Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JBP posted:

How's the Dorn tank looking for the points and stats anyway? I think it looks really cool and the pics of it mixed in with all the new guard are great.

Basically it's 1.5 leman russes in lots of ways.

Examples:

Leman Russ - 170 points (lascannon, 2x heavy bolters + armoured tacks) / Rogal Dorn (armoured tacks) - 255 points (50% more points)

Leman Russ - T8, 2+ save, 13 wounds / Rogal Dorn - T9, 2+ save, 19 wounds (46% more wounds, but T9 means S8 wounds on 5+ and S<5 wounds on 6s)

Leman Russ Battle Cannon - D6+3 shots, S8, -2AP, 3D + Single Lascannon / Rogal Dorn Oppressor Cannon - D6+3 shots, S10, -3AP, 4D + Pulveriser Cannon D6, S8, -2AP, 3D

With the Ark of Omens detachments you don't have to worry about running out of slots for anything, so your choice is:

3 Rogal Dorn tanks = 765 points vs 4.5 Leman Russes so lets say 3 Leman Russes + a Tank Commander. Bear in mind in the above example you'd probably run the plasma executioner russ with easy access to RR1s making:

Leman russ = 4D6+12 S8 -4AP 3D shots + 4 lascannon shots vs Rogal dorn = 3D6+9 S10, -3AP, 4D shots + 3d6, S8, -2AP 3D shots

Neither has unique stratagems that only work on them, but some strats cost more on a Rogal Dorn (e.g. -1D for a phase is 2CP on a russ and 3CP on a dorn).

My 2K list has 4 Leman Russ Plasma Executioners (D6+12 S8 -4AP 3D shots + 4 lascannon shots) plus a tank commander with Gatekeeper (D3+6 shots, S9, -3AP, 3D plus Lascannon). Total cost is 860 points which I could swap out for three Rogal Dorns and make one of them effectively a tank commander with some points to spare (795 points).

Having similar output spread over 5 vehicles though is a pro and a con in lots of ways, with how deadly 9th is though I personally see more value in being able to be more flexible with how many tanks you expose to return fire/charges worth more than any of the synergies from having less tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
My list has three leman russes and I think I’d prefer two rogal dorns instead. It’s mostly the t9, but also the rogal dorn guns seem more efficient to me. Obviously you have more points tied up in fewer models, which can be a weakness, but it’s not like knights or bringing a baneblade. It feels a bit better to put extra guns on it too, because it’s individually more defensive. With the oppressor gun and the extra stubbers and heavy bolters it deals incredibly well with both big things and hordes. Wounds/points it’s also one of the harder things to kill in the game (outside super heavies or things with wound limits or other wacky stuff) so you kinda want your opponent to be attacking it for efficiency reasons. It’s mainly the t9 for me though, melta, multi-melta, eradicators, fusion guns etc. all wounding on 5+ instead of 4+ is a pretty big deal.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

In my experience cutting new moulds is by far the most expensive part of any process that uses them. GW cheaping out a little on em isn't really unexpected but is disappointing

Why is that?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

wins32767 posted:

Why is that?

They're big honking pieces of steel that need to be cut with extreme precision, they need to last for decades and they're usually pretty loving big.

I used to work in printing and thermoplastic (think red plastic party cups, plastic with printed labels, etc) and the moulds were easily the one of the most expensive thing in the building

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 23, 2023

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
They're T9, you can give them the officer keyword and they can order themselves if you do so. They're 17 wounds so still can benefit from cover. They're mean as hell, I'm not in love with the model but that's ok.
I'm running 5 Russ - 1TC with gatekeeper, one vanquisher without sponsors to snipe from the backfield, and three plasma executioners. A Dorn will fit in nicely with them. The eye watering shooting phase for my opponents is about to get much worse.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I love those invictor scouts, holy crap.

