Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

They were also trying to tell us concussed football players and daytime talk show doctors were going to fix the economy.

I'm not suggesting that they ran well on the economy, just that they didn't ignore it completely in favor of bigotry and conspiracy theories as others have implied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

-Blackadder- posted:

Additionally to those points, DeSantis has a "glass jaw"; he can't handle media confrontation. There's a good article rolling around detailing how he only engages with Conservative media and has blocked all MSM from his events. That may not play on the national stage

Here's the article mentioned.

There seems to be some debate on whether or not this is untenable or part of a new paradigm.
https://twitter.com/SantinaLeuci/status/1613000159658672128

quote:

Assigned to cover the re-election campaign of Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida, Miles Cohen, a young ABC News reporter, found himself stymied. The governor would not grant him an interview. Aides barred him from some campaign events and interrupted his conversations with supporters.

When Mr. Cohen was finally able to ask a question about the governor’s handling of Hurricane Ian, Mr. DeSantis shouted him down — “Stop, stop, stop” — and scolded the media for “trying to cast aspersions.” The DeSantis campaign then taunted Mr. Cohen on Twitter, prompting a torrent of online vitriol.

So on election night, Mr. Cohen decamped to a friendlier environment for the news media: Mar-a-Lago, where former President Donald J. Trump greeted reporters by name. “He came up to us, asked how the sandwiches were and took 20 questions,” Mr. Cohen recalled.

Mr. Trump, who heckled the “fake news” in his speech that evening, elevated media-bashing into a high art for Republicans. But ahead of the next presidential race, potential candidates like Mr. DeSantis are taking a more radical approach: not just attacking nonpartisan news outlets, but ignoring them altogether.

Although he courted right-wing podcasters and conservative Fox News hosts, Mr. DeSantis did not grant an extensive interview to a national nonpartisan news organization during his 2022 re-election bid — and he coasted to victory, with Rupert Murdoch’s media empire now promoting him as a 2024 contender.

His success is an ominous sign for the usual rules of engagement between politicians and the press as another nationwide election looms. Presidential candidates typically endure media scrutiny in exchange for the megaphone and influence of mainstream outlets. But in an intensely partisan, choose-your-own-news era, the traditional calculus may have shifted.

“The old way of looking at it is: ‘I have to do every media hit that I possibly can, from as broad a political spectrum as I can, to reach as many people as possible,’” said Nick Iarossi, a longtime DeSantis supporter and a lobbyist in Tallahassee. “The new way of looking at it is: ‘I really don’t need to do that anymore. I can control how I want to message to voters through the mediums I choose.’”

In 2022, Mr. DeSantis was not alone. Doug Mastriano, the Republican who ran for governor in Pennsylvania, engaged almost entirely with conservative media outlets. (Unlike Mr. DeSantis, Mr. Mastriano lost badly.) In Maryland and Wisconsin, reporters covering the Republican candidates for governor were often given no notice for some events, resorting to Eventbrite pages and social media to find a candidate’s whereabouts. On a national level, the Republican Party announced last year that it was boycotting the Commission on Presidential Debates, the nonpartisan group that has organized general election debates since 1988.

“We fully expect candidates will be rewriting the traditional rules of access and how they interact with journalists,” said Rick Klein, who is preparing to cover the 2024 race as political director at ABC News.

Could a presidential candidate realistically avoid the mainstream media entirely? “I don’t think it’s been done before,” Mr. Klein said. “But I think the last couple of years in politics has taught us there’s lots of rules that get broken.”

Mr. DeSantis’s strategy would face its biggest test if he pursued a presidential bid, a decision he has so far demurred on.

In Florida, Mr. DeSantis occasionally spoke with local TV affiliates and entertained shouted-out questions from the state’s press corps. But a national contest would require him to introduce himself to a broader audience, and while a primary race would focus on Republican voters, it is often independents and centrists who decide the fine margins of the Electoral College. Although partisan podcasts and niche news sites are increasingly popular, few outlets can match the reach of traditional broadcast and cable networks.

“You can’t just talk to the friendly press and run TV ads and expect to win a nomination,” said Alex Conant, a partner at the consulting firm Firehouse Strategies who served as communications director to Senator Marco Rubio of Florida.

