of drone ports, how to people deal with getting batteries around? Is it viable to send batteries into one of the ports to have the drone ferry back to the other location to feed back into the battery storage? What happens if you get a backlog in the system? Do you end up sinking excess batteries or something?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dravs posted:

My other question, built a couple of drone ports, how to people deal with getting batteries around? Is it viable to send batteries into one of the ports to have the drone ferry back to the other location to feed back into the battery storage? What happens if you get a backlog in the system? Do you end up sinking excess batteries or something?

Probably the simplest solution as I see it is to have one drone hub location that gets supplied with (or creates its own) batteries and all your drones are taking stuff to or from there. If your main use for drones is taking end products to your mall and/or space elevator this is going to be pretty easy to achieve. The drones only need to be supplied with batteries at one end, after all.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Dravs posted:

My original thought was, I will be outputting exactly 80m3 of hvy oil per min which is consumed exactly by 2 refineries turning it into coke without messing around with overclocks or anything. I was going to sink it for now which is also something I couldn't do with a liquid and then in the future turn the coke into aluminium scraps or steel ingots.

I ran into issues with another refinery where the byproduct builds up and brings the whole thing crashing down, I just want something that will keep working.

Outputting excess oil into fuel reactors also works and will never fill up though, because the reactors always run at full speed no matter what. Just have more powerplants than fuel consumption (and underclock if you want them running constantly smoothly, I personally would just the last one on the line switch on and off constantly because I'm lazy). Not to say your idea to use the coke later for something else is a bad idea, just pointing out that you can effectively "sink" fuel into reactors without turning it into something else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

Probably the simplest solution as I see it is to have one drone hub location that gets supplied with (or creates its own) batteries and all your drones are taking stuff to or from there. If your main use for drones is taking end products to your mall and/or space elevator this is going to be pretty easy to achieve. The drones only need to be supplied with batteries at one end, after all.

What do you guys send to your mall? I ask because I'm accustomed to building one to cache stuff like belts, sorters, assemblers, miners, etc. but in Satisfactory you make all that stuff on the fly. It's cool, I like not having to worry about running out of buildables but I'm confused as to what to send there. Also am I going to need to carry around tier 0 mats for the entire game, so much stuff uses rods and plates

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

zoux posted:

What do you guys send to your mall?

Everything. It's probably better to ask what don't I send to the mall because that list is much shorter.

1. Anything radioactive
2. Raw resources
3. Ingots of any kind
4. Space parts because they have no use besides completing packages

There's probably one or two more things, but my mall is there to give me access to anything that is useful in building a factory. Anything included in a recipe for a foundation, building, rail materials, etc. all have a storage spot in my mall plus I have a separate building close by that makes every kind of nobelisk, ammo, or rebar that I have currently unlocked.

zoux posted:

Also am I going to need to carry around tier 0 mats for the entire game, so much stuff uses rods and plates

Yes. You'll get used to what you need to have in your inventory. Once trains are available, I have a very large train that I fill with stuff like concrete and plates etc, to minimize trips back since everything is on the network anyways.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok, thanks.

On factory flow: are you making all your iron plates somwhere and all your screws somewhere and you ship them somewhere else to your reinforced plate factory, or are you starting from ingots in every factory

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

making screws on-site where needed saves you a lot of belts

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't like centralizing low complexity resources in this game because getting them around is a pain. Whenever I set up a new product I almost always source things locally.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

making screws on-site where needed saves you a lot of belts

Yeah definitely add screws to the list of things I don't send to the mall. They're needed in like 2 things.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 24, 2023

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Past the beginning stages the only things you need screws for are the AWESOME Shop and a few equipment items. For anything you need to automate, there's a way to remove screws from the production line using alt recipes and it's worth going hard drive hunting to do so.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was just using screws as an example not specifically screws. Modular factories dedicated to one production item sent to another location for assembly, or do you pipe in ore to every single factory and start from there

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
started a new save cause I had that factory building itch again and decided to put the wildlife on retaliatory only and ho boy the vibes just went up and it feels a bit better not having to worry about spitters or stingers coming out of nowhere and dealing with that side of the game as much, starting up a megafactory in the blue crater first off and enjoying myself a lot more I guess?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

zoux posted:

