Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
yeah idg that rayman poo poo. where are his arms!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

yeah idg that rayman poo poo. where are his arms!?

uh, it's french

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ubisoft released a million ac games, you'd think at least one would be good even accidentally but nope

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
So I almost impulse-purchased the latest (cant really call it the newest when it was released in 2015 :rolleyes:) Nobunaga's Ambition. I'm assuming its not good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

QuarkJets posted:

I've posted a million posts, you'd think at least one would be good even accidentally but nope

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I seem to recall AC2 being pretty good - I thought the first was boring as poo poo, but 2 had that right mix of endorphin hits and it being kind of novel and cool to climb all over poo poo. I remember the follow-up to that (Brotherhood?) feeling like an expansion pack and dropped off there.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

there were 3 full sized assassins creed 2s as well. 4 games of the same poo poo w/ ezio

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

poverty goat posted:

there were 3 full sized assassins creed 2s as well. 4 games of the same poo poo w/ ezio

One of them was actually Revelations, and another Origins lmao. What's next Requiem and Nocturne? Vengeance?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Playing AC 1, you can tell there is/was a solid (or at least ambitious in an interesting way) game in there that was eventually dumbed down to the point of mediocrity in the middle of production.

Wether it was done for the sake of a larger market appeal vs the game they were trying to make didn't work is up in the air though.

For example, the way most activities have half-baked audio-visual cues for organic discovery that are 100% redundant with the minimap markers makes it clear that these markers (which, to me, are the main reason the game was a huge slog) were a late-ish addition.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 23, 2023

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Origins isn't the first one chronologically

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
lmao at everyone here pretending they didn't play the poo poo out of all of these. "i stopped playing after five hours but now I'm reading a wiki *five paragraphs of lore from memory*"

ac is good because climbing around surprisingly accurate recreations of historic cities is loving awesome. yeah they poisoned the well with alt-history bullshit but it still owns

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

George posted:

lmao at everyone here pretending they didn't play the poo poo out of all of these. "i stopped playing after five hours but now I'm reading a wiki *five paragraphs of lore from memory*"

ac is good because climbing around surprisingly accurate recreations of historic cities is loving awesome. yeah they poisoned the well with alt-history bullshit but it still owns

cringe

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

poverty goat posted:

as far as bad combat goes it's above average, because it requires very little effort to get it over with. just stand in the middle of a crowd of guards as they attack one at a time, pressing y when prompted until they all die

AC Syndicate must be the worst in the series because it has the canned animation combat of the early games but the RPG grinding of the latter ones.

Can’t even do a stealth takedown on a high level enemy. Hidden blade just can’t penetrate their meaty neck.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

I'm honestly just astonished to encounter someone who played FFXI through and past Wings of the Goddess. How was all that?

I went back and played it for a few months in 2020 and I had a blast, they've added a ton of systems to make it the whole game fully soloable - you now have a full NPC party whenever you want them (except in certain event zones), exp-boosting gear is plentiful from events that are running and change every month or so. Like, new events. Not just a repeating cycle of monthly events (though sometimes they do repeat), but there is still a dev team actively developing new monthly events and content for FFXI (or at least there was in 2020)

There's also a whole lot of end-game content that has been added. Like, it's the only MMO I have ever played where I felt like I never ran out of things to do at max level. Most of the end-game stuff still requires a party of players rather than AI companions, but I liked that because A) it maintains the sense of community FFXI always had and B) since it's only the level 99 end-game stuff, the entire playerbase is concentrated into the same bracket and it's not too hard to find parties (no matter what your role is). There are still a ton of people playing and the community on whatever server I played on was super friendly, helpful and chill. PUGs were regularly put together in jeuno chat by small teams of massively overgeared players who could carry everyone else through things like weekly boss kills with great rewards so it wasn't difficult to find footing at level 99.

