Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Kwyndig posted:

Training in real guns and especially automatic weapons is unheard of in Japan. The only gun you can legally own is a pump action hunting shotgun that has been deliberately nerfed with add ons to reduce its ammo capacity and the ammo you can get isn't suitable for self defense, only hunting. She would need to go to another country to get weapons and ammo without having to cultivate Yakuza contacts (who mostly only deal in handguns and other easily concealable weapons) so contracting with a PMC makes the most sense, as they'll provide her with the tools and training and as another poster pointed out, not ask questions.

I've only read the manga, but it's this. The PMC is a one stop shop for her. They train her in firearms, they'll sell her stuff she can't buy in Japan (guns, tazers, body armor, etc), and they also have the capability/black market connections to privately process her gold coins into bullion and exchange for usable money. In other back-and-forth isekai like Izakaya Nobu they just handwave it away with "oh we just drop off a big bag of silver/gold coins minted for a country that doesn't exist every week at the pawn shop and they don't ask any questions" so it's nice I guess they address this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

rocketbrah posted:

I've only read the manga, but it's this. The PMC is a one stop shop for her. They train her in firearms, they'll sell her stuff she can't buy in Japan (guns, tazers, body armor, etc), and they also have the capability/black market connections to privately process her gold coins into bullion and exchange for usable money. In other back-and-forth isekai like Izakaya Nobu they just handwave it away with "oh we just drop off a big bag of silver/gold coins minted for a country that doesn't exist every week at the pawn shop and they don't ask any questions" so it's nice I guess they address this.

In Restaurant to Another World they don't even do that. The Chef keeps a simple cashbox of other world currency and apparently just uses it to pay his waitstaff and make change.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Episode 2 and Fire Hunter already running into budget issues.

Yep, I think this is less 'production issues' and more 'the show is done from the start with a shoestring budget'.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
vlad love wasn't that ambitious animation-wise either, oshii's modern projects just don't aim that high visually. animation is rarely a money thing, even if the projects had more money it's not like having more money goes into the animators. at best it just goes into scheduling and scheduling isn't really the problem with either of these shows

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People suddenly forgetting that 'pans over stills' is a timeless tradition in anime

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Oshii loves his panning shots too! THough to be fair he isn't directing the shows per say

Still his comeback to anime has been very much a disappointment though funny given his bluster about his new way of production!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Sakurazuka posted:

People suddenly forgetting that 'pans over stills' is a timeless tradition in anime

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

nishimura's just a weird director in general whos made a lot of janky shows but i'm willing to give him some rope because i love simoun and windy tales that much

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tomo-Chan is a Girl had some good laughs. I think it's my comfort show of the season.
The third wheel girl just being chaotic provides a lot of fun.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

rocketbrah posted:

Especially since the scene almost immediately before teleporting there involved her muttering that she couldn't take a wire because it would be traceable. I did just realize that this is by the same author as I Shall Survive Using Potions!, so I look forward to some questionable warfare.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man today's In/Spectre felt like 5 minutes long

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah its good again, glad that first episode turned out to be an anime-original misfire and not representative

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
ANN reports Ayakashi Triangle is joining the list of shows being delayed due to COVID, Aniplex's third series to be delayed after NieR:Automata Ver 1.1a and UniteUp!.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Dang are the outbreaks particularly bad over there right now? I had heard they’d been spiking for awhile.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Talorat posted:

Dang are the outbreaks particularly bad over there right now? I had heard they’d been spiking for awhile.

Worst they've been.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah Japanese covid hospitalizations and deaths were at their highest ever peaks about a week ago

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
This is also Aniplex, not known for having good production schedules and perfectly capable of sending their staff to the hospital or even early death in regular circumstances. Not surprising they would be bearing more of the brunt of a Covid spike, though other studios may follow suit. Dogakobo has certainly had it rough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also china finally ended the zero covid policy and naturally thats led to more than zero covid, and a lot of outsourcing is done to china. when they say 'because of covid' they dont just mean 'because of the covid here at our office'

For instance Nier lists at least one Chinese studio, Shanghai Phantom. They're listed as doing inbetweens and 2nd key animation on literally every episode so far, which makes it seem like they're pretty involved.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 23, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1617470092400529409?t=mHGEibIm50ml1jeqkZcuLQ&s=19

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's a bizarre premise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

That's a bizarre premise.

It's a pretty bizarre manga, yes.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Darth Walrus posted:

It is the final form of the harem manga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the author talking about how 'if id known i was going to make it big with this one, i would have given it a better title' and being embarrassed that their mom says the full title every single time she mentions it

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Darth Walrus posted:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

i like the author talking about how 'if id known i was going to make it big with this one, i would have given it a better title' and being embarrassed that their mom says the full title every single time she mentions it

lol badass

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

Very high mom power level

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"this is kanojo kanojo" :ssj:

And this... Is to go .. BEYOND :goku:

I call it the hundred kanojo who really really really like me!

Sadly this was not enough to defeat Yankee YK Yuzuhana

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Must be an appealing fantasy for you

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sleng Teng posted:

Must be an appealing fantasy for you
No, Not really.
I think those weird large cast shows kind of dilute the characters so they just become pretty paper thin. Like the Anos Fan Club in Misfit of Demon Academy don't really get any individual characterization besides "The tall one. The one with the eye patch" etc.

Kind of a weird assumption tbh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The few bits I've seen of it are pretty funny. Like, it seems way more weighted to the comedy aspect of a harem comedy.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

No, Not really.
I think those weird large cast shows kind of dilute the characters so they just become pretty paper thin. Like the Anos Fan Club in Misfit of Demon Academy don't really get any individual characterization besides "The tall one. The one with the eye patch" etc.

Kind of a weird assumption tbh.

I was being deadly serious, absolutely.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'll be Sad if Hikaru no Ou is going to be hamstrung by low budget because the first episode was really good.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Fire Hunter lookin real weird and makin weird choices is part of what's appealing about it

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

and also its always good to sse some nagareboshi gin type nonsense

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
What time do the new episodes drop on netflix? I wanted to wait until episode 3 of vinland saga comes out to catch up but it only says it's supposed to come out today

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

was around noon EST the past two weeks

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

I haven't read very far into this one but I remember having a good first impression. It hits a good balance between going for extremely self-aware genre satire and also managing to hit a surprisingly sweet tone within the confines of its extremely stupid premise.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

They kiss

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

All at the same time I hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

All at the same time I hope

yes, although theres only like 20 girlfriends at the moment. spoilers for the 100 girlfriend current status