Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

The Hausu Usher posted:

lol!

I can say that he has said things I don't like since I've started listening to him, he's put things in crappy ways or went over the top, and it's been off-putting, but I don't agree his show is hate-fuelled edgy anti-woke fare. He's far from the show made by incels linked by someone earlier because they quoted their Twitter - he's legit a wrestling star, a historian and fan. His appearances on Tales From the Territory or Dark Side of the Ring are testament to that. He's also gone on hilarious venom rants against republicans, gun-nuts and religious zealots on his show; and I've found it very entertaining. I don't really take it seriously when he jokes about some tv stars getting hurt or goes psycho talking about indie spots. I've said similar things about TERFs and Tories, I don't expect to be put in online jail for it. I also don't have a para-social relationship with the people he is taking swipes at, I don't think they or their fans should take it personally.

Do I think he's said misogynistic or racist things - yes. It's been posted ITT. Do I think he IS all of those things? I would skip his content if I did. I also think the main thing a lot of people find him guilty of is not supporting AEW. If Cornette was a champion of AEW a lot of what he's blurted out would have been forgotten about just like what happens when it comes to progressive arguments against Chris Jericho, Kenny Omega, the Young Bucks and Tony Khan. There's absolutely no drive to bring up their dodgy politics, actions or friendships/relations every time their name comes up - this place would suck if there was. I especially would be surprised if these things were brought up in the context of a tribute about someone they know who died within the very same week.

I spent the last week thinking about Jay, this bit popped up on my YT playlist I roll when I play chill games, and it made me feel better. To see a bunch of weird hang-ups people have already stated a hundred times in this thread was a bit saddening when I opened it up again.

Thinking that someone shouldn’t wish death on Orange Cassidy or spend years calling Kenny Omega a pedophile = “having a parasocial relationship with those wrestlers” okay okay gotchu thanks for the clarification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

edogawa rando posted:

Coming into my Cornman quarantine thread to espouse one's love for him is quite the mood.

Please remember that getting upset every time someone isn’t fair to Jim Cornette isn’t parasocial behavior though. That’s what other people do when they think it’s bad to wish people in the sport get hurt

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

starting to understand why that guy used to keep coming into the aew threads and posting the most braindead horseshit youve ever seen and then getting really indignant when people called him stupid

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Dying to know what the “show made by incels” is, you should have told us you had a podcast. (Jk just doing an OTT comedy bit)

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Please remember that getting upset every time someone isn’t fair to Jim Cornette isn’t parasocial behavior though. That’s what other people do when they think it’s bad to wish people in the sport get hurt

I'm not really posting because goons are really upset at Jim Cornette. I just didn't appreciate the attempt to pressure me to feel it was inappropriate to enjoy that tribute to Jay Briscoe the way I did. The gathering of the weirdo dunking hyenas is just a nice little bonus, too.

Alaois posted:

starting to understand why that guy used to keep coming into the aew threads and posting the most braindead horseshit youve ever seen and then getting really indignant when people called him stupid

Wow, it's great that you've noticed me. Thanks. The posts you're referring to were probably about CM Punk and everyone knows only Cornette listeners like him or see his side of the story.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 23, 2023

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Big “I’m not mad, you’re mad” energy emanating from this dude rn

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Taking this out because she was doxxed not a public accuser.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 26, 2023

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Big “I’m not mad, you’re mad” energy emanating from this dude rn

I've been pretty consistent in my replies - what I've been saying about the content of the Briscoe video and how it helped, then the way a few people responded as if it was an egregious offence to have listened to those stories. I won't sit and argue back and forth with the entire PSP about Cornette, and I'm not really interested in replying a booboo to people every time they bring up a dodgy wrestling personality ("OH, you like Trent? Let me tell you about his MRA Twitter likes" type poo poo ad infinitum) but I think it's especially egregious in a case where someone is sad about a recent death and just posted a little tribute they enjoyed (and at least one other person replied positively to).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bloodysabbath replying to something positively is not the endorsement you think it is lmao