I ended up leveling almost every class in the game to 99 (there's so much exp-boosting stuff that going 1-99 on a class beyond your first is one or two full days of playing solo, the first one takes maybe a week, and you can very affordably buy powerleveling from people for in-game gil that will take you from like level 20 to 99 in an hour or 2 - I ended up selling powerleveling to fund myself :shrug:). I even grinded out a huge amount of, I forget what they're called but basically bonus levels that you can gain at 99 that give you passive bonuses to make a class stronger. I mean I grinded like 500 or something of those levels on Rune Fencer, and at that point it was straight up like oldschool FFXI grinding (be careful with pulls, make sure your full party is attentive, grind for long hours).

At some point they added a really cool system that I forget the name of, but it's a series of personal missions that you follow from level 1 all the way to level 99 and well beyond, and what it does is guide you through the entire main story of the game, taking you through appropriately-leveled tours of pretty much every zone in the game, and every major mission - except with new additions: the characters from the newest expansion pop into the missions, cutscenes and dialog from throughout the entire game, so the cutscenes are slightly different than they were in the past, etc.

Following it provides a tooooon of QoL/utility/etc type bonuses (exp buffs, fast travel, high-end gear, all kinds of things). It lets you go through and experience all of FFXI as a well-packaged singleplayer RPG without all the tedium and bullshit that was in it back in the day. It gets pretty out there with its plot though, I forget the details but IIRC it was sort of like a weird meta-narrative introducing new end-game villains who knew that the world of vana'diel is just a game or something and these new characters are the techno-gods who programmed it. In the context of a lot of other games it would have been pretty dorky and dumb, but in the context of current FFXI it feels like a very appropriate send-off to the game, because at this point it's a 22+ year old MMO and it's sort of recontextualized as this new end-game content being an entirely new narrative and story that you lore-abidingly get rushed/helped through by all of these new QoL features and like, that 'remixes' the game's old content in neat ways. It absolutely shatters the 4th wall in several places and really feels like a love letter from the devs to all the players.

In a lot of ways FFXI right now is a sort of museum to what FFXI was and the things that made it unique among MMOs. The mission line mentioned above is like a guided museum tour that makes sure you hit all of the important notes of the story without needing another player's help. The gift shop is full of experience boosters and various other neat/helpful/convenient things that you buy for in-game currency. I legitimately think I had more fun with my 2nd go of FFXI than I've ever had with another MMO. (Also I'm weird and would already have said FFXI was the best MMO ever prior to that)

But I mean, caveat emptor - this is a 20+ year old PS2 MMO. It's a very unique kind of janky and I might have been overwhelmed by things like the UI and the controls if they didn't come flooding back to me in a massive nostalgia rush as soon as I booted up the PlayOnline launcher for the first time and heard that music. I played a lot of FFXI when I was young and made some good friends in it, and this return trip was more jam-packed with nostalgia than anything I've experienced before. Like, drat, every single zone in FFXI is oozing with personality. Everywhere I went brought back memories. I stepped into Yhoator/Yuhtunga and literally tasted mango juice because at whatever point in time I was leveling my WHM through there in the oldschool FFXI days I was drinking a lot of mango juice.

There's a whole pokemon system for collecting NPC party members (with some being way stronger than others, but harder to unlock). There are multiple event zones with neat gimmicks added through various expansions over the years. There's content that's still difficult. Everything still feels like an adventure.

Every single piece of pure tedium has been removed. You don't have to feed a chocobo 3x daily for a week to get a chocobo license anymore. There's a mod that lets you skip boat/airship travel times.

Anyway drat :allears: Writing all of that up kind of makes me want to resub for a bit.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 23, 2023

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Anyone played mech armada? I'm a sucker for giant robot bullshit and the preview vid looks kinda fun.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That loving Sned posted:

Can’t even do a stealth takedown on a high level enemy. Hidden blade just can’t penetrate their meaty neck.

That's the worst about Nü-AssCreeds.
They removed the ability to assassinate boss-enemies. They just take some hp damage instead.
Which is missing the point of being the Assassin game.

Also bloaty game worlds, but that's Ubisoft for you.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

George posted:

no they are definitely getting that lore off the wiki because nobody who actualy played the games would either know or care about the boring skippable scifi framing in between the bits about climbing italian cathedrals

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

One of them was actually Revelations, and another Origins lmao. What's next Requiem and Nocturne? Vengeance?

