Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GreenBuckanneer posted:

any decent chair with arms for under a hundred?
no

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That sucks, I don't feel like chairs are worth $500-1500 either, unless one of them will last 20 years
they are; they will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
I work from home and have had my embody since 2013. They reupholstered it last summer for free when the front edge fabric was a little frayed (but still perfectly functional). Mechanically it works like brand new. I'll be quite surprised if it doesn't make it 20 years.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

no

they are; they will

Ah well, maybe in the future I'll be able to afford it then. I can't really afford even the $900 for a while for an open box on ebay, too much all at once.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Unsinkabear posted:

Let us know how it goes!

Checking back in - the chair is wonderfully comfortable and supportive, and it is an exact fit in the closet. There is zero room to spare, but that's fine - the door closes, and that's all I care about. Thank you so much!

I am contemplating an adjustment to my daily-use Aeron, though, that I need help with. I'd like it to be just a skosh taller. About an inch. Negligible. I can't tell if the cylinder has lost a bit of oomph over the last few years (it was a refurb when I got it) or if I'm just getting more sensitive to the angle of my arms with the constant use.

I've looked at replacement cylinders, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I found the counter-height replacements, but the minimum height on those is several inches higher than the max on my current chair, and that's just too high. There are several stroke levels of aftermarket cylinder, but I can't find anything that tells me what the OEM stroke is on a 2013 size B, so I don't know which one I want.

Really, though, I'm terrified of doing something wrong and breaking everything. The nearest dealer is three hours away, so it's hard for me to take it in and let a professional do it.

What are people's thoughts on choosing / replacing a cylinder? Is it really worth doing to just gain an inch or so?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Maybe try some bigger wheels? Cheap and to undo if it doesn't work for you.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

A cylinder wouldn’t be too bad either. If it’s anything like my Hag it requires a bunch of hammering (with a deadblow and block of wood), but that’s about it. I’d start with wheels too though.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Hungry Squirrel posted:

What are people's thoughts on choosing / replacing a cylinder? Is it really worth doing to just gain an inch or so?
could be! Also i have a spare set of big-rear end moon buggy wheels that i no longer need after going from carpet to hardwood. they will provide extra height and swapping the wheels is much easier than a cylinder replacement. DM me and i’ll send them to you for the price of a USPS big flat rate box.

TwoDice posted:

I work from home and have had my embody since 2013. They reupholstered it last summer for free when the front edge fabric was a little frayed (but still perfectly functional).
i have a suspicion that if Herman Miller has to send out a tech to do anything on an Embody, they swap out the cover fabric just for grins. i had an arm adjustment piece come loose on my 2012 vintage, and they replaced the fabric without me even asking or considering it.

the warranty service is very sick.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 23, 2023

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Gushing for a moment about my SecretLab chair. I wish I bought the white one instead of the light blue one but skins weren't available yet and I was worried about how quickly it would get scuffed. The different color chairs come with different color stitching on the included pillow. So now the stitching on my pillow is light blue. That looks great when the chair is light blue but I've since upgraded with a skin now the chair is dark grey and the pillow doesn't match at all.

Cosmetics and price aside the chair is outstanding, really love it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
do not buy a race car gamer chair

we are all middle-aged now

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

do not buy a race car gamer chair

we are all middle-aged now

It's not at all. It's sturdy you adjust it to your back very easily with knobs.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you like your chair, great, but that is definitely a race car gamer chair

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nolgthorn posted:

It's not at all.
post a photograph of the chair

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

There's my sweet baby.

It's very firm and comfortable only because the lumbar perfectly contours to your back based on the adjustment of two knobs. The really comfortable head cushion helps a lot, which is a magnet. Is it a racing chair? It's just a fairly expensive one competing in the same market that's the best racing chair defense I can give. It's got a "skin" on it, which means it comes off and I can throw it in the washing machine.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

That is a race car gamer chair, but if you’re happy with it that’s really all that matters

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I sit in a big chair with my wife :shrug:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

mobby_6kl posted:

I sit in a big chair with your wife too :coal:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

tehinternet posted:

I sit in a big chair with your wife too :coal:

Yes well I use your big chair as a wife.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nolgthorn posted:

Is it a racing chair?
yes

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

mobby_6kl posted:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

My racing chair was an upgrade from the "ergonomic office chair" it replaced, it's so much more comfortable. I sit in it all day every day. Greatest thing I ever bought. When I think of gaming chairs I think about of one of these.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I mean the first three look pretty much the same as the secret labs one but with different upholstery.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I don't think I'm communicating properly that mine is comfortable because it's stiff, my posture is better.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

everyone understands that you think it's comfortable, but that is definitely a gamer race car chair, and you need to come to terms with it and buy the 5 point racing harness it deserves

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
It’s fine to enjoy your race car gamer chair, you don’t need this thread’s approval

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You will need your spine's approval, however

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Don't listen to the people saying it's fine. It's not fine and you're a monster for liking it and should feel bad if you can't afford a $1,000 chair.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 25, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I want to ask, "which ergonomic office chair did it replace?" but I also don't want OP to feel dogpiled :ohdear:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

This is the old crappy chair I replaced.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Looks swanky at least

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Duck and Cover posted:

Don't listen to the people saying it's fine. It's not fine and you're a monster for liking it and should feel bad if you can't afford a 1,000 chair.
more like $1200 with the fabric upgrade, but otherwise correct

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I have a perfectly good office chair but for some reason I want a Herman Miller Aeron. I could use it for tax deduction though as I work remotely.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

That's gonna be one hell of a Herman Miller to make you exceed the standard deduction

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

That's gonna be one hell of a Herman Miller to make you exceed the standard deduction

I think the max for this kind of stuff is about 1200 EUR / year here so part of it could be deducted in 2024.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You need to push for a better discount on the chair

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Sorbus posted:

I think the max for this kind of stuff is about 1200 EUR / year here so part of it could be deducted in 2024.

Ah, very American of me to assume you are too. I'm jealous, our home office deduction stuff is pretty useless in practice.

You can have my non-wheeled Aeron if I can figure out where the heck to get a decent used Embody :argh:

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
After corporate discounts, HM Aeron for ~$1300 or Steelcase Gesture for ~$850? Or go for a used Aeron?

I went to the HM store yesterday and liked the Aeron best after a few minutes in each chair. I'm not sure I liked the Embody's upper back support (too much) and the demo unit was really creaky. Is that normal? The Mirra 2 felt alright, but the seat felt inferior to the Aeron to me. Their Cosm had the leaf arms and was too weird for me.

I'm going to try the Steelcases in person tomorrow. I think I have used the Leap v2 at a previous job and found it kinda meh

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 26, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Unsinkabear posted:

Eames lounge + ottoman with full grain leather upholstery. it’s For Work.

brainwrinkle posted:

After corporate discounts, HM Aeron for ~$1300 or Steelcase Gesture for ~$850? Or go for a used Aeron?

I went to the HM store yesterday and liked the Aeron best after a few minutes in each chair. I'm not sure I liked the Embody's upper back support (too much) and the demo unit was really creaky. Is that normal?
the Embody whips the Aeron’s rear end. i have both and it’s no contest which is more comfortable and ergonomic. the only thing the Aeron has over the Embody is that classic 90’s Tech Bubble Nostalgia design.

if you are considering paying money for a new Aeron, it is malpractice not to get an Embody instead

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 26, 2023

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

TenementFunster posted:

Eames lounge + ottoman with full grain leather upholstery. it’s For Work.

the Embody whips the Aeron’s rear end. i have both and it’s no contest which is more comfortable and ergonomic. the only thing the Aeron has over the Embody is that classic 90’s Tech Bubble Nostalgia design.

if you are considering paying money for a new Aeron, it is malpractice not to get an Embody instead

I have an Aeron.
I’m getting an Embody delivered tomorrow.

One is going into my gaming room. The other into the office room.
If the embody does end up being way more comfortable I might end up using it for my office since that’s where I spend more of my time.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Can confirm

It’s not that the Aeron is bad, it’s actually pretty good tbh, especially for a mesh chair.

It’s that the embody is better and stays comfortable all day, every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

brainwrinkle posted:

I'm not sure I liked the Embody's upper back support (too much) and the demo unit was really creaky. Is that normal? h

The tension of the upper back support should be adjustable. The first time I sat in one at a store, I didn't think it had ANY at all. It wasn't until I sat in my buddy's chair that he had well dialed in for himself (similar build as me) that I realized it could actually be really good.

As for the creakiness, I'd have to get back to you on that one. Maybe just a little bit? Presumably whatever is creaking could be lubricated though.