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Hausu Usher posted:

I've been pretty consistent in my replies - what I've been saying about the content of the Briscoe video and how it helped, then the way a few people responded as if it was an egregious offence to have listened to those stories. I won't sit and argue back and forth with the entire PSP about Cornette, and I'm not really interested in replying a booboo to people every time they bring up a dodgy wrestling personality ("OH, you like Trent? Let me tell you about his MRA Twitter likes" type poo poo ad infinitum) but I think it's especially egregious in a case where someone is sad about a recent death and just posted a little tribute they enjoyed (and at least one other person replied positively to).

I said you can listen to whatever garbage you want to.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I've not heard anything that has made me slam shut my YouTube playlists since starting to listen on the regular late last year. A couple of those things sound like something Bill Maher would come out with, and I hate Bill Maher so you may have a point I should hate him, but I don't. I think Cornette tells a great story, is funny and I don't agree with everything or the way he puts it (as I've already said).

In summary, lol:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Taking this out because the accuser was doxxed rather than a public accuser.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 26, 2023

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

The Hausu Usher posted:

I've not heard anything that has made me slam shut my YouTube playlists since starting to listen on the regular late last year. A couple of those things sound like something Bill Maher would come out with, and I hate Bill Maher so you may have a point I should hate him, but I don't. I think Cornette tells a great story, is funny and I don't agree with everything or the way he puts it (as I've already said).

In summary, lol:

Absolute dogshit tweets

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I enjoyed Cornette when he was talking about the dumb bullshit that happened when he was booker that totally wasn't anything to do with him.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Friend, I'm glad you are able to ignore all of the hateful poo poo he says and have a good time. It speaks well of you as a person. I definitely look at a guy who calls women sluts after they took a stand and spoke out against the serial predator who sexually assaulted them and go "this man is not misogynistic, he just says misogynistic things." You just want to enjoy his funny show where he says funny things. You aren't a bad person.

Sorry, just looking a little more into this - are you referring to Jay Lethal here?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

" but are still run by trumpers"

People just posting anything on that website.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
edit: not worth it

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 26, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Hausu Usher posted:

In summary, lol:

again, really not the endorsement you seem to think it is

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'll admit he spreads hateful ideas that are only shared by the vilest scum but at least he claims to be a Democrat so he's ok in my book!

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Hi friend, no I am referring to Jim Cornette the topic of this thread who uses the show you enjoy to attack [someone who doesn't deserve it]. I can see why you enjoy this show so much.

Just using search engines to find a reference to his worst misogynistic rant and saw something about him defending Jay Lethal, but must not be what you meant. Thanks for the clarification.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 26, 2023

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"being a leftist" is not some magical loving excuse you can make for any other horrid behavior you exhibit. the person tweeting "this man is a land of contradictions" has a baby brain. a person in my friends group had a guy who was militantly very leftist but it didn't stop him from being flagrantly racist with his jokes or eventually punching his gf in a drunk rage. we didn't stop to consider his "funny little contradictions" we immediately iced him out forever which is what any sane people would do. Jim being anti-trump doesn't somehow equal out how abhorrent he's been about japanese women and women in general hth

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Love when people come into this thread to try and defend Corncob. :allears:

Unrelated, but lmao this fuckin' thumbnail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8CccM7emCw

EDIT: gently caress's sake he can't even get through a four-minute segment without being offensive about Kenny and Riho.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 23, 2023

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Almost all the really lovely things Cornette has said in the past couple years have been about people in AEW, so yeah, people probably would mention that stuff less if trashing it wasn't how he got views.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Hi friend, no I am referring to Jim Cornette the topic of this thread who uses the show you enjoy to attack [someone who doesn't deserve it]. I can see why you enjoy this show so much.

