Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
They do know sabertooths went extinct at about the same time humans showed up right? Like there is significant probable cause that they went extinct because of competition/hunting from humans. So basically if we follow through on the logic, liberals should win this gun control fight by hunting conservatives to extinction. Would that constitute a good comic?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Indiana_Krom posted:

They do know sabertooths went extinct at about the same time humans showed up right? Like there is significant probable cause that they went extinct because of competition/hunting from humans. So basically if we follow through on the logic, liberals should win this gun control fight by hunting conservatives to extinction. Would that constitute a good comic?

Or just a good idea.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yep, it's just a fact of life. Mass shootings are just a natural phenomenon that happen by themselves and there's literally no way to stop them. They're just ridiculously, disproportionately common in America for no reason.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Debate & Discuss Political Cartoons 2023: Extreme Abortion Clubhouse

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Indiana_Krom posted:

That's clearly a walrus.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Attempting to outlaw the most powerful guns ultimately does not solve the gun violence issue, therefore the solution is to remove guns entirely. AGC.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Absolutely no idea how this is supposed to be read as anti gun control. Pretty sure we killed off all the big apex predators!

e: unless it's a "minorities are predators" thing.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 23, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fister Roboto posted:

Absolutely no idea how this is supposed to be read as anti gun control. Pretty sure we killed off all the big apex predators!

It's attacking the idea of limiting magazine sizes, combining a couple faulty arguments used to derail gun control - a common reactionary futility argument ("criminals will ignore the law") and an ultimatum variant intended to divide and sap gun control support ("the proposed action is insufficient, and so we should do nothing").

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 23, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah no poo poo. But it doesn't even make sense as an anti-gun control cartoon because the correct response would to kill all the apex predators, ie get rid of all the guns.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This is a Kelly.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Vib Rib posted:

This is a Kelly.

I had literally the same post queued up and forgot to send it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe it's about how the advance of liberals is slow and inevitable regardless of the loss of one or two of the tribe and that terrifies Fishman?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Full Faith and Credit

Ted Rall posted:

When Republicans captured the House of Representatives this past fall, Americans were treated to the happy surprise of their rhetoric, in which they claimed they did not intend to leverage the debt ceiling and risk economic damage as they had done in the past. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. GOP hardliners are holding the creditworthiness of the country hostage even when they vote for the same increased deficits they pretend to care about.

First Dog on the Moon: Trams! They can be slow and sometimes they smell funny. Why do we love them so?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well it's good to see that even halfway around the globe the solution of trams as public transport is also welcome. My city has them and I love them, give trams to everyone.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Gary Varvel

Michael Ramirez

Steve Benson

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Full Faith and Credit

ah, good old investm

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

I remember when Sisyphus had to lift a big ball of mud uphill on his shoulders

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Kellies nomination: worst cartoon about a tragedy

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vib Rib posted:

This is a Dustin.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon: Trams! They can be slow and sometimes they smell funny. Why do we love them so?

Public Tramsportation

I'm a Tramfram too, but I call them "Street cars"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A Local 58 Cartoon

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

I honestly don't know if anyone besides Branco could make an unironic "Smartephant and the rear end" and almost immediately follow it up with an unironic "Pee pee doo doo he is a bad president".

I feel like this qualifies for some kind of Kelly award but I'm not sure what to call it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The "pee pee poo poo he is a bad president" has been present in every one of his cartoons since he introduced the Poopy Pants Fly.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Microplastics posted:

The "pee pee poo poo he is a bad president" has been present in every one of his cartoons since he introduced the Poopy Pants Fly.

There's a difference between Branco attaching a "pee pee doo doo" symbol to Biden when the subject is something else, and the entire message of the cartoon just being "pee pee doo doo" like it is here.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wonder how much barista spit Fishman drinks daily.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can’t think of a cartoon that perfectly encapsulates boomer mindset more than this. Service workers deserve nothing more than to be ground under heel and treated like dirt but also they should be grateful for their job and people should be jumping at the chance for these positions, there should be no worker shortages that impact my service time without any brain cells that can see why the first belief might cause the second

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I wonder how much barista spit Fishman drinks daily.
This got me wonder what the gently caress happened to Tinsley. He actively tweets, so it’s not like he got so blotto that he had to be put in assisted living or something. Is he pulling a Stantis and telling Fishman what to draw? The strip still follows the very tired jokes and “political point in white void” style Tinsley had, although to be far it is…not difficult to ape Tinsley’s writing style.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I thought Kevin was the MAGA bunny, and that he was running against the Hillary bunny?

