Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yes, there's a considerable amount more.

Thank God. Just seemed like a major ascian downgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shinjobi posted:

I've known Fandaniel for all of 5 minutes and this dude sucks.

Please tell me there's more to our antagonists than "I'm the joker baby" as I'm about to start Endwalker proper.

There's more to your antagonists than "I'm the Joker, baby" as you're about to start Endwalker proper.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Please tell me there's more to our antagonists than "I'm the joker baby" as I'm about to start Endwalker proper.
Call him Onlyfans Daniel.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

Thank God. Just seemed like a major ascian downgrade

Emet is still cooler, so you're technically correct. But Fancy Dan does rise above his first appearance.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Personally, I think he gets much worse.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I appreciate how right after appearing, Fandaniel immediately says "I would like to make it clear that I don't have any hidden depths; I'm just an awful, awful guy and I insist that you respect that," prompting people to immediately insist he must have them.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Bleck posted:

This is a pro, not a con

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bleck posted:

This is how you know the writing is good.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Shinjobi posted:

Yes, but also... no.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

He chose the perfect face that's for drat sure

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Shinjobi posted:

Bottom Text

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

He chose the perfect face that's for drat sure

He is so infinitely punchable, it's quite amazing

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

people hated solus in 4.4 too so it tracks

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah people reacted to emet exactly how they reacted to fandaniel 4.X and 5.X

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think Solus's introduction was more immediately compelling and fun than Fandaniel's, but Fandaniel had the great moment in his intro where he's being The Joker and Zenos just seems incredibly bored so he rules too

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I love to hate Fandaniel but he definitely improves in Endwalker.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
https://twitter.com/Weszor/status/1617575160617353244

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Arist posted:

I think Solus's introduction was more immediately compelling and fun than Fandaniel's, but Fandaniel had the great moment in his intro where he's being The Joker and Zenos just seems incredibly bored so he rules too

"the evil lovely empire was meant to be evil and lovely the whole time" wasn't a great look

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Farg posted:

yeah people reacted to emet exactly how they reacted to fandaniel 4.X and 5.X

Yeah but then Emet-Selch was cool and Fandaniel continued to not only be lame but somehow made a significant chunk of the previously established lore also lamer. He sucks!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vitamean posted:

"the evil lovely empire was meant to be evil and lovely the whole time" wasn't a great look

I thought it was fun :shrug:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I think I would have been okay with Fandaniel just being an evil bastard but I don't hate how he got fleshed out in EW.

In other content: Had a Seal Rock game yesterday where the other two teams insisted on fighting each other the whole game over B rank nodes so it's the first time in a while I didn't hit BH5, but also I thought it was funny that I didn't have to heal at all

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Bleck posted:

Yeah but then Emet-Selch was cool and Fandaniel continued to not only be lame but somehow made a significant chunk of the previously established lore also lamer. He sucks!

turn your monitor on

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I need a version of this with that scene where Elaine is putting the money down on the table while Jerry laughs with the cigar in his mouth

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'm loving the auto umbrella so much. It's such a tiny thing but it feels good

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bleck posted:

You're dumb kid, sorry!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Emet showing up, giving a bad guy cacklespeech and then getting shot in the head only to poke his head back into frame in another body is peak villain comedy

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Farg posted:

turn your monitor on

much like you're posts

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zaggitz posted:

Emet showing up, giving a bad guy cacklespeech and then getting shot in the head only to poke his head back into frame in another body is peak villain comedy

So Emet is just Cait Sith from 7?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/juvijourneys/status/1617657133029548034?t=tjJoxh6GM63aF7JUcCYnCw&s=19

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Huge respect to my boy Nero for realising that being best friends with your rival gives you way more opportunities to gently caress with them.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Huge respect to my boy Nero for realising that being best friends with your rival gives you way more opportunities to gently caress them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://twitter.com/spofiee/status/1617668666845458432