I'm trying to find exactly what this is about - is it because he was reviewing a match and said she had the "slutty girlfriend" look? Very tasteless and not enjoyable, agreed. I had the same feeling the other week when Bryan was doing the MJF's mother is a slut bit.

The podcast's retort "Jim says things flippantly" then attack about Trump donations from Jericho, Don Callis sexual assault allegations and Kip's room-mate (Jimmy Havoc) was a fair shot back I think. I find it hard to have standards about one thing and not the other. This is just from an hour of diving back in the YouTube videos, I don't have a great overview of everything - but I'm okay with making my own mind up going forward, listening to whatever pops up on my playlists.

edit: reference to the video I just listened to (around 35:10 in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f972kQsnxKg&t=2108s

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 26, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
edit: not worth it

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 26, 2023

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Jericho donated to Trump? :trumppop:

Thank you. Knowing this excuses all of Corny’s vile hatred towards women and minorities.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

edogawa rando posted:

Brian Zane articulated it quite nicely a couple of years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7mpZkmd8w

been skimming through this thread to understand what the hell is going on with jim cornette and this video was a great explainer, thanks.

cornette's podcasts are truly terrible and i'm at a loss to understand how he seemingly manages to grow his insane, rabidly toxic fanbase other than the general alienation of angry, middle-aged white dudes. wrestling has always had a fanbase which is picky but i've noticed cornette fans in crowds and a repetition of cornette talking points online so much more recently, especially on anything to do with the elite. it's really disheartening as it's by far the one thing i hate the most. it's also such a shame that the quality of wrestling in the last 10 years has gotten to heights it's probably never been at before, but instead of enjoying the huge amount of brilliant matches and different promotions that exist across the world now, a very vocal minority seems to push immense hatred and disgust at basically liking any kind of wrestling at all. it's great that communities like ours exist and that in general i think the fanbase of most promotions are far better in person at shows, but god does this man's awful opinions make online communities a loving chore to read.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hefty Leftist posted:

been skimming through this thread to understand what the hell is going on with jim cornette and this video was a great explainer, thanks.

cornette's podcasts are truly terrible and i'm at a loss to understand how he seemingly manages to grow his insane, rabidly toxic fanbase other than the general alienation of angry, middle-aged white dudes. wrestling has always had a fanbase which is picky but i've noticed cornette fans in crowds and a repetition of cornette talking points online so much more recently, especially on anything to do with the elite. it's really disheartening as it's by far the one thing i hate the most. it's also such a shame that the quality of wrestling in the last 10 years has gotten to heights it's probably never been at before, but instead of enjoying the enormous amount of brilliant matches and promotions that exist across the world, a very vocal minority seems to push immense hatred and disgust at basically liking any kind of wrestling at all. it's great that communities like ours exist and that in general i think the fanbase of most promotions are far better in person at shows, but god does this man's awful opinions make online communities a loving chore to read

Fortunately his fanbase isn't growing it is slowly shrinking.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Cornette isn't even a leftist; I have no idea how anyone got that idea. He's extremely angry at Republicans whenever the topic comes up, but so are a lot of Democrats his age.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

MassRafTer posted:

Fortunately his fanbase isn't growing it is slowly shrinking.

thank god for that :pray:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Cornette isn't even a leftist; I have no idea how anyone got that idea. He's extremely angry at Republicans whenever the topic comes up, but so are a lot of Democrats his age.

The enemy of my enemy is still a misogynistic racist apparently

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It's because he repeatedly called her slut or slutty. But I can see why he would want to attack people who spoke out since his own sexual misconduct became public during speaking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn_TpNnaRlU

Yeah, I still watch AEW despite them employing a bunch of people accused of sexual assault and others who are not only friends with, but try to help contribute to the bank accounts of, some people literally convicted of sexual assault.