“If you’re going to get elected president, you have to talk to people who have never watched Fox News,” said Mr. Conant, who believes the Republican Party’s underwhelming performance in the 2022 midterms was partly due to an overreliance on speaking only to its base.

Representatives of Mr. DeSantis did not return a request for comment.

Mr. Trump pioneered some of these aggressive tactics, barring journalists from a number of publications, including BuzzFeed News and The Washington Post, from attending some rallies in his 2016 campaign, and pulling out of a planned general-election debate in October 2020. His administration revoked a CNN reporter’s press pass and barred disfavored journalists from some public events; his former chief strategist, Stephen K. Bannon, declared the media as “the opposition party.”

Still, Mr. Trump remained an enthusiastic participant in the “boys on the bus” tradition of campaign reporting that dates back decades, where political journalists crisscross the country in proximity to the candidates they cover.

These so-called embed reporters often became the experts on America’s future leaders, granting readers and viewers a front-row seat. Arguably, candidates benefited, too: Although they had to cope with a dedicated press corps, the scrutiny offered preparation for the slings and arrows of holding national office, not to mention free advertising to constituents.

Mr. DeSantis, a Yale and Harvard graduate who often assails what he calls the “Acela media,” has spent years working to upend those assumptions.

Florida reporters have complained about a lack of access to Mr. DeSantis since he was elected governor in 2018, a victory fueled in part by dozens of appearances on Fox News. His anti-media hostility intensified during the pandemic, when he faced criticism for reopening Florida early; in March 2020, a staff writer for The Miami Herald was barred from a news conference about the virus.

In 2021, he held a lengthy news conference in April denying a claim by “60 Minutes” that he improperly rewarded a campaign donor; the “60 Minutes” segment received some pushback from press critics. The next month, the governor blocked every outlet except Fox News from attending a signing ceremony for a state law, prompting one local TV reporter to complain that Floridians “had their eyes and ears in that room cut off.”

By the summer, many news outlets were prohibited from attending a gathering of Florida Republicans, while conservative writers and podcasters were granted access. “We in the state of Florida are not going to allow legacy media outlets to be involved in our primaries,” Mr. DeSantis told a cheering crowd. His communications director, Lindsey Curnutte, later mocked reporters in a Twitter post aimed at “fake news journalists,” asking, “How’s the view from outside security?”

Mr. DeSantis has integrated this messaging into his campaign materials. In one recent ad, he donned aviator sunglasses and a flight uniform to pose as the “Top Gov,” intent on “dogfighting” the “corporate media.”

A top DeSantis communications aide, Christina Pushaw, has articulated the governor’s view of the news media in harsh terms. “They hate you, they hate us, they hate everything that we stand for, and I believe they hate this country,” she said in a speech in September, referring to the media.

In 2021, Ms. Pushaw’s Twitter account was suspended after she criticized a report by The Associated Press and urged her followers to “drag them.” Ms. Pushaw, then serving as the governor’s press secretary, wrote that she would put the A.P. reporter “on blast” if he did not modify the story; the reporter later received online threats.

The A.P. complained about “a direct effort to activate an online mob to attack a journalist for doing his job.” Ms. Pushaw responded that “drag them” was a slang term and did not amount to inciting a violent threat.

The incident prompted an outcry. “As someone who believes in the role of press in an open society, I found it unbelievable, not only what she was allowed to do, but encouraged to do,” said Barbara Petersen, a longtime First Amendment advocate who runs the Florida Center for Government Accountability. “I find it very disturbing, frankly, that this man, who is our governor, won’t talk to the people whose job it is to keep us informed.”

In December, the news outlet Semafor reported on Mr. DeSantis’s preference for local right-wing news outlets. The governor’s team pushed back, comparing reporters to “Democrat activists,” and high-profile conservatives offered encouragement.

“In an environment where corporate media are just straight up anti-G.O.P. propagandists — and extremely proud of it — why is Ron DeSantis the only person taking it seriously?” wrote Mollie Hemingway, editor of The Federalist.

Whether Mr. DeSantis can keep up his approach to media remains unclear. Mr. Trump may have mastered Twitter, but it was his ubiquity on big outlets like CNN and MSNBC that solidified his electoral appeal.

Even an anti-media message, it turns out, may need the media’s help.