I was just using screws as an example not specifically screws. Modular factories dedicated to one production item sent to another location for assembly, or do you pipe in ore to every single factory and start from there

Local production up to a certain level of complexity, start exchanging items between factories once distance becomes an issue. There's nothing stopping you from transporting the raw materials from resource patches around the map back to a central production location but that's going to present its own logistical issues. Doing it by train is the best bet because the rail network can expand and send out spokes to gather things as necessary, trying to do it with either drones or trucks would be a major hassle for various reasons.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

Screws are a weird case though so you'r gonna get weird answers. They're like the least dense item.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Yeah you're better off belting raw ore around than belting screws.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I've started making hubs that mass produce simple things like ingots or rubber, then I ship them to spots that need to make stuff out of them. so far I have separate factories making GBS threads out anywhere between 1250 to 2500/m for steel ingots, concrete, rubber, aluminum ingots, caterium ingots, water and crude oil. currently working on copper, then plastic is next. it's getting to the point where I can just set up a factory for things like, say, heat sinks more based on where I think it'd look cool or be convenient to a train rather than making next to bauxite. it's also helpful to be able to roll up to a concrete or cable depot for example, and just load up a freight car to take to a build site.

I've had good luck shipping water by train to "wet" factories for recipes like concrete or copper sheets by just having a train depot on the top floor, a bunch of industrial fluid tanks below that, then refineries below the storage tanks.

e; I turned on my nuclear power plant yesterday. zero waste setup, that I figured out all by my little self! except I missed that two of the output belts from the assemblers turning plutonium pellets into cells looked hooked up but actually weren't connected to the output mergers. I come back to check on things a few hours later and find a lovely pile of 30,000 nuclear waste that's close to backing up into my power plants :tif:

ixo fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 24, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

What do you guys send to your mall? I ask because I'm accustomed to building one to cache stuff like belts, sorters, assemblers, miners, etc. but in Satisfactory you make all that stuff on the fly. It's cool, I like not having to worry about running out of buildables but I'm confused as to what to send there. Also am I going to need to carry around tier 0 mats for the entire game, so much stuff uses rods and plates

My storage mall has everything that can be made with iron, copper, steel, caterium, and quartz -- which includes circuit boards and normal computers via silicon alt recipes. No plastic, rubber, or aluminum.

This works for me because my home base & storage mall is exclusively a building supplies depot. It's not my main production factory or central transport hub. It's a small everything-factory that builds stuff for me to use. So the lack of plastic and aluminum isn't terrible given that you generally don't need mass quantities of them for building, at least not all the time. And when I do, I have a cannon network so picking up 5 stacks of plastic is a quick trip.

The main gimmick is that I have a small train station that loads a mix of building stuff onto a 2-box train. So I can bring a train full of stuff with me to build a new factory, or even send the train to pick up more supplies and bring them back.

And yes, you will need iron plates and rods the whole game.

zoux posted:

The more things you transport, the more build-efficient your factories are: the time it takes to build a 2X factory is generally less than twice the time it takes to build an X factory, especially for more basic items. The more things you source locally, the smaller and less complicated your transport logistics snarl is. So it's a massive "it depends" where the answers are extremely personal and you have to navigate some compromises.

If you want some basic suggestions, I would say to always source basic iron stuff locally. Iron is almost everywhere, it's simple to make. It's the easiest thing to cut from the logistics decision.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 24, 2023

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Ok I can't figure this one out. I have 4 refineries making al solution going to 2 refineries making scrap.

The first 4 need 720 water. I do this with 4 water pumps sending via 600l pipe to them, and it's branched to each. Since this only gives 480 (120 per pump) the remaining 240 comes from the leftovers from the al scrap process. I have the output of that feeding back into the main pipe and a valve on it to assure it's not trying to backfill from the pumps, only one way out to fill the main pipe.

But the latter two refineries are backing up with water as it doesn't seem like the whole process doesn't need the water. Are the states numbers wrong on the machines? Nothing is over or under locked.

