Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
N'thing that Sam didn't really fit Alphi and the new voice feels much better aligned with the visuals. Taliesin felt fine-in-principle-but-weirdly-directed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

SirSamVimes posted:

I love Sam Riegel but new Alphinaud fits the character better.

oh I 100% agree, I’ve come to love him, but he was familiar and nice after watching Vox Machina in April 2022 and starting FFXIV in June

barclayed fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 23, 2023

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Loezi posted:

N'thing that Sam didn't really fit Alphi and the new voice feels much better aligned with the visuals. Taliesin felt fine-in-principle-but-weirdly-directed.

"Weirdly directed" is the thing here I think. Richard Epcar is a great VA but we still got the Praetorium dialogue.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

ARR Kan-e-senna oh god.

The only outright downgrade in the cast swaps is the Admiral.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I initially hated the loss of Gideon Emery but then Urianger became an actual character and Timothy Watson knocks it out of the loving park.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

Oh, they're all terrible. Hancock is legitimately the least trash person to show up (which, lmao), and iirc they might have cut him out of that questline when they made Ridorana less of a pain to unlock?

e: Mikoto's fine too I guess

Oh, speaking of slogs. Unlocking Orbonne was actively painful dragging myself through cutscene after cutscene featuring characters I barely remembered or understood, when I just wanted to go to some ruins and punch critters.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

little Ramza might be the most punchable character in the game who isn't a villain

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I've been right the way through the to the end of the MSQ and never touched the raid stuff beyond the mandatory one because I just always figured it would be too stressful/hard/not for me but reading through this thread you've convinced me they're not actually that at all (well, not including Savage, etc) so I'm gonna get them done if for nothing else to see how punchable Ramza is

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I've been right the way through the to the end of the MSQ and never touched the raid stuff beyond the mandatory one because I just always figured it would be too stressful/hard/not for me but reading through this thread you've convinced me they're not actually that at all (well, not including Savage, etc) so I'm gonna get them done if for nothing else to see how punchable Ramza is

HW's raid stuff lets you pal around with sky pirates and also die on an airship repeatedly and/or watch other people die on an airship repeatedly. Sometimes both.

It's a good raid series, is what I'm saying.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Normal raids, alliance raids, and the trials series are meant to be clearable by any random group of people that queue for them. They also have a lot of story and worldbuilding bits behind them. I encourage you and anyone else that has shied away from them to give more optional content a shot! Some people will encourage you to do them blind but if that makes you uncomfortable / it gives you anxiety, then feel free to look up things beforehand. There are text guides on wiki sites and many video guides floating around as well.

And to throw the usual disclaimer out: It's okay if you don't understand everything perfectly when you load into a fight. People aren't going to be mad at you because you took a little extra damage or you died. You'll get a heal or a resurrection and then you get to keep going.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Heavensward settles on a good naming convention - anything normal or hard are considered story-level content, and you can freely queue into them and expect a decent time. They're pretty much all in roulettes so queuing is painless. Some of them are clownshows, but they're good for casual content. The occasional fight might have some traps and you might die a bit, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Extreme is where it takes a bit of prep, and prog time is the norm. Only the mentor roulette hits these and that'll be a bad time for everyone.

Savage is just the next tier up, and Ultimate is the top.

However, there are some holdovers from ARR that don't fit the pattern - the Ultima Weapon trial and Odin trial are kinda extremes. They're not in the normal roulettes in any case. And the entire Binding Coils of Bahamut raids is before the story/hard split, and tend on the hard side. You probably won't find groups for there outside of having some high level players steamrolling it for you for the bonus tomes.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Unless it has "Savage", "Extreme", "The Minstrel's Ballad" (or "The Binding Coils") in the name, you can queue into it on duty finder without knowing anything about it and you'll be basically fine.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Qwertycoatl posted:

Unless it has "Savage", "Extreme", "The Minstrel's Ballad" (or "The Binding Coils") in the name, you can queue into it on duty finder without knowing anything about it and you'll be basically fine.