“Going back to 2016, Trump was at his most effective when he was anti-media but would nevertheless talk to anybody,” said Mr. Conant, the former Rubio aide. “He was getting his message out on CNN and MSNBC every day, even though part of his message was that the media is terrible.”

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As always, there's an asterisk here that voters could end up being way dumber than expected. But I think "economy bad" isn't quite as strong a play right now as it usually is because anyone who's not all-in on Fox News knows that the pandemic caused a lot of it. Even if you think Biden could be doing better (and, well, he could) it's harder to straight-up blame him for the whole thing. Again, it plays well to the Fox News crowd, but so would anything. The pandemic is still ultimately a much easier and more obvious scapegoat, which also has the advantage of being petty much true, for whatever that's worth.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

sorry if this is off topic and if there's a better thread I'll delete and post there but, from a purely electioneering standpoint, how would Hilary campaigning in Wisconsin have changed anything? Like from a purely "motivating people to vote and bring friends" aspect, what would a speech or two have done?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Sir Lemming posted:

As always, there's an asterisk here that voters could end up being way dumber than expected. But I think "economy bad" isn't quite as strong a play right now as it usually is because anyone who's not all-in on Fox News knows that the pandemic caused a lot of it. Even if you think Biden could be doing better (and, well, he could) it's harder to straight-up blame him for the whole thing. Again, it plays well to the Fox News crowd, but so would anything. The pandemic is still ultimately a much easier and more obvious scapegoat, which also has the advantage of being petty much true, for whatever that's worth.
But Florida "thrived" despite the pandemic. If you believe what the news media tells you. And if it stays bad in 2024? Eventually you're going to blame the guy in charge.

Also, The Daily Wire was funded with just a several million dollars in seed funding in 2015, and just recently Steven Crowder was bickering with the business because they only wanted to pay him 50 million dollars to grift and not the 120 million dollars he wanted. I think the conclusion the conservative oligarchs came to with the midterms, wasn't to become more moderate but to ramp up the info war.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

sorry if this is off topic and if there's a better thread I'll delete and post there but, from a purely electioneering standpoint, how would Hilary campaigning in Wisconsin have changed anything? Like from a purely "motivating people to vote and bring friends" aspect, what would a speech or two have done?

She lost by 23,000 votes out of almost 2.8 million cast in what was the lowest turnout for a Presidential election in Wisconsin since at least 2004. I imagine any more effort she put into the state might've tipped the scales.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Florida's home insurance market is quite beleaguered, possible solutions to it would be deeply unpopular with huge swaths of voters, and the do-nothing approach to the problem implicitly relies on there being no significantly damaging hurricanes making landfall until after all of the elections take place. As long as enough national Dems are smart enough (no guarantees of that, I guess) to properly hammer him for what's happened under his leadership, I don't think he can generate a broad enough appeal in a general election.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Somaen posted:

Is he the competent fascist that will come after Trump that people were warning about? Seems like that was a fairly accurate prediction

It's still not clear that he's the competent fascist or that he will defeat Trump. He only appears powerful in the state against a joke state Democratic operation. Once he leaves the media bubble of presumed invincibility and has to speak in front of national voters and go up against his intellectual forefather, things can go very differently, as he's a charisma black hole and (R) voters suddenly have choices.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

If the GOP had run on the economy and not weird Internet nonsense they probably do a lot better than they did

The problem is that their primary electorate absolutely loves the weird internet nonsense. Any GOP candidate who focuses too hard on the basic boring fundamentals like "the economy" or "healthcare" risks facing a surprisingly serious primary challenge from some weirdo screaming about woke M&M ads or classroom litterboxes or something. So they have to run on some level of nonsensical internet bullshit and act fairly serious about it until the primary's over, and then they can't pivot away from that stuff so easily in the general.

Shrecknet posted:

It's impossible to tell. Wisconsin was rather close, but there's really no way of actually knowing how much campaigning it would have taken to flip it.