4 pumps to 4 refineries for solution, out to two refineries for scrap. Out to 8 assemblers for ingots. I did the math and it seems that on top of the extra silica from the solution, I need 10.67 contractors making sillica from quartz but so far I have 4 on and I have more then enough. I feel I read the numbers wrong on that too

This is how the math works, right? One machine outputting 360 scrap can feed 4 machines that eat 90 each. I only have 200 leftover silica, meaning I need 400 makeup from a machine that provides 37.5 each. I can't figure out why I am so far off

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Roundboy posted:

Ok I can't figure this one out. I have 4 refineries making al solution going to 2 refineries making scrap.

The first 4 need 720 water. I do this with 4 water pumps sending via 600l pipe to them, and it's branched to each. Since this only gives 480 (120 per pump) the remaining 240 comes from the leftovers from the al scrap process. I have the output of that feeding back into the main pipe and a valve on it to assure it's not trying to backfill from the pumps, only one way out to fill the main pipe.

But the latter two refineries are backing up with water as it doesn't seem like the whole process doesn't need the water. Are the states numbers wrong on the machines? Nothing is over or under locked.

4 pumps to 4 refineries for solution, out to two refineries for scrap. Out to 8 assemblers for ingots. I did the math and it seems that on top of the extra silica from the solution, I need 10.67 contractors making sillica from quartz but so far I have 4 on and I have more then enough. I feel I read the numbers wrong on that too

This is how the math works, right? One machine outputting 360 scrap can feed 4 machines that eat 90 each. I only have 200 leftover silica, meaning I need 400 makeup from a machine that provides 37.5 each. I can't figure out why I am so far off

post a picture of the valve setup on the pipes? from your description it sounds like you placed the valve on the pipes coming from the scrap refineries. If that’s the case, put it instead on the main valve from the pumps and set the limit to [total need - scrap refinery output]. the valves job is to make sure the main pipe doesn’t fulfill 100% of the solution requirement, which would leave the scrap water with no place to go.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
That makes sense, and yes that is where I put it . I thought the valve was to prevent 'sloshing' as without it, the main pipe would then start to fill up the auxiliary add on pipe in the wrong direction

What does not still make sense is that the main pipe is already limited, even at full capacity the pumps are supplying less total water then the system needs

Also the valve is limited to 300l, and each of the refineries needs 180. Unless I need to bring mk2 pipe up, and split it into 2 mk1 pipes for every two refineries, and the additional water is split between the two, but the math doesn't work out that way.

Unless it's a timing issue? Yes I need that much water but the refinery has a slower spin up time then the pump, so the pipe is filling quicker then the refineries draw, so it's never not full.

Water is fickle

edit: satisfactory calculator matches up with me exactly for 480 Bauxite into 480 AL ingots using the standard recipes for all

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 24, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Roundboy posted:

Unless it's a timing issue? Yes I need that much water but the refinery has a slower spin up time then the pump, so the pipe is filling quicker then the refineries draw, so it's never not full.

Water is fickle

It's kinda a timing issue, but not really with spin-up time. The problem is that any small disruption in favor of the fresh water never leaves the system. And because the solution refineries can *also* jam (if the scrap refineries are not using solution fast enough), it's pretty much an unstable equilibrium. Everything self-reinforces in the direction of your factory being hosed.

The easy way to solve this is to split your Alumina Solution refineries into two groups: one fed exclusively by fresh water from extractors, and the other using the byproduct water from your scrap refineries. With the amount of aluminum you're currently making this means overclocking one refinery to 133% to use up the byproduct water, and underclocking one of the others to 66%. Fresh water and byproduct water never mix.

The galaxy-brain way to solve it is to use the fluid system to fight the fluid system. You can use a buffer placed such that the water extractors can only partially fill it because they get cut off due to head lift, but the refineries can fill more. That way the refineries will always produce more water than the extractors (but it requires your extractors to be below the refineries).

A recent discovery was that pipe junctions prioritize input from the pipe that is lowest. That alone is enough to keep a balanced aluminum setup working 100%, if your fresh water only needs a single pipe junction to enter the system.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pipes and fluids are by far my least liked thing in this game. I wish it was abstracted more for simplicity more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Klyith posted:

A recent discovery was that pipe junctions prioritize input from the pipe that is lowest. That alone is enough to keep a balanced aluminum setup working 100%, if your fresh water only needs a single pipe junction to enter the system.

I think i can swing that, but my aesthetics will be totally screwed.

I am already resolved that this factory was just to get Ingots flowing, the -real- one will be made later (with my new hover pack)