Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Can't watch it now, is this the one where Watson ejaculates from a balcony?

I was reading SH in English for the first time a while ago and I almost chocked when I got to that part.

Edit: God, what a snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

That Italian Guy posted:

I was reading SH in English for the first time a while ago and I almost chocked when I got to that part.

You know without clicking that link, I at first thought you were talking about the horrible Will Ferrel and John C. Reilly movie

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Got it in one! Also included: Who ejaculated, Holmes or Watson? The text is ambiguous.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

With Holmes' coke dick? Unlikely.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Offler posted:

Got it in one! Also included: Who ejaculated, Holmes or Watson? The text is ambiguous.

On the one hand, Holmes seems like the type that would insist that they're above such things as "sexual pleasure" or giving in to more primal urges. On the other hand, he also seems like exactly the person who would claim that he doesn't have a masturbation addiction, it's just that he thinks clearer after ejaculation, so masturbates all the time.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Randalor posted:

On the one hand, Holmes seems like the type that would insist that they're above such things as "sexual pleasure" or giving in to more primal urges. On the other hand, he also seems like exactly the person who would claim that he doesn't have a masturbation addiction, it's just that he thinks clearer after ejaculation, so masturbates all the time.

The correct answer is that in earlier stories he's jerkin' it all the time for the purposes of mental clarity, then at a certain point Arthur Conan Doyle hears about some semen retention orgone pseudoscience and Holmes suddenly switches to being strictly volcel, attributing his awesome analytical deductive ability to the power of NoFap.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Then we tune out and watch Elementary, where it's explicitly stated in the first episode that Sherlock regularly hires hookers to keep his head level.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Father Brown posted:

Don't you ever feel that about Eastern art? The colours are intoxicatingly lovely; but the shapes are mean and bad--deliberately mean and bad. I have seen wicked things in a Turkey carpet."

"Mon Dieu!" cried Flambeau, laughing.

"They are letters and symbols in a language I don't know; but I know they stand for evil words," went on the priest, his voice growing lower and lower. "The lines go wrong on purpose--like serpents doubling to escape."

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

"These are evil words," says a horrified Zoomer looking uncomprehendingly at something written in cursive

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

That's cool, actually. Seeing snake patterns and going crazy is a very respectable tradition.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Media that did not age well: the shapes are mean and bad

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

That Italian Guy posted:

I heard that if you ejaculate from the top of the Empire State Building, it can kill someone on the street below if it lands on them

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I heard that if you ejaculate from the top of the Empire State Building, it can kill someone on the street below if it lands on them

That's why JJJ hates Spider-Man.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Didn't the author freak himself out so badly that he converted to Catholicism because he loved that tit Father brown so much?
I grew up catholic in a madly Catholic country, and even by our freaky standards, Chesterton was a fuckin freak.
He was a weird Catholic weeaboo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Holy Seeaboo

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I think the Mythbusters disproved that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pookah posted:

Didn't the author freak himself out so badly that he converted to Catholicism because he loved that tit Father brown so much?
I grew up catholic in a madly Catholic country, and even by our freaky standards, Chesterton was a fuckin freak.

Reverse order, Father Brown is based on the priest that convinced Chesterton to convert. But Chesterton was certifiable, women being allowed to vote was going to destroy civilization, they'd start thinking for themselves instead of filtering it through the non emotional men folk. And then that would lead to men having to think for themselves instead of relying on the emotional intelligence of women.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Pookah posted:

They're called Trad Caths now

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

grittyreboot posted:

They're called Trad Caths now

Considering he had a book out called "Brave New Family", very apt.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

saw this really good video in my feed earlier today that's a fun little blast from the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvGn9mm9bT0

it's specifically about the history of the Game Awards (formerly called the VIDEO Game Awards :waycool: ), but it's also a look into early 2000s era male nerd culture. my friends and i still laugh about how much of an utter and embarrassing trainwreck the original VGAs were, but the video also mentions things i had completely forgot existed like STAN LEE'S Stripperella and MANSWERS! ( :barf: ). Really funny to look back and see this bizarre attempt at pandering to Gamers by viciously insulting them at every turn. It truly is one of those things that make you realize that, as awful as the gaming industry still might be, that we've still made miles of progress (yes, incredibly low bar, but still).

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

saw this really good video in my feed earlier today that's a fun little blast from the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvGn9mm9bT0

it's specifically about the history of the Game Awards (formerly called the VIDEO Game Awards :waycool: ), but it's also a look into early 2000s era male nerd culture. my friends and i still laugh about how much of an utter and embarrassing trainwreck the original VGAs were, but the video also mentions things i had completely forgot existed like STAN LEE'S Stripperella and MANSWERS! ( :barf: ). Really funny to look back and see this bizarre attempt at pandering to Gamers by viciously insulting them at every turn. It truly is one of those things that make you realize that, as awful as the gaming industry still might be, that we've still made miles of progress (yes, incredibly low bar, but still).

Oh MANswers, answering the tough questions like "what animal should you gently caress that feels most like a human woman?"

I'm not kidding, they actually covered that once :gonk:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I remember The Man Show on Comedy Central, but I don't remember if it was supposed to be a parody or not. My cousin and I thought it was a hilariously stupid show

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Us gamers, man.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aces High posted:

I remember The Man Show on Comedy Central, but I don't remember if it was supposed to be a parody or not. My cousin and I thought it was a hilariously stupid show

The weirdest loving thing about that show is that the first two hosts are Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Carolla-- one goes on to be a talk show host for nearly two decades now, sucking off Disney-affiliated celebrities, while the other is a sad old Boomer of a man that no one really likes.

Then in the last season loving Joe Rogan and Doug Stanhope end up being hosts-- one is now CHUD-whisperer supreme and looks like a dehydrated testicle, and the other ended up being about as punk rock as a mainstream comedian can still get.

Its like the show was made on a cursed leyline.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Aces High posted:

Depends a bit on who was hosting it. Jimmy Kimmel/Adam Carolla had it more like a burlesque show, and Kimmel carried it pretty well. Carolla was a professional rear end in a top hat whose time ran out, and who spends his time whining about being cancelled in between trying to make lovely movies.

Doug Stanhope and Joe Rogan…well, there was only ever one place that was going :v:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

Oh MANswers, answering the tough questions like "what animal should you gently caress that feels most like a human woman?"

I'm not kidding, they actually covered that once :gonk:

yeah i didn't watch it much but it was pretty bad. i remember one episode where they asked how fat a woman can be while still being able to step on someone's balls without crushing them

Aces High posted:

i read somewhere that kimmel treated it as a parody but corolla took i completely seriously. given how both turned out, i can believe it

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I can't remember if "SHOW US WHERE BABIES FEED" was from Stanhope's time on the Man Show or his hosting of a Girls Gone Wild video.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I still remember Jimmy Kimmel mostly as the snarky host of Win Ben Stein's Money, which my mom really wanted me to auditon for because, "You would wipe the floor with that obnoxious gently caress and take his money." Pretty sure I would have gotten eaten alive on the show, but the fact that Kimmel is now a pro universal health care guy is amusing in that context.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i also just remembered that godawful cartoon spike had about some dumbass conservative radio host(?). even when i wasn't into politics back then i thought the dude was terrible

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Does anyone remember that tweet thread of the Spike employee who was spilling the tea on all sorts of poo poo since it was Spike's last day on air? How does one find that again?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

STAN LEE'S Stripperella

I tried watching a couple episodes of that when it aired, and I maintain that there was one bad guy who should have escaped the show: Cheapo, the world's cheapest supercriminal. In the finest '66 Batman tradition, he did themed crimes like stealing fake furs, or all the pennies in a bank, or the world's largest cubic zirconia. He had two henchmen, with one gun to share between them.

Every time I look at my bank account, I think of his line, "Congratulate me, boys, I'm a hundredaire!"

Phy has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Jan 26, 2023

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Is there like any media at all from early 2000's that has aged well?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I do sometimes wonder if Jimmy Kimmel ever wakes up in a cold sweat worried that people will remember that one of America's top late night hosts used to host a show where they had women called the Juggy Girls whose job it was to basically just bounce on trampolines in bikinis.

But then again he got through all the blackface stuff coming up a few years ago so probably not.

Mr Luxury Yacht has a new favorite as of 07:50 on Jan 26, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

i read somewhere that kimmel treated it as a parody but corolla took i completely seriously. given how both turned out, i can believe it

That would actually explain a lot, I don't remember much about the show but I remember having a very hard time figuring out if the vibe was supposed to be self-aware parody or not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phy posted:

I tried watching a couple episodes of that when it aired, and I maintain that there was one bad guy who should have escaped the show: Cheapo, the world's cheapest supercriminal. In the finest '66 Batman tradition, he did themed crimes like stealing fake furs, or all the pennies in a bank, or the world's largest cubic zirconia. He had two henchmen, with one gun to share between them.

Every time I look at my bank account, I think of his line, "Congratulate me, boys, I'm a hundredaire!"

Kim Possible did that with Frugal Lucre.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Fish of hemp posted:

Is there like any media at all from early 2000's that has aged well?

the wire and deadwood

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pookah posted:

He also stated that no Jew could ever be English, and advocated for them to be forced to water identifying clothing so that they wouldn't be able to pass, if memory serves.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

I can't remember if "SHOW US WHERE BABIES FEED" was from Stanhope's time on the Man Show or his hosting of a Girls Gone Wild video.

It was a ggw commercial, iirc. And it’s all I can hear whenever he comes up.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I felt The Man Show was parody, but earnest parody. Like it was them exploring and having fun with stuff and jobs that were traditionally masculine.

Like one episode they hang out with a guy who runs a junkyard, and Adam is excited to be able to shoot a junkyard rat, but then a guy in a huge rat mascot costume shows up and beats his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The girls gone wild guy did not age well. He is a fugitive to this day because of tax fraud convictions, I believe.