After all, it wasn't really supposed to be up for grabs in the first place - Wisconsin picked the Dem in every presidential election since Reagan, and Hillary had consistently led in the polls there by a fair margin. The Clinton campaign expected an easy win there, but instead she got fewer votes than Romney had gotten there just four years earlier. That suggests a deeper weakness that might not have evaporated with just a few stump speeches and a bunch of door-knocking. Besides, she campaigned hard in Pennsylvania (which had twice as many EVs) and still lost it by a similarly narrow margin.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

single-mode fiber posted:

Florida's home insurance market is quite beleaguered, possible solutions to it would be deeply unpopular with huge swaths of voters, and the do-nothing approach to the problem implicitly relies on there being no significantly damaging hurricanes making landfall until after all of the elections take place. As long as enough national Dems are smart enough (no guarantees of that, I guess) to properly hammer him for what's happened under his leadership, I don't think he can generate a broad enough appeal in a general election.
It’s also ridiculously expensive to live here now. Rent and home prices are some of the highest in the nation, particularly in South Florida.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

That suggests a deeper weakness that might not have evaporated with just a few stump speeches and a bunch of door-knocking. Besides, she campaigned hard in Pennsylvania (which had twice as many EVs) and still lost it by a similarly narrow margin.

Basically, the issue is she had to go back in time thirty years and avoid being associated with all the negative effects of NAFTA, globalization, and hollowing out the Midwest. Instead she was the senator from NYC and strongly associated with big business.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Morrow posted:

Basically, the issue is she had to go back in time thirty years and avoid being associated with all the negative effects of NAFTA, globalization, and hollowing out the Midwest. Instead she was the senator from NYC and strongly associated with big business.

Cannot be overstated how much people disliked Hillary for a variety of reasons that were and were not her fault. For all the strengths of his arguments, I don't think Bernie really becomes a Thing without Hillary.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem is that their primary electorate absolutely loves the weird internet nonsense. Any GOP candidate who focuses too hard on the basic boring fundamentals like "the economy" or "healthcare" risks facing a surprisingly serious primary challenge from some weirdo screaming about woke M&M ads or classroom litterboxes or something. So they have to run on some level of nonsensical internet bullshit and act fairly serious about it until the primary's over, and then they can't pivot away from that stuff so easily in the general.

Yeah, and they also want to avoid having their voters realize that the GOP's solutions to "the economy" might hurt them. Screaming about trans people lets them completely sidestep that.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s also ridiculously expensive to live here now. Rent and home prices are some of the highest in the nation, particularly in South Florida.

The amount of properties that sit unoccupied during 8 months out of the year down here is, quite frankly, nauseating. No loving rear end in a top hat from Quebec should be allowed to own a second home here in the US while one person sleeps homeless under the sky at night, I don't give a gently caress how people try and justify it.

And Airbnb houses/condos that sit empty 3 out of 4 weeks of every 8 out of 12 months of the year. I've made it a habit to toss bags of dog poo poo into their backyards.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

My crystal ball tells me that Trump will probably win because he's the only one with charisma and I don't think most people have actually heard DeSantis speak. My calculation is Trump runs and wins. If DeSantis runs and beats Trump, then Trump will be on the sidelines screaming about stolen elections and republicans stabbing him in the back the entire time and significantly depress turnout.

If Trump is dead or arrested, I think DeSantis has a serious shot at presidency.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lib and let die posted:

And Airbnb houses/condos that sit empty 3 out of 4 weeks of every 8 out of 12 months of the year. I've made it a habit to toss bags of dog poo poo into their backyards.

We had to pass an ordinance here to limit how many VRBO type bullshit places can be around because so many companies were coming in and buying buildings just to remodel them into a bunch of vacation rental spaces. This jacked up the prices of every other spot.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

My crystal ball tells me that Trump will probably win because he's the only one with charisma and I don't think most people have actually heard DeSantis speak. My calculation is Trump runs and wins. If DeSantis runs and beats Trump, then Trump will be on the sidelines screaming about stolen elections and republicans stabbing him in the back the entire time and significantly depress turnout.

If Trump is dead or arrested, I think DeSantis has a serious shot at presidency.

Trump vs. DeSantis is going to be fun to watch at least.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, and they also want to avoid having their voters realize that the GOP's solutions to "the economy" might hurt them. Screaming about trans people lets them completely sidestep that.

The thing is screaming about trans people isn't actually a winning issue. It works with evangelical weirdos and retirees who watch Fox News 12 hours a day in Republican primaries but not when normal people are voting.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

James Garfield posted:

The thing is screaming about trans people isn't actually a winning issue. It works with evangelical weirdos and retirees who watch Fox News 12 hours a day in Republican primaries but not when normal people are voting.

