Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Some Guy TT posted:

i think pop culture has really screwed up peoples perceptions about what artificial intelligence is capable of given how commonly everyone seems to think its even capable of interpretation at all

yeah AIs will never misinterpret anything

https://twitter.com/ciura_victor/status/1581613573960179712?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

This has been the only bit of cultural footprint I've seen of the movie outside of Chapo calling Cameron the American Napoleon, wait theres also the picture of that Navii dressed up like an Operator so already more cultural purchase than the first movie

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Want to see a more realistic killer robot movie where the robot is just trying and failing to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

operator navi and spider are two pretty good memes that you luckily don't need to watch the movie to appreciate

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Want to see a more realistic killer robot movie where the robot is just trying and failing to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

you could probably find some OSHA videos about industrial robots, those fuckers have one task and they will do it no matter what weak human flesh interferes

edit:

1stGear posted:

are ai's the proletariat or bourgeoisie

they are the hammer

ymgve has issued a correction as of 07:17 on Jan 23, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
are ai's the proletariat or bourgeoisie

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

😑 what’s going on with hideo this week

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 08:27 on Jan 23, 2023

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

mawarannahr posted:

Seems like he's working as intended

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Dasha from Red Scare is in a new movie with Jennifer Connolly that just premiered at Sundance

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wizard Master posted:

Dasha from Red Scare

at some point she's probably going to be more well-known for being an actress than being a podcaster

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

no

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Some Guy TT posted:

i think pop culture has really screwed up peoples perceptions about what artificial intelligence is capable of given how commonly everyone seems to think its even capable of interpretation at all

ai isn't real, op

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

m3gan has just barely enough interesting ideas im wondering what the original script looked like before it became a generic killer robot flick youve got the main character who clearly doesnt want to deal with a kid refusing help from the grandparents because theyre vaguely weird so she can work for an obviously terrible company with a halfassed corporate espionage subplot

but any notion that shes a flawed person who created the core problem of a grieving niece obsessively believing a toy robot is her only useful source of emotional support by being a lovely aunt is mostly undone by the robot basically being a magically superpowered psychopath

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As someone who works with software for a living and in college struggled mightily to teach a robot to cross a room, I gotta say I always thought AI villains were kinda ridiculous, but I always appreciate when a movie recognizes its threat isn't that it'll rebel but that it'll follow orders no matter what

That said lmao did they really program an AI to "eliminate threats" without clearly defining what threats it should care about or telling it murder isn't an acceptable way to do that or even giving it Asimov's Three loving Laws??? That's basically building a murder machine on purpose, it'd never clear a boardroom let alone QA

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

loquacius posted:

That said lmao did they really program an AI to "eliminate threats" without clearly defining what threats it should care about or telling it murder isn't an acceptable way to do that or even giving it Asimov's Three loving Laws??? That's basically building a murder machine on purpose, it'd never clear a boardroom let alone QA

Yes it would

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pretty much all AI movies are entirely Clarke's Law anyway, you just gotta roll with it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Someone had to actively teach this AI that if you stick a knife into a person that person would no longer be able to threaten its owner, because otherwise it would not know this

I haven't seen M3gan but clearly it is a movie about the importance of proper quality assurance in product development

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

he's horny

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes it would

I'm actually not sure that creating a child companion robot that kills people at the drop of a hat would result in more personal profit for them than making sure it doesn't kill people would

Like, the boardroom scenes in robocop made sense because they directly profit from generating as much violence as possible

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

loquacius posted:

I'm actually not sure that creating a child companion robot that kills people at the drop of a hat would result in more personal profit for them than making sure it doesn't kill people would

It would make more money if it killed. Look at tesla and American fear of people interacting with children.

Anyway the movie is just a Small soldiers remake

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you could sell it as the doll killing home invaders or foreigners maybe but if it's gonna kill the kid's parents for working late they're probably not gonna wait in line to buy one

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In the movie the robot is rushed and not properly tested because of corporate greed, it's the most grounded part

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

If you could sell it as the doll killing home invaders or foreigners maybe but if it's gonna kill the kid's parents for working late they're probably not gonna wait in line to buy one

if you have the tech, you just pivot to who you're marketing to. no furniture companies wanted to buy Jack Donaghy's extremely uncomfortable couch, but the Pentagon did because it was the perfect interrogation device.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Riot Bimbo posted:

Hail Caesar is good just for the priest/rabbi scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEiDRi4Itc

I forgot the studio is literally called "Capital"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In the movie the robot is rushed and not properly tested because of corporate greed, it's the most grounded part

Well there you have it, that's the moral. Always test your products, and never purposely teach them what murder is and how to murder someone

Like, to use a real-world example, Deep Blue was programmed to defeat Garry Kasparov at chess, and it could have accomplished this easily by stabbing him with a knife, but it didn't, and it wouldn't have even if it had arms and there were knives in the room, because it didn't know (a) what murder is, (b) what knives are, (c) that stabbing people with knives murders them, or (d) that murdered people cannot win chess games. All four of these rules would have had to have been purposely taught to it and integrated into its decision-making algorithms on purpose. Thus, the danger of AI isn't in household tools randomly becoming homicidal maniacs, but in Terminator-like pitiless war machines following their evil instructions to the letter.