No force on earth can compel me to actually check, I just took for given that Stantis has no problem having the same character represent Bill Clinton, Marjorie The Gathering and now embattled congressman Hunter Biden.

Originally, Kevin was kind of a stand-in for Bill Clinton and was married to Hunny Bunny, stand-in for Hillary. They morph meaning over time, they can stand in for whatever politician Stantis wants to make fun of in the moment. Personally, I'm okay with that, I thought Hunny Bunny being literally just Hillary Clinton was weak.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst Gaslighting

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Conservatives and cashflows – Rishi Sunak tries to put his troubles behind him as Nadhim Zahawi and Boris Johnson face questions over money"

Telegraph:

Boris Johnson adds to pressure on Germany to send tanks to Ukraine

Times:

Boris Johnson back in Ukraine amid further questions over finances

Evening Standard:

Whitehall watchdog to probe BBC chairman appointment amid Boris Johnson loan claim

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah no poo poo. But it doesn't even make sense as an anti-gun control cartoon because the correct response would to kill all the apex predators, ie get rid of all the guns.

I think Fishman doesn't "get" how Tinsley's dogwhistles work, that's why we keep seeing confused metaphors like this which as you say is an accidental pro gun ban cartoon.

He must have read some of the comic because he obviously knows Tinsley draws issues as dinosaurs and sharks and whatnot but he must not have understood what Tinsley was trying to say by doing it.

Minorities and foreigners are depicted as predator species facing us in a kill-or-be-killed situation to show how bleeding-heart liberals are too dumb to see that we just have to kill all Muslims to be safe. Stuff conservative like, guns for example, should be depicted as useful tools. The cartoon should show a caveman getting knocked out by a guy with a big club, and the foolish liberal telling everyone else they have to turn in clubs longer than six inches. That's the Tinsley way.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 23, 2023

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Pants Donkey posted:

A Local 58 Cartoon

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I honestly don't know if anyone besides Branco could make an unironic "Smartephant and the rear end" and almost immediately follow it up with an unironic "Pee pee doo doo he is a bad president".

I feel like this qualifies for some kind of Kelly award but I'm not sure what to call it.

I think it's intended as a callback to Trump trying to flush some poo poo? But maybe I'm just giving him too much credit.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger (1)

Jeff Danziger (2)

Drew Sheneman

Pedro X. Molina

Dave Whamond

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's boring but props for being an "accurate" witch hunt metaphor for once.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Gates-led climate fund backs Aussie start-up to save cattle industry (AFR).

Broelman:

Wilcox:

Shakespeare:

Spooner:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I can’t think of a cartoon that perfectly encapsulates boomer mindset more than this. Service workers deserve nothing more than to be ground under heel and treated like dirt but also they should be grateful for their job and people should be jumping at the chance for these positions, there should be no worker shortages that impact my service time without any brain cells that can see why the first belief might cause the second
Yup "if you want higher pay, get a better job" was always just a way to blame service workers for their own conditions.

If service workers actually quit en masse and get better jobs those same people telling them to do it get piiiiiiiiiissed.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

Drew Sheneman

To be honest? Probably yeah. I mean they're undoubtedly probably better than other forms of energy acquisition, but we're just sort of awful all-around you know?

Le Monde

by Ramsés from Cuba

by Micaël
"If I understood correctly, we have to live two years longer."

Charlie Hebdo

Should we cut power to billionaires?
SUD shark is for it!

SUD is a radical union. I don't know if there's more to the joke than that. Looks cool.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

To be honest? Probably yeah. I mean they're undoubtedly probably better than other forms of energy acquisition, but we're just sort of awful all-around you know?

No. Unless there's an actual, supported basis to believe something, we should not automatically believe claims by bad faith actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

No. Unless there's an actual, supported basis to believe something, we should not automatically believe claims by bad faith actors.

Yeah, I wasn't going to do that legwork, but just by hand-wavingly looking at human impact on the natural world, I'd buy it. But like in a general way that human society is just damaging as a whole.