And once you get to SB and ShB normal raids, you'll give 7 people in raid roulette a more fun time than the a1n and a2n that are the bare minimum many people do to unlock the roulette.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

yeah it's dumb really, I've been WAR main throughout the whole MSQ and never had a problem with any of the dungeons/trial/ex trials but for whatever reason raids I always thought of as too hardcore so just swerved it but I realise I've been missing out on a lot of content for no reason! Anyway enough of that nonsense I'll power through and come back with a trip report.

I saw earlier people mentioning playing with controller, I've entirely switched from kb&m to controller and I can't go back - it's just so much nicer having everything on controller once you get your head around it!
I ended up basing most of my jobs on what BunBoss uses on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@BunBossFFXIV it's worth a look if you're struggling to find a way to make all the buttons fit!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah definitely do the raids (find some people to do Coils with unsynced for the story, everything else you can do legit)

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

In alliance raids, I just commend whoever made me laugh the most, and overambitious sprout black mages are very funny. The only thing that'll get people mad at you in alliance raids is being a tank during a "keep these adds apart" phase, but even then all you have to do is turn your tank stance on for 15 seconds and hit provoke. The community standard in this case is that party A goes left, B goes middle, C goes right, relative to the entrance to the fight.

Sometimes people will grouse if you use the LB meter sub-optimally but you can ignore them; it doesn't actually matter. Using it is always better than not using it, and it generally resets at the start of every boss.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

yeah it's dumb really, I've been WAR main throughout the whole MSQ and never had a problem with any of the dungeons/trial/ex trials but for whatever reason raids I always thought of as too hardcore so just swerved it but I realise I've been missing out on a lot of content for no reason! Anyway enough of that nonsense I'll power through and come back with a trip report.

I saw earlier people mentioning playing with controller, I've entirely switched from kb&m to controller and I can't go back - it's just so much nicer having everything on controller once you get your head around it!
I ended up basing most of my jobs on what BunBoss uses on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@BunBossFFXIV it's worth a look if you're struggling to find a way to make all the buttons fit!

This channel is exactly what I've been looking for. My WAR hotbar wasn't terrible (in fact a couple areas were nearly identical to their setup) but it definitely wasn't as ergonomic as it could have been, and I get terrible decision paralysis when making changes.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I am on the level 81 quests in Endwalker and I feel like the story is such a slog relative to Shadowbringers. I'm finding myself starting to doze off. It isn't bad - but Shadowbringers might be the best story / world I've played, ever. In particular... (spoilers for early EW obviously)

I just beat the Tower of Zol dungeon. Zenos is not interesting and Fandaniel's motivations are dull. I also find Sharlyan doesn't have interesting societal / political conflicts compared to the Brume, Doma / Ala Migho resistances, and especially Gatetown. I think they are hinting at Sharlyan having more going on underneath the surface (what a metaphor!), but, again, it is too slow. I have found the interactions with Hydaelyn / Krile to be the highlight so far.

Overall, will it pick up significantly? How close am I to it?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

EW will pick up pretty radically around level 83. Keep with it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It gets much better once you get to the next zone, which won't be long after finishing that dungeon

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Draga posted:

"Weirdly directed" is the thing here I think. Richard Epcar is a great VA but we still got the Praetorium dialogue.

Are you trying to imply the Praetorium speech is anything less than perfection?

The big thing with ARR is that there is jack all direction so the VAs who have a good showing are the ones who can self-direct as well as being good VAs. Like Richard Epcar.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

Mean Baby posted:

I am on the level 81 quests in Endwalker and I feel like the story is such a slog relative to Shadowbringers. I'm finding myself starting to doze off. It isn't bad - but Shadowbringers might be the best story / world I've played, ever. In particular... (spoilers for early EW obviously)

Overall, will it pick up significantly? How close am I to it?

I felt similar around that time but as others have said it'll soon really kick into gear!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

SirSamVimes posted:

Are you trying to imply the Praetorium speech is anything less than perfection?