loquacius has issued a correction as of 15:09 on Jan 23, 2023

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

loquacius posted:

Well there you have it, that's the moral. Always test your products, and never purposely teach them what murder is and how to murder someone

Like, to use a real-world example, Deep Blue was programmed to defeat Garry Kasparov at chess, and it could have accomplished this easily by stabbing him with a knife, but it didn't, and it wouldn't have even if it had arms and there were knives in the room, because it didn't know (a) what murder is, (b) what knives are, (c) that stabbing people with knives murders them, or (d) that murdered people cannot win chess games. All four of these rules would have had to have been purposely taught to it and integrated into its decision-making algorithms on purpose. This, the danger of AI isn't in household tools randomly becoming homicidal maniacs, but in Terminator-like pitiless war machines following their evil instructions to the letter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STM_Kargu

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This actually supports my point, it's a military drone programmed to explode people and, if you believe the UNSC's story rather than assuming its operator was the one who got overzealous, or that the operator fat-fingered the "go explode people" button and didn't want to get chewed out for it, went haywire simply by exploding people in an unexpected instance. The knowledge that people are explodable, that exploding them is the robot's mission, and of how to explode them was, in fact, programmed into it on purpose.

e: like, this is the equivalent of a Howitzer going off by accident. Howitzers are dangerous enough when used on purpose that this isn't considered their main danger.

loquacius has issued a correction as of 15:15 on Jan 23, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

As someone who works with software for a living and in college struggled mightily to teach a robot to cross a room, I gotta say I always thought AI villains were kinda ridiculous, but I always appreciate when a movie recognizes its threat isn't that it'll rebel but that it'll follow orders no matter what

let me tell you about this genius inventor named Elon Musk and his amazing product Full Self-Driving

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

anyone watched this Wes craven ? I found out about it cause it used Penderecki on the soundtrack apparently

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_People_Under_the_Stairs

People Under the Stairs is an amazing film and probably my favorite Craven flick, which is saying a lot.

extremely CSPAM too

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

let me tell you about this genius inventor named Elon Musk and his amazing product Full Self-Driving

The cars aren't purposely murdering children, they simply do not care that these obstacles are in their path when they are mercilessly, pitilessly, obsessively, Terminatorishly accomplishing their stated mission of "drive from point A to point B"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I am getting the idea that people think I am making a pro-AI argument here, and let me tell you, if this were the case I would not be pointing to The Terminator, a movie franchise wherein human civilization is completely destroyed by intelligent machines, as a good example of the media trope

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

People Under the Stairs is an amazing film and probably my favorite Craven flick, which is saying a lot.

extremely CSPAM too

I loved that movie when I was a kid

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

loquacius posted:

human civilization is completely destroyed

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Yeah, People Under The Stairs is a great starter horror flick for kids who may not be ready for scarier stuff yet. Plus it has a happy ending!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i actually like alien for my evil ai go to reference mother isnt actively trying to kill the crew she just has a really stupid priority set that no one knows how to change because it was obviously designed to deal with random novelties not malicious murderous extraterrestrials

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the new episode of The Last of Us starts out really strong and it's pretty good throughout, the production quality is off the charts

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Filthy Hans posted:

the new episode of The Last of Us starts out really strong and it's pretty good throughout, the production quality is off the charts

they really nailed the "abandoned, overgrown with grime and reclaimed nature" vibe that was already impressive on the console for how detailed the environment was

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

mawarannahr posted:

anyone watched this Wes craven ? I found out about it cause it used Penderecki on the soundtrack apparently

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_People_Under_the_Stairs

yes its super excellent, very highly recommended, one of my personal favorites

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My problem with The Last of Us, like any zombie fiction I guess, is that it's trivially easy to kill unarmed, foot-mobile targets. In a crisis that was considered existential, with the amount of ordnance that could be thrown around, and for something as fragile as a fungi, there's no reason CBRN weapons wouldn't be employed. It would still be bad, and I realize there's no plot if national militaries just flatten population centres during the first week, but the genre always makes it out like it's an unsurmountable problem when I'd expect a result about on par with Omdurman, even if the first day was more similar to Khartoum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

me when creating this thread: give me the nerdiest references you have!!!

me today:

Frosted Flake posted:

My problem with The Last of Us, like any zombie fiction I guess, is that it's trivially easy to kill unarmed, foot-mobile targets. In a crisis that was considered existential, with the amount of ordnance that could be thrown around, and for something as fragile as a fungi, there's no reason CBRN weapons wouldn't be employed. It would still be bad, and I realize there's no plot if national militaries just flatten population centres during the first week, but the genre always makes it out like it's an unsurmountable problem when I'd expect a result about on par with Omdurman, even if the first day was more similar to Khartoum.

no thats too nerdy