I'd argue that the sort of legislation coming down in chud states proves that screaming about trans people still results in harm being done.

An example: https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1617518566953349120

All in an effort to stop 'groomer' adults from turning innocent precious children into trans (and lgbt) monsters! This bill will result in a chilling effect on open conversations, reduce educators ability to educate, and work to create more of a social stigma around queer people.

Some feel its not a winning tactic for future elections, I say its harming people today, and shouldn't be dismissed so easily.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Meanwhile, in other 2024 election news: Ruben Gallego officially crosses the Rubencon

quote:

Gallego launched his campaign with videos in English and Spanish, highlighting his humble beginnings as the son of an immigrant mom. If elected he would become the first Latino senator in what has become one of the most competitive states in the country.

A Sinema aide declined to comment on Gallego’s announcement.

Gallego is the first major candidate to jump into the race. His long-expected campaign comes as Sinema’s intentions remain a mystery; the first-term senator has not said whether she will run for re-election as an independent in 2024.

Time to find out if there's more to being a universally beloved maverick than repeatedly loving over your putative party

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
We are literally talking about a 2024 run for president.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dull Fork posted:

I'd argue that the sort of legislation coming down in chud states proves that screaming about trans people still results in harm being done.

An example: https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1617518566953349120

All in an effort to stop 'groomer' adults from turning innocent precious children into trans (and lgbt) monsters! This bill will result in a chilling effect on open conversations, reduce educators ability to educate, and work to create more of a social stigma around queer people.

Some feel its not a winning tactic for future elections, I say its harming people today, and shouldn't be dismissed so easily.

Huh, my wife is a Florida teacher and this doesn't line up with anything she's been told in any official capacity.

e: Ah, I see. The misleading headline is meant to provoke the idea that school libraries are on lockdown across the state, when it's just one one incredibly chuddy school system.

Do better.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

Huh, my wife is a Florida teacher and this doesn't line up with anything she's been told in any official capacity.

e: Ah, I see. The misleading headline is meant to provoke the idea that school libraries are on lockdown across the state, when it's just one one incredibly chuddy school system.

Do better.

Eat my rear end, don't take your poor assumptions as my intent.

Don't minimize that its happening. Harm done in a small area is still harm loving done.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dull Fork posted:

Eat my rear end, don't take your poor assumptions as my intent.

Don't minimize that its happening. Harm done in a small area is still harm loving done.

You seem to be having an awfully emotional reaction, which is exactly the intent that drives these kinds of misleading headlines.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Lib and let die posted:

You seem to be having an awfully emotional reaction, which is exactly the intent that drives these kinds of misleading headlines.

What's even the "misleading" part of the headline? Sounds like you're the one assuming [All] in front of it, which isn't even implied, IMO.

On top of that, the author put the specific county where this is occurring in the very first sentence....

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Kalit posted:

What's even the "misleading" part of the headline? Sounds like you're the one assuming [All] in front of it, which isn't even implied, IMO.

On top of that, the author put the specific county where this is occurring in the very first sentence....

The referenced tweet opens with

quote:

Florida teachers are being told to remove all books from their classroom libraries OR FACE FELONY PROSECUTION
Not "Manatee County, FL teachers are being told to remove all books...."

The ambiguity is the point.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Certainly reads as a misleading headline to me. Without a qualifier like "some" or "local," seems like the natural inference would be "[all] Florida teachers." That was my first impression, anyway.

Yes, you can get more info by reading the actual article, but that's a given.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
The title is slightly misleading as it suggests that teachers across Florida are clearing out their classroom libraries and not just one district (so far, though the article suggests it will likely spread). Not sure it's worth getting into a slapfight over the headline.

I would ask you to please refrain from using "eating rear end" as an invective. Here in D&D we maintain a positive attitude and welcoming climate regarding rear end eating.

edit:

quote:

Similar policies will be implemented in schools across Florida. Some Florida schools do not have a media specialist, making the process even more cumbersome.

so it's unlikely to just be this one district anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Morrow posted:

The issue is DeSantis didn't run on the economy, his brand is all about making Florida a place that no one who had children ever wanted to live in.