The big thing with ARR is that there is jack all direction so the VAs who have a good showing are the ones who can self-direct as well as being good VAs. Like Richard Epcar.
They removed "how very glib" with 6.3, so now it will always be less than perfection :negative:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GilliamYaeger posted:

They removed "how very glib" with 6.3, so now it will always be less than perfection :negative:

Saw that for the first time yesterday, it kinda works a bit better. I would have preferred they have the WoL play a /converse emote and keep the glib, but at least this way Gaius isn't responding to us lunging emphatically.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Dareon posted:

Saw that for the first time yesterday, it kinda works a bit better. I would have preferred they have the WoL play a /converse emote and keep the glib, but at least this way Gaius isn't responding to us lunging emphatically.
I always felt it worked as a sarcastic response to dead silence and a glare.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

GilliamYaeger posted:

I always felt it worked as a sarcastic response to dead silence and a glare.

The thing is, it was intended as a response to an actual dialogue option that got removed at some point, from what I understand.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

A pair of dialogue choices that both included silence, which he didn't have a different response to from what I can tell. It still functions.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

they should reintroduce the dialogue choices now that you can't skip the cutscenes, bonus points if they force you to wait until everyone has picked

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
how long does maintenance last?

I didn't expect to be anxiously itching to play and be unable to :negative:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

they should reintroduce the dialogue choices now that you can't skip the cutscenes, bonus points if they force you to wait until everyone has picked

That's actually why they removed the dialogue options in the first place!

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

It depends on what the maintenance is doing, usually it's like 4 hours or so, but if all goes well the game is coming back up in 14 minutes as of this posting.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

That's actually why they removed the dialogue options in the first place!

I mainly remember it being absolute chaos when you could skip cutscenes if you weren't expecting it and the thing would be half over before you'd even started - good times!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Paperhouse posted:

It ended about 20 mins ago.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

GilliamYaeger posted:

It's also hosed up since the VA passed away last year.

https://youtu.be/I2jhiE3c2hE

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ibblebibble posted:

Vrtra's VA is a white guy and he also did Gosetsu. Not gonna rag the guy too much because both performances were really good but lmao

Ah but … while Vrtra is voiced by Nigel Betts it’s also worth noting that when he’s taking up the form and guise of Varshan, he’s voiced by Jo Ben Ayed.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

I remember a few years back hearing about a series of raids in FFXIV that were a love letter to FFVIII, which has always been one of my favorites. I thought wistfully about it because I figured I'd never make it there before it's obsolete content and I'd have to convince a bunch of friends to play to get there.

Few years later we picked the game up and it turns out FFXIV is not designed like that at all! Normal raids are always able to be run, the whole story's there, everything like that is tuned to be completed within one instance timer by a group of random people who don't know each other and haven't seen it before. It's a breath of fresh air that very little of the content is obsolete and not done any more.

Anyway all the normal raid storylines are good and you should do them. Plus, 4 out of the 5 alliance raid storylines are good and the one that isn't at least has fun fights. But always skip Ivalice cutscenes, always.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

never skip ivalice cutscenes

as we have suffered, so must others

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I tried to endure the Ivalice cutscenes, because I love FFT, but... I just couldn't do it. It does have some pretty sweet content locked behind it, though, and the fights in the last raid in particular are really cool! And if you're a fan of FFT it'll have you going "oh no, we're fighting HIM!? This'll be a bloodbath if it's remotely faithful."

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I just wanted to get to Bozja and skipped every single one of those cutscenes. I was very confused by the end, and had no idea why this Au Ra lady I've never met seemed so happy to see me in Gangos. I still regret nothing.

edit: The raids themselves are cool though. I CALL OUT TO THE HEAVENS AND TREMBLE AS THE BRILLIANCE OF A THOUSAND BOLTS BLINDS MINE ENEMIES AND TEARS THEIR FLESH ASUNDER!

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

IthilionTheBrave posted:

the fights in the last raid in particular are really cool! And if you're a fan of FFT it'll have you going "oh no, we're fighting HIM!? This'll be a bloodbath if it's remotely faithful."
From what I've been told, when the third SB alliance raid released there were groups that could not beat the third boss within the instance time limit. That fight has since been nerfed and we get an Echo bonus for the whole alliance raid.