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

When you go to North Shards to grab a regular-rear end fish that you somehow never picked up in your log, and accidentally catch a Kuno the Killer that you didn't even need.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Patch notes for 6.31. Aside from The Ultimate, they fixed a few things:

quote:

• An issue during the extreme trial implemented in Patch 6.3 wherein player casting was interrupted by certain enemy actions.
  • An issue during the raid dungeon Alphascape V4.0 (Savage) wherein the areas of effect for boss actions Diffuse Wave Cannon and Oversampled Wave Cannon did not display in full.
  • An issue when using the warrior action Shake It Off wherein the amount of HP recovered when only healing self was incorrect under certain conditions.
  • An issue wherein actions with a forward-facing cone or straight-line area of effect would strike in the direction of the selected target, as well as the direction the executing character was facing under certain conditions.
  • An issue wherein the conditions to trigger Fisher's Intuition at Seagazer Shoals were incorrect.
  • An issue wherein certain wild animals in the island sanctuary did not appear under certain conditions, despite fulfilling necessary requirements.
  • An issue wherein selecting the glamour buttons in the Trust window would not apply intended changes.

And there's a warning about something they didn't get to fix, so keep an eye out if it affects you:

quote:

An issue wherein the icons were switched for arcanist/summoner and scholar weapons obtainable in the Omega Protocol (Ultimate).

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yes, there's a considerable amount more.

Stuff like Danny is why I try to go into things with an open mind.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Eventful day in Eorzea, today.

There was a wedding. Spudz & Ruby being the ones tying the knot this time.

Here, the cute couple enters the sanctum.

Oh, sorry. Here they are.

First serious injury of the night, 3 minutes after vows taken.

Then the lovely couple make their exit, mount their frighteningly large marriage chocobo, and fly off to slay an S-rank monster nearby in the Sylphwood. As is custom.

The new property owners of the FC are getting their places organized. I was invited to visit the House of Grem located in Ishgard, which was excitedly described in FC chat as "maximalist" in nature... and described by the surrounding neighbors as "a blight."

This is the right ward, but I wonder where it could be?

Oh! There it is. Eye-watering in its incandescence. Higher resolution. Though, I regret that I didn't better capture the fullness of the wondrous visual cacophony of the lawn fixtures.

There's even room in the basement for activities.

It's only proper to sign the book as you leave.

Thank you to everyone who let me be a part of their evening. I had a good time!

Crackerjack fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 24, 2023

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
For those interested in watching an overall look at the progress people are making through the new Ultimate, the Mogtalk stream is up. They're doing a pre-party/pre-stream thing for the next bit until servers are back up from maintenance. They've got their tracking page up, too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think that a big difference between Fancy Daniel's 5.x appearances and Emet's 4.x appearances is how they influence the story in them, because they kinda do it in reverse ways.

Let's be honest, Emet did absolute gently caress-all in the Stormblood patches: he flounced around the throne room, got shot, continued to flounce around, and basically didn't actually influence anything. What he instead did was infodump; he provided information that greatly recontextualized the Garlean Empire (Personally, I would argue he made it worse), as well as set up the information that made Black Rose the threat it actually ended up being. He did nothing, but changed everything.

Onlyfansdaniel was the opposite. During 5.x he basically provides no new information, and almost seems to actively avoid providing any insight to anything at all. No, Grim Fandaniel is a man of action, he actively pushes his plan forward even as he tells you the absolute minimum amount of information about it. He sets up the 'what' of Endwalker, but the 'why' and 'how' are complete mysteries.

That might explain why people seemed overall warmer to Emet in that leadup, even if they weren't broadly fans of either. Emet provided meatier speculation material while not actually harming anything anybody held close, while Fantastic Dan, Airing Sunday Mornings On CBBC knocked over the board and threatened things we liked while forcibly setting up for Endwalker. One of them is a much 'softer' type of villain setup, while the other is basically daring you to hate him right from the jump.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think the reveal that Fandaniel was hat man really helped put him over.