Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Got assigned to the lowest league. I’m pretty sure it’s because I put zero years experience, b/c as my preference, and they needed to fill the beginners league. I’m gonna smoke some fools.

Four teams of six players that will pair up, rotating every week to play each other. Also occasionally play a team in the b league for “experience”.

First game this Sunday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Also occasionally play a team in the b league for “experience”.

lol that’s dumb.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Got assigned to the lowest league. I’m pretty sure it’s because I put zero years experience, b/c as my preference, and they needed to fill the beginners league. I’m gonna smoke some fools.

Four teams of six players that will pair up, rotating every week to play each other. Also occasionally play a team in the b league for “experience”.

First game this Sunday night.

If you got placed in the beginner league and you can smoke fools, I would recommend trying to build your teammates up instead of tearing down your opponents. It'll be more fun for everyone.

Last game some dude started skating backwards and accelerated really quickly and hip checked me while I was skating forward at full speed. Dude hit me right in the part of my thigh without pads. Holy gently caress I still can barely walk 3 days later. And I smartly finished out the game and because my leg was hosed I was skating weird and fell and maybe pulled an ab muscle. I had to skip my thursday game. Stupid injuries!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I've never been accused of being a playmaker, but I will make it my goal rack up the assists.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It's not often I get to be "the good guy" but when I do I definitely make it my mission to put the puck on my line mates sticks in the zone as much as I can.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

prom candy posted:

It's not often I get to be "the good guy" but when I do I definitely make it my mission to put the puck on my line mates sticks in the zone as much as I can.

Yeah same. I suck rear end but some people suck rear end more than me and it feels good to feed the puck to someone and give them chances to do stuff

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RC Cola posted:

Last game some dude started skating backwards and accelerated really quickly and hip checked me while I was skating forward at full speed. Dude hit me right in the part of my thigh without pads. Holy gently caress I still can barely walk 3 days later. And I smartly finished out the game and because my leg was hosed I was skating weird and fell and maybe pulled an ab muscle. I had to skip my thursday game. Stupid injuries!

I've only been playing for like 6 years, but in that time I've broken 2 fingers, bruised my tailbone, got a hip flexor strain that required 6 weeks of physical therapy, and most recently got a separated shoulder that required 8 weeks of physical therapy and a full 9 months before it stopped hurting. The shoulder injury was caused by a guy checking me into the boards (in a no-checking league) and that made me give up league play entirely. I'm too old to be dealing with assholes who are willing to cause me bodily harm to get a puck. So I stick with pickup games with the same group of people who are a lot more chill.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I actually like getting assists more than goals. Setting a bro up feels so dang good.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I like tap-ins and deflections. Nothing better than ruining a defender’s day after taking abuse from them while standing directly in front of their goalie.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

I actually like getting assists more than goals. Setting a bro up feels so dang good.

I'm second in the league with assists. I think I have 4x as many assists as goals. Lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just me, a coal train, and a plank to take shots at.

Also I've determined I am not acclimated to altitude yet.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Just me, a coal train, and a plank to take shots at.

Also I've determined I am not acclimated to altitude yet.

Bad rear end! It takes a bit to acclimate.

When are we gonna go to a skate together friend

I'm in east Denver and big bear ice arena is the closest rink despite how much rear end it sucks I go there a lot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure when I'm gonna sign up again, I'm sure I will at some point but for now I'm spending all my free time exploring nearby trails. Having national forest trailheads less than an hour away is a luxury I haven't had for like 20 years.

I'm on the south side but Denver is so small compared to Chicago that doesn't mean much, even the most remote rink is less than 40 minutes which is what I was doing every week in Chicago.

But skating horrible ice and losing my puck a thousand times in the berms was still fun.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
League play starts tonight!

Got called this morning to sub for a team up one league and accepted, played with six and won 3-1! I got a 2+10 because USA Hockey doesn’t want players to talk to refs anymore.

2 minutes for slashing - I tapped a guys stick with the flat edge of my blade to try and knock him off the puck. 10 minutes for telling the ref it wasn’t a slash and read the rule book. Oops!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

cool

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Refs love it when guys in the beginner league quote the rules to them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There was a ref that did a lot of our games that would hand out bench minors for people saying stuff like "that call is bullshit" too loud. It really killed off the penalty arguments though, proving that some strict discipline can tame an idiot.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I just yell "GOALIE INTERFERENCE" every time I let in a goal even if nobody was around me.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Vargatron posted:

I just yell "GOALIE INTERFERENCE" every time I let in a goal even if nobody was around me.

At least that’s funny.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

wish me luck everyone i havent played since elementary school but I just signed up for a begginers adult clinic! basically for adults that dont even know how to skate to learn skating+hockey. Im very excited I got my skates sharpened and ready to go and now I just need to find a stick

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

wish me luck everyone i havent played since elementary school but I just signed up for a begginers adult clinic! basically for adults that dont even know how to skate to learn skating+hockey. Im very excited I got my skates sharpened and ready to go and now I just need to find a stick

Good luck! You're gonna kill it!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Have fun!!! It is going to be great!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
One of the refs will call the game. It's pretty funny when he's sitting in front of the bench calling it and saying what we should be doing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

calandryll posted:

One of the refs will call the game. It's pretty funny when he's sitting in front of the bench calling it and saying what we should be doing.

