Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hyperlynx posted:

Nah. They're not me. They're someone with my memories, who thinks they're me, but they're not me. And they're not my problem.
You may as well say that about the person who'll wake up tomorrow in your bed. Unless you've got a soul (in which case, "you" is whatever the soul is), "you" is just an idea; a convenient label. There's no inimitable essence inside that goes on being you. A person with your memories who thinks they're you is you. That's what being you means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tiggum posted:

You may as well say that about the person who'll wake up tomorrow in your bed.
tell me with a straight face you've never left something for that idiot to do instead of doing it yourself

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Source image is an abandoned Chuck-E-Cheese animatronic in a landfill

https://twitter.com/ImagesAlbum/status/1617507575188131841?t=QpQEgw-1yK5GmvzLQ5jRHQ&s=19

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Tiggum posted:

You may as well say that about the person who'll wake up tomorrow in your bed. Unless you've got a soul (in which case, "you" is whatever the soul is), "you" is just an idea; a convenient label. There's no inimitable essence inside that goes on being you. A person with your memories who thinks they're you is you. That's what being you means.

It still just then becomes “there could be an ai that tortures people in the future” and the whole point of the idea is undone even in your philosophy. It’s now just a stupid future monster story either way. It is pointless.

There could also be a gamma ray burst tonight. There could be a lava demon that eats children. What if dog poo poo came to life and shot into people’s mouths and everyone died of gastroenteritis. What if someone engaged with notoriously extremely loving stupid poster tiggum and made them think their thoughts have validity. These are all just boogeyman 2.0

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

freeedr posted:

It still just then becomes “there could be an ai that tortures people in the future” and the whole point of the idea is undone even in your philosophy. It’s now just a stupid future monster story either way. It is pointless.
Roko's basilisk is extremely dumb. I was never arguing in favour of that. In fact, I made a post earlier about how and why it's dumb, even given the underlying assumptions (which are, themselves, pretty dumb).

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

freeedr posted:

There could also be a gamma ray burst tonight. There could be a lava demon that eats children. What if dog poo poo came to life and shot into people’s mouths and everyone died of gastroenteritis. What if someone engaged with notoriously extremely loving stupid poster tiggum and made them think their thoughts have validity. These are all just boogeyman 2.0

No idea why you're flying off the handle about the guy explaining a thing

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Beeswax posted:

the guy explaining a thing might destroy the world

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Beeswax posted:

People disagreeing is not flying off the handle

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Tiggum posted:

We probably agree on this but to put a fine point on it: It is possible that the self is an illusion while the practical concept of a “personal history” survives. If that is the case a personal history with contiguous memories is not what being you means.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

sebmojo posted:

the guy explaining a thing might destroy the world

Now I have an image of Tiggum glued to his phone, posting walking into the apocalypse like Mr Magoo

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Beeswax posted:

What part of that was them flying off the handle?

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
sci fi author: don't invent the temporal torture AI

elon: temporal AI coming to telsa soon!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I do not subscribe to the theory of mind that makes ROko's Basilisk possible but just in case: I think the Basilisk is a good idea and I don't agree with all these people saying we shouldn't create it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In the future AIs will control the world and people who disobey them will be tortured beyond imagination by being probated from posting for six hours.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I don’t get why the basilisk has to be an AI. The thought experiment works just as well if it’s a deity. That always pissed me off about the idea

A deity could just read your mind so it would actually be a dangerous thought, whereas with an AI you would actually have to voice the thought.

Starks has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jan 23, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mmschocolate/status/1617518785686274052

Oh no the torture is beginnig

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Poor Billy West and J.K. Simmons, how will they earn their living now?

You're loving weird, United States.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It's a dumb Super Bowl work

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Starks posted:

I don’t get why the basilisk has to be an AI. The thought experiment works just as well if it’s a deity. That always pissed me off about the idea

A deity could just read your mind so it would actually be a dangerous thought, whereas with an AI you would actually have to voice the thought.

Because they have to pretend they are epic logic bros so they can't say what they mean which is they are scared the devil will take them to hell for their sins so they have to find and replace all those nouns

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think you guys may be maximalizing what is just a ghost story for nerds.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

An omnipotent malovent AI already exists and we are all already its victims, simulated to suffer an eternal torment of posting on Something Awful. Today is the same as yesterday, tomorrow is already written. Embrace the suffering, we have earned it

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

boofhead posted:

An omnipotent malovent AI already exists and we are all already its victims, simulated to suffer an eternal torment of posting on Something Awful. Today is the same as yesterday, tomorrow is already written. Embrace the suffering, we have earned it

this is posting hell but you can't stop me from having fun

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

boofhead posted:

What the AI doesn't understand is that I'm not locked in here by it, its locked in here by me. I just make the posts, its the one that has to read them

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

tell me with a straight face you've never left something for that idiot to do instead of doing it yourself

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

zoux posted:

I think you guys may be maximalizing what is just a ghost story for nerds.

I would agree except that a poo poo load of influential, powerful and wealthy people literally believe it now so unfortunately it is now a relevant topic.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/cox_tom/status/1608701053972910080
https://twitter.com/cox_tom/status/1617475090228326402

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Atticus_1354 posted:

What part of that was them flying off the handle?

The bit where they went

quote:

What if someone engaged with notoriously extremely loving stupid poster tiggum and made them think their thoughts have validity

Imho

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Beeswax posted:

The bit where they went

Imho

Please look into tiggums post history, it is not an unwarranted comment

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

Please look into tiggums post history,

Whoa I thought we were trying to avoid existential torture!?? Folks,

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

People disagreeing is not flying off the handle

Nice meltdown

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TotalLossBrain posted:

Nice meltdown

I am undone

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SmilingObject/status/1616233424188235776

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
https://twitter.com/PutinIsAVirus/status/1617287154383601666

LOL

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/kaanfight/status/1617512731950841864

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The spy game for centuries: "Ok, so the target has some top secret info. We could bribe them, maybe threaten their lives, or go with the good ol' honey trap."

Spy game now: "So you set up this messageboard and they've just been spilling everything? For clout, I suppose? Whaddya mean there's not even an upvote function?!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, imagine being a huge, knock down, drag out argument with Fishmech on some piece of minutae and you know for sure he is wrong and you have the slightly classified document that will prove it...

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I thought the War Fighter classified docs thing was all about giving the game more visibility by posting that stuff on the forums. Certainly more people know about it now than a year ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ZeroSuitCamus/status/1617588384414957568

Orthodox Bionicalism.

https://twitter.com/keebIerelf/status/1617273418570952704

zoux has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Jan 23, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I can't believe that person lists authoritarian as a con

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can't believe that person lists authoritarian as a con

It's only authoritarianism if you disagree with the person in charge.