No, the issue is that his opponent was Charlie Crist. The Florida Democratic party is an absolute dumpster fire, but the brightest, smelliest flame in it is Charlie Crist.

The main reason for the national popularity of DeSantis is that he's just a name that people have heard. He hasn't actually been around long enough or done anything to actually be put front and center in front of the voters of 49 other states. To them, he's the Governor of a Red State that makes the libs angry. As such, he's super popular and totally the guy they'd hypothetically vote for. He's one fraction of a step more real than Generic Republican.

Fritz the Horse posted:

The title is slightly misleading as it suggests that teachers across Florida are clearing out their classroom libraries and not just one district (so far, though the article suggests it will likely spread). Not sure it's worth getting into a slapfight over the headline.

I would ask you to please refrain from using "eating rear end" as an invective. Here in D&D we maintain a positive attitude and welcoming climate regarding rear end eating.

edit:

so it's unlikely to just be this one district anyway.

The main focus of the State Government is allowing removing as many chains as they can that have been keeping local governments from going full Dominionism. This is amplified by the migratory and geriatric nature of the Florida electorate, which has a strong inclination to freak out about the drat kids they have astoundingly no ties to being both being terrible and being brainwashed into being terrible.

Local education is usually loving terrible because local voters are loving idiots. However in most states the local voters aren't significantly made up of people who have neither familial or social ties to the children. Florida is "blessed" with large numbers of out of state retirees and childless transplants who don't even have a modicum of ties that would keep them from being fine with destroying all the local children.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

I guess I expected someone who posts in D&D as often as you do to... actually read the article. I guess that was a wrong assumption to make. Sorry for not including 'read the article and not the miserable headline from twitter, designed for maximum engagement, and clicks'. I thought that would have been basic expectations in D&D.

So let me assure you, my emotional reaction isn't because of the clickbaity article headline, its you, implying I need to 'do better'. When you loving missed what I was pointing out in the first place because you couldn't get past the headline.

So lemme spell it out HB 1467, was passed by the Florida STATE legislature. This specific county IN FLORIDA, took that law, and ran with it to result in what the Article I posted discusses. It also mentions this in the article itself but again, I'm saving you time reading it.

Do better

rear end eating is great, which is why I'd rather Lib and Let die do that than continue to post bullshit where they don't bother to read past the headline.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Gyges posted:

No, the issue is that his opponent was Charlie Crist. The Florida Democratic party is an absolute dumpster fire, but the brightest, smelliest flame in it is Charlie Crist.

It's a hard call, but Demings was a spectacularly awful choice, as well. Not only was she a pig, she was Officer Bumblefuck, who had her gun stolen out of her parked, unlocked pig wagon.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2009-03-25-demings25-story.html

Who're the demographic for ads like this???? It's Ring-equipped liberal homeowners that archive footage every time someone in a hoodie gets recorded in their neighborhood on their camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk4IHKuy5F8

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Manatee is not a particularly chuddy county if you go by electoral results.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Desantis is terrible and will never win the general, but i do think he'll mop the floor with Trump.

Trump is weak. Vulnerable. A loser many times over. His 'core' is a shrinking laughing stock. And he's tied up in so many courts.

Walker could beat trump.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It depends on the venue. If Trump is allowed to get on stage and be Trump® with little to no moderation, he can probably sling enough mud to look strong despite reality.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Desantis could win if he and Trump were the only major candidates, but there's no way only two Republicans run and Trump will win easily if there are several candidates.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

All trump really needs is for a couple awkward/loser vibe also ran candidates to be on stage at the first debate that he can mercilessly dunk on and it’ll put him right back in his groove. Although if it’s a 10 person stage and literally everyone else comes out at him right out of the gate maybe that would throw him off balance.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I don't understand why people think DeSantis couldn't win the general after Trump won it in 2016? Like what negative qualities does DeSantis have that Trump didn't? Trump wasn't charismatic either. I don't think chuds care about charisma, in fact they want someone to be as outwardly evil as they are and DeSantis will definitely deliver when it comes to that.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

I don't understand why people think DeSantis couldn't win the general after Trump won it in 2016? Like what negative qualities does DeSantis have that Trump didn't? Trump wasn't charismatic either. I don't think chuds care about charisma, in fact they want someone to be as outwardly evil as they are and DeSantis will definitely deliver when it comes to that.