Do NOT want a Guard army but I would love a Guard army.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Ngl that invictor dreadnought looks really good, definitely a nice complement if i ever get an invictor kill team down the line

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a Wraithlord that could measure for me?

I've got the old metal kit, and I'd like to at least try and put it on the correct sized base, and maybe put it on top of a rock for funzies.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Failson posted:

I've got the old metal kit, and I'd like to at least try and put it on the correct sized base, and maybe put it on top of a rock for funzies.

I have a wraithlord, lmk what measurements you'd like and I should be able to get them all tomorrow. I think however the GW site should have the base size listed.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Are there any third party makers of alternate bits for Baneblades? I was trawling a local hobby store's page the other day and realized a 1:35 model of a Japanese O-I super tank has almost the same proportions as a Baneblade and ever has an over-the-top number of turrets, and it's like thirty bucks cheaper than an actual baneblade model—but it's missing a Baneblade's sponsons. What would be a good source for Baneblade-ish sponson bits?

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Failson posted:

https://wahapedia.ru/wh40k9ed/factions/aeldari/Wraithlord 60mm

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I only played it twice, but boarding action is really good. I think they’ve finally nailed a good ‘introduction to 40k’ game, where you don’t have to learn a completely different ruleset, which doesn’t get points/rules updated, or get the new cool models added to it until years later. Also nailed a pretty good kitchen table game, that you can actually play in an hour or less. The only bad thing is the incredibly expensive, tedious to assemble, worse to paint, necessary terrain. I feel like you can just sorta eyeball it with normal terrain, it doesn’t have to be the exact same layout for it to work just fine.

e: vvv fair enough, I'm relaying my friends opinion as far as painting goes. I still think it's very overpriced :)

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 23, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

The only bad thing is the incredibly expensive, tedious to assemble, worse to paint, necessary terrain.

As a kill team into the dark player i feel it is my duty to point put the fact that you are super wrong and the gallowdark terrain is awesome and im having a blast painting it.

Im glad boarding action seems approachable and fun, will look into it in the future

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
if you spend an hour with a fairly coarse file and the ITD terrain fits together really well. the tolerances where pieces fit together are really low but it genuinely is a great terrain set.

You can also just get away with a black undercoat, zenithal spray in preferred colour, quick dry brush. pick out a few details (skulls, pipes, a couple of metal details), give them a wash then apply some rust then paint lights and screens and you get some great results. I got a whole set assembled and painted in 3 evenings of painting and have started working on my second set. you can really put in as little effort for a great effect or go whole hog and pick out every little detail.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 23, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

if you spend an hour with a fairly coarse file and the ITD terrain fits together really well. the tolerances where pieces fit together are really low but it genuinely is a great terrain set.

You can also just get away with a black undercoat, zenithal spray in preferred colour, quick dry brush. pick out a few details (skulls, pipes, a couple of metal details), give them a wash then apply some rust then paint lights and screens and you get some great results. I got a whole set assembled and painted in 3 evenings of painting and have started working on my second set. you can really put in as little effort for a great effect or go whole hog and pick out every little detail.

Nice dude this looks great! Here is my set so far:-

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
ITD crew checking in, I finished base colours and started varnishing before oil washing it later, but first it's going to the start of a necromunda campaign tonight.

I have no idea how I would have done it in 3 nights though even if I went at it like a full time job. Well done to you!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

ITD crew checking in, I finished base colours and started varnishing before oil washing it later, but first it's going to the start of a necromunda campaign tonight.

I have no idea how I would have done it in 3 nights though even if I went at it like a full time job. Well done to you!

WOW this is clean as hell great work!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I cannot wait to see these hallways all together, you guys paint really nice terrain. I’ll try to remember to take pictures of the stuff I’ve been printing for our Killteam games, but it is nowhere near as cool as those pics

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I am going to play Switzerland and say I like the Gallowdark terrain a lot but its also a pain in the arse to paint as its just boring and fiddly if you want to pick out the details.