Assassins Creed: Exodus where Moses is an assassin

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

poverty goat posted:

Assassins Creed: Exodus where Moses is an assassin

you joke but they will do this eventually

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lol look at all these morons who didn't drop Assassin Creed in the tutorial, unlike me. I forget which one, but I bet it doesn't matter.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Assassins Creed 2 was also peak "Make everything grey because that's more realistic" so it just looked like absolute dogshit. Behold, the beautiful rolling green hills of Italy.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
You could play a bunch of real old timey board games in 3 and that was probably the most fun I had with the series.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i only played some of the pirate one and it was fun cos you could sail a ship about and do some swashbuckling. i remember nothing of the story.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

George posted:

Sorry you like the bad video game series enough to get mad when people talk about how bad it is OP. I'm sure Ubisoft appreciates your defense and will reward you, perhaps with an offer to remove your brainworms

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I can honestly say that I have played <2 hours of AC across all games/platforms in my life :colbert:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I have played many AC games and thought they were enjoyable, better uses of my time than watching reruns or staring at a wall.

But I haven't touched one since the second #2 spinoff.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Beartaco posted:

Assassins Creed 2 was also peak "Make everything grey because that's more realistic" so it just looked like absolute dogshit. Behold, the beautiful rolling green hills of Italy.

I liked the brown filter, but looking back, I gotta say I must have been loving stupid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Beartaco posted:

That PS360 era of gray and brown will forever be mocked and it deserves it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I just got a Saturn for the first time ever and the colors are pretty colorful.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The trouble with AC games is that, while fun, you've seen everything the game has to offer about an hour or two in, without exception.

You've fought all the different types of enemies with every type of weapon and cleared out locations in every way possible. All that is left after that is doing functionally identical tasks for the next 20 to 60 hours while the main story and the universally lame side stories unfold.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

lewd

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

kntfkr posted:

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

The trouble with AC games is that, while fun, you've seen everything the game has to offer about an hour or two in, without exception.

You've fought all the different types of enemies with every type of weapon and cleared out locations in every way possible. All that is left after that is doing functionally identical tasks for the next 20 to 60 hours while the main story and the universally lame side stories unfold.

The early AC games had some really cool, unique climbing setpiece puzzles to break up the monotony but the later ones replaced them with big, flashy linear "hold forwards and press jump at the right time" spectacles instead.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vampire Panties posted:

I can honestly say that I have played <2 hours of AC across all games/platforms in my life :colbert:

I can honestly say I had a lot of fun with Black Flag, the one set in London where you play as the twins, and Ezio. But I think I have had enough assassins creed for the next decade at least. The sci-fi modern day story bullshit is like who cares though, it's even more of a bummer because it supersedes the resolution of the individual stories

capitalCORN
Mar 27, 2005
Horizon is just Avatar redux.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Random Stranger posted:

That PS360 era of gray and brown will forever be mocked and it deserves it.

Resident Evil 5 has to be one of the worst examples. Horror is when you slather the Doo-Doo Filter on everything

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

George posted:

Lmao

I have played a total of three hours of AC total, it was aciv and I played it on my modded wiiu for free after someone mentioned the ship combat is fun.

Ac fuckin sucks and some of us aren’t “pretending”

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Lmao

I have played a total of three hours of AC total, it was aciv and I played it on my modded wiiu for free after someone mentioned the ship combat is fun.

Ac fuckin sucks and some of us aren’t “pretending”

The common refrain is that Assassin's Creed 4 is the good one because you can gently caress off and be a pirate and ignore all the Assassin's Creed poo poo.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

kntfkr posted:

I discovered in seventh grade that due to its cancellation you could get used Saturns for 25 bucks at funcoland.

I bought like five and flipped em to classmates. Wish I’d bought more the Saturn fuckin rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mass Effect 1 is the best game in the franchise.

Despite all of its flaws, the game it was trying to be was so much more interesting than its more polished sequels that it's the only one I care to remember.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 24, 2023