Trump was charismatic.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is Trump charismatic now?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Trump is very charismatic to chuds. While chuds like the things that DeSantis is doing, he does not excite them as a person like Trump did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I don't think people realize just how much the midterms hurt Trump.

It's not just the establishment GOP anymore. Even Trump's MAGA base is fractured.

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1616055685011197954

quote:

Nov. 8, 2022, was one of the worst days of former president Donald Trump’s political career. Not only did his handpicked candidates apparently cost the GOP winnable races — and possibly the Senate majority — there was also, on the opposite side of the coin, a significant GOP success: Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’s (R) resounding 19-point victory in what had been up until recently a swing state.

Suddenly, Republicans had yet more reason to doubt the electoral viability of Trump and Trumpism. And just as suddenly, they were practically slapped across the face with a readily available 2024 alternative.

Polls of the 2024 race since then have been piecemeal and mostly focused on the GOP primary, showing DeSantis eroding and perhaps erasing Trump’s status as the presumptive favorite. (We’ve had DeSantis ahead of Trump in our 2024 GOP nomination rankings for a while now.) But the few that have compared Trump and DeSantis in general election matchups appear to confirm the difference in viability.

Most recently came a survey from a GOP pollster for the Club for Growth. It shows Trump trailing President Biden by eight points in a 2024 rematch, but DeSantis with a three-point lead (which is inside the margin of error) — which amounts to a gap of 11 points between their respective margins.

That group has turned away from Trump in recent months and obviously prefers DeSantis. But other, nonpartisan polls bear the gap out too.

A USA Today poll from December showed virtually the same gap, with Trump down seven points but DeSantis up four. A Yahoo News/YouGov poll last month showed a smaller difference, but a difference nonetheless: Trump trailed Biden by four, while DeSantis was tied with him.

Then there’s a Marquette University poll from shortly after the 2022 midterms. It showed Trump trailing Biden by 10, but DeSantis tied.

That poll in particular seems to show the shift at play. It tested both matchups repeatedly over the course of 2022. And there was little difference throughout the year — until after the election, when the gap yawned.

That 10-point deficit for Trump against Biden is on the high end of his 2024 polls, and Marquette is a worse poll for both Republicans than most others. But the key is the difference in their performances. And it’s similar across multiple different polls now.

So why the difference? A couple of key groups stand out: women and independent voters.

The Club for Growth poll shows a 20-point gap on the margins when it comes to independents (i.e. DeSantis plus-11, Trump minus-9), while YouGov shows a 12-point gap, and the USA Today poll shows a 22-point gap. There is little difference between the two candidates in the Marquette poll, which didn’t push hard for independents to choose one of them. (Its survey question allowed respondents to choose “someone else.”)

As for women, the gap is 11 points in DeSantis’s favor in the Marquette poll, nine in the Club for Growth poll, seven in the USA Today poll and two in the YouGov poll.

It is, of course, very early days. DeSantis is an unknown quantity to many Americans and isn’t even in the race, as Trump is — at least nominally. Much can change as national voters get to know the alternative, and there’s no guarantee that they will embrace DeSantis as much as Florida has. Florida is certainly its own political state, as the results of the 2022 election showed. (Republicans did well there and in states like New York and Ohio, while the verdict elsewhere was mixed, at best.)

But if you’re on DeSantis’s team and you’re looking at the race ahead, you can see the case for his candidacy come into focus in these surveys.

And if you’re the GOP more broadly, you’re seeing the opportunity to turn (and perhaps the necessity of turning) the page on Trump, because it’s become even clearer he could be a liability in yet another election. Previous polls have shown Republicans increasingly think they’d be better off with a hypothetical “someone else” in 2024, and these new polls suggest they’re right.

It's still anyone's game, but Trump is hurting.

The question is, if the tides start to turn against Trump, what's his play and what does the GOP play back?

He could run third party and almost ensure their defeat, but of course he wouldn't win a three party race either so he wouldn't want to go with that option unless it was his only play out of pure spite. If he could use the threat of a third party run as leverage for something else however, that would be more ideal.

Also, for the general, if it is DeSantis, these polls look good for us because Independents and Women are probably who DeSantis would end up losing the most when he finally declares and people start to get a real look at what he's like and what he's done in Florida.