I like how my walls look, I just struggle to find the motivation to paint the other what feels like 100 pieces of terrain!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Thank you! I dont often take pics of stuff but I started to do it when I started oil washing because it's scary to slop paint over a couple weeks work.

Hopefully the grime comes out as nice as the clean look!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/23/las-vegas-open-2023-tune-in-for-another-monster-online-preview/

So those Arbites rumors may just hold some merit to them...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
In the grim dark far future they do a cute stylised K9 on dogs

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The new Doctor Who series is looking very grimdark

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

xtothez posted:

The new Doctor Who series is looking very grimdark

grim bark

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

I've always wanted to be able to do a Cadian Blood themed army and I get dissapointed that I wouldn't have a cyber mastiff to go with the Captain, maybe I will now...

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cyberdog confirmed, hell yes maybe the arbites will be good after all!

And its a scooby doo dog too!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Those IG Avatar style suits rock

Can't stop thinking about making a little catachan squad with one as the centre piece model, just for fun.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
acab so gently caress the arbites and their dog

Al-Saqr posted:

As a kill team into the dark player i feel it is my duty to point put the fact that you are super wrong and the gallowdark terrain is awesome and im having a blast painting it.

Im glad boarding action seems approachable and fun, will look into it in the future

Also as a kill team player, i can say wholeheartedly, youre wrong. Getting into all those tiny holes, especially at the top around the light wires, can eat my rear end.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Just paint the bits in the holes first, and then dont make any mistakes whatsoever. Bing bong simple.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Just paint the bits in the holes first, and then dont make any mistakes whatsoever. Bing bong simple.

Getting into them is a brush killer, for me

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
that's why you trashy synthetics meant for children on those sections where you're going to be sloppy

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/23/angron-cant-be-banished-find-out-why-in-new-lore-from-codex-world-eaters/

Cool little lore snippet about Angron and the World Eaters, but lol that they describe a bunch of cool sounding World Eater variants when the codex has like, three units in it and they're all melee.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

acab so gently caress the arbites and their dog

Also as a kill team player, i can say wholeheartedly, youre wrong. Getting into all those tiny holes, especially at the top around the light wires, can eat my rear end.

Some men see a mountain and complain, others, like me, climb the mountain and die of hypothermia and lack of oxygen.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Angron Article posted:

If you’re still valiant enough to square up against the Daemon Primarch despite all that, you’ll have Spinegrinder and Samni’arius to contend with.

The former is a titanic chain-axe, far beyond most mortal craft. It’s also known as Persiax’s Folly – named for the traitor Forge World that laboured for decades to construct it, only to become the axe’s first victims when Angron scorned their supplication.

The latter is a daemon blade of prodigious size containing the essence of a powerful Slaaneshi daemon, whose gladiatorial posturing offended the Primarch enough for him to administer the beating of a lifetime using nothing more than an unworked iron bar – forging the blade in the process.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
imagine being enough of a dumbass to attract angron's attention for any reason

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.

Buglord
Huh, what happened to Gorefather and Gorechild then? I know Khârn got one of the axes but I don't know what happened to the other

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Not going to lie, beating a Daemon so hard that you physically beat it into the shape of a sword and then use that new sword shaped daemon and a sword is pretty cool.

Edit: typo

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 23, 2023

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kitchner posted:

Not going to lie, beating a Daemon do hard that you physically beat it into the shape of a sword and then use that new sword shaped daemon and a sword is pretty cool.

It's absolutely the kind of dumb poo poo we're all here for.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Count Thrashula posted:

Huh, what happened to Gorefather and Gorechild then? I know Khârn got one of the axes but I don't know what happened to the other

Kharn has Gorechild and Gorefather is a relic for generic Lords in the WE index.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.

Buglord

Kitchner posted:

Kharn has Gorechild and Gorefather is a relic for generic Lords in the WE index.

Well that answers that. Thanks!