I don't agree with those aspects of the promotion, but what I'm not going to do is dive in with both feet and try and shame you for posting about those people memorialising a modern legend who died taking his daughters to cheerleading practice, and I wouldn't expect a bunch of nodding dogs to pop in and pile on top either.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

can we kill this guy yet

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't this guy one of the people saying the AEW threads were bullies lol

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
They keep deflecting by trying to equate things that aren't comparable at all. Nobody in AEW has come close to spreading views as toxic and lovely as Cornette's. Even Jericho who I disagree with politically will always spread messages of cooperation and positivity every time he speaks. I'd take a thousand conservatives like that over a "liberal" like Cornette any day.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Hausu Usher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn_TpNnaRlU

Yeah, I still watch AEW despite them employing a bunch of people accused of sexual assault and others who are not only friends with, but try to help contribute to the bank accounts of, some people literally convicted of sexual assault.

I don't agree with those aspects of the promotion, but what I'm not going to do is dive in with both feet and try and shame you for posting about those people memorialising a modern legend who died taking his daughters to cheerleading practice, and I wouldn't expect a bunch of nodding dogs to pop in and pile on top either.

Friend, I already explained the issue is that Jim Cornette's product is a podcast where he espouses his hateful viewpoints towards Muslims, Asians, gay and trans people while AEW's product does not do this. This is such a problem that Jim Cornette has lost jobs over his racist conduct as well as his violent psychotic temper. I told you it's OK if you love it. That's fine, I can suggest other failed shock jocks like Antony Cumia you can watch as well.

But I can see you are a bad faith actor because you think the video you posted is comparable to Cornette's targeting of [someone who doesn't deserve it] because she once dated someone he hates. I can see why you are entertained by the Cornette cast.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 26, 2023

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Penguin Patrol posted:

They keep deflecting by trying to equate things that aren't comparable at all. Nobody in AEW has come close to spreading views as toxic and lovely as Cornette's. Even Jericho who I disagree with politically will always spread messages of cooperation and positivity every time he speaks. I'd take a thousand conservatives like that over a "liberal" like Cornette any day.

What about Don Callis or Jay Lethal?

[retracted: researching Chasyn Rance story]

Chris Jericho literally gave money to a serial sexual abuser and his wife took part in Jan 6th.

Are you a mod btw? "They keep deflecting" is a weird way to contribute to the conversation, and I don't think I'm deflecting. I'm saying since I started listening to his show there's been times I didn't like the way he's said some things (mostly being too jokey about the paralegal, gross) and I'll make my own mind up on him going forward. AEW is as gross as Cornette but I'm not going to make it my mission to pummel the point every time I look on this subforum.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 23, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Hausu Usher posted:

What about Don Callis or Jay Lethal?

What about paying a friend of the Elite, a convicted child abuser, to hire his ring for an AEW segment?

Chris Jericho literally gave money to a serial sexual abuser and his wife took part in Jan 6th.

Are you a mod btw? "They keep deflecting" is a weird way to contribute to the conversation, and I don't think I'm deflecting. I'm saying since I started listening to his show there's been times I didn't like the way he's said some things (mostly being too jokey about the paralegal, gross) and I'll make my own mind up on him going forward. AEW is as gross as Cornette but I'm not going to make it my mission to pummel the point every time I look on this subforum.

Friend, you can just admit you are a bad faith actor when you are bringing up silly conspiracy theories like the ring rental which never happened. When you have to lie to defend your favorite podcast you need to step back and reflect on what went wrong with your life.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Friend, you can just admit you are a bad faith actor when you are bringing up silly conspiracy theories like the ring rental which never happened. When you have to lie to defend your favorite podcast you need to step back and reflect on what went wrong with your life.

I'll look into that, I'll retract for now so other points remain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Hausu Usher posted:

I'll look into that, I'll retract for now so other points remain.

Why are you looking into it, you outright lied. You claimed the Elite were friends with him. Just calm down. There's nothing to look into, the rings belonged to QT Marshall. The only thing you need to look into is the hate in your heart.

And by Jericho's wife took part in January 6th you mean "His wife went to the reflecting pool after the Trump speech and never went to the Capitol" right?