In the instructional league a ref got so annoyed at our garbage faceoffs that after the game he brought the offending centers together and gave them tips.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I wonder if the ref who didn't call a penalty for when a guy checked me into the boards and separated my shoulder feels bad about not calling anything.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

It's gonna be awesome!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ty for all the encouragement everyone! It doesnt start for a few weeks but in the meantime I will just be hitting open skates at my local rink to try to get my sea legs under me on skates (and fall a lot LMAO)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I wonder if the ref who didn't call a penalty for when a guy checked me into the boards and separated my shoulder feels bad about not calling anything.

The ref is just happy that they got to leave on time. Can't have a stop in play!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

In the instructional league a ref got so annoyed at our garbage faceoffs that after the game he brought the offending centers together and gave them tips.

We've got a few refs that are garbage at doing faceoffs too. The worst one will stand like 4 feet back and toss it maybe possibly near the dot. Thankfully they've gotten 100x better since last season.

The first period of being a center is weird. You have to learn the timing of 2 different faceoff styles. Some I can watch the hand and swipe when it moves, but others that don't throw the puck down and just let it fall, I have to tell myself to watch the puck instead.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RC Cola posted:

The ref is just happy that they got to leave on time. Can't have a stop in play!

The number of icings called by the ref is inversely proportional to how late it is.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The number of icings called by the ref is inversely proportional to how late it is.

We've got one that actively calls it the after 11pm rules. Icings will still occasionally be called, but only the really blatant ones. I don't get why both teams don't get cranky about it. One team loses an O-zone faceoff and has to skate back to regroup, the other doesn't get the change they were trying to get. It's not doing anyone a favor.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The ref for our Saturday game never once blew the whistle before a faceoff and would just casually drop it on the dot at random times, often while someone from a line change was still on the way to the circle. He also missed some wild offsides, but some of those were because he was the only ref (supposed to be 2). The other team are also chronic whiners so it's hard to tell when he blew a call vs they just felt oppressed.

Our terrible first-season team finally got our new jerseys in. Unfortunately, we may have to send them back because they are cursed. In our first game wearing them everyone on the roster showed up (14 skaters + goalie) and every single person played their worst game of the season. All progress from adult lern2play + 15 games of steady improvement, gone like dust in the wind.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

those jerseys are fuckin DEEEEECENT! (the jerseys themselves not the curse lol)

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

xzzy posted:

There was a ref that did a lot of our games that would hand out bench minors for people saying stuff like "that call is bullshit" too loud. It really killed off the penalty arguments though, proving that some strict discipline can tame an idiot.

Pretty Busch League beer league reffing right there. You're supposed to make a few bad calls on both sides to make both teams mad. Then let it fester by calling literally nothing (including purposeful, intentional penalties). Then call a ticky tack bullshit call on 1 team that has a severe impact on the outcome of the game in order to "get control of the game back". Never give the other team a makeup call for the ticky tack poo poo call earlier.

I know it is a thankless job being a ref no matter what you do but I have the sneaking suspicion that if they called games like the way you are describing them, the games would be so much more about playing hockey than BS around penalties or lack thereof. So many times I've just seen the clock running while people are arguing about this and that like it loving matters in the end. Sometimes it is the ref though. They get lackadaisical, 2nd game of a back to back and it's already 10:30pm and you just want to get out and whoops, this game has gotten really out of hand while I was kind of not looking. My only gripe would be that the refs are the only ones being paid to be there and the only ones seemingly not watching the game. I don't know how many times I've seen an offsides or something very obvious and both teams stop...but there is no whistle. I used to get mad about that kind of stuff when I was in my 20's but I'm definitely glad to be a little older and wiser and can look at the stuff more objectively and realize we're lucky to have somebody show up at 10pm for $50 to get yelled at for an hour.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bigbillystyle posted:

I know it is a thankless job being a ref no matter what you do but I have the sneaking suspicion that if they called games like the way you are describing them, the games would be so much more about playing hockey than BS around penalties or lack thereof. So many times I've just seen the clock running while people are arguing about this and that like it loving matters in the end. Sometimes it is the ref though. They get lackadaisical, 2nd game of a back to back and it's already 10:30pm and you just want to get out and whoops, this game has gotten really out of hand while I was kind of not looking. My only gripe would be that the refs are the only ones being paid to be there and the only ones seemingly not watching the game. I don't know how many times I've seen an offsides or something very obvious and both teams stop...but there is no whistle. I used to get mad about that kind of stuff when I was in my 20's but I'm definitely glad to be a little older and wiser and can look at the stuff more objectively and realize we're lucky to have somebody show up at 10pm for $50 to get yelled at for an hour.

You nailed it on the head really. And the big problem is that the lazy ones or the ones having a bad night make it harder for the rest. They do tend to stick out and those are the ones that get remembered. I’m sure everyone has had a bunch of games where the refs just kinda blend into the game and those are the good ones.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Once again private pickup hockey stays winning. Or losing. I dunno we don't really keep score unless someone's spouse or kid is there and wants to run the board.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hey everyone, do you guys usually play with a cage helmet or just a helmet? I'm buying a helmet and not sure which to go with (I think I'll also have to check with my beginners clinic to see if they require a cage or not).

My other question: players who wear glasses, what do you usually do on the ice? I've been thinking about switching back to contacts anyway (just in general, not directly hockey related) but also was just curious. Thank you everyone!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I 100% always wear a cage and I'm not even pretty.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I always wear a cage unless it's pond hockey. Most leagues are also going to require at least a visor now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I had to get a root canal recently and I'm reasonably sure the tooth in question got hosed up from a high stick at some point when I was younger.

Definitely wear that cage