Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Based on the stuff that came out at the end of episode 5, I was a bit disappointed we start with about 15 minutes of the filmed stuff. As wild as it is I was kinda done with that part and was itching to find out what Cadillac was gonna say and what was on the piece of paper.

on one hand I didn't really need to actually watch all of those scenes, but also every increasingly stupid spinoff reveal cracked me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Just finished it, show is incredible. Its really fun to compare this to Fielder's stuff. You have surface level comparisons: fake snow! judaism! uncomfortable moments involving sex workers (though this goes several degrees further there then in finding frances christtt lol)

the presentation is pretty different from the rehearsal. nathan is always showing you some version of filmed reality, even if its often a very manipulated one. goldman isn't doing that, like most true crime shows its not going for reality but a story. and that ends up working really well cause yeah, this is the Goldman's true crime show, there are also goldman teen dramas and goldman as Decker.

paul sees his stories as transformative, a way to improve himself. and the show's goal geniuely gives him that chance, even if its interrogating and poking fun at him along the way. interesting stuff!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You might already know this but Woliner directed a number of episodes of Nathan for You and collaborated on it, so the similarities are more than just coincidence

Woliner (and Nathan fielder actually) call into this radio show I like sometimes and when JW was on it last week he said that Paul ate two in and out double doubles every day lol.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

veni veni veni posted:

You might already know this but Woliner directed a number of episodes of Nathan for You and collaborated on it, so the similarities are more than just coincidence

Woliner (and Nathan fielder actually) call into this radio show I like sometimes and when JW was on it last week he said that Paul ate two in and out double doubles every day lol.

you can just say the best show, i know what it is B)

also oh my god lol

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

the scene that probably had the most Nathan Fielder energy for me was in the adult store when Jason starts questioning Paul's story. reminds me of so many NFY scenes when someone says something crazy or bullshit and Nathan just deadpan asks them basic questions about it until it falls or apart or they reveal something wild about themselves

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So do these shows not have private screenings with cast and crew before throwing it up on the big screen? It seems a bit reckless to hold a big premiere without the main character having seen the final product.

I wonder if Paul actually believed the stuff he said about feeling good about getting up on screen after that, or if he was just trying to keep a mask up. He seemed a bit more strained than elsewhere in the series

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ymgve posted:

So do these shows not have private screenings with cast and crew before throwing it up on the big screen?
I'm pretty sure that was a private screening with cast and crew. You can see a bunch of cast and crew in the seats and I don't think they were just selling tickets to that or whatever.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a private screening with cast and crew. You can see a bunch of cast and crew in the seats and I don't think they were just selling tickets to that or whatever.

I thought it was an industry thing with critics, maybe I just have the wrong vision about how a crew screening would look - I imagine something more like a TV screen in a conference room with everyone in their work clothes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The private screening made me realize that the thing Paul T Goldman reminds me of the most is Windy City Heat. Although Windy City heat is way meaner. My god it's so loving funny though.

Snooze Cruise posted:

you can just say the best show, i know what it is B)

also oh my god lol

:cool: I always assume people haven't heard of it.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

the scene that probably had the most Nathan Fielder energy for me was in the adult store when Jason starts questioning Paul's story. reminds me of so many NFY scenes when someone says something crazy or bullshit and Nathan just deadpan asks them basic questions about it until it falls or apart or they reveal something wild about themselves

Also everything involving the pet psychic.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
That moment when she just off-handedly declares that Abraham Lincoln reincarnated as Obama was just straight Nathan for You. That and the shot of the framed "new" Lincoln quote.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

you can just say the best show,

Thinking about how the zeeman is a little bit of a Jason Wolliner/Fielder type character himself

edit: the interview is up on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkaGct_TGWM

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 23, 2023

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Biggest finale shock for me was this: https://i.imgur.com/UGVsXL7.jpg

Um, what the gently caress? I hope it was just some bs to puff up an application or something because it's never mentioned. But seeing that and then hearing Paul tell the whole story again to more actors, only to hear the guy playing old Johnathan say "Where was your son in all this?" and an abrupt cut was a good laugh.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Lister posted:

Biggest finale shock for me was this: https://i.imgur.com/UGVsXL7.jpg

Um, what the gently caress? I hope it was just some bs to puff up an application or something because it's never mentioned. But seeing that and then hearing Paul tell the whole story again to more actors, only to hear the guy playing old Johnathan say "Where was your son in all this?" and an abrupt cut was a good laugh.

this had me feeling some things also but "violence" is a pretty apt description for "my dad is a loving psychopath and has been stalking and harassing my stepmother for years"

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I think I read there was a time gap between the Cass letter and the murder suicide but I spent the last part of the episode feeling like there was a suggestion that the one lead to the other.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Two episodes into Paul T Goodman, and wow. The recommendations here are well earned.

Four episodes in, it strikes me that Jason Woliner 'created' a Tommy Wiseau figure in a way. The trifecta of actor/director/writer that tends to make some the best bad movies. Took money from NBC and helped a guy with a crazy story tell it. Brilliant stuff.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 23, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just finished that in a binge, wow that was one of the wildest shows I have seen. It's not as intricately built as the rehearsal but every episode it feels like at least 5 new revelations would come to light while Paul, who has absolutely no screen presence when he's acting, stumbles through everything like a giddy school child. Also I just want to say when (ep 5 spoiler onwards) the actor for Paul's fake writer persona was asked to be more like Paul and he did all Paul's weird pouting and large mouth movements I laughed so hard

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Piquai Souban posted:

I think I read there was a time gap between the Cass letter and the murder suicide but I spent the last part of the episode feeling like there was a suggestion that the one lead to the other.

I was annoyed that we never learned the murder weapon because it would have been a great takedown of that psychic lady to go "they put a toaster in the bathtub" or something after she was detailing about the grisly gun deaths.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Also I just want to say when (ep 5 spoiler onwards) the actor for Paul's fake writer persona was asked to be more like Paul and he did all Paul's weird pouting and large mouth movements I laughed so hard

That guy was the true MVP, he totally nailed it and I laughed whenever he was on screen. Casting directors better be reaching out!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Why am I just now hearing about The Curse?

https://www.sho.com/the-curse

"SHOWTIME has ordered the half-hour comedy series THE CURSE, to star Oscar® winner Emma Stone (La La Land, The Favourite, Birdman), who will also serve as an executive producer on the project under her Fruit Tree banner. The series will be directed by and co-star Nathan Fielder (Nathan for You, How To with John Wilson), who will also executive produce alongside brothers Josh and Benny Safdie (Uncut Gems) and their Elara Pictures banner. A24 will produce the series. Fielder co-created the series with Benny Safdie, who will also star. THE CURSE is a genre-bending scripted comedy that explores how an alleged curse disturbs the relationship of a newly married couple as they try to conceive a child while co-starring on their problematic new HGTV show."

Stone and Fielder are the Husband/Wife

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

One of the strangest things about PTG is the scene in the last episode when Paul is showing his dad his action movie scenes and his dad says he's impressed. Then Jason asks his dad if he loves Paul and he says yes. Earlier in the show, Paul said he'd never heard his dad say he loves him, and he's always been a total disappointment who hadn't done anything with his life, and his giddy happiness in hearing his dad finally say it... I thought was a very warm human moment in the show.

You do feel bad for the guy to an extent, and then it's like, wait, he's totally delusional and dangerous.

Another telling part is when he finally realizes his fabrication has fallen apart, and the thing he's upset about is that he was wrong, not that he almost destroyed the life of not just an innocent person, but a religious man who was helping children who were victims of a terrible tragedy.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

yeah and just lol at qualifying that apology with "if I was wrong"

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

That guy was the true MVP, he totally nailed it and I laughed whenever he was on screen. Casting directors better be reaching out!

that's Josh Pais, who has a 35-year career and co-starred in a 1990 blockbuster that you have absolutely heard of, but might never guess if you don't already know Josh Pais and the role he played:

PTG was incredible, the kind of project I wish were more common but requires a decade of work

I'm about the same age as Woliner and it's weird to think of how Paul has been a part of like 1/4th of his life now

e: a little bummed out we didn't have a thread for this show but like a lot of people I just heard about it last week

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 23, 2023

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

fawning deference posted:

You do feel bad for the guy to an extent, and then it's like, wait, he's totally delusional and dangerous.

Another telling part is when he finally realizes his fabrication has fallen apart, and the thing he's upset about is that he was wrong, not that he almost destroyed the life of not just an innocent person, but a religious man who was helping children who were victims of a terrible tragedy.

i couldnt stop thinking about this aspect of Paul's wrapping up 18~ years of insanity in those last scenes - the conclusion to the Audrey-specific side of things left me unsatisfied. what Audrey did was very bad, she manipulated an extremely lonely, gullible, sick individual to get his money; she was an unfaithful wife to the worst sounding marital arrangements ever; and she seemed to like having sex with a lot of folks in spite of her marriage. judge as you will for those 3 things, but in his grand moment where I'm supposed to feel especially empathetic for him, Paul has nothing to say about the lady he's been stalking and accusing of being a sex trafficker for 2 decades. he had a real soft "Yeah" to being asked if he took things too far and it never comes back to her directly. I really wanted Jason to push him directly, to actually bring her name up on the After side of their final confrontation. it made Paul's thing about "five sides to every story" come off as empty, having not actually addressed what was the catalyst for this entire mess of a life. softly admits that maybe he's wrong about stuff, apologizes to Zwiner, but that's the only apology. all that build-up about the PI and having Paul accuse her of being deranged, I wanted a more definitive thing than what we got. we didn't need it for the show to be good, but it's been the big question I ask after sitting on the show for a full day

no other complaints about this wonderful show

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 23, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I can't express the immense amount of joy i felt when quibi got to be part of the story

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Astro7x posted:

"SHOWTIME has ordered the half-hour comedy series THE CURSE, to star Oscar® winner Emma Stone (La La Land, The Favourite, Birdman), who will also serve as an executive producer on the project under her Fruit Tree banner. The series will be directed by and co-star Nathan Fielder (Nathan for You, How To with John Wilson), who will also executive produce alongside brothers Josh and Benny Safdie (Uncut Gems) and their Elara Pictures banner. A24 will produce the series. Fielder co-created the series with Benny Safdie, who will also star. THE CURSE is a genre-bending scripted comedy that explores how an alleged curse disturbs the relationship of a newly married couple as they try to conceive a child while co-starring on their problematic new HGTV show."

I'm pretty pumped for this. It was announced the same time as The Rehearsal but still no air date.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

wa27 posted:

I'm pretty pumped for this. It was announced the same time as The Rehearsal but still no air date.

The Wikipedia page says they wrapped filming in October, so probably later this year?

I hadn’t heard of this, but obviously I am gonna look forward to it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

*snip*

no other complaints about this wonderful show

I think that was a part I kind of liked about it. Paul's still Paul and you're stuck with that reality. If he doesn't have some real realization, then it's just not going to happen. And there was no way he was going to have a realization. As you saw, even when he was straight-up pressured into apologizing he hedges with the "if I was wrong." I think they made their point well enough. He had an opportunity to have a pretend reconciliation with her Rehearsal-style and even just pretending to forgive her pissed him off so much that he couldn't keep his composure. This was never going to end with Paul having some life-changing moment where he realizes how hosed up this whole thing was.

I did love that they managed to get the little scene where:

"Who's behind it? It could be the mob or maybe even the Vatican"
"Wait, are you talking about real life or the Chronicles"
"I don't know! :)"

Kind of sums it all up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish we knew when the revelation scenes were filmed, as late as October he was still tweeting the stuff he now knows isn’t true so I’d like to think it’s been since then. I bet he hasn’t amended the book like he said he would, but in reality there’s no story there anymore so what would even be left. Zero chance he’ll do anything as the show airing is bound to be driving sales (I think I saw a tweet around the start of the season saying it had jumped from 20,000 to 2,000 or similar).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I still don't really know what that show was. But I Have mad respect for that director. This was a real long term passion project for him.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I went into this show blind and I keep thinking of how I was immediately hooked when within the first 5 minutes they did the dramatic reenactment and I wasn't expecting much until I saw paul acting as himself doing his crazy rear end smile. Like wait what the gently caress why are you playing yourself and then he naturally goes, yes, I will star as myself! Just king poo poo

A thing that seemed very apparent throughout the series was how weird he was with women even until now, he would fall completely with the actresses playing audry and sveltna. Writing himself into a relationship with the first woman whose hand he ever touched, lol

Also gently caress Terri Jay who can't even remember how old the dog was almost 2 decades later

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Terri Jay can’t be a very good psychic if she couldn’t foresee she was gonna be made to look like a real dipshit.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Saddest Rhino posted:

A thing that seemed very apparent throughout the series was how weird he was with women even until now, he would fall completely with the actresses playing audry and sveltna. Writing himself into a relationship with the first woman whose hand he ever touched, lol

He also included a kiss in the audition scene, that seemed unnecessary

E- oops wrong word

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Another favorite moment was when he’s working on his public speaking and takes questions from the paid crowd at the end: “aren’t mail-order brides a form of sex trafficking?” :boom:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Lol at the pimp in London saying “hey sport, long time no see”

I’m totally hooked, I’ve been watching this all evening. The way this is put together feels slightly mean, but I’m not totally sure if I feel bad for him lmao.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Oh poo poo I forgot but ep4 spoiler the person who blew up the boat is the actor for the guy who defrauded him in his house painting business, right? Even he got a redemption arc!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Terri Jay can’t be a very good psychic if she couldn’t foresee she was gonna be made to look like a real dipshit.

The funniest thing about the whole ordeal is that she's a pet psychic, great punch-up to a gag featuring a psychic. I wouldn't go to a psychic for anything, but if I had to I'd definitely go to the pet psychic for pet-related stuff and to a human psychic for human bullshit. It's almost like believable things to him cause him to be very skeptical. Tell him earth orbits around sun because of gravity, he'd be skeptical, tell him the sun is being pulled by an ex-wife riding a chariot as a secret calling card he'd start pestering the government to look into it and stalk his ex-wife more.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Holy poo poo gently caress Teri Jay. She is such a piece of poo poo and fleeced this dude and drove him insane. He wanted to go down this path, but still.

E: just finished the last episode, wow that was so good. Such a wild ride. I was wondering what kind of show Paul thought he was making, and seeing his reaction at the premier was great.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 24, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Terri : "wow, it's like deja blue!" lmao

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm on the finale and Paul's reactions and sweatiness as he slowly gets confronted with the truth has some extremely Ace Attorney Witness Breakdown energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Astro7x posted:

There just hasn't been a lot of info released on it as of now afaik. will definitely do a temporary showtime